Raspberry Tart | New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
newglarusbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

Added by xlperro on 04-21-2002

Ratings: 3,818 |  Reviews: 941

4.88/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Let’s face it, this is about as good of a fruit beer as you can get with only the current defunct Belgian Red to rival it. This pours a cloudy, reddish color with a fizzy light pink head. The aroma erupts with the scent of sweet raspberries. The taste is amazing with sweet delicious raspberries. Only downside is that you really do need a drinking buddy otherwise 1 bottle is way too much sweetness for 1 person alone.

4.41/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750ml
$7.95
Village Dell and Wine Shop, Rice Lake

New Glarus's Raspberry Tart shows a slight gurgle as it dumps into my flute that dark, raspberry red with a fizzy and short lived pink head of one finger. The head does leave some patchy lacing behind which is more then I expected from the start. This beer looks quite viscous and the consistency reminds me of tomato juice leaving some residue on the glass with each swirl. There's no possibility of seeing through the body of this beer but some pinkish highlights show up along the bottom of the glass when backlit. This is a rich looking fruit beer.

The first thing that I'm hit with is...raspberries, both ripe and slightly under ripe. As a matter of fact raspberries are the only thing I pick up in the nose but they are magical, both sweet and tart. The smell of this beer just leaps out of the glass and fills the surrounding area. How New Glarus got such a rich pure raspberry aroma into this beer is beyond me.

The incredible raspberry richness is from front to back in the flavor of this beer. The fruit is so incredibly pure and unadulterated with a nice tartness on the swallow. The sweetness of the berry leads the way until that finish. The tartness on the swallow works its way back up the tongue and leaves the slightest of tingles throughout the entire mouth. The berry freshness of this beer is incredible.

The body on Raspberry Tart is full but the snappy champagne like carbonation keeps things moving at the perfect pace. The carbonation is prickly enough to add a little zest and the tartness lingers until the next drink, although mildly.

This beer goes down incredibly easy and it's actually hard to stop drinking. I haven't met a person yet that doesn't enjoy Raspberry Tart when I open a bottle and those people run the spectrum form craft beer lovers to people who can't stand beer.

Raspberry Tart is in a category of its own when it comes to fruit beers and I can't see it getting touched by any others. I prefer this to the Belgian Red but both are great beers to have around at all times. You never know when it'll be the perfect opportunity to open a bottle either.

Reviewed: 8/25/08

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

4.09/5  rDev -5.8%

A - Deep Red raspberry color (to be expected) with a one finger white head.

S - Fresh raspberries, a little acidity

T - Now this is actually a fruit beer I can drink, not too sweet, but a very natural raspberry sweetness and flavor. not mouth-puckeringly sour (which I like) but sour enough to make me enjoy something more than just the raspberry flavor.

M - Crisp and tart, almost slightly champagne-y

I typically find almost all fruit beer to be syrupy sweet. I still only had a small glass of this, as i prefer bitter to sweet, b

Since the wife likes Frambois and many other fruit beers, I have gone out of my way to try to find beer she can appreciate as much as I do. So, we took a trip up to WI to pick up some NG stuff for both of us. Well worth the quick trip from Chicago. Lived up to the hype

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%