Raspberry Tart | New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
newglarusbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Treat yourself to a rare delight. The voluminous raspberry bouquet will greet you long before your lips touch your glass. Serve this Wisconsin framboise very cold in a champagne flute. Then hold your glass to a light and enjoy the jewel-like sparkle of a very special ale.
Oregon proudly shares their harvest of mouth watering berries, which we ferment spontaneously in large oak vats. Then we employ Wisconsin farmed wheat and year old Hallertau hops to round out this extravaganza of flavor.

Added by xlperro on 04-21-2002

Ratings: 3,829 |  Reviews: 941
4.57/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance: Pours a murky, pinkish-brown body with a pink-hued, bubbly head.

Smell: Rich, fresh raspberry fruit aroma with a touch of tartness. Maybe a lil' bit of heaven added, too.

Taste: It's delish! Raspberry compote with just the perfect balance of pleasing sweetness and tartness. Small tinge of bitter and oak character serve as a reminder that you're not simply feasting on fresh juice. Finishes with a long, lingering fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: Unrivaled drinkability. I can say, quite categorically, that New Glarus Raspberry Tart is a phenomenal, incredibly delicious beer. It's a damn shame all fruit beers can't be this good.

4.52/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a murky purple/maroon color with a bubbly head that dissipates rather quickly.

S: Tons of tart raspberry as expected. A little bit of vanilla as well. Extremely inviting aroma.

T: Even better than I was expecting/hoping. An an incredible sugary sweet raspberry flavor. The vanilla is there slightly, but the raspberry steals the show.

M/D: Not syrupy, light bodied and extremely easy drinking. Unsure if I have had a beer that is easier to drink. Easily my favorite fruit beer to date.

4.87/5  rDev +12.2%

Lucent magenta with brilliant raspberry red highlights when backlit. The rosy pink head is more dense than expected and looks for all the world like a piece of shortcake saturated with berry juice. I doubt that much lace with be forthcoming, but that doesn't bother me in the least. This is a great looking fruit beer.

I have to hand it to the good folks at New Glarus. With Wisconsin Belgian Red and now Raspberry Tart, they've created the two finest fruit beer noses in all the world. I don't know how long it took to come up with the final recipe, but they've achieved raspberry beer perfection with regards to the aroma. It's both sweet and tart with nothing on display except the essence of the berries themselves. Wow! seems inadequate.

Raspberry Tart is as amazing as I thought it would be once I tasted Belgian Red. Check that, actually it's better. As in... better than I thought it would be and better than Belgian Red. It's probably too close to call, they're both the finest examples of their style in existence, but I can't imagine a better, more dizzyingly delicious concoction than that which sits before me at this moment. The fact that I like raspberries more than cherries is probably a factor.

As in the nose, there's very little present other than the berries themselves. What puts this beer into orbit is the complex combination of sweet and tart. I'm not enough of a zymurgist to know what aging in oak vats contributes or why the Hallertau hops need to be a year old. My guess is that at least the first of those is absolutely critical to the tangy fermented flavor that gives Razz Tart its soul and elevates it above mere fruit juice.

Even though I'm not big on pairing beer with sweets, I can't imagine a better accompaniment to a gooey fudge brownie or a dish of vanilla bean ice cream. I don't believe that it's at all unwarranted to call this the best fruit beer in the world. The sweetness limits drinkability somewhat, although if I use the question 'would I have another?' as my sole criterion, a bump in score would be a no-brainer.

My first thought was that the mouthfeel wasn't quite as thick and as syrupy as my memory of Belgian Red. Now, I'm not so sure. As the beer sits, it comes together beautifully and is now the very definition of heavily silky. This beer is a mouth party of the highest order! Since I have no idea how it could be improved... another perfect.

I don't know what else to say. I've used just about every adjective for 'great' that I can think of and I still feel that my ramblings have been inadequate to describe the... uh... greatness of Raspberry Tart. I hope this beer keeps as well as I think it does because I'll be clearing out Madison the next time I make the trip. Simply stunning.

4.59/5  rDev +5.8%

An impressive looking champagne magnum that is waxed on the top.

Appearance: Murky red colour, looks like puréed raspberries. Light fizzy head give a champagne crackle.

Smell: Big aroma of freshly macerated raspberries. Very sweet yet enough fruity tartness as well.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Bam! Raspberries! Every corner your taste buds turn more raspberries. The tartness is right in balance with the sweetness of the fruit. Fizzy crisp mouth feel, sweet on the palate with some graininess within. A very faint alcohol also leads down the beer trail.

Notes: A perfect tasting fruit beer, “real fruit”! This is my top pick for an early afternoon brunch tipple.

4.97/5  rDev +14.5%

Now lets talk a little bit about this one for a minute. I have been wanting to try this forever, and I just recently received not one, but two bottles of this brew. I really did not know what to expect going into it, but have heard it is simply outstanding. So needless to say the red wax coated 750 beckoned me from the start and I popped one open last night. Poured a very nice raspberry colored red with a small pink colored head and very nice carbonation visible throughout the session. The smell was rich with raspberry essence. Extremely strong so that nothing else could possibly come through. Now the flavor was to die for. I have never been the biggest fan of fruit beers in general, but this has just come to a whole new level. So sweet yet tart and sour at the same time, the flavor was so strong, yet not overpowering and not too sweet as to make you sick, it was in a word, perfect. It had the most perfect taste for this style I could have ever imagined. A great light body and great carbonation made it feel like water and there was just no hint of any kind of alcohol in this. This was by far one of the best brews I have ever had. I was raving mad about this all night long and easily killed the bottle myself. I just did not think anything could taste this good, this was fantastic. I would love to get my hands on as much as I could, I have to give it up here. This is one of the best drinks I have ever had, hands down, just wonderful. I would have to recommend this to everyone, go and get some!

4.76/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I appreciated gottajiboo2 for sharing this with me and HombreWing this was a special treat.

I enjoyed this from the bottle in a glass.

The color is like nectar hazed and rosy with pink head. The smell is ripe berries with sweetess of malt and faint floral lightly tart aroma. The feel is incredible with so much juicy fruit tangy yet still retains sweetness to balance.

The flavor is like chewing pure ripe raspberries, this is one of the best raspberry berries because it is not overly tart and not too dessert-like either. The balance of fresh juicy raspberry with a great base beer is delicious and worth savoring. Overall I can't think of many fruit beers that compare with this beer and it is not easy to get in Pennsylvania thanks so much to Courtlyn for sharing this I recommend this to anyone who likes raspberry and is not opposed to fruit in beer.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a dark reddish-purple color with 2 inches of off white head that has a red tint. Moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sour raspberries, cherries, dark fruits, and fruity malts.

t - Tastes of raspberry juice, and dark fruits. Some tartness to it, but not too much. Very enjoyable.

m - Light body and moderate carbonation. Very easy to drink.

d - I thought this was a great beer. The only fruit beer I like better is New Glarus' Belgian Red. Smells and tastes great; I feel like I could drink this all day. Looking forward to having this again.

4.32/5  rDev -0.5%

A big thanks to cvaypai for this bottle. Craig keeps on hooking it up with the Wisconsin goods.

A: The pour is a clear, dark, ruby/garnet color with little to no head.

S: Great raspberry aroma. There's a wonderful mix of tartness and sweetness. Maybe a bit of cranberry as well.

T: Like the nose, there is a great balance of tart and sweet raspberry. The flavor is not candy-like such as other fruit beers.

M: The body is medium and the level of carbonation is fairly low. Somehow, it works though.

T: Much, much more drinkable than the Wisconsin Belgian Red. The lack of cloying sweetness is quite a nice surprise and makes this beer very enjoyable.

3.98/5  rDev -8.3%

750 mL bottle poured into a goblet. Thanks to MarcatGSB for this bottle!

Appearance - Less bright than I expected. I expected it to look like Blushing Monk. This is much less bright of a red. Slightly pink head and great lacing.

Smell - Raspberries. Lots of raspberries. That's pretty much it. It isn't complex, but it's nice.

Taste - Raspberries. Lots of raspberries. Still not complex. Still just raspberries. Again, it isn't complex, but it's nice. Somewhat tart, but after a while the sweetness builds.

Mouthfeel - Fresh and light, but not as crisp as I'd like. Just a bit too sweet.

Overall - Good stuff. I just don't know how to rate it. I like it, but it isn't earth-shattering. It's raspberries.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

Served in a Duvel tulip glass.

Picked this guy up randomly while shopping fer brews at the outset of the Man's Weekend. It pours a deep garnet/ruby/other miscellaneous red-colored gemstones topped by well over a finger of slightly pink-tinted light ecru foam. The nose is an explosion of sweetened raspberries, as though a bowl o' them berries had been sprinkled liberally with confectioner's sugar. Some blueberries may or not be in the bowl as well, and some cinnamon seems to have been added to the sweetening party, though in much less abundance. The taste follows pretty dern closely, but a nice tartness replaces the seemingly sugariness. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sticky, syrupy feel. Overall, a very nice bit o' fruity goodness, excessively drinkable and increasingly tart/complex (so to speak) as the tasting goes on.

4.57/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks to Jon for sharing this.

A: Pretty ruby hue. Mild lacing.

S: Wow! Fresh raspberries. There's not much else to report. Summertime. Picking them right off the bush. Incredible aroma.

T: This is a masterfully crafted raspberry beer. The aromas hit you as you get the glass close to your mouth, then it's raspberry pie in the form of a beer. It is, however, pretty sweet. As good as this is, and I wouldn't want it to change, I prefer sour fruit beers.

M: Smooth, crisp, fresh, light.

D: The sweetness is formidable. A couple of ounces is the perfect amount for me. If you haven't had this before, I recommend sharing the bottle with a few other folks.

3.95/5  rDev -9%

Got this in a trade with dirtylou, thanks for the opportunity.

Pours a cloudy reddish purple with a pinkish white head that disappears quickly. Smell and taste is raspberries, raspberries, raspberries. Mouth feel is a little sticky, syrupy with moderate carbonation. Has a tart bite to the aftertaste. Descent brew, kind of a mix between a beer and a wine cooler.

4.6/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Raspberry Tart from New Glarus Brewing Company