Raspberry Tart | New Glarus Brewing Company

Raspberry TartRaspberry Tart

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

Added by xlperro on 04-21-2002

Reviews: 924 | Ratings: 3,728
4.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a strawberry red with plenty of visible carbonation and a pink-tinted white head. The smell is one of slight sourness accompanied by overpowering fresh raspberries. The taste is much the same with an added tartness that complements the fruity sweetness of the raspberries perfectly. The mouthfeel is one of a good dose of carbonation on a fairly light-bodied beer; not too different from champagne, but perhaps a bit less carbonation. Drinkability is about as high as can be--with 4.0% abv, I'd have no problem going all night with this one.

4.39/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured out a clear, very bubbly, deep red color with a small, pink, fizzy head. It left no lace.

S - It smelled of sweet raspberries. That's about it, but it was a very good aroma.

T - It tasted very sweet and of great raspberry flavor. Really an amazing taste.

M - It was very crisp and fizzy with a slightly dry finish. A light bodied beer.

D - This is really rich and full of flavor. This truly is an amazing brew.

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear dark red with a layer of off white head that fades and leaves a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Sweet raspberry, smells like real fruit, not imitation. A bit sour.

Taste: Quite sweet with lots of raspberry flavor. A bit spicy in the finish. Raspberries really dominate.

Mouthfeel: On the thick side of medium body with mild, smooth carbonation and a slick finish.

Overall: This is a really nice fruit beer. I would definitely have it again.

3.77/5  rDev -13.1%

THanks to leakyfaucet12 for the chance at this one.

Very light fizzy head disappears faster than I can say head, mostly clear raspberry reddish brownish burnt sienna color.

Nose explodes with raspberries, light sweet syrup, touch off light malts, a bit candy, fresh raspberry juice and tart raspberry wine like.

Taste starts fairly sweet and gets more and more sweet until just overwhelming. Plenty of raspberry puree, light raspberry candy, bit of a tingly flavor and feel with some acidity and lactic, bit syrupy and very sweet, a bit of tart fruit, rich. Finishes with some light musty tart and bit sticky syrupy raspberry and bright berry fruit light spicy feel. Very jammy and way too sweet. Very little tartness.

Mouth is fairly light, bit if spicy acidic feel, decent carb, and just slides around the mouth nicely.

Drink is very meh, sooo sweet, just too sweet and barely tart, bit of a sticky finish and a bit syrupy, some acidity, and jammy.

4.87/5  rDev +12.2%

Lucent magenta with brilliant raspberry red highlights when backlit. The rosy pink head is more dense than expected and looks for all the world like a piece of shortcake saturated with berry juice. I doubt that much lace with be forthcoming, but that doesn't bother me in the least. This is a great looking fruit beer.

I have to hand it to the good folks at New Glarus. With Wisconsin Belgian Red and now Raspberry Tart, they've created the two finest fruit beer noses in all the world. I don't know how long it took to come up with the final recipe, but they've achieved raspberry beer perfection with regards to the aroma. It's both sweet and tart with nothing on display except the essence of the berries themselves. Wow! seems inadequate.

Raspberry Tart is as amazing as I thought it would be once I tasted Belgian Red. Check that, actually it's better. As in... better than I thought it would be and better than Belgian Red. It's probably too close to call, they're both the finest examples of their style in existence, but I can't imagine a better, more dizzyingly delicious concoction than that which sits before me at this moment. The fact that I like raspberries more than cherries is probably a factor.

As in the nose, there's very little present other than the berries themselves. What puts this beer into orbit is the complex combination of sweet and tart. I'm not enough of a zymurgist to know what aging in oak vats contributes or why the Hallertau hops need to be a year old. My guess is that at least the first of those is absolutely critical to the tangy fermented flavor that gives Razz Tart its soul and elevates it above mere fruit juice.

Even though I'm not big on pairing beer with sweets, I can't imagine a better accompaniment to a gooey fudge brownie or a dish of vanilla bean ice cream. I don't believe that it's at all unwarranted to call this the best fruit beer in the world. The sweetness limits drinkability somewhat, although if I use the question 'would I have another?' as my sole criterion, a bump in score would be a no-brainer.

My first thought was that the mouthfeel wasn't quite as thick and as syrupy as my memory of Belgian Red. Now, I'm not so sure. As the beer sits, it comes together beautifully and is now the very definition of heavily silky. This beer is a mouth party of the highest order! Since I have no idea how it could be improved... another perfect.

I don't know what else to say. I've used just about every adjective for 'great' that I can think of and I still feel that my ramblings have been inadequate to describe the... uh... greatness of Raspberry Tart. I hope this beer keeps as well as I think it does because I'll be clearing out Madison the next time I make the trip. Simply stunning.

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

22oz bottle into a Duvel snifter. Thanks to HopDerek for the split on this one.

Pours a clear dark amber (almost bloody) with a finger of off-white hued pink head that retained very nicely into a smooth, creamy covering that left little speckles of lace on the glass. The aroma is deep with BIG raspberry sweetness that is then complimented very nicely by a subtle sourness.

The taste is a full frontal blast of sweet raspberry puree, that much like the aroma, is balanced very nicely by a biting tartness. To top it off, there's even a fairly dose of prickly hop presence in the finish that keeps you on your toes. Quite the unique taste and one that I enjoyed immensely! The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a prickly carbonation and mouth coating feel.

Wow, what an insanely good fruit beer! The sweet fruit tones are very in your face but are kept in line perfectly by its tart and hoppy character. This was my first beer from New Glarus but by God, it won't be my last. Fantastic!

4.52/5  rDev +4.1%

A beautiful reddish body with a purpleish cast is capped by a short head of pink foam that quickly receeds to a thin collar and leaves little lacing about the glass. Fresh raspberries greet you in the nose and beckon you to take a sip! It's delicately effervescent carbonation tickles the tongue; and its medium body gives some girth to its sweet and tart flavors. The raspberry is quite authentic, and it's so juicy and puckeringly tart-sweet that you'd think you were drinking delicately carbonated raspberry juice! It finishes dry with a wash of acidity and some residual, lingering raspberry flavor. This is quite amazing, and it easily matches the intensity of some of the sweeter versions of raspberry lambic from Belgium. Brilliant!

4.57/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance: Pours a murky, pinkish-brown body with a pink-hued, bubbly head.

Smell: Rich, fresh raspberry fruit aroma with a touch of tartness. Maybe a lil' bit of heaven added, too.

Taste: It's delish! Raspberry compote with just the perfect balance of pleasing sweetness and tartness. Small tinge of bitter and oak character serve as a reminder that you're not simply feasting on fresh juice. Finishes with a long, lingering fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Unrivaled drinkability. I can say, quite categorically, that New Glarus Raspberry Tart is a phenomenal, incredibly delicious beer. It's a damn shame all fruit beers can't be this good.

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

Now lets talk a little bit about this one for a minute. I have been wanting to try this forever, and I just recently received not one, but two bottles of this brew. I really did not know what to expect going into it, but have heard it is simply outstanding. So needless to say the red wax coated 750 beckoned me from the start and I popped one open last night. Poured a very nice raspberry colored red with a small pink colored head and very nice carbonation visible throughout the session. The smell was rich with raspberry essence. Extremely strong so that nothing else could possibly come through. Now the flavor was to die for. I have never been the biggest fan of fruit beers in general, but this has just come to a whole new level. So sweet yet tart and sour at the same time, the flavor was so strong, yet not overpowering and not too sweet as to make you sick, it was in a word, perfect. It had the most perfect taste for this style I could have ever imagined. A great light body and great carbonation made it feel like water and there was just no hint of any kind of alcohol in this. This was by far one of the best brews I have ever had. I was raving mad about this all night long and easily killed the bottle myself. I just did not think anything could taste this good, this was fantastic. I would love to get my hands on as much as I could, I have to give it up here. This is one of the best drinks I have ever had, hands down, just wonderful. I would have to recommend this to everyone, go and get some!

Acquired via from fogdog courtesy of the 2009 Secret Bunny BIF, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 750ml wax-sealed bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright pinkish purple color, with a thin pink head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is all raspberries as you would expect and is very strong.

T: The taste is very tart and sour up front with the strong raspberry flavor. There's a little bit of sweetness that creeps in along with faint touches of wheat and hops. The malt character is thin on-target for this type of beer. The after-taste is sour.

M: Very crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty especially if you're into the raspberry flavor, goes down easily, not too filling, very mild kick, although I'm not a big lambic fan, this beer is right up there with the better lambics, sours and wine-like beers that I've had.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into my Lindemans campaign type flute.

Pours only 1/2 fingers of a dulled down pink colored head. Not the best retention or lace. Color is a very unique. The color is basically that of a raspberry. Red mixed with a magenta pink.

Aroma: Big surprise here, but I get a fresh raspberry aroma. A nice fresh fruity taste, but that is all I am really getting here. I like it, but I can't say I am too impressed.

Taste: This beer seems to be pretty straight forward to me: Raspberries and tartness, just like the bottle suggests. This beer really makes the lips pucker. Really can't taste any type of alcohol here. It tastes a lot like a juice.

Mouthfeel: Very sweet and tarty. This is a nice puckering beer. Medium bodied, surprisingly filling. Has a good amount of carbonation. Ends with a clean raspberry flavored aftertaste.

Overall, I am very impressed with this beer. It is surprisingly a big beer with a lot of flavor for how low the abv is. 4%??? That is crazy. I really like it, but I wish the nose would have been a little more flavorful. This beer is definitely worth a try. I had a hard time finishing the last 6 ounces of my bottle.

4.23/5  rDev -2.5%

A bit of a gusher, poured from the bottle into a Tired Hands stem/wine glass, light brown color mixed with strawberry red, clear, and a large, foamy pink-white head; decent retention, soapy lacing, bubbles came back to life after a gentle swirling. Nose is bittersweet, bready caramel infused with fresh raspberries. Taste is similar, tart raspberries up front (oh, I get it now!), good balance of sweetness. Not straight up juice like a Lindemanns Framboise; there's a good bready malt base in there to remind you this is a beer, a touch of bubblegum, and a leafy finish. Chewy mouthfeel, medium body, medium to low carbonation, with a few little bubbly streams visible rising from the bottom. A very enjoyable beer overall.

4.32/5  rDev -0.5%

A big thanks to cvaypai for this bottle. Craig keeps on hooking it up with the Wisconsin goods.

A: The pour is a clear, dark, ruby/garnet color with little to no head.

S: Great raspberry aroma. There's a wonderful mix of tartness and sweetness. Maybe a bit of cranberry as well.

T: Like the nose, there is a great balance of tart and sweet raspberry. The flavor is not candy-like such as other fruit beers.

M: The body is medium and the level of carbonation is fairly low. Somehow, it works though.

T: Much, much more drinkable than the Wisconsin Belgian Red. The lack of cloying sweetness is quite a nice surprise and makes this beer very enjoyable.

4.76/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I appreciated gottajiboo2 for sharing this with me and HombreWing this was a special treat.

I enjoyed this from the bottle in a glass.

The color is like nectar hazed and rosy with pink head. The smell is ripe berries with sweetess of malt and faint floral lightly tart aroma. The feel is incredible with so much juicy fruit tangy yet still retains sweetness to balance.

The flavor is like chewing pure ripe raspberries, this is one of the best raspberry berries because it is not overly tart and not too dessert-like either. The balance of fresh juicy raspberry with a great base beer is delicious and worth savoring. Overall I can't think of many fruit beers that compare with this beer and it is not easy to get in Pennsylvania thanks so much to Courtlyn for sharing this I recommend this to anyone who likes raspberry and is not opposed to fruit in beer.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

Cheers to Jw347 for this one!

Pours burgundy/purple with 2+ fingers of noisy pink head. Great lacing & fairly good head retention

s: Super raspberry nose, fades as this warms

T: Juicy & tart raspberries. plus a little puckery sourness up front. Tartness & dryness dominate along a sweet raspberry vinaigrette as this warms. Finishes with a nice puckery sweet/tart flourish

MF: Light & sparkling, plus some acidity & just a touch of stickyness

Drinks really well, I believe the acidity & tartness would preclude me from sessioning on this. Easily one of the best beers at 4.0% abv, below, above or whatever! Also, easily the best fruit beer I've ever drank!

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

Served in a Duvel tulip glass.

Picked this guy up randomly while shopping fer brews at the outset of the Man's Weekend. It pours a deep garnet/ruby/other miscellaneous red-colored gemstones topped by well over a finger of slightly pink-tinted light ecru foam. The nose is an explosion of sweetened raspberries, as though a bowl o' them berries had been sprinkled liberally with confectioner's sugar. Some blueberries may or not be in the bowl as well, and some cinnamon seems to have been added to the sweetening party, though in much less abundance. The taste follows pretty dern closely, but a nice tartness replaces the seemingly sugariness. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sticky, syrupy feel. Overall, a very nice bit o' fruity goodness, excessively drinkable and increasingly tart/complex (so to speak) as the tasting goes on.

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%

An impressive looking champagne magnum that is waxed on the top.

Appearance: Murky red colour, looks like puréed raspberries. Light fizzy head give a champagne crackle.

Smell: Big aroma of freshly macerated raspberries. Very sweet yet enough fruity tartness as well.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Bam! Raspberries! Every corner your taste buds turn more raspberries. The tartness is right in balance with the sweetness of the fruit. Fizzy crisp mouth feel, sweet on the palate with some graininess within. A very faint alcohol also leads down the beer trail.

Notes: A perfect tasting fruit beer, “real fruit”! This is my top pick for an early afternoon brunch tipple.

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my New Glarus flute. Poured a cherry red color with a thin pink head covering the top of the beer. The head faded away after a minute or so. I really liked the color though.

The aroma has a tart, slightly sour raspberry flavor to it. A little bit of cherry and other fruits come through a bit. Nice aroma, especially for a fruit beer.

The taste has a nice fresh raspberry flavor to it. A tartness really cuts through the sweet fresh fruit flavor. The sweet fruit and the tartness really balance each other nicely. Excellent flavor overall.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side and carbonation is high. pretty fitting mouthfeel for the style and beer. Drinkability is very good, it's definitely one of the best fruit beers there is. The balance between the fresh fruit and the tartness really make it very drinkable. Excellent beer overall.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a murky purple/maroon color with a bubbly head that dissipates rather quickly.

S: Tons of tart raspberry as expected. A little bit of vanilla as well. Extremely inviting aroma.

T: Even better than I was expecting/hoping. An an incredible sugary sweet raspberry flavor. The vanilla is there slightly, but the raspberry steals the show.

M/D: Not syrupy, light bodied and extremely easy drinking. Unsure if I have had a beer that is easier to drink. Easily my favorite fruit beer to date.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a dark reddish-purple color with 2 inches of off white head that has a red tint. Moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sour raspberries, cherries, dark fruits, and fruity malts.

t - Tastes of raspberry juice, and dark fruits. Some tartness to it, but not too much. Very enjoyable.

m - Light body and moderate carbonation. Very easy to drink.

d - I thought this was a great beer. The only fruit beer I like better is New Glarus' Belgian Red. Smells and tastes great; I feel like I could drink this all day. Looking forward to having this again.

4.57/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks to Jon for sharing this.

A: Pretty ruby hue. Mild lacing.

S: Wow! Fresh raspberries. There's not much else to report. Summertime. Picking them right off the bush. Incredible aroma.

T: This is a masterfully crafted raspberry beer. The aromas hit you as you get the glass close to your mouth, then it's raspberry pie in the form of a beer. It is, however, pretty sweet. As good as this is, and I wouldn't want it to change, I prefer sour fruit beers.

M: Smooth, crisp, fresh, light.

D: The sweetness is formidable. A couple of ounces is the perfect amount for me. If you haven't had this before, I recommend sharing the bottle with a few other folks.

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

25oz green bottle dipped in a color of wax that matches the fluid within...interesting.

Poured into a wine glass, it appears a somewhat hazy maroon, ruby, reddish-brown color with less than a finger of creamy slightly reddish stained head. Not much for retension outside the penline of white bubbles that has collected around the inside perimeter of the glass. Aroma of this beer is all raspberry sweetness with a faint touch of vinegar and some sourness in the backend. As it warms there is another layer of sweetness outside of the fruit, it is somewhat reminescent of caramel. Taste is about as close as one could ever imagine to drinking a modestly carbonated fresh raspberry juice. It is quite sweet upfront tasting obviously of raspberries and has a much more full mouthfeel than I have experienced with other fruit beers. The somewhat higher than expected carbonation really lets the flavors of the fruit come out in your mouth. The tartness of the raspberries is a bit exaggerated in the finish but it is to be expected considering the name of this beer...and it is quite enjoyable nontheless. There is a lingering sweetness left in the mouth tasting just like fresh raspberries.

Thanks to jojomdma for the trade at DLD for this one.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

750 ml bottle, poured into a fluted glass:

Pours hazed with beautiful hues of raspberry. It is capped off with a pink head that has pretty nice retention for the style. Spotted trailing lace sticks.

The smell is of fresh, tart raspberries.

The taste of fresh raspberries are not at all "artificial" and are sweet and tart. A firm malt backbone and a touch of noble hops let you know this is beer and not fruit malt beverage. It has a candy-like raspberry character. Sweet and tart balanced perfectly in the finish.

It is very smooth. I wouldn't mind a bit more effervescence (I think), but it is just fine the way it is.

An incredible "dessert" brew. This is one of the best, if not the best, fruit beer I've ever had. It is full of raspberry but has perfect balance. Very tasty and highly recommended!

3.98/5  rDev -8.3%

750 mL bottle poured into a goblet. Thanks to MarcatGSB for this bottle!

Appearance - Less bright than I expected. I expected it to look like Blushing Monk. This is much less bright of a red. Slightly pink head and great lacing.

Smell - Raspberries. Lots of raspberries. That's pretty much it. It isn't complex, but it's nice.

Taste - Raspberries. Lots of raspberries. Still not complex. Still just raspberries. Again, it isn't complex, but it's nice. Somewhat tart, but after a while the sweetness builds.

Mouthfeel - Fresh and light, but not as crisp as I'd like. Just a bit too sweet.

Overall - Good stuff. I just don't know how to rate it. I like it, but it isn't earth-shattering. It's raspberries.

4.52/5  rDev +4.1%

There's a precious, raspberry-red wax over the crown and down the neck of this beer, proper insurance of a finely crafted and properly presented product. How often do you see the like in a beer?
Snap! Fssh...and out wafts the incredible raspberry aroma! Let's get that in a glass and up to my lips, pronto!
Color pours out a devilishly dark, bloody red, with a head that starts fine, but swiftly dissipates. I search for associations with appearance and can only come up with candies, desserts, pies, liqueurs...all things sweet, delicious, and fruity!
Up in the nose, BAM! Raspberry Sorbet! Gorgeous! I used to work in an ice cream factory, and relished the time spent with fruit purees, before blending and freezing. This is exactly like that.
I don't even care if I never get to drink it, just to smell this all day long would be heaven!
A highly charged pounce upon the palate at first sip, a bracket of hops, a rush of carbonation.
So much lip-smacking going on throughout the drink...ooo,tart! oo, tart!, but still sweet and delicious.
Texture: phenomenal, body:full, finish: eternal!This beer has a flavor that never lags, or sags, or forgets it's business.
My only caveats are that the tart flavor can be too much at times, and though quite a delight, this is strictly a special occasion ale, best enjoyed after a perfect meal, among several friends, with plenty of time to loll back and marvel at the splendor!
Other than that, perfection!

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company