Thumbprint Cherry Stout | New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
newglarusbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Formerly Unplugged Cherry Stout.

Added by badbeer on 02-21-2006

3.2

2.5/5  rDev -33.5%

2.57/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Received in a recent trade with wedgie9 and cracked open during poker night at Sami's. Poured a moderately dark brown and produced a very light brown, nearly non-existent, head that was basically just a ring around the inside of my glass. Ruby brown highlights are seen when held up to the light. This looks remarkably similar to cola. You could probably tell me that I was looking at a root beer (when held up to the light) and I would believe you. Not surprisingly, there is very little lacing left on the glass.

Damn! The aroma of this thing is in-your-face sweet cherry. Wow. Chocolate cherry with a bit of alcohol - approaches the unpleasant smell of cough syrup. Frankly, I'm having a bit of trouble getting past this part of the nose - perhaps a bit of syrupy soda in there as well. I applaud what NG has got going on in here...but it is a bit too much for me.

Very sweet cherry syrup tasting drink. It really tastes more like a cherry juice drink than it does a stout. Given how thin and light this beer is, I'm having trouble with the category anyway. There is a bit of roasty bitterness on the back end, but that is one of the few parts that resembles stout. About halfway through the beer, I realized how surprisingly similar this is to the Belgian Red; and both are a bit too sweet for my liking. I know that several claim there to be a decent "tart" associated with the cherry stout, but I'm really not getting any of it...just sweet.

I really do enjoy a lot of beers from New Glarus. However, the unplugged Cherry Stout was disappointing. Again, it doesn't help that I'm not partial to sweet beers. Regardless, this one certainly could have been helped by having some tart in there to help balance the malty sweetness (they do a great job of this with their Unplugged Cranbic). I'll surely try it again, and adjust my rankings as appropriate, but for the time being this one is going to remain pretty low for me.

Consumed: 5/19/2010

2.6/5  rDev -30.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Received this as an extra in a recent trade, and was really excited to try it as I've enjoyed some of my previous New Glarus offerings. The poured with ZERO head. Usually I pour stouts slowly down the side of a tilted glass so I don't have an excessive head. However, when it started off without any semblance of one, I poured it largely into an upright glass. No head. This is not opaque. Light DOES permeate through the body of this beer. The nose is straight up cherry. Almost too much cherry. The taste was the start of the real let down. This is sooo tart, without anything else typical of a stout being present. I just don't get this beer. The mouthfeel is borderline terrible. It's very thin, unlike what I've come to expect and enjoy in a stout. I could have finished this beer, but really had no desire to whatsoever.

2.6/5  rDev -30.9%

12 oz bottle with red foil wrapped over the neck.

Surprisingly dark brown with ruby accents. The tight, oily head didn't leave much residual lacing, as any that was left behind was soon streaking down the side of the glass. Ultrasweet cherry flavors right off the bat, with an acrid sourness that offsets it pretty well...it's not messing around. Not sure what the %ABV of this one is, but you can definitely taste the alcohol with each sip, and soon ensues a slight warming effect on the belly.
After having the Belgian Red & Raspberry Tart, the cherry flavors seem more artificial, and even a bit cloying at times, but it's somewhat expected considering the bold use of cherries by the boys at New Glarus. This could also be due to the chocolate & malt flavors that are strewn in as well, which distract from the true cherry flavor.

While fairly unique and certainly not lacking any punch in the flavor department, the combination of tastes didn't do anything for me. It's hard to excel with fruit-based beers..and while New Glarus has a number of good ones, this one misses the mark for me.

Bottle courtesy of badbeer, thanks again for letting me try this one.

2.63/5  rDev -30.1%

#BOTG 55! Poured from bottle into Brooklyn tulip. Pours a dark dark blood red/brown color, almost no head at all. Visible small bubbles come up from the bottom of the glass. Smell- like I am sticking my nose into the cherry tank of a soda fountain machine. Chemically, syrupy, artificial smelling cherries. Maybe a little bit of port wine smell mingled with maybe some chocolate. Not a great aroma. Taste- really sharp carbonation, this pretty much tastes like a cherry Dr. Pepper having sex with a chocolate truffle cheap candy you would get in a shitty box of valentines day candy. The mouthfeel is thin, and really there is nothing "stout" about this beer at all. Mediocre, a disappointment from a brewery I wanted to get more exposure to that I know is capable of beers way better than this. This will go down the drain in favor of something different tonight.

2.63/5  rDev -30.1%

A: No head whatsoever. Not nearly as dark as I'd expect a stout to be, I can see through it in a pint glass.

S: Smells strongly of cherries and bourbon with a hint of dark chocolate. If smell is an indicator this beer is going to taste great.

T: This is a stout?!? Strong bourbon oak flavor, too strong in my opinion. The cherries are nice...different, but this doesn't at all taste like a stout.

M: Thin is all I can say. Too thin for what I'd expect out of a stout.

D: I just can't drink this. Too strong of a bourbon taste. By half way through the bottle I had to dump it. It would have received much higher numbers if the bourbon flavor had not been so strong.

There is no way this is a stout. Maybe this would rate better listed under a different style.

2.65/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Browned ruby cola color with a soft, loosely set dark ivory top of pinky high stature. Minimal lacing in a couple squiggly strings and dots.

Aroma is dark cherry sweet and vanilla with a soda-esk effervescence. More like a malted beverage type of aroma then beer related.

Same goes for the taste, very soda, malt beverage like, overly sweet and cherry soaked with an unbalanced character that doesn't seem all that stout-like in character. Sweet and tangy with that certain tart cherry bite with no real mellow tones or subtleness. Its broad and rich with cherry. Unfavorably, however; and impartial to the buds. A nice experiment, but nothing to seek out or get worked up about. Unless sour cherry stuff is your thing, then by all means, this beer will suit your tastes just right.

Feel is deeply soured with cherry tartness and no balance within a slick, tart grabbing light/medium body.

I could hardly bring myself to drink it. Far too sweet and cola, malt beverage-like. How sad, I usually like New Glarus offerings, but this was a huge surprising disappointment. Bluck...

2.65/5  rDev -29.5%

New Glarus Unplugged Cherry Stout

Served in New Belgium globe glass

A: Pours deep amber-brown and backlighting reveals nice clarity. Head is not noteworthy.

S: Surprise, surprise, pie cherries are front and center. Smells sweet like an Icee.  Additional aromas include vanilla, wood, and subtle vinegar.

T: Sweet pie cherries with vanilla that lead into very light notes of wood and vinegar. A little chocolate mousse presents itself in finish.

M: Light body and fizzy carbonation. Drinks like a two-liter of pop that is just showing signs of going flat.

O: Too sweet, too light and too simple.  I'm coming to the conclusion that New Glarus fruit ales are simply different points on the same spectrum. And it all tastes like delicious pop. Not delicious beer.

2.7/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with foiled over branded pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Thanks to Duff27 for the bottle. Expectations are high given the brewery and style, though the current ratings seem rather low. Aged in oak barrels according to the label. Uses 8 different maled barleys. Brewed with cherries. Label art is nothing to write home about.

Served straight from the fridge and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours an audibly fizzing head of beige colour, poor thickness, and bad (~10 second) retention. No lacing whatsoever. Not horribly impressed with the head, especially at a paltry 6.50%. Body colour is a refined understated dark amber. Semitransparent and semitranslucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Not at all what I expected for a Cherry Stout, but I suppose New Glarus isn't known for churning out predictable beers. Still, this one doesn't look all that great. I'm excited to try it regardless.

Sm: Ugh. Distinct cherry cough syrup; it's uncanny. I've joked about cough syrup aromas in previous reviews, but this really really evokes it. In any case, the cherry seems chemical and artificial, not genuine or fruit-like. The aroma is really turning me off to it. Ugh. Maybe there's candi sugar when I really look for it? A pretty strong, pungent aroma. I don't detect any yeast or alcohol.

T: Better than the aroma, to be sure. Clean malts form the body, with a pleasant lightly sour cherry kick on the climax. Sugary and candy-like. Good sweetness is balanced well by light caramel. The oak is nowhere to be found. Lightly tart. Enjoyable. It's decently balanced, if a bit too sweet. Not horribly complex or subtle, but it gets the job done. I do like it, but this is not the level of quality I've come to expect from New Glarus. I do like the cherry.

Mf: Smooth, wet, a bit too thick, and slightly undercarbonated. Full-bodied. Too heavy on the palate. A bit viscous, but I wouldn't call it syrupy. Suits the flavour profile okay.

Dr: The appearance and aroma really had me concerned, but it wasn't a train-wreck after all. Still, I do expect more from New Glarus and this so-called "Cherry Stout" wasn't at all what the name might suggest...that wouldn't be an issue if it was amazing anyway, but it's neither a cherry stout nor a very good beer. I definitely think it's worth trying and I like the experimentation, but this one missed the mark. They need to commit more to the spontaneous fermentation/cherry combination or to the oak aging; neither is well explored here. Glad I got to try this one. Thanks again, Duff27!

Low C

2.78/5  rDev -26.1%

A: Redish brown pour. Nicehead with good lacing.

S: Um, cherries? Yeah, that's it, cherries....cherry cough syrup really. Although nothing else really going on, it's does smell quite nice for what it is.

T: Wow, tastes like a think cherry cola...and a really sweet one at that. Cherries, cherries, cherries. Not really much of a beer taste at all. Hard to believe this is a stout. The style in BA is a fruit beer, which seems more accurate than a 'Cherry Stout'

M: High carbonation. A thin, but thick and sticky body. Again, hard to believe this is a stout

D: Drinkabily is tough for me with this one. Could't finish one before giving it to someone else to finish so I could have something else.

2.82/5  rDev -25%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Ok beer if you don't call it a cherry stout. I wanted a stout that had a cherry taste and instead this is just like their belgian tarts with a hint of dark beer. It's completely backwards IMO. I love New Glarus' beer, but I think calling this a stout is very misleading.

2.86/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours a very dark brown in color with some ruby highlights. Smell is tart cherries and some chocolate.
Taste is the same as the smell, but not impressive. The flavors just don't meld too well with each other. This beer sounded really good, but was a bit of a let down for me. Not my favorite New Glarus offering.

2.87/5  rDev -23.7%

OK, this is one of those reviews that isn't a true reflection of how much I like this beer. The beer poured a very dark red, not black like a stout should be, with just the thinnest cap of khaki head that had low retention and no lacing.

The aroma was strongly of cherries, and I love cherries, with just the faintest wisps of roast in the background. The cherry dominates the tongue as well, and there is a bit of a coffee/burnt roast taste on the finish.

The body was by far one of the thinnest I've ever had for a stout. Drinkability was very good, for a lighter beer than what this beer is supposed to be. Overall, this is a very good beer that I enjoyed a lot and would like more of. If the brewery were to call this a Cherry Brown Ale it would have gotten a much higher numerical score. There's just not much stout-like about this tasty beer.

2.88/5  rDev -23.4%

A: Not quite black. When held to light, dark maroon shades on the edges. Nice off-white head, 1 finger width, reduces to a thin film quickly.

S: One word: Cherries. Completely in your face. Almost smells artificial. Pick up some other dark fruit as well, but nothing to indicate this is a stout.

T: Beer is sweet, but also tangy flavor with the immense cherry flavor. Sort of a black cherry candy flavor. Really dont care for this too much. The cherry is over the top.

M: Taste was below average for me, but the mouthfeel is even worse. Super thin. This is supposed to be a stout? Light carbonation and no body make this almost watery.

D: Its drinkable, but I didnt care for it. I'm not sure I would even recommend it to someone who enjoys fruit flavored stouts, because this isnt a stout at all.

2.91/5  rDev -22.6%

Another New Glarus thanks to levifunk. I really liked the Old English Porter, but not as much the Totally Naked, although the Stone Soup wasn't bad. Hopefully this is another from the Unplugged series that totally rocks.

A: A nice fizzy 1 finger head rises up and fades at a medium pace. It's a dark brown almost black color with hints of light coming through on all parts that are not really thick, and gives off the slightest dark red tinge.

N: The nose is like cherry cough syrup and cherry Lifesavers. Seriously! I think I get the slightest hint of dark malts, a touch of roast, and a little sour cherry. But just butt loads of cherry. WTF! A little too heavy on the cherry.

T: I'm a little afraid to taste it now... but alas it must be done. Oh damn! More of the same! Lots of cherry cough syrup and cherry Lifesaver! Ug! I didn't sign up for this. Why New Glarus, why?!?!?! As it warms I get the slightest... wait, not all I get is friggen cherry! Cherry syrup, cough syrup, candy, sour cherry, like all kinds of cherry combined to bombard every sense. I don't get any stout flavors as all! Oh yeah, it's also super sweet. So sweet, my wife who puts 10, that's right TEN sugars in her coffee can't drink this!

M: Medium body with decent carbonation and quite a bit of a spicy cherry tingle to it.

F: Lots of sticky sweet cherry, cherry syrup, candy, a little cough syrup, chewy cherry candy, again you name it and it came from cherry. Damn, I really would have liked SOMETHING other than just cherry. Perhaps some actual STOUT flavors would be nice! I can't, in all good conscience, give this a good rating. Perhaps a drain pour, I'll see if I can get through the whole thing, or perhaps give it to my wife. I tried, even she can't drink this! I think a drain pour which is sad.

2.94/5  rDev -21.8%

This stout is part of New Glarus' Unplugged Series -- uncut, uncensored and unconventional offerings.

Pours a dark cola color with ruby highlights. Aroma reeks of Cherry Sucrets: seriously overpowering and artificially unpleasant, almost like a cherry air freshener for your car. (Imagine a pair of cherries hanging from your rearview mirror.)

Taste parallels the nose. This stuff tastes like Cherry Sucrets with an added tang of metal. I could appreciate a certain tartness associated with this fruit, but what I'm getting borderlines on cloying sweetness. To be fair, as this stout warms the overwhelming cherry-ness begins to wane. (Either that, or you begin to build up an immunity to cherry overkill.)

Mouthfeel is syrupy (as in cough) and chewy, with a light effervescence that's refreshing enough. I'm going to say that drinkability is slightly below average, although I did pound this after cutting the grass.

Overall, an interesting experiment, but one that I won't repeat. Do yourself a favor: If you like cherry-infused beer, pick up a bottle of New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red. It's a far more enjoyable (read, world-class) experience in my humble opinion.

2.95/5  rDev -21.5%

Reviewing the Cherry Stout from the Thumbprint series produced by New Glarus Brewing Company.
Score: 80

Bottle is from the late winter of 2012 -- I want to say February 2012, but do not know for certain off the top of my head. Served in a Surly Darkness snifter and enjoyed on 09/19/12.

Appearance: Pours a translucent reddish brown color with a half to full finger of off-white head that settles to a bubbly ring around the glass. Lots of ruby highlights in the center when held up to light. Decent lacing. 3.5/5

Smell: Cherry Robitussin, cherry-flavored lozenges, and hot cocoa mix. 3.5/5

Taste: Tastes like an acidic, chocolatey stout that was featured on an episode of Will It Blend with a bag of cherry lozenges. Light caramel flavor too. Finishes with a fizzy, Belgian Red-esque and cocoa flavor. Finish is above average tasting, but the upfront flavor of this beer is an absolutely muddled mess. 2.5/5

Mouthfeel: Light-plus bodied, medium-high carbonation. Fizzy on the tongue. Horrible mouthfeel for a stout, but OK mouthfeel for the Belgian Red-like finish. 3/5

Overall: A great example of why I generally avoid "cherry stouts." New Glarus has a lot of really good beers in their unplugged/thumbprint series -- this is not one of them.

Recommendation: Skip this beer.

Pairings: The common cold.

Cost: $9.99 for a four pack.

2.96/5  rDev -21.3%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by writerLJBerg at a Portland tasting. Thanks Luke. From notes.

A: Pours a garnet-tinged brown body with a frothy tan head. Great retention, with some lace down the sides of the glass.

S: Delivers an aroma of tart cherry and slight chocolate notes. The overall effect is of artificial cherry syrupy -- writerLJBerg compared it to Cherry Dr. Pepper, and I'd agree with that. I can't pick up much else in the aroma.

T: The comparison is strengthened after tasting the beer. Artificial cherry syrup, reminding me of the liquid that maraschino cherry jars contain. I pick up just a hint of the supposed stout base, coming through as a little chocolate and roasted malt. They're quickly suppressed by a wave of oak, which contributes a light astringency to the finish.

M: It's tannic, both from cherry skins and oak. It makes the finish feel drying, which is nice when you have tartness in play. It's light-bodied, with high carbonation.

D: New Glarus generally nails the fruit styles pretty well, so this is a rare disappointment. It's not a bad beer, just fairly mediocre and uninteresting. After trying this and the R&D Kriek, I've got this idea in my head that New Glarus's fruit-based beers tend to fit more in the Fruit Beer style than whatever other style they purport to represent -- i.e. this is a fruit beer and not a stout, and the R&D Kriek was a fruit beer and not a lambic.

2.97/5  rDev -21%

Muddy, dark maroon brown sporting a large-bubbled, pink-beige lacing.
The oak and cherries provide the dominant nosework, with a sauerkraut tic that harkens back to their Sour Brown Ale. Vague cinnamon and vanilla come out as it warms. It contains no hints, aroma-wise, that this is even remotely akin to a stout.
And it really doesn't hint in the flavor department, either.
Tart cherries hit first and stay long. Gooey and candied upfront, they slowly dissolve as oak takes hold and adds woodsy, nearly cinnamon drying traits. It adopts a mulled cider persona for a moment. The tiniest glint of fudge appear, but a vinegar and lime-juice sourness shears it short, towing that selfsame notion of boiled kraut.
The mouthfeel is somewhere between grabby thick and flaccid thin. The liquid itself has little life and leaves a slime-trail of tart cherries and near bile acidity down the tongue. And with no percolation from CO2, it stays there seemingly forever.
To say it's horrible would be too harsh, but this has some glaring flaws, and with several very similar brews in NG's stable (i.e. Sour Brown, Enigma, and Belgian Red), this one cannot be recommended.

2.97/5  rDev -21%

Thank you Lukaski for picking this up for me.

The color is a cola brown and ruby color. Not much in the way of head, but an OK film of foam tht retains throughout all twelve ounces.

The aroma is almost all tart cherry, that has a somewhat cough syrup like quality to it. Theres maybe some pumpernickle aromas mixed in too. But very faint.

Tart cherry juice upfront and about the same through the middle. The finish smoothes out a little bit. Some grainy, bready flavors shine through on the finish only. This is more like cherry juice mixed with sme stout.

Thumbprint Cherry Stout from New Glarus Brewing Company