Road Slush Stout | New Glarus Brewing Company

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by Todd on 02-10-2006

Reviews: 236 | Ratings: 585
4.2/5  rDev +8%

12 oz bottle received a while back from flyingbison! Thanks!

Pours black into my pint glass with a nice head that is dense and frothy like a cappuccino.

Aroma of rolled oat and malt is about all I can smell out of this. Really does look great, and appears to have held up since I got this.

Truly a thick and chewy stout, no hop presence, and incredibly easy to drink.

This is one of those beers that could be sessioned, though I am not sure on the alcohol percentage, this went down quite well.

I'd drink this way more if I could, and I bet its even better on tap!

Cheers, this is what Oatmeal stouts are all about.

4.12/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A- pours a deep dark brown, half finger fizzy head appears and slowly dissipates to a nice layer right on the surface, spotty lacing

S- wow this is a fantastic smelling stout, dark chocolate, roasted coffee that smells like it was just brewed, roasted malt, vanilla, smells incredible

T- bitter chocolate, roasted malt, slight sweetness, a strong taste of black coffee, very tasty the flavors mix well together

M- heavy body, creamy and smooth, low carbonation makes it go down easy

O- very nice oatmeal stout, it's a shame you can only grab this beer in WI, luckily I now live in Chicago and am only about an hour away from the border, I will def pick this one up again if I get the chance

Pours dark black with a reddish tan and tight head that fades quickly. Aroma is a medium size roastiness with some malt ball and chocolate sweetness. Also hints of smokiness and milk sugary sweetness. Taste follows these lines with a nice balance chocolate sweetness up front followed by an acidic like, milky roastiness and finishing with cola and chocolate. Medium to heavy body and incredibly silky smooth, carbonation is velvety with just a little tingle on the tongue. Highly drinkable, outstanding representation of the style.

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%

It poured limp into a Guinnes tulip; minimal head with decent lacing.
The smell is acrid malts with a little oatmeal sweetness. It feels like there is a little chocolate dying to be smelled, but the acrid smell beats it back into sumission.
The taste is pleasant. Lightly malted with a hinting of hops, but good balance. I expected more outmeal to come through. not there.
All in all, not a bad brew, but I would rather have Gray's.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.
No batch or freshness date.
Thanks to ThomasHardy for the great beer trade.

Pitch black in color, with some dark brown highlights. A short half inch mocha colored head forms, but disappears quickly. No lacing is left behind. Heavy on the chocolate smell, with coffee and roasted malt taking a backseat. Also, I detect a light smoky aroma. Mostly a roasted malt taste upfront, combined with chocolate and coffee. Leaves a nice chocolate milkshake like aftertaste on the tongue. A little thin, this is more like a porter. Maybe a little too much carbonation. Drinkability is good, considering this beer does not fill you up. Able to drink a few in one sitting. So far my favorite offering from New Glarus. A must try.

Thanks to EliteDigger for this one.

Super black opaque in appearance with a nice sized tan head.

Smell is sweet toasted malts. Coffee, bitter chocolate, bitter hops presence. Alcohol comes through a bit.

Taste is just like the aroma; Bittersweet chocolate, black coffee. Finishes with a nutty, alcohol dryness.

Very tasty & drinkable brew, not too sweet or richly overwhelming.

3.56/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark brown with a nice frothy head that very well retained. Promising start. Smell is a little bit sweet with roasted malts and other grains. The taste is also fairly sweet as well as some bitterness. Mouth feel is a little bit on the thin side, but smooth. Drinkability is decent. Not my favorite offering from NG.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

12 oz. bottle purchased locally. Bottle dated day #340 or December 6, 2011, less than a month ago. Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Opaque black; 1-1/2" fluffy, tan head that settles slowly and leaves consistent lacing across 2/3 of the glass surface; no effervescence.

S: Roasting coffee, bittersweet chocolate, toasted malts.

T: Espresso, nutty oatmeal malt; some light citrus, followed by light increase in bitterness that lingers.

M: Soft & smooth; light bodied, low carbonation; neutral-to-slightly-dry finish; little noticeable heat.

O: Tasty and drinkable, with good characteristics, a "single" stout that holds up well and opens up as it warms.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

12 oz bottle with a fairly strong pour into a pint glass

Look A dark brown body with a tan head that shrinks down to a small cap. Would look great if the head stuck around.

Smell Some dark chocolate malt and a hint of coffee, slightly sweet.

Taste Very balanced everything blends together very well some roasted malt chocolate, creamy coffee, and flowery hops. Good flavor, nothing stands out much making this a good drinking beer not a sipper.

Feel mild with good carbonation, creamy and clean.

Drink very drinkable not a sipper at all. Good stout for having more than a few.

Comment I really like this stout. A great edc beer that I wish I had tried much earlier. The drinkability is its strong point.

4.12/5  rDev +5.9%

Picked up a six pack of this from the Nova of Hudson. Poured from a bottle into a Surly Power of the Pint glass.

A -- Dark black in color with a light tan head, about 1" head on pour. Dissipates to a thin layer within a couple of minutes. Light levels of lacing as it goes down in the glass.

S -- Sweet chocolate, nice scent of roasted malts, and some coffee notes in the background.

T -- Chocolate, sweetness up front, some hop bitterness, creamy and a nice malt base. Seems to finish on the dry side. Very tasty, loving this stout.

M -- Creamy, smooth, finishes dry. Full bodied with medium level of carbonation.

O -- I loved this stout. A very solid beer from New Glarus, like i have always come to expect. They put out such solid brews that i drive to Hudson to get them. I think this is a very well balanced stout that is on the sweet side but still well balanced. I will definitely recommend this beer to stout fans.

4.01/5  rDev +3.1%

Beautiful dark stout with a HUGE brown head! This thing poured almost like a Guinness! Detected a little hop aroma, but not much more. Hops came through strong in the mouth as well, with a little maltiness in the middle, and a strong hop finish. Felt a little alcohol warming as it went down, and also thought I might have tasted a little dark coffee. Good mouthfeel with med/light carbonation perfect for the style. Still not quite as smooth as I'd expect from an oatmeal stout, though. A little harshness that seemed a little out of place.

3.66/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (Thanks BoilerBeer)

A- Does not appear to be a very thick or heavy beer. The color is a dark reddish brown almost mahogany. The head is a light tan almost off white in appearance but only lasts for a short time.
S- Roasted malt overpowers all other aromas and is the only thing I could smell at first. A sweet toffee scent does come through once the beer warms up to room temperature. It even seems to be a little smoky now that it is warmer.
T- This beer tastes just like it smells. The roasted malts are the main flavor. The after taste the beer leaves is a little sweet and smoky. This is a nice stout here. Nothing over the top or extra creative was done with this one. A nice change from all the extreme stouts I've had lately .
M- This is not a thick stout at all! Drinks more like a porter and is much thinner than expected.
D- When I think of stouts a session beer never comes to mind. However, this may be the closest thing to a session stout for me. NG has many other beers that I would search out just to have, but Road Slush is a great beer for what it is. A nice simple stout!!! I wish I could get this easier.

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

This is my first dissapointing experience with New Glarus. I just don't get it with this beer. It pours a nice enough looking cola-esque brown. The nose is grain and subtle hints of sweet malt but not incredibly noticeable. The taste is lacking for me and not all that stout-y. I do get a roasty, oatsy flavor with an acidic finish that just seems to thin to be a stout. Anyway, it seems more aleish than anything.

4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

Retired?? Can't be. I just got a bottle of it. I know New Glarus Brewing is just selling in Wisconsin because it cannot keep up with production. But my friends just came back from a trip up there and brought me back a bottle.

And to my friends, the Schmit family, I am eternally grateful for bringing me back the sampler.

A: This pours a dark mahogany brown but not black. Light can actually make it through it. An average pour produces a thin tan head that fades to a ring that persists throughout the drinking experience but does not produce any lacing.

S: A swirl releases a roasty malt aroma with hints of coffee and chocolate. Everything I would expect from a good solid stout regardless of its funny name.

T: The taste doesn't stray far from the smell. A good solid stout - coffee, dark chocolate (but not over the top), roast malts, and just a hint of smoke in there. Well balanced flavor in there.

M: Not as thick as some stouts but that is ok. Very easy on the mouth. Not overly carbonated.

D: Smooth, easy on the mouth, tasty. This is very easy to drink. I love it. I'm partial to stouts anyway but this is a good one. I would recommend it to all my friends but you can't buy it here in Illinois. I guess I will continue to rely on the kindness of friends.

Blessed be the Brew!!

3.77/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a bottle from a six pack into a tulip-shaped pint sized glass.

Looked fine coming out. Not thick, but the head was a nice tan color. Laced well.

Smelled freaking fantastic. Toasty, dark fruits. Very sweet, could be considered chocolate. Had that smell that says to me "hey, I've got a lot of flavor and a lot of booze, so drink me!" I like that smell.

Flavor was a let down. I saw not reason that this should be distinguished from any other American oatmeal or sweet stout. I was hoping for something different, but it was the same. Sweet, toasty, little chocolatey. The best quality is that the hops are more prominent that in other stouts.

Mouthfeel was thin and only slightly creamy. Feels washed out, watery. Not horrible, but there are stouts that feel better.

I had never had a stout from New Glarus and was hoping this was going to be really great. I find that it's good, but undistinguished. You can't really go wrong buying a six pack, but I think there are other better stouts. If I found it on tap I'd get it again to try it, but it's not my favorite. Anyone have any guesses about the ABV?

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

I like my stouts and porters near room temperature as did I served this beer.

Appearance -- I poured this beer into my imperial pint glass. Dark coffee in color with a three finger khaki head. The head lasted for a while, although I have read the reviews of others that said the head was quite weak and didn't last that long. I'm sure the imperial pint glass contributed a lot to the large and lasting head. Watery lacing.

Smell -- Rich, sweet cocoa.

Taste -- Reminiscent of a chocolate type drink. Roasted flavors. Quite enjoyable.

Mouthfeel -- Thin to medium. No too filling.

Drinkability -- Very drinkable. I think this is a solid offering from NG. I'm very impressed by NG's ability to make solid beers of such different styles. Would recommend and would drink again.

3.53/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at the local bowling alley.Arrived with a nice dark brown color , and a nice , medium body head.

not a strong smell , at least not what I expected , had a sweet , malt aroma.

Taste was smooth burnt toast , coffee , roasted nut, slightly sweet.

mouth feel was as expected for this stout.

smooth tasting, slight after taste, easy drinking.

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a dark brown with a creamy head.

Had a delicious smell of coffee and chocolate. The smell is not overpowering, and has hints of sweetness.

Taste follows the nose, predominately chocolate, coffee, with a hint of vanilla and dark fruit. Taste is very smooth, not bitter at all.

Feels medium bodied on the tongue, leaves a coating on the tongue and roof of mouth that feels like I just drank some hot cocoa, kind of gritty. Smooth, not bitter.

Drinkability is medium-high. Would be easy to session a few of these.

Overall, this is the first stout I've ever tried from New Glarus, and I'm enjoying it. I like the smooth roasted flavors and lack of bitterness. The gritty feeling left in the mouth is a negative, though.

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

Almost black with a tan fringe. It sticks appetizingly to the glass. The smell is all roasted malt with hints of chocolate. The taste is true to smell and appearance. There is nothing light or fruity about this beer. It's stout. And darn tasty. There's a pleasant, appropriate-to-style mouthfeel. I wouldn't drink too many of these in the summer, but it would work on a brisk winter evening. Or while ice fishing. This is the perfect ice-fishing beer. It'll warm you up.

3.86/5  rDev -0.8%

This beer had a nice pour, and a smooth head with a slightly orange tint. The dark brown beer is actually slightly lighter than most stouts i've had, kind of looked like a deep amber.

The smell doesn't seem to contain anything overpowering or distinct to me, but I might just be missing it.

The taste is a nice mix of bitter and creamy, with a solid stout taste, a little hoppier than some stouts. Very easy to drink, and a great solid taste.

3.74/5  rDev -3.9%

a-dark, brown color, nice head when poured, and a light lining stays with it.

s- sweet smelling, a little brown sugar i smell

t-its not the best oatmeal stout I have had, everything is great except the aftertaste, it just seems very dull, water downed at the end.

m-very smooth except for the end

d-overall it is a decent beer, but there are other new G beers i would rather have

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

much thanks to thomashardy for this 12 oz sharing

beautiful pitch black beer with brownish red edges and chocolate milk colored head. nice 1 1/2 finger head, accompanied by some with nice lacing. nice, sweet cocoa and espresso. very up in your face. taste is very much the same, but somewhat more tame. the mouthfeel is somewhat thin, not like a lot of the stouts out there. overall, this was a very pleasing beer. i really wish i had more access to new glarus, the haven't disapointed me yet.

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours with a nice, choclate milk colored head. Deep, opaque black body.

Aroma is largely coffee and chocolate with some lighter, flowery notes coming through.

Flavor of dry roast and chocolate dominates, with light bitterness lingering in the mouth. There is some amount of saltiness as well, with a layer of sweetness sort of gliding over the whole thing.

Very creamy mouthfeel that coates the tongue, with low carbonation.

I would go for another sixer of this. At first I thought this beer lacked a fullness of flavor, but have come to realize that there is a nice, well-balanced representation of flavors from sweet to bitter here.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Sweet Mother of Stout.
The new one from New Glarus is a creamy, rich treat.
I picked up 6 on an cold sloppy Wisconsin evening filled with lots and lots of Road Slush, the real stuff. The choice was fitting for the day.
Pours deep, dark, and almost black. Respectable head for an oatmeal stout.
Smell is light compared to the taste. Taste is rich with smooth chocolate malt crafted with precision. Feels great on the mouth and I could drink these all night long. B+

4.83/5  rDev +24.2%

Love it, love it, love.

This beer tastes like hershey's special dark, maybe better. It has the nose of a cigar and a nice rich foam.

Until I met this beer, Hinterland's Winterland was my favorite dark chocolatey brew, now its this.

The orange color on the bottle is a little deceiving, cause its a nice dark chocolate brown.

I just wanna put one in the freezer in a paper bag for half an hour and see if I can make a slushy out of it.

Road Slush Stout from New Glarus Brewing Company