Spotted Cow | New Glarus Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2002

Ratings: 3,517 |  Reviews: 810

2.04/5  rDev -44.1%

2.1/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Very light, minimal taste, good carbonation

2.17/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I have been drinking spotted cow on and off for about 15 years and every time I have tried it I scratch my head. I just don't get why this beer is so popular... I find it overly sour and astringent. Sadly, it reminds me of beers gone bad. New glarus, has some amazing beers, and IMO ALL of them are better than Spotted Cow.

2.18/5  rDev -40.3%

spotted cow

a 3-3.5 clear golden with a slight amber cast, ginger ale like. the bubbles are fairly coarse, the short head drops quickly leaving only a quarter-sized island of a cap.

s 2.5-3 mostly lager-like aroma with a vague fruitiness that I also find in lagers. kind of malt liquorish.

t 2 yikes. if someone said this was a watered down ml bull, i'd have believed it. on tap i enjoyed this beer much more (but then 8 years ago i also recall enjoying it in the bottles). some corn syrup sweetness in an expanse of water with a touch of baking soda. dash of drying hops fails to clean it up. a little chalkiness (from yeast?) lingers with the corn syrup in the finish.

m 2 watery but for the diluted corn syrup, coarsley bubbled and chalky.

d not nearly as good as i remembered it. the pizza atmosphere helped when on tap, but clearly this bottled specimen is inferior. in a head to head with schlitz gusto, spotted cow got badly milked.

2.2/5  rDev -39.7%

On tap at Diamond Dave's. Smelled like a lager actually, very faint aroma anyway. Hazy green-yellow color. Actually tasted like a lager also. I could not detect fruit-y-ness, vanilla, or 'fun'. There was some corn hints. It is a beer with a full character, not a character I care for, but it had a full character for what it was. no lacing.

2.2/5  rDev -39.7%

2.23/5  rDev -38.9%

Pours a slightly hazy light golden color. Looks like a standard American lager in color but a bit more cloudy. Produced very little head that disappeared immediately. Sides of the shaker pint were coated with a medium to small carbonation bead.

Smell "dusty" like hay or new mowed grass/wheat. No hint of hops at all. Also can smell the corn addition.

Tastes a bit dusty like the smell (I wish I had a better adjective for this sensation). Certainly can taste the corn. Has a wheat with a bit of a sour flavor in there that takes it away from a wheat beer flavor.

Fully carbonated. I felt a gassy feeling only half way through the beer.

I know that a lot of folks from the midwest like this beer and swear by New Glarus as a brewery. Having said that, this just doesn't do it for me.

2.3/5  rDev -37%

2.35/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Would I buy it again? No. Lacks flavor. Not very lively on the tongue. Smells kind of musty.
An average beer at best.
Head: thick. Short lived. Some lace. White.
Taste: bland
Smell: musty smell
Not my favorite so I don't want to pe on with negatives.

2.38/5  rDev -34.8%

A: gold with white head like a macro lager.

S: grassy not getting much else. Maybe a little grainy.

T: very average in the taste. A little bit of of sweetness up front. Otherwise grassy and watery taste. IMO pretty bland.

M: well carbonated but again watery

O: very average beer nothing too exciting here. If you like the macro stuff there isn't much deviation in this beer from those.

2.43/5  rDev -33.4%

I haven't had one of these in awhile, as my memory of these wasn't pleasant. Tried again the other evening.

A, M=looked and felt like a decent beer.

T=Not pleasant. Skunky, and not nearly as good as other cream ales I've tried.

I, for the life of me, do not understand why this beer is as popular as it is. Other than the Snowshoe, New Glarus beers just do not stack up to others that are available around here.

2.43/5  rDev -33.4%

A - Pale yellow with adequate foamy head.

S- Not much...

T- I literally picked up the bottle and looked to make sure this was beer. This is an incredibly bland ale. Almost devoid of flavor with a dry finish. Very subtle malts.

M- Light with low carbonation, just slightly thicker than a lager.

O- This beer is like a cow among the herd. One of many, nothing makes this better or standout from any of the other cows. Surprised to see the high ratings, maybe more representative of the rest of the brewery's line? Really falls short in terms of taste and substance for me.

2.48/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.49/5  rDev -31.8%

Graciously brought from Wisconsin by a non-BA friend.

12 oz. bottle.

This beer pours out a frightengly canary-neon yellow, with a tiny bit of yeast haze. The head is quite creamy, but only leaves a light notch of lacing. My friend took a whiff and proclaimed it smelled like "Grandma's bedsheets", then noted that if presented to him without identification, he wouldn't know if it was piss or pop. Hmm.

The only discernable odor on the nose is corn. I choose to use odor because if I wasn't rating every beer I got my hands on, I wouldn't have even tried it. I can't get over how bad this smells; I look for some malts, some sweetness, even a touch of hops - to no avail.

Actually, this one doesn't taste too bad at all. It sort of seems like a strange love-child between macro-swill and Guinness. It is quite nice on the mouthfeel, almost enough to disguise the heavy-handed corn influence. If you put this on Nitro, Macro lovers could do some serious damage. Still, just not enough going on here to interest me in another.

I've had worse. Maybe this beer is just an attempt at ramping-up swill drinkers. I'll try others by the brewery. I could also understand having a place in your heart for this - if I grew up on it, it might be a good fall back.

Spotted Cow from New Glarus Brewing Company