Thumbprint Apple Ale | New Glarus Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Skidz on 09-25-2004

Ratings: 1,646 |  Reviews: 462

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

12 ounce bottle received in a trade with mikesgroove, think a four pack of these run about ten dollars, poured into my Duvel tulip glass on Tuesday, reviewed from notes, color is a light golden yellow, actually a bit cloudy, 3/4 inch bubbly head that did not last long, small amount of lacing and retention, green apples but not quite granny smith because they did not smell too sour, mild citrus, sugar, and white wine, starts off with a variety of apples, flavors from both red and green ones come through, sweet with sugared candy in the middle, finishes with more apples, not much else going on flavor wise, would have been even better is some tartiness showed up, still not a bad fruit beer, sweet, sugary, and light mouthfeel, thin to medium bodied, high level of carbonation, taste did not last long and what did was a little sweetness, more along the lines of Lindemands in this case, could have drank a whole lot of this stuff, alcohol is not even there and supposedly this stuff is below four percent, went down very easy, quite sweet without overdoing it, inviting and light, not the best of the Unplugged series but still a good beer overall, would drink again, worth trying

3.5/5  rDev -15%

3.75/5  rDev -9%

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

Special thanks to BeerFMAndy for sending this long time want of mine.

Served in a tulip.

A: Poured out a glistening, apple cider color, that had a head, then it didn't, then it grew on back again, then it vanished into the night again. Overall, the headage was minimal at best.

S: If you're expecting apple cider, this is not your gal. I got sort of a cherry jubilee-apple combo here that was quite divine. This wasn't "artificially flavored" apple. This was the real deal.

T: The taste was a bit more "cidery" and with a pronounced "Pixie Stick" dust quality. I would say Braeburn apples on this, but I'm probably wrong. The tartness was placed just right!

M: The prickly carbonation is the tip-off that this is in fact a beer, rather just a mere cider-like gimmick. The sour apple almost cause jaw-lock in the same way that the most delectable of Russian River or Cantillon sours do.

O: Sooo fresh and inviting. I could drink this stuff all day!

3.75/5  rDev -9%

3.25/5  rDev -21.1%

Another New Glarus fruit beer I had to stock up on for my wife; unfortunately, this one did not begin to approach the complexity or quality of either Wisconsin Belgian Red or Raspberry Tart.

Poureed a clear golden color with aromas of light malt, crisp apples and apple juice. Light bodied and crisp, light malt and apple juice.

4.27/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a clear amber-gold with a slight white head that fades to a thin ring and a small island of haze. Absolutely lovely apple aromas emanate from the glass, not quite real, but not quite fake. Reminds me a bit of an apple schnapps by Dad drinks. Taste is obviously apple-forward, but a much more identifiable "Red Apple" flavor as opposed to the generic "Apple" aromas. There's a touch of light grain, some honey, and an almost cinnamon-like quality in here too. Mouthfeel is light and spritzy, with a fairly thin body and good, carbonation. Overall an entirely enjoyable brew that 100% lives up to my expectation. I feel that a six-pack of this would disappear quite fast. Cheers to The CPJ for sending it my way!

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

Picked this beer up near my inlaws over turkey day. We're having it along with some apple pie just to accentuate it. The beer pours an amber color with hints of golden in there. The nose is full on apples. Not a lot of the tart apple, but I think I like it. DAMN. What a nice flavor. I wish my apple homebrew was liket this. The apple is up front and in my faaaace (for you Chris). The finish is caramel sweetness from the malts. No detectable hop really. Feel is moderate, but what I expect on this beer. Drinkability is huge. I want to drink more and more and more. What a great beer. I really like it and will buy more of it if I find it when home.

4.21/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

the beer poors honey gold with a wispy white head. the nose is diacetyl buttery apple pie candy. same killer fresh baked apple pie taste with a tart dry finish. light bodied drinkable, tons of fresh apple, tart apple finish. damn, this is a very tasty beer that is exactly as described/expected.

4.54/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

4-pack of this received from BeerFMAndy awhile ago! Thanks, dude! Reviewed from notes.

The pour yields a dark copper color that resembles fresh cider. Who'd have thought? Small head; light lace. The nose is rich with fresh-crushed apples, honeysuckle, damp wood, and faint earthy tones.

Good crisp body that is sharp and clean. Fresh apples all over the flavor. Mild sour notes, but this is much sweeter than expected. Honey-kissed bread noted as well. Slight dry note on the finish, but it is fleeting. This may very well be the most drinkable fruit beer I have ever had. I think I like this better than their RT or BR. I loved this. Thanks again, Andy.

A: medium amber with slight haze; 2-3 fingers of ivory foam

S: apple and spice - lots of apple juice and apple pie aromas

T: fruity and sweet - honestly tasted like organic apple juice - hints of spice you'd probably associate with an apple-based dishes during the fall and winter, like clove or nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice...

M: light, fresh, and brisk; clean-finishing, modest carbonation, touch of tartness

O: I'm not sure what to make of a beer that tastes this much like apple juice - if that's what you're looking for, you might want to go as high as a 4.5, but for me, as a stand-alone product, for which I had no expectations, it was a good-tasting, easy-drinking ale that went real easy on the abv, but not necessarily what I'm inclined toward in an ale.

4.16/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

Thanks go out to Masterski for this beer.

A light golden, very translucent body that has a good amount of carbonation bubbles moving around in there. About a finger of bone-white head that doesn't last very long, but does leave a thin head on top of my beer.

As soon as I take one sniff of this beer I realize it is not exactly what I expected. Instead of all apple, I smell apple pie. Apple, some slight tartness, cinnamon and a big dose of sugar. A little different, but it smells very good.

The first flavor that comes to me is green apple. I say green apple, because along with the apple flavor comes a good bit of tartness, which is both tasty and refreshing. After that comes a sugary sweetness that is paired with cinnamon to create a cinnamon sugar, pie-filling type of flavor. I swear I can even taste pie crust in there when a slight maltiness comes through in the finish.

The mouthfeel is moderate for both carbonation and body. Perhaps just a bit puckering also.

This beer is something a good bit different than what I've had before. It strikes me as a mix between a fruit beer and a spiced beer. Although I typically don't like either of those styles, here the mix certainly works.

Thumbprint Apple Ale from New Glarus Brewing Company