Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Black Wheat | New Glarus Brewing Company

newglarusbrewing.com

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by Skidz on 02-04-2005

2.58/5  rDev -36.8%

This offering from New Glarus Poured a dark cola brown with a huge pillowy tan head.

The smell was a strange mixture of funky sour yeast and a bit of molasses sweetness.

The flavor follows the smell with a funky sweet and sour taste mixing in with hints of coffee and chocolate. I am struggling to get past the weird sourness in the flavor.

The mouthfeel is very light with a bit of oilyness.

Overall a bit on the poor side.

2.75/5  rDev -32.6%

2.82/5  rDev -30.9%

A--Appears black, but when held up to the light it reveals itself to be a deep shade of brown. A conservative pour still yields almost 2 fingers of tan head that recedes slowly and leaves good lacing

S--Banana/clove, raisins, spices, funky breadiness, some citrus in the far background

T--This is my first of this style and I'm not sure it is for me. Spices and burnt bread dominate but they taste watered down. After a few sips I'm hardly even tasting it anymore, it has become cumbersome to drink. It's not offensive, its just not compatible with my palate.

M--Medium bodied with less carbonation that I would have expected from the head

D--Like I said, it is cumbersome for me to drink. Anyone who likes this style should skip my review because I am new to it, but newbies like myself be warned.

12 oz bottle poured into my Back Road Brewery standard American pint glass. Murky brown with a long standing tan head. Rich bready, chocolatey, clovey aroma. Not very assertive. Bitter chocolate wheat flavors. Very drying. Med/Full bodied. Not a fan of wheat beers, but alway up for something new.

3.04/5  rDev -25.5%

12 ounce bottle with no date posted on the label.

A- Dark, opaque black color with a decent tan foamy head.

S- A bit of a spicy smell to it.

T- Unusual with an almost salty. ham-like flavor, which is the best way I can describe it. Otherewise, the clove comes through the most for me.

D- My first one, hard to gauge yet.

3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

Very dark body, soft light brown head, healthy looking. Pillowy soft yet intense nose got a strong clove component. Mellow evolution, old bananas don’t overwhelm and provide just enough sweetness to counter the heavy roastiness. Very dry palate, dark toasted malts. Unleashing subtle dark fruit notes as it warms (grapes, figs), but it might be too dry, almost ashes like. At the same time, the mouthfeel is a bit spritzy, thin-medium thickness may be satisfying for what it is, but it is pretty biting… I applaud the effort at pushing the envelope on atypical styles in the US, but I don’t really find the particular appeal. It feels like a dunkelweizen amped up by throwing more dark malts and enhancing roastiness. Obviously my favourite among the few dunkelweizen I’ve had still.

3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

12 oz bottle. Thanks to Justn for the extra!

Pours quite black, but not completely. Nice inch + of solid head. No lacing, but still has a ring on top with 1/4 left to go.

Very pungent. Get some of the yeasty tang of a hefe, plus some cocoa from the dark malt. A touch of sourness too. Pretty darn interesting.

Presents some traditional hefe flavors. Bananas, some cloves, albeit not as strong as some. Still some sourness/funk outside of the usual yeasty twang. Interesting. Not sure how well the dark malt compliments the hefe characteristics.

Great beer to try once. Definitely creative and out of the ordinary.

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

Chilled bottle into a glass. An extra from badbeer. Thanks Mike!

A: Pours like a stout: a dark chocolate (brown) color that is nearly opaque, with only the slightest bits of light peeking through the edges. Unlike a stout, this has a generous off-white head that speaks to ample carbonation, and it leaves some lacing down the glass.

S: Roasted malts and dark chocolate; in concentrating, it is possible to pick up some banana and clove, but they are very mild.

T: Like a blend of a stout and a weizen. The weizen half takes over first, with a strong banana flavor, some wheat, and a very mild clove bit. It gives way to chocolate and roasted grains, and finishes with a chocolate-banana flavor that leans toward an earthy plum nature. It's very interesting.

M: Interesting enough to keep my palate engaged for the drink, but it really wears on me by the end of the glass. Well-masked ABV, slightly low carbonation for a weizen-based beer (which means it doesn't clean the palate very well), resulting in a buildup of flavor that just gets to me by the end.

D: I think one was enough.

3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours a dark brown with reddish hues and a thin head a bit of lace. Smell is mostly roasted malt with some earthy scents. Taste is of roasted malts and wheat with some other earthy tones. Mouth feel is medium with maybe a bit too much fiz. Drinkability is just ok.

3.43/5  rDev -15.9%

Bottle provided by Orbitalr0x, thanks for the opportunity! Pours a two and a half finger light brown head over a very dark brown liquid. When held to light I see that it's possibly even more muddy than it is dark. Smelled like cloves during the pour, up closer I get mostly cloves, but some chocolate and banana. Taste is clovey to the point of being bitter and really dominating the flavor. Banana enters late and stays beneath the rough phenolic clove. Another later entry is dry chocolate that hangs around in the dry clovey aftertaste. Md mouthfeel that disappears quick. Moderately carbonated.

3.47/5  rDev -15%

Thanks to GbVDave for this one.

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Chimay chalice. This beer pours a murky roasted brown with a decent 2 inch off beige head that leaves very little lacing as the beer diminishes from my glass. The aroma reminds me of overly baked banana bread. Banana, clove, burnt toast and just a little bit of bubble gum sweetness all come through in the aroma. The flavor profile is very similar with big banana, clove, and toast flavors coming through but definite milder notes of milk chocolate, toffee, and fig are also noticeable. A big bubble gum note wraps up the flavor profile on the finish. The mouthfeel, in my opinion, is probably the worst attribute of the beer. I think that this beer is overly thin for a dunkelweizen. While I understand that at 5.7% ABV, it cant retain a huge body, I wish there was just a little bit more to it. Other then its thinness, it finishes very dry. This is a good beer and I'm glad to have the opportunity to try it.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

Pour is almost black with a creamy white head. No lacing to speak of. Aroma is lots of roasted malt, along with some coffee, fudge, and cocoa. Taste is more of the same. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth (carbonation is closer to soda water than beer though), although I don't find it very drinkable, possibly due to personal preference. After reading the reviews I do detect a bit of banana nut bread.

3.51/5  rDev -14%

Picked up a six of this in Hudson, WI, after seeing some positive comments about this brew on BA. Any excuse to pick up another beer, & a New Glarus to boot! Let's go!

Brew is nearly as dark as an RIS, with the only light leaking through around the edges, nothing moving through the body except my pretty-boy reflection on this lovely glass. Smell is sweet wheat, which is a rather uncommon scent in my experience.

This is nice. Very carbonated, black wheat is jumping around in my mouth like Pop Rocks. Like the nose, very sweet for a wheat. Taste is hard to pin down for me; the wheatness & the sweetness are playing a little oddly together. Not badly, just oddly. If I was to fake like I had a palate I say something like "gum arabic with a touch of cinnamon after it's been dipped in apple cider." But I'm not going to go there. Like most wheats, this is easy going down.

Not up to the gold standard of Slam Dunkel, but a good beer nonetheless. I'd love to try this on tap.

3.52/5  rDev -13.7%

Thanks to Beerwolf77 for this one. Procurer of obscure Midwestern beers!! Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Harpoon Pilsner glass.

A: Gentle pour yields a monstrous powdery 4 finger light grayish-brown head with moderate retention. Beer is a surprising, opaque black. Lacing is spotty and with poor cling.

S: Nose is roasted malt, toffee, caramel, and brown sugar. Sweet overall and just a bit tart in the back. Subtle but tickles the nose.

T: Opens roasted malt and caramel. Toffee in the back gives this one a warming sensation. Subtly sour in the middle with some brown sugar. Sweetens towards the end. Liquorice and brownie. Finish is cocoa and aftertaste is sweet.

M: Light to medium bodied, decently carbonated and lively and prickly on the tongue and palate. Goes down rather warmly. Finishes messy with an aftertaste that doesn't linger.

D: A moderately complex brew that's very very easy to drink. Light bodied and robust flavor. Would make a terrific session beer as the Fall turns into winter. Possesses a warming quality and one could nurse a couple of bottles all night long.

3.53/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to my buddy Stonecrusher for the bottles of this one. David and I were glad to try this. Intriguing color that wants to be cola, but I am picking up on more of an auburgine type hue. The head doesn't last as long as I'd hoped. Aroma is interesting, the bubblegum is kept to a minimum (nice change!), and I am picking up on more of a mix of grainy huskiness/bright fruit. Tastewise, there's is an initial wheat hit, but suddenly the mouthfeel goes a bit thin, and that's a bit weird. I do pick up on some lingring fruity notes in the aftertaste. Interesting brew.

3.54/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a pint

A - Very dark brown - almost all the way to black. The edges show a little bit of amber hue through. Head formation is strong, eggshell in color. 2mm high, well retained. Not able to detect hazing or yeast suspension.

S - A dry grainy astringency dominates the nose. I would say its a wheat bite, husky and earthy.

T - Starts off with a light malt sweetness that starts to show some adjunct malts, caramel perhaps. Some yeasty and bready notes, backed up by the estery combination of clove and cinnamon. Mid-stream shows only the lighting flash. Finishes with a combination of sweet malt notes and some more of that grainy astringency. Almost if I were chomping on some oats.

M - Super hefty body - surprisingly for the style and for the abv target. Carbonation bite is present - noticeable.

D - The label says this one is for sipping around the fire. I would have to agree. It sits on the palette just a bit too hard to be a session beer. The very earthy, grainy tones really grab ahold of your taste buds.

I'm afraid to say it - but I almost find this beer too complex. Very difficult to nail down to determine what exactly you are enjoying.

3.56/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle on 11/17/09

A - pours a perfect pitch black with 2 inches of tan foam that stuck around for a long time

S - light wheat aroma, sweet malt, earthy

T - sweet malt ending, chocolate and some smokiness

M - good carbonation, smooth & creamy mouthfeel, a bit thinner than i expected

D - good flavor and mouthfeel, very drinkable and enjoyable

3.59/5  rDev -12%

Poured dark brown-to-black with a reddish-purple shining through the bottom 1/4 of my Weizen glass. Unlike most others before me, when poured very little head appeared, one finger tops with no lacing. I was expecting a similar head to the Crack'd Wheat I enjoyed last night. Good news is that I'm starting to pick up the aroma of clover which is paired very mildly with another spice and some fruits that I couldn't decipher (banana?). Taste doesn't do a lot for me. I pick up the banana but I'm having trouble pin-pointing the rest of the flavors - they all seem to collide with each other, none of them standing out amongst the rest. Light mouthfeel that doesn't coat the mouth and throat, but leaves behind an aftertaste that I do not much desire. Overall, this isn't by any stretch of the imagination my favorite style of beer and I might pass on another one if given the option; however, with more experience under my belt and other dunkelweizens sampled to pit it up against others in this category, maybe my appreciation would change my opinion.

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

A- Black (as the label promises) with a massive 2+ finger head.

S- Dark roast grain with light hints of banana and notes of clove.

T- The banana esters are quick and fleeting. Roasted malt dominates and brings clove flavors to the forefront. Finishes dry with a roasted bitterness.

M- Medium to full bodied, nice carbonation.

D- Nothing I'd go out of my way for.

Big props Dan for being different. Kinda like a stout meets weiss kinda thing. Although it deviates from a traditional dunkelweiss, it is a note worthy beer.

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

Another bottle of New Glarus that was kindly sent from Maximum12 in a box of surprises. Thanks Corey.
12oz bottle poured into the Sam Adams uberglass.
Bottle Graphics: 8/10.

A: Peanut butter brown color with an off white head. There are a couple patches of lacing, nothing bordering on black by name but it looks like a dunkel.

S: Heavily malty and wheaty. Something is reminiscent of a malty bock beer with a much lighter body. Definitely American flavors vs the German weizens that are out there. One lacking aspect are the spices.

T: Woody flavors with a little more spice than the aroma. Toasty malt flavorings are somewhat warming and substantial. Taste of saltines on top of a subtle hop bill.

M: Pretty chunky and nutty with what I thought was too much bubbling. I personally would prefer a tad more bitterness but its on style.

D: Tasty and a one off that I was happy to try. Different and complicated. Not quite my thing in the long run but appreciate its craftsmanship. New Glarus does not and has not dissapointed, do these guys make a bad beer?

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

Got this brew from LJArsenal, thanks!

Poured into a pint glass and produced a dark brown brew with a half inch tan head. There was little retention and almost no lacing.

Aroma contained roasted dark malts and dark chocolate aroma with a hint of spice.

Taste of clove and wheat/banana bread but very slight. A bit muted for a dunkelweizen in my opinion but still tasty.

Medium bodied, lightly carbonated. Not much flavor between sips though. Does make for a good session beer though.

Easily drinkable but a little on the light side of flavor. I would definitely have another, but this wouldn't be my go-to dunkelweizen. Definitely worth a try though.

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

A sort of cross between a hefeweizen and schwarz beir. Very nice. Dark with some ruby highlights. Bannana and clove yeast aroma with some dark malt character as well. Bannana and clove again in the flavour but with a smooth chocolate flavour and some sweetness. Very faint roast character. Silky texture, smooth. A really good hybrid beer. Nothing extreme. Rediculously drinkable.

3.66/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Looking forward to trying this beer for some time.

Pours a very dark brown, almost black color, with a very large tan head that fills my weizen glass to the top. Rings of lacing is left on the glass during consumption. The aroma consists of banana, cloves, and a bready malt aroma. Mild spice flavor with some yeast esters. The malt does not give up much flavor. Just some cracker like qualities. On the dry side overall. A light body, a bit thin, but nice carbonation. I was a bit disappointed in this beer. A nice drinker and worth a try as dunkelweizens are not that common. Just could not live up to my expectations.

Black Wheat from New Glarus Brewing Company