Thumbprint Apple Ale | New Glarus Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Skidz on 09-25-2004

Ratings: 1,650 |  Reviews: 464

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance: Slight chill haze on a burnt gold/orange. Head is white and creamy, but quickly dissipates to no cap with a small bubbly collar. No lacing to speak of.

Smell: Apples in all forms. Juice, skin, and flesh. Loaded with sugary apple sweetness. A touch of something more tart, but it's closer to a granny smith than it is to cranberry or tart cherry. A tiny hint of tannins. Straight up apple with a tiny malt backbone that can't really distinguish itself. Boil it down and make a pie!

Taste: More of the same. Apple pie filling without all the spices. Cider, fresh pressed juice. Apple skin and flesh. Juicy, seriously juicy. A touch of something akin to cinnamon, but it's minor. Vague backing sweet maltiness. Very light and easy. Sweet sweet apple juice.

Mouthfeel: Almost feels syrupy, but ends up with a medium body and crazy levels of smooth. Minimal carbonation.Wet and clean.

Overall: New Glarus makes fruit beer like your grandma makes cookies.

It's apples in a bottle with booze. A bit too sweet overall and lacking that tart edge I like with other New Glarus fruit offerings. Solid nonetheless.

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Docrock!

12 fl oz brown glass bottle served in a tulip, reviewed live:

A - Pours a cloudy and murky apricot shaded orange color with about a half finger of thin white head that disappears so fast, you'd never no it was there. Appears undercarbonated.

S - Freshly sliced apples. Incredibly cidery. In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd call it one based on the aroma. Hints of alcohol. Clove and cinnamon. Hints of pale malts when i look for them. Interesting and pungent. I could smell it when I poured.

T - Follow the nose closely, though I found the malt I was looking for to differentiate it from a cider. Delicious, juicy, and sweet apples. The freshness of the fruit is outstanding. Allspice and cinnamon throughout. I'm enjoying it. Likie apple pie in a glass.

M - Medium bodied and crisp. Nearly perfect.

D - It's akin to Braggot substituting cider for mead, and I'm not sure if there's a name for this style. The freshness of the fruit and perfect balance are outstanding. I do wish there was more malt character.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

4.5/5  rDev +9%

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. Bottle split with my special lady friend, made possible by my good friend durb777, thanks Nick!

A: The beer honestly looks to me like an IPA/DIPA. Pours a hazy orange IPA looking color, a white head forms but dissipates pretty quickly. Lots of carbonation coming up from the bottom of the glass, decent lacing.

S: Wow! Smells fresh apple cider up front. After the initial apple cider smell I start getting lots of caramel and honey notes. Wow, looks exactly like beer, but smells just like cider.

T: Tastes pretty similar to the nose, but not so much of the apple cider up front. Lots of caramel and honey going on, maybe a slight sourness in the finish. I even get a little bit of a tart cherry note in there.

M: Creamy, smooth, light, and bubbly.

O: Overall I'm pretty surprised by this beer. I wasn't really sure what to expect, but New Glarus definitely delivered again! I don't think I could drink more than 12 ounces of this beer, for being only 4% I'm finding it pretty sweet and rich. The way this beer blurs the lines between an ale and cider is pretty unreal. Keep doing what you do New Glarus!

Thumbprint Apple Ale from New Glarus Brewing Company