Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Raspberry Tart | New Glarus Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
Raspberry TartRaspberry Tart

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

Added by xlperro on 04-21-2002

Reviews: 923 | Ratings: 3,713
3.95/5  rDev -9%

Thick cloudy unfiltered cranberry juice color with pink foam that quickly settles to some small bubbles.

Intense raspberry, cranberry, cherry aroma thats sweet and tangy smelling.

This beer looks and smells like a raspberry vinaigrette, but it tastes more like cranberry juice and cherry wine. Very intense and concentrated fruit. This is pretty tart, but for how sweet it is I'm surprised it's rated so highly.

Mildly carbonated, tart acidity feels very juicy. Pretty drinkable if you don't mind the sweetness.

4.02/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured form the wax sealed bottle into a Sam imperial glass. Intense magenta cloudy color. Definitely not a color I can say I have had in a beer ever. Smell- Rasberry!!! Rasberry mixed with chambord and more rasberry. Flavor is of a Rasberry slush puppy, just better! Completely different than anything I have had (and I have had the belgian red and loved it). great flavor, but I am glad I shared this one!

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

Huge thanks to Lordsloth for the chance to try this unbelievable brew!!

Pours out a murky reddish plum color with a very small head into a champagne flute. The wife commented that it looked like melted raspberry sorbet.

Lovely aroma of pureed raspberries that also has a bit of a vinous quality. Searching for something else as it warms but I continue to get fresh sweet raspberries..

This brew is loaded with raspberries!!! It's very rich and has one of the most luxurious mouthfeels of any brew that I've ever had. This is just excellently crafted... It's very, very sweet but also extremely tart at the same time, just what I was expecting plus some. I keep getting waves upon waves of fresh raspberries with each sip... Just incredible...

Well, on a night when I just had the best IPA that I've ever tried (Alesmith IPA), I've now had the best fruit beer that I've ever had. And this ain't even close. My wife is begging me to acquire some more of this one and there's no doubt that I will. Kudos to New Glarus for an incredible brew that definitely lives up to the hype...

4.67/5  rDev +7.6%

Picked up a few of these in trades at Dark Lord Day 08. Have been jonesing for Raspberry T since I had a tiny sip months before - it blew my mind then and I knew I had to acquire some! It's good to finally crack one with friends....

Pours an absurdly thick, dense blood-orange red with a deep pink head that foams up and subsides to ring the edge of my glass. Leaves some spotty uneven lacing. Looks like liquid jam. Really.

Ok. This smells absolutely unreal. Fresh picked sour raspberries and rich, lush fruit sugar explode into my nose... I feel like I'm smelling raspberry concentrate. There's a hint of noble hop and a slight sour yeast note, but 90% of this is just variations on fruity sour raspberries and sugar. I cannot believe how succulent this smells. You really just have to experience it for yourself. Exceptional is the word here.

The raspberry assault continues on into my mouth; even the slightest sip knocks your senses for a loop with distilled berry flavor, all tarted up and sexy in a deep red dress... ugh, this is stupendous -- if you like raspberries. It's intense, and shockingly only 4%. There's an upfront sugar sweetness but it soon gives way into a lovely tart sourness that finishes with a lingering fresh berry aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is pretty darn perfect for this, a little thick and sticky with a spritzy carbonation level that reminds one of fizzy cider. Goes down easy and leaves a wonderful dry berry calling card. You can drink this one cool or let it warm, it's great either way.

New Glarus has an amazing fruit beer here - one of the best I've had and I've had a few. Raspberry Tart is simply world-class and you should try it. You'll cry when the bottle is empty, but it must be done!

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%

Thanks to tayner for sending this tasty brew my way!

Pours a thick and cloudy purply rosy red with a light pink kriek lambic like head. Nose is fresh raspberry and sweet tart. Taste abounds in fresh red raspberries. Super sweet at first, and a very nice tart flavor on the finish. This feels like it should have seeds in it still. like raspberry sorbet! Mouthfeel is pretty much what you would expect, not too thin like alot of fruit beers tend to be. Great drinkability, but the sweetness prevents me from having more than a glass. A very very good concoction from New Glarus. Looking forward to trying more of their beers, especially the belgian red and the unplugged series. Fantastic fruit beer. I think I will break the other bottle out next time a have a lady in the house! Bow chicka bow wow!

4.57/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks to dhr for sending out this one. Shared with balberts after a long day, poured into wine glasses from the 750mL bottle at fridge temperature.

A: Cloudy and deep red. Slight pinkish head.

S: As one might expect, the smell is dominated by raspberries. Smells very sweet, not much sourness.

T: Wonderful and complex. Sourness that stays with you, tremendous amounts of raspberries. There is more to this than some other fruit beers, and I really like it.

M: A little thick, but pleasant otherwise.

D: Refreshing, goes down smooth and easy. Even with the sourness, I could reach for another one.

Happy I got the opportunity to try this one. I think I might try to get another bottle, if someone in WI is nice enough.

4.35/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to flyingbison for this Midwestern treasure. From 750 to Bristol Motor Speedway mug...

Deep raspberry red with thick, bready raspberry sherbet-colored head. Cloudy, frothy and nicely carbonated.

Strong aroma of fresh raspberry puree. Natural, perfumy creaminess with slight kick of yeast and carbonation.

Beautiful character of naturally fermented raspberries. Tasty, yeasty presence blends well to make this quite fulfilling. Extremely tangy with moderate carbonation - similar to a champagne-juice mix.

Feels like a creamy version of a sour raspberry soda - well-balanced with no aftertaste; bubbles create interesting zip on finish.

The ABV is quite manageable and this is awesome stuff. Surprisingly it's quite filling! Can imagine only 1 or 2 per sitting to enjoy and savor. Excellent!

4.47/5  rDev +3%

I notice I'm not the first to try this delight thanks to Lucy Saunders. Tried this one tonight at a beer/cheese pairing at Madison's Fromagination with St. Pauline (Capri Cheeses). Lucy gave a great presentation, and although I did not find every pairing worked for me, it was very informative, and a lot of fun. She really knows her stuff, and the staff set up for a nice evening. The raspberry beer and cheese were both excellent, and many of the others in attendance liked the combination, but I felt the flavors of both overpowered each other instead of complementing.
A-Poured a deep hazy pinkish-red with a head that took on a lighter version of the same shade.
S-Fresh red raspberries, as if they were freshly-picked. I may have picked up some faint malt, but only because I know it's in there. The raspberries really dominate in a wonderfully natural way.
T-Refreshing red raspberries bring a perfect blend of sweet and tart. Although it is not very complex, the raspberry flavor is so good that I really couldn't care less if I find anything else or not, and it is very bold.
M-Terrific body w/slight carbonation that picks the back of the soft palate makes for a good, fresh, smooth drink. The carbonation goes well with the tart.
D-Delectable. It is clear that New Glarus only put in the best ingredients available.

4.52/5  rDev +4.1%

New Glarus really knows how to do these fruit beers. They should talk to Dogfishhead about how to improve Fort.
Anyway, pours out a dense purple and blood red color, with a small pink head. Nose is raspberry jam and malts. Taste is wonderful very sweet zesty wild raspberry pie, with dense honey flavors and almost a spicy zing to it. Malts come through, and it ends up almost like a mead. Mouthfeel is food. Drinkability is fantastic, it's like a sessionable sweet beer.

4.44/5  rDev +2.3%

Thanks go out to Ughsmash for this wonderful brew

The bottle poured into my flute glass produced a quickly dissipating purple head. The body was a murky dark burgundy red

Aromas of raspberry along with raspberry and did I mention raspberry

Flavors of raspberry not overly sweet or tart a nice balance the carbonation was enough to clean the tongue and keep it light and drinkable

It is a dessert brew for sure the drinkability should be taken as such .It is a great way to finish of a great meal.

If it was in smaller bottles and more available to me I would love to try cooking with this brew

3.82/5  rDev -12%

Alright, so I put off this review long enough. Save it for a special occasion, save it for that perfect time, save it...

Dude, you don't even celebrate your own birthday. :sigh:

Strawberry foam, bubbles like a honey comb, the beer is the color & density of fruit preserves. Even as the head vanishes, the surface looks a bit uneven. It wobbles a little like half stiff Jello. I put the butter knife & English muffin away & get to work.

An intense shot of strawberry & raspberry Smuckers gurgles up the back of my sinuses. Actually it smells more like the poor man's Chambord, Chateau Monet. :P Seems just a little bit stronger then 4% should. There's a little stiffness on those full breaths I'm taking. Loads of sugar. You can just smell the Domino truck parked on the corner getting sticky in the hot afternoon sun.

Tart upfront with a slight bitter rind, a good amount of acidity, a strong spritz of carbonation, & a very mild grain finish. Almost like soda, but so much fuller. The sugar isn't overwhelming at any point, & isn't really the focus. It could of actually used a touch more sweetness, but maybe that's just what I'm in the mood for right now.

Served ice cold it is far less acidic then when it is warm. It gets a little too sharp with heat & slows my pace. Drastic differences in drinkability within fifteen degrees of separation. Loads of zesty bitterness & weight behind every sip. I breathe a little heavy after finishing off the bottle. :)

Thanks to both kmpitz2 & Pitmonkey for temporarily satisfying my gluttony. :)

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

There isn't much to describe here. As advertised, this tatstes like a raspberry tart. It has the color of blended raspberries, and it pours with a thin, pink, fizzy, head. The fruit flavor tastes incredibly fresh and not in the least artificial. This is a very refreshing change of pace.

3.9/5  rDev -10.1%

Bottle courtesy of Iowaherkeye. Thanks!
Pours a rich dense and hazy blood red with a lasting pinkish hued head in a flute-like glass. Smell is strong sour raspberries and sugar, and somewhat jam like. Taste is intensely sweet and almost as tart in the mouth. Very fruity, and drinks more like a thick raspberry soda or alcopop than beer, but still has elements of malted grains behind the huge raspberry sweetness. Strong flavor, and syrupy, but the mild mouth puckering tartness helped balance it out enough for me to really enjoy a couple glasses. Still easily one of the sweetest beers I've had, but I tend not to mind that too much.

4.37/5  rDev +0.7%

After the phenomenal Belgain Red, I was pretty excited to try this brew.

Pours a murky, brownish red. Quite a bit of carbonation. Effervescent mouthfeel, not the prettiest beer.

The taste is overwhelmingly raspberry. If you're sharing the bottle, that's a good thing, but if you're drinking it by yourself, a bit overwhelming. It's a sweet beer, and the carbonation helps cut down on the overload, but it can be a bit much. The raspberry taste is pretty much overwhelming.

4.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Reddish-purple, cloudy, with a thin head when pured that dissipates fast. The raspberrys in the aroma are awesome, and they carry over to the flavor. It is tart, maybe acetic, but in a most refreshing way. It is smooth as silk in the mouth, with a crisp finish. I think I get a little bit of anise aftertaste. The low alcohol makes this highly drinkable. It's really refreshing!

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Murky, turbid purple with a frothy purple head and sticky purple lace. I find it hard to believe that there are raspberries in this beer.

Smell: Raspberries, both sweet and sour, and nothing else. Perhaps this is one-dimensional, but it's one highly enjoyable dimension.

Taste & mouthfeel: Fresh raspberries, syrupy sweet but never cloying. Juicy and thick, yet remarkably refreshing. The finish is puckering and mildly sour, but ultimately clean.

4.54/5  rDev +4.6%

A-Viscous ruby-purple color with a pinkish head.

S-Spectacular, raspberries on top of raspberries....wow! A bit of sour notes in the background...good sour...not bad.

T-Ah, can you say raspberries? I mean I cannot really say anything else...what a wonderful brew!

M-Medium-heavy body-thick and full. Gets kind of syrupy towards the end...like a raspberry liquor!

D-Crazy good...but you had best love raspberries...that is all this is, and it does it oh so very well!

3.73/5  rDev -14.1%

Thank you to a friend for hooking me up. No clue how he got, but I'm glad I was able to acquire a bottle from him.

APPEARANCE: Pours into an Allagash tulip a dark burgundy red with a slightly darker than white head. It's takes a turbid pour to get going and ends up as a hearty collar with some splotchy bubbling.

SMELL: The smell is full of raspberries - both the real fruit kind and an extract-like kind. It's only slightly tart and funky and not much else.

TASTE: Again, major raspberry all around. It's slightly sweeter than one would like, but the tartness helps to give it some balance. There should be more to say, but mostly it would say "Raspberries!" This beer doesn't screw around.

MOUTHFEEL: Quite thick and syrupy with a low carbonation. I wish at least one of those 2 would be the opposite in order to lighten the beer up a bit.

DRINKABILITY: It's really delicious, but is probably a 'one of'. I'm definitely glad I split my bottle of this. This would be great paired with a dessert.

I'm feeling lucky I got to try this beer, but because of the effort involved getting it, I doubt I'll be having another for a while.

3.68/5  rDev -15.2%

This classic sent courtesy of my 2007 Secret Santa, cartdan - thanks again!

Well, the raspberry tart is sure all, raspberry. From the deep burnt raspberry pour (with a lite cherry head), to the aroma - all raspberry.

The quaff sure had a different take - almost a silky raspberry puree. Semi-sweet at the start, semi-tart at the finish. I really like that it wasn't to sweet, and had a dry mouth to it. A bit syrupy and sticky.

Daughter luved it, but wow, I don't think I could do more than a glass or two, but that's the way of the fruit beers. So it has a nice taste that I couldn't do very much of in a session.

4.49/5  rDev +3.5%

Thanks to littlebreeze and mred137 for cracking this open.

A: Pours like raspberry juice. Minimal fizzy head. Nice kirek appearance.

S: The strongest fruit beer smell over. Raspberries and then more raspberries. Sour smell towards the back.

T: Super strong raspberry then the tart and boy is this beer tart. There is a pause in the middle of the taste during which there is not much going on. Nice 2 stadge taste. Super fruity and super tart.

M: Almost feels like champagne on the tongue. Tons of carbonation. Syrupy on the tongue at the end.

D:Great desert beer. The sweetness cuts down the drink ability for me a little bit but this is a great treat.

3.15/5  rDev -27.4%

The aroma of the beer was full of sweet and tart raspberries and some malty sweetness in the background. No hops or alcohol on the nose.

The flavor of the beer was full of cloyingly sweet raspberries with a faint touch of tartness. In fact, it was like drinking carbonated sweet raspberry cider - the non alcoholic kind. Is this really a beer?

The carbonation was adequate, but the mouthfeel was deathly syrupy.

I did not really enjoy this as a beer. If it were bottled as a non-alcoholic raspberry cider, I would have believed it. IMO, it was a syrupy overrated mess, only slightly better than the WBR.

3.68/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Who you callin a tart? Poured a rather purplish-red hue of amber-brown color. How many other colors can we put in here. A fuzzy off-white head with a red hue as well. Very limited retention and lacing.

The nose is sweet with a more wine-cooler smell than beer. Raspberries dominate the nose with a somewhat acid backing. More of a pure raspberry versus more of a juicy like aroma. A subtle yeast note to it as well.

The taste is tricky. Sure it's a fruit beer that is a strong dominant raspberry flavor. And a more earthy tart flavor and leaves a sweeter puckering finish. BUT my problem here is what is its base style? If it is suppose to be a framboise, its lacks the malt balance and subtle Belgian characteristics. Overall it has more wine-cooler like flavors but I still like it. Torn here.

The body is sweet with a lot of residuals. The sweetness almost has a unattenuated feel to it. Makes it difficult to really drink a whole lot of. Carbonation is low. Although I enjoyed this beer for its unique qualities, I can't shake the wine cooler aspect of the beer. It is suppose to be a beer right?

4.62/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to LittleBreeze & MrEd137 who cracked open a bottle over dessert.

A- Murky ruby-red color with a very minimal red-tan head that disappears almost immediately. Absolutely no lacing.

S- Ripe raspberries. Ripe raspberries. and Ripe raspberries.

T- Tart, over-ripe raspberries with a lambic bitterness in the finish. First sip starts off sweet and subsequent sips become increasingly tart.

M- Thin -> Med body with minimal carbonation.

D- This is by all means a dessert beer & one to split with a few folks. The raspberry & tart are so intense as to prevent quick consumption. This one lives up to the hype.

3.95/5  rDev -9%

From my first trade with nflmvp. Thanks Steve.

This beer pours a dark ruby/purple like color and is fairly opaque with one finger of pink head sitting on top that receeds with no real lacing. The aroma is delicious, reminds me of raspberry jam. Strong ripe raspberry notes. The taste is pretty good. Ripe raspberry, slightly sweet too. I thought it would start to be a little cloying but did not seem to be that way. Some nice tart notes as well. Mouthfeel is full, creamy, slightly syrupy, and gently carbonated. Drinkability is high due to great flavors and low alcohol. It makes for a good dessert type beer. I will however recommend that this beer be shared with at least one other person, preferably more. I openned it to share with my girlfriend and she didn't want any. So I had to take out the 750 and found myself tired of it and slightly annoyed by the end. It was good, but by the end I was craving a more substantial beer. Had to have a weizenbock.

4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

thanks to objectivemonkey for this one

Great fruity tart raspberry smell right out of the bottle. Very little if any head when poured into a glass, mostly the kind of bubbles that you would see when pouring a fruit juice.

Very nice smooth and fruity flavor, barely tastes like a beer though it doesn't taste like a cider. Has a great drinkability and it took very little effort to make it through a 750ml bottle with the low ABV.

Looking forward to tasting the Wisconsin Belgian Red next.

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company