Raspberry Tart | New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
newglarusbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

Added by xlperro on 04-21-2002

Ratings: 3,805 |  Reviews: 939
3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into my Lindemans campaign type flute.

Pours only 1/2 fingers of a dulled down pink colored head. Not the best retention or lace. Color is a very unique. The color is basically that of a raspberry. Red mixed with a magenta pink.

Aroma: Big surprise here, but I get a fresh raspberry aroma. A nice fresh fruity taste, but that is all I am really getting here. I like it, but I can't say I am too impressed.

Taste: This beer seems to be pretty straight forward to me: Raspberries and tartness, just like the bottle suggests. This beer really makes the lips pucker. Really can't taste any type of alcohol here. It tastes a lot like a juice.

Mouthfeel: Very sweet and tarty. This is a nice puckering beer. Medium bodied, surprisingly filling. Has a good amount of carbonation. Ends with a clean raspberry flavored aftertaste.

Overall, I am very impressed with this beer. It is surprisingly a big beer with a lot of flavor for how low the abv is. 4%??? That is crazy. I really like it, but I wish the nose would have been a little more flavorful. This beer is definitely worth a try. I had a hard time finishing the last 6 ounces of my bottle.

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a strawberry red with plenty of visible carbonation and a pink-tinted white head. The smell is one of slight sourness accompanied by overpowering fresh raspberries. The taste is much the same with an added tartness that complements the fruity sweetness of the raspberries perfectly. The mouthfeel is one of a good dose of carbonation on a fairly light-bodied beer; not too different from champagne, but perhaps a bit less carbonation. Drinkability is about as high as can be--with 4.0% abv, I'd have no problem going all night with this one.

3.77/5  rDev -13.1%

THanks to leakyfaucet12 for the chance at this one.

Very light fizzy head disappears faster than I can say head, mostly clear raspberry reddish brownish burnt sienna color.

Nose explodes with raspberries, light sweet syrup, touch off light malts, a bit candy, fresh raspberry juice and tart raspberry wine like.

Taste starts fairly sweet and gets more and more sweet until just overwhelming. Plenty of raspberry puree, light raspberry candy, bit of a tingly flavor and feel with some acidity and lactic, bit syrupy and very sweet, a bit of tart fruit, rich. Finishes with some light musty tart and bit sticky syrupy raspberry and bright berry fruit light spicy feel. Very jammy and way too sweet. Very little tartness.

Mouth is fairly light, bit if spicy acidic feel, decent carb, and just slides around the mouth nicely.

Drink is very meh, sooo sweet, just too sweet and barely tart, bit of a sticky finish and a bit syrupy, some acidity, and jammy.

4.52/5  rDev +4.1%

A beautiful reddish body with a purpleish cast is capped by a short head of pink foam that quickly receeds to a thin collar and leaves little lacing about the glass. Fresh raspberries greet you in the nose and beckon you to take a sip! It's delicately effervescent carbonation tickles the tongue; and its medium body gives some girth to its sweet and tart flavors. The raspberry is quite authentic, and it's so juicy and puckeringly tart-sweet that you'd think you were drinking delicately carbonated raspberry juice! It finishes dry with a wash of acidity and some residual, lingering raspberry flavor. This is quite amazing, and it easily matches the intensity of some of the sweeter versions of raspberry lambic from Belgium. Brilliant!

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Acquired via from fogdog courtesy of the 2009 Secret Bunny BIF, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 750ml wax-sealed bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright pinkish purple color, with a thin pink head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is all raspberries as you would expect and is very strong.

T: The taste is very tart and sour up front with the strong raspberry flavor. There's a little bit of sweetness that creeps in along with faint touches of wheat and hops. The malt character is thin on-target for this type of beer. The after-taste is sour.

M: Very crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty especially if you're into the raspberry flavor, goes down easily, not too filling, very mild kick, although I'm not a big lambic fan, this beer is right up there with the better lambics, sours and wine-like beers that I've had.

4.65/5  rDev +7.1%

22oz bottle into a Duvel snifter. Thanks to HopDerek for the split on this one.

Pours a clear dark amber (almost bloody) with a finger of off-white hued pink head that retained very nicely into a smooth, creamy covering that left little speckles of lace on the glass. The aroma is deep with BIG raspberry sweetness that is then complimented very nicely by a subtle sourness.

The taste is a full frontal blast of sweet raspberry puree, that much like the aroma, is balanced very nicely by a biting tartness. To top it off, there's even a fairly dose of prickly hop presence in the finish that keeps you on your toes. Quite the unique taste and one that I enjoyed immensely! The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a prickly carbonation and mouth coating feel.

Wow, what an insanely good fruit beer! The sweet fruit tones are very in your face but are kept in line perfectly by its tart and hoppy character. This was my first beer from New Glarus but by God, it won't be my last. Fantastic!

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

4.23/5  rDev -2.5%

A bit of a gusher, poured from the bottle into a Tired Hands stem/wine glass, light brown color mixed with strawberry red, clear, and a large, foamy pink-white head; decent retention, soapy lacing, bubbles came back to life after a gentle swirling. Nose is bittersweet, bready caramel infused with fresh raspberries. Taste is similar, tart raspberries up front (oh, I get it now!), good balance of sweetness. Not straight up juice like a Lindemanns Framboise; there's a good bready malt base in there to remind you this is a beer, a touch of bubblegum, and a leafy finish. Chewy mouthfeel, medium body, medium to low carbonation, with a few little bubbly streams visible rising from the bottom. A very enjoyable beer overall.

3.25/5  rDev -25.1%

4.47/5  rDev +3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my New Glarus flute. Poured a cherry red color with a thin pink head covering the top of the beer. The head faded away after a minute or so. I really liked the color though.

The aroma has a tart, slightly sour raspberry flavor to it. A little bit of cherry and other fruits come through a bit. Nice aroma, especially for a fruit beer.

The taste has a nice fresh raspberry flavor to it. A tartness really cuts through the sweet fresh fruit flavor. The sweet fruit and the tartness really balance each other nicely. Excellent flavor overall.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side and carbonation is high. pretty fitting mouthfeel for the style and beer. Drinkability is very good, it's definitely one of the best fruit beers there is. The balance between the fresh fruit and the tartness really make it very drinkable. Excellent beer overall.

4.57/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance: Pours a murky, pinkish-brown body with a pink-hued, bubbly head.

Smell: Rich, fresh raspberry fruit aroma with a touch of tartness. Maybe a lil' bit of heaven added, too.

Taste: It's delish! Raspberry compote with just the perfect balance of pleasing sweetness and tartness. Small tinge of bitter and oak character serve as a reminder that you're not simply feasting on fresh juice. Finishes with a long, lingering fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Unrivaled drinkability. I can say, quite categorically, that New Glarus Raspberry Tart is a phenomenal, incredibly delicious beer. It's a damn shame all fruit beers can't be this good.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

Cheers to Jw347 for this one!

Pours burgundy/purple with 2+ fingers of noisy pink head. Great lacing & fairly good head retention

s: Super raspberry nose, fades as this warms

T: Juicy & tart raspberries. plus a little puckery sourness up front. Tartness & dryness dominate along a sweet raspberry vinaigrette as this warms. Finishes with a nice puckery sweet/tart flourish

MF: Light & sparkling, plus some acidity & just a touch of stickyness

Drinks really well, I believe the acidity & tartness would preclude me from sessioning on this. Easily one of the best beers at 4.0% abv, below, above or whatever! Also, easily the best fruit beer I've ever drank!

4.87/5  rDev +12.2%

Lucent magenta with brilliant raspberry red highlights when backlit. The rosy pink head is more dense than expected and looks for all the world like a piece of shortcake saturated with berry juice. I doubt that much lace with be forthcoming, but that doesn't bother me in the least. This is a great looking fruit beer.

I have to hand it to the good folks at New Glarus. With Wisconsin Belgian Red and now Raspberry Tart, they've created the two finest fruit beer noses in all the world. I don't know how long it took to come up with the final recipe, but they've achieved raspberry beer perfection with regards to the aroma. It's both sweet and tart with nothing on display except the essence of the berries themselves. Wow! seems inadequate.

Raspberry Tart is as amazing as I thought it would be once I tasted Belgian Red. Check that, actually it's better. As in... better than I thought it would be and better than Belgian Red. It's probably too close to call, they're both the finest examples of their style in existence, but I can't imagine a better, more dizzyingly delicious concoction than that which sits before me at this moment. The fact that I like raspberries more than cherries is probably a factor.

As in the nose, there's very little present other than the berries themselves. What puts this beer into orbit is the complex combination of sweet and tart. I'm not enough of a zymurgist to know what aging in oak vats contributes or why the Hallertau hops need to be a year old. My guess is that at least the first of those is absolutely critical to the tangy fermented flavor that gives Razz Tart its soul and elevates it above mere fruit juice.

Even though I'm not big on pairing beer with sweets, I can't imagine a better accompaniment to a gooey fudge brownie or a dish of vanilla bean ice cream. I don't believe that it's at all unwarranted to call this the best fruit beer in the world. The sweetness limits drinkability somewhat, although if I use the question 'would I have another?' as my sole criterion, a bump in score would be a no-brainer.

My first thought was that the mouthfeel wasn't quite as thick and as syrupy as my memory of Belgian Red. Now, I'm not so sure. As the beer sits, it comes together beautifully and is now the very definition of heavily silky. This beer is a mouth party of the highest order! Since I have no idea how it could be improved... another perfect.

I don't know what else to say. I've used just about every adjective for 'great' that I can think of and I still feel that my ramblings have been inadequate to describe the... uh... greatness of Raspberry Tart. I hope this beer keeps as well as I think it does because I'll be clearing out Madison the next time I make the trip. Simply stunning.

4.52/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a murky purple/maroon color with a bubbly head that dissipates rather quickly.

S: Tons of tart raspberry as expected. A little bit of vanilla as well. Extremely inviting aroma.

T: Even better than I was expecting/hoping. An an incredible sugary sweet raspberry flavor. The vanilla is there slightly, but the raspberry steals the show.

M/D: Not syrupy, light bodied and extremely easy drinking. Unsure if I have had a beer that is easier to drink. Easily my favorite fruit beer to date.

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company