Thumbprint Enigma | New Glarus Brewing Company

Added by GCBrewingCo on 05-01-2005

Ratings: 1,372 |  Reviews: 484

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

Appearance - Dark red to brown in color. Lots of carbonation and a medium white head

Smell - Tart apple and brown sugar mixed with yeast notes.

Taste - Right in line with the aroma but even bigger than you would expect. Tons of wild tartness playing around with a juicy apple and brown sugar taste. So sweet and exciting in the mouth and the flavor really stays through the whole sip and even lingers in the aftertaste. Really impressive character

Mouthfeel - Very carbonated but also smooth and decently thick as well for the style

Overall - Absolutely floored by this one. One of the best sours I have ever had. This has to be the best beer I have ever had from New Glarus and that is saying a lot because Dan Carey really brews up some masterpieces. If you are a fan of sours do what you can to get your hands on this one. Amazing stuff

3.36/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Share out of a 12 oz bottle. Color is amber red, filtered and clear. Smell is of apples, slight oak. I was expecting more cherries. Mouthfeel was good, clean, acidic, almost a sweet apple cider vinegar. Above average overall, I would try it again, but would not seek it out.

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

snifter
A - thin light head, pink/orange/light amber
S - not a heavy sour smell, apple juice, light vinegar, definite sweetness, almost smelled liked mulled wine
T - sweet, apple/clove/spiced, the sour comes through on the end.
M - good, surprisingly heavy feel
O - i like it, its a bit sweet for me, not a light sour summer drink, great autumn beer. Had some mulling spice on hand to compare and its definitely hidden in there between the sweet apple and sour finish. I like it, my GF loves it.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

3.91/5  rDev -5.6%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with foiled over branded pressure cap acquired from Duff27 in a trade and served into a Uinta pilsner glass (it's all I have since me goblet broke!) in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Expectations are sky high given the brewery, but my good friend Blakelive784 told me it wasn't as great as he expected. Reviewed live. Thanks for this one, Duff27.

Served chilled; I don't like my sours too cold. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger beige colour head of average thickness, average creaminess, and above average (~3 minute) retention. Body colour is a rich vibrant clear reddish copper - a great colour, just not for an Oud Bruin per se. Translucent. It's a gorgeous body, but the head is a little meh. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Restrained sourness with a touch of cherry fruit sweetness. Lovely crystal malt. Great oak, with hints of vanilla. More sugary than I expected; the sweetness really dampens the sourness, which has me a little concerned. It's not the sour bomb I hoped for, but it's definitely appealing. Heavy pie notes, including crust and cherry filling. A bit of lactobacillus yeast. Appealing, but more timid than I hoped for. A moderate strength aroma. Very evocative, but it doesn't come off as wild/spontaneous/sour as I want beers in this style to.

T: Timid lacto sourness up front in the first act gives way to a cherry pie body with firm oak running throughout. A bit of lacto resurfaces on the climax, joined by clean refreshing malts. Sweetness is good, but really masks the sourness. It's not as sour as I want it to be; indeed it's not that sour at all. There's not a whole lot of depth of flavour here either; the lacto doesn't get a chance to shine and dig into the palate. Cranberry fruit esters. Juicy green apple. Just a hint of cidery character. Maybe some caramalt. Love the light crystal malt touches. It's really well balanced and quite complex and subtle, but it's just too damn timid for an Oud Bruin. Newcomers to sours will love this - and in many ways, I do too - but it's wanting. The cherry pie character is dominant.

Mf: Fairly acidic. Soft and chewy. Smooth and wet. Good thickness and body. Good presence on the palate. I want more assertive sharpness from the sourness, though. It suits the flavour profile quite well, and the carbonation is perfect, but it's just unexceptional for the style. A touch dry on the climax, lending it a bit of a refined cidre feel for a bit.

Dr: A very solid very good beer from New Glarus, but it doesn't deliver on the style like I wanted it to. Don't get me wrong, it's damn good stuff, but the sourness isn't there. Not like it should be. Extremely drinkable and likable. I'd definitely get it again at the right price, but it leaves something to be desired. Still, it's a damn respectable beer. Thanks for the opportunity to try this one, Duff27!

B+

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to maximum12!

12 fl oz brown glass bottle served in a tulip, reviewed live:

A - Pours a semi-translucent orange/copper color with two fingers of fizzy white head. Retention is average at best and there's no lacing.

S - Strong lacto sourness, sweet pie cherries, reserved oak, and a spicy vanilla note. A touch sweet. Moderate strength. The delicate balance is astounding and it's inviting as hell, though I'm guessing it's not as sour as I'd like.

T - Not as sour as I'd have guessed based on the nose. Moderated lacto and sweet caramel malts open. Sweet, fresh fruits, namely cherry, throughout alongside other fruity esters. Heavy oak on the finish, which becomes more pronounced as it warms. It reminds me of a cherry tart, but in a good way. Carefully built but tends toward the sweet end.

M - Light bodied and well carbonated.

D - Though I actually prefer a more sour beer, this is still a good offering. Definitely would be a good introduction to sours. It lacks the depth and complexity to make it truly great but it's another high quality beer from New Glarus.

4.52/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Received in a trade and poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice crystal clear coppery garnet hue with a one finger head that fade quickly to leave a very thin halo and tiny little clouds.

S - Cranberries, dark cherries, light vanilla, some light oak as well. Very pleasant.

T - Okay, more cranberry, TONS of dark cherries, really nice barrel notes (oak, fair amount of vanilla), light malt sweetness and caramel notes. Quite nice indeed and not overly sweet.

M - Mouthfeel is solid here with light carbonation and sour finish.

O - Overall, a damn tasty beer. Glad I have a few more of these. I would LOVE to try and make a dessert with this; maybe some mochi filling.

Thumbprint Enigma from New Glarus Brewing Company