Spotted Cow | New Glarus Brewing Company

Style: Cream Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2002

Ratings: 3,582 |  Reviews: 818
3.75/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

You ever butter a piece of bread, then roll your sweet corn in it to butter the sweet corn, and then eat the buttery, sweet corn slathered bread? That's what I get when I drink Spotted Cow, which according to New Glarus is a Wisconsin Farmhouse Ale.

3.59/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had at a Milwaukee Brewers game last Friday when I was in town. $6.25 for a 12oz bottle. My first from New Glarus. This wouldn't have been my first choice, but it was all they had from them.

This is a Cream Ale? I don't know what style I would have guessed this to be, but it doesn't taste like any Cream Ales I've had... then again, I haven't had a craft Cream Ale, I don't think. Uh. That probably makes a difference. This has that "beer" color -- sunset orange. There's about two or three fingers worth of a creamy looking head. Lacing is above average. Nice start... gotta love a good looking beer. The smell is initially what made me wonder what the damn style was. Mild grassy/earthy hops and Play-Doh/dough just about hit the aroma on the head for me, although seeing others mention banana and clove isn't a surprise... I can see that. Taking a sip, I get the same thing. How does a beer that has a pretty big "dough" profile taste good? Leave it to New Glarus. While I'm not a huge fan of this, it's memorable. I'm pretty confident that I won't taste another beer quite like this. A respectable beer.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

7/1/16