Thumbprint Apple Ale | New Glarus Brewing Company

Added by Skidz on 09-25-2004

Ratings: 1,645 |  Reviews: 462

3.75/5  rDev -9%

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%

This is really fantastic. Imagine this, your wife and kids are making Christmas cookies and drinking hot apple cider. You're looking to join in, but instead want something with a little kick instead. And you wonder to yourself, "What should I go buy?" BAM! New Glarus Apple Ale, that's what. This is a great fall/winter seasonal. Pours like pressed apple cider with a beautiful sour smell. I mentioned to a good friend that this makes me feel like a cross between Father Christmas and a Founding Father, as I imagine this style was big in the mid 1700s. Sour apple taste, that's it man, apple, no malt, no hops, just apples. A little tingly on the tongue, but nothing special in the mouth. High drinkability due to low ABV and a great taste. I should save a couple of these for Christmas Eve, but they won't last that long.

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

I've tried most of New Glarus's beers, but this is one I've not had the chance to pick up yet. So here we go. Tasted 2 December 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours a lightly hazy orange color. Almost see-through, but not quite. Certainly reminds me of apple juice. Half-finger of whitish head, relaxes to a ring around the surface. Okay lacing.

Smells like apple juice with a soft alcoholic push. Smells a lot like a sweet cider - over-ripe, mildly fermented apples.

Hoo boy, this tastes like apples. 75% apple juice is what I get. Make that 85%. There's actually not much beer to it, which is my main complaint. Sweet, pulpy, juicy apples. Yum.

Tickly carbonation, little needles jabbing out from the foam. Medium-light body. Forms a slick over the inside of my mouth, keeping those apple flavors hanging on.

Like most New Glarus fruit beers, this isn't really what I was expecting, but it's a welcome and delicious surprise. My biggest problem with it is that it's like drinking apple juice, with a small chaser of beer. I wish there were more beer in it. I'm conflicted - as a fruit drink, it's freaking delicious. As a beer, well, it doesn't really strike me as a beer.

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours like a beer but it tastes like a cider oh my god what is the world coming to?!?!?!

Smells of apples. Like apple juice. More like sparkling cider than like hard cider, which considering the MO of New Glarus' fruit beers actually makes a lot of sense.

Tastes very much like it smells only just a little bit gleefully alcoholic. It tastes like fizzy apple cider with just a tiny bit of booze burn near the back, and then the aftertaste is a chewy yeast that's similar to the one they use in their fruit beers. I pick up no nodes of brown ale but I absolutely don't need to because this gets the job done just fine.

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tall New Glarus Signature Pilsner Glass.

Appearance: Pours copper golden orange with a lot of rising bubbles. About two fingers of off white head that fade into a thin patchy layer. Leaves a good amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell: A very fruity aroma dominated by apples. Apple juices with some light spices including cinnamon, nutmeg, and even a touch of clove. Sweet malts with some hints of caramel and biscuit. Also a light hint of honey. Literally smells like apple cider with real apples. Interesting and good.

Taste: A sweet and fairly tart juicy taste of apples. Big apple presence that tastes like fresh squeezed apple juice. Some spicing blends in with notes of cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg. Soft bready malts with some caramel, toffee, and biscuit. Towards the finish there is a slight tart cherry like taste. Sweetness is balanced. A pretty good taste.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with a medium to high level of carbonation. Crisp, juicy, and very smooth.

Overall: An interesting and pretty tasty take on a fruit beer. Its like fresh apple juice but has just enough malt presence to make it a beer.

4.76/5  rDev +15.5%

This is my first New Glarus experience. Special thanks to my friend in Madison for picking me up a four-pack of this.

Poured 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

A. Poured a nice apple cider color with a small head that disappeared quickly after it was completely poured. Also has a decent fizziness to it.

S. Wow fresh apple smell up front with a hint of cinnamon.

T. A strong fizzy apple cidery taste up front with some cinnamon and other spices on the back end.

M. Light with a decent amount of carbonation.

O. This was a great representation of an apple cider beer. I love that it had a lot of carbonation and was full of fresh apple flavor. It is sweet but not overbearing. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is on the fence about fruit beer.

3.75/5  rDev -9%

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

Special thanks to BeerFMAndy for sending this long time want of mine.

Served in a tulip.

A: Poured out a glistening, apple cider color, that had a head, then it didn't, then it grew on back again, then it vanished into the night again. Overall, the headage was minimal at best.

S: If you're expecting apple cider, this is not your gal. I got sort of a cherry jubilee-apple combo here that was quite divine. This wasn't "artificially flavored" apple. This was the real deal.

T: The taste was a bit more "cidery" and with a pronounced "Pixie Stick" dust quality. I would say Braeburn apples on this, but I'm probably wrong. The tartness was placed just right!

M: The prickly carbonation is the tip-off that this is in fact a beer, rather just a mere cider-like gimmick. The sour apple almost cause jaw-lock in the same way that the most delectable of Russian River or Cantillon sours do.

O: Sooo fresh and inviting. I could drink this stuff all day!

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

3.91/5  rDev -5.1%

A: The beer pours out of the bottle clear yellow and very bubbly. Despite, or perhaps because of, the bubbles, the head really is nothing but fiz. After a few minutes, there is no activity in the beer.

S: You don't really have to be close to the beer to realize it smells exactly like green apple Jolly Ranchers...which luckily I love. It smells like apple juice, or apple soda if such a thing exists. Extremely sweet, hard to tell this is beer. Weirdly, I like it.

T: The taste continues the Jolly Rancher theme, but is MUCH more smooth and less soda-like. Realistically the only thing I can taste is apples, maybe there's a slight malt presence on the backend. Very sweet, but not fake by any stretch of the imagination. As close to apple soda as you can get without me hating it.

MF: Light, carbonated well, and absurdly drinkable.

O: I love this beer. I need to get more of it. Extremely sessionable and something I could drink with dinner. New Glarus, how are you this good with putting fruit in beer?

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%

I deemed this day New Glarus Sunday, so starting with Apple Ale, why the hell not?

A - Looks like apple cider, the real kind and not that more clear bullshit. Small white head, gives way to some decent lacing given the style/profile. Bubbles throughout.

S - Again, apple cider. Apples apparent in nose, good tart apples. Cinnamon, touch of clove even, nutmeg. It is all there, pretty close to perfect smell given what it is supposed to be. Love it.

T - Apple cider, malts, some faint spicy hops. Really solid. Nothing earth-shattering or life altering good but goddamn I wish I lived in Wisconsin sometimes. Then I remember it is Wisconsin...

M - A tad thin, airy, bubbles, and I get a tad of acidity that I could live without. Really appropriate though and didn't expect much more.

O - Quite glorious. The Dude definitely abides here, just so yummy and worthy. I could easily see buying cases of this if I had access, would be a great cross-over beer to get some people more into craft (isn't a lot of NG though?). Will drink again with a smile on my face.

This was 2012 bottle, I plan to do a 10, 11, 12 mini-vert here at some point just for the hell of it....don't expect huge differences but think it may be interesting anyway.

I give this one 7 green bananas.

Thumbprint Apple Ale from New Glarus Brewing Company