Thumbprint Cherry Stout | New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
newglarusbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Formerly Unplugged Cherry Stout.

Added by badbeer on 02-21-2006

3.2

12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a deep clear ruby, with a finger of light mocha head with maybe even just a little bit of a pinkish hue to it. This retains with some creamy bunching around the edges of the glass, with a solidly robust flareup that leaves some patchy swathes of lacing down the sides. The aroma is straight up cherry juice and vanilla notes, with the sweetness and sugars of this reminding me a lot of an old fashioned cherry soda. I'm getting just a smidge of cocoa and roast in the background, just enough to shake the nose up a bit. I will say that this is VERY full and assertive though. I'm digging it.

The taste is very similar to the aroma, with a bright cherry flavor to it, along with some backing notes of chocolate and just a touch of dark roast that helps cut the tartness of the cherries some. Some lightly spicy hops run through this, giving this a quick zip of spicy bitterness. Lingering tart cherry juice and some residual sugars hang on the lips after each sip. The mouthfeel medium bodied, with a bubbly and creamier feel up front that then gets sharper in the back. There's a definite smooth slickness underneath that keeps this easy and very drinkable.

At first this doesn't come off as very "Stout-like" but give it some time and let those subtle roasty notes work on you and it becomes a little more evident what they were trying for here. I will say though that this is pretty darn heavy on the cherry but I didn't mind so much. This was some pretty tasty stuff!

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

A - More of a really dark red than anything resembling a stout. You could call brown, but it's definitely not black. Cap of tan foam on top that looks like it has a bit of staying power. It's a nice looking beer, but I wouldn't have guessed a stout.

S - Wow. Huge amounts of cherry from the start. They have a bit of a fresh smell to them, but at the same time there's a definite cough syrup aroma.

T - I'm not sure what to say. This tastes nothing like a stout. What it does taste like is someone bulldozing cherries into my tongue. It's delicious. Lots of cherry sweetness backed by what I'm guessing is acetic acid, which provides a slight burning on the back of the throat. As it warms a little more malt sweetness comes through, but I'm not getting any roasted barley.

MF - On the thinner side with pretty ample carbonation. Finishes on the dry side. It wouldn't match up with a regular American stout, but it does match up with what this beer actually is.

D - A bit more malt complexity would have gone a long way. It seems like NG wanted to emphasize the cherry, but they did it at the expense of the stout part of the flavor profile. Also, some more malt to offset some of the cherry would have probably added to drinkability. As it is, it's good alone and would probably be great with dessert, but I can't imagine having more than one.

4.29/5  rDev +14.1%

Thanks to Craig for sending me this one awhile back.

A: The pour is a mildly muddled mahogany color (apologies for the consonance).

S: Pure cherries on the nose. A really nice sweetness and fruit note that is almost reminiscent of the Wisconsin Belgian Red.

T: The cherries come through strongest off the bat and are nice and sweet, but not artificial tasting at all. As the beer warms and subsequent sips are taken, a nice chocolate flavor comes out. This one has an almost tootsie roll taste to it.

M: The body is medium with a nice moderate carbonation to it.

D: One of the best of the Unplugged beers to this point. I really loved the great cherry flavor and the stout component underneath.

4.39/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint and shared with schen9303.

A: Pours an off-white 1 finger coarse head that dissipates quickly. Beer is a near opaque but clear, dark cherry color. Lacing is spotty to non-existant.

S: Initial sniff gives a huge cherry cola scent. There's very little else here with maybe a hint of cocoa and caramel in the background. However, smell is overall very sweet and appetizing. I can't wait to dig in.

T: Sweet black cherries, cocoa, and a bit of chocolate and caramel. Cherries are prominent throughout while the chocolate becomes more pronounced as the brew warms. Finishes with a nice spiciness with an aftertaste of subtle sweet cherry.

M: Light to medium bodied, slightly carbonated, and very smooth. A bit watery in the mouth and goes down super easy. Finish is accented with a slightly sticky and oily aftertaste.

D: Another outstanding fruit beer from New Glarus. This is just a better cherry cola mixed with a better Wisconsin Red. Absolutely amazing. Great taste, body, and super drinkable. I feel like I could finish a case of this in one sitting. Seek it out, its unbelievably good!

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Thanks to oach for this brew!
Appears a very dark cola color with a quickly receding tan head. Smells like a big juicy cherry tart. A bit of the old Luden's cough drop too. I get a bit of the tootsie roll chocolate cherry combo as well.

The taste is similar to the taste but yet not. The chocolate comes to the front a bit more and the cherries though there aren't as "in your face".

Very light for a stout as everyone has mentioned. Pretty smooth with nice carbonation.

It is a bit sweet but still a tasty brew. Worth a try at minimum.

2.87/5  rDev -23.7%

OK, this is one of those reviews that isn't a true reflection of how much I like this beer. The beer poured a very dark red, not black like a stout should be, with just the thinnest cap of khaki head that had low retention and no lacing.

The aroma was strongly of cherries, and I love cherries, with just the faintest wisps of roast in the background. The cherry dominates the tongue as well, and there is a bit of a coffee/burnt roast taste on the finish.

The body was by far one of the thinnest I've ever had for a stout. Drinkability was very good, for a lighter beer than what this beer is supposed to be. Overall, this is a very good beer that I enjoyed a lot and would like more of. If the brewery were to call this a Cherry Brown Ale it would have gotten a much higher numerical score. There's just not much stout-like about this tasty beer.

3.94/5  rDev +4.8%

Bottle into big red wine glass, thanks to Jeff (AleWatcher). It cannot be overstated how excited I get when I see a new Glarus bottle, and this one is definitely no different. Big thanks once again Jeff!

Pours deep ruby brown with little to no real head, just a few wispy suds on top.

Nose smacks you upside the head with a big acetic sourness. Huge sour cherries, some vinegar sourness, treading almost into cough syrup territory but not quite. Hints at roasted malt underneath, barely there.

Taste is really unexpectedly fantastic. Acidic up front, light vinegar in the bite underneath tons and tons of sharply intense sour cherries. Stout character only comes in towards the finish, with a nice, light roastiness providing a welcome complexity. This is a really interesting beer; it feels like a blend of a mild stout and their Wisconsin Belgian Red; lots of Belgian Red, actually. With just a bit of acetic acid to give it some zing, which may just come from the Red. Finish lingers with sharp cherries with a bit of vinegar.

Mouthfeel is kind of sticky, syrupy even, with a coarse carbonation that is accentuated by the acidic sourness. Not great, but it certainly didn't slow me down much.

Drinkability is kind of a mixed bag. So tasty and interesting, yet at the same time this is not made to be a session beer me thinks. The crisp, sharp acidity is tasty, but doesn't exactly
beg for pint after pint. Mouthfeel isn't amazing for repeated sampling either; however, even that can't hold down the fact that the beer is simply good.

2.88/5  rDev -23.4%

A: Not quite black. When held to light, dark maroon shades on the edges. Nice off-white head, 1 finger width, reduces to a thin film quickly.

S: One word: Cherries. Completely in your face. Almost smells artificial. Pick up some other dark fruit as well, but nothing to indicate this is a stout.

T: Beer is sweet, but also tangy flavor with the immense cherry flavor. Sort of a black cherry candy flavor. Really dont care for this too much. The cherry is over the top.

M: Taste was below average for me, but the mouthfeel is even worse. Super thin. This is supposed to be a stout? Light carbonation and no body make this almost watery.

D: Its drinkable, but I didnt care for it. I'm not sure I would even recommend it to someone who enjoys fruit flavored stouts, because this isnt a stout at all.

2.91/5  rDev -22.6%

Another New Glarus thanks to levifunk. I really liked the Old English Porter, but not as much the Totally Naked, although the Stone Soup wasn't bad. Hopefully this is another from the Unplugged series that totally rocks.

A: A nice fizzy 1 finger head rises up and fades at a medium pace. It's a dark brown almost black color with hints of light coming through on all parts that are not really thick, and gives off the slightest dark red tinge.

N: The nose is like cherry cough syrup and cherry Lifesavers. Seriously! I think I get the slightest hint of dark malts, a touch of roast, and a little sour cherry. But just butt loads of cherry. WTF! A little too heavy on the cherry.

T: I'm a little afraid to taste it now... but alas it must be done. Oh damn! More of the same! Lots of cherry cough syrup and cherry Lifesaver! Ug! I didn't sign up for this. Why New Glarus, why?!?!?! As it warms I get the slightest... wait, not all I get is friggen cherry! Cherry syrup, cough syrup, candy, sour cherry, like all kinds of cherry combined to bombard every sense. I don't get any stout flavors as all! Oh yeah, it's also super sweet. So sweet, my wife who puts 10, that's right TEN sugars in her coffee can't drink this!

M: Medium body with decent carbonation and quite a bit of a spicy cherry tingle to it.

F: Lots of sticky sweet cherry, cherry syrup, candy, a little cough syrup, chewy cherry candy, again you name it and it came from cherry. Damn, I really would have liked SOMETHING other than just cherry. Perhaps some actual STOUT flavors would be nice! I can't, in all good conscience, give this a good rating. Perhaps a drain pour, I'll see if I can get through the whole thing, or perhaps give it to my wife. I tried, even she can't drink this! I think a drain pour which is sad.

3.33/5  rDev -11.4%

Cracked open a bottle tonight watching the Flyers beat the Hawks in Game #4.

Received in another great trade with wisconsinbeer1, a great traders and even better guy. Thanks Jason.

As with all NG beers, I anxiously awaited trying this. I have basically loved every NG beer that Jason has kindly passed my way.

A - Pours a cola brown with a decent side head that backs down to a small film on top of the beverage while in the glass.

S - A good blast of cherry but more like a cough syrup. It neither impresses me as being tart or sweet, more medicinal than anything else. Not much else gets through for me.

T - Some have compared this to the Belgian Red which I don't think is accurate. Whereas, the Belg Red has a balanced taste, this one again tastes like cough syrup to me.

M - Reasonably nice.

D - I simply did not enjoy this one much soI would not want to drink more than a small sampleof this. Something just does not work with this beer.

I really appreciate the opportunity to try this but of all the NG beers that I have had, this one simply did not work for me.

3.48/5  rDev -7.4%

It pours a dark brown color with a reddish tint to it. Light passes through easily enough, but the beer is dark enough that you can't make out images through it. It reminds me of a cola when looking at it in the glass. As it is labeled a stout, I figured it would be a bit thicker and darker in than it was. A light tan head formed and faded rather quickly. There was barely a film on the top by the time I took my first sip. There is minimal lacing on the side of the glass.

The smell is an almost over powering scent of cherries, both sweet and tart. The cherry scent pretty much overpowers the rest of the scents. If you concentrate you can make out dark roasted malt and a hint of oak. The combination gives the hint of a vanilla scent. The scent is almost soft drink sweet. The taste is pretty much like the scent. The near overpowering flavor of both sweet candied cherries as well as the more tart pie cherries almost masks the rest of the flavors. As the beer warms closer to room temperature you can taste some chocolate malts and a hint of the oak barrel it was aged in.

This is a medium bodied beer with a light carbonation.

I really don't know if I can call this beer a stout. Its body is too light and the flavors too sweet. The standard roasted malt flavor that is synonymous with stouts is lost behind the fruit flavor of this beer. It's more of a light porter or a black ale. Really drinking this is like someone made a beer flavored cherry cola. I'll be honest that it is a little bit sweeter than I normally prefer, but it isn't bad. I don't know if I could handle drinking more than one or two of them at a time, but they do go down easy. I don't think it's a good stout, but as a beer in general it's okay.

4.06/5  rDev +8%

Pours an effervescent crimson/caramel with 2+ fingers of sand colored head. Average lacing & head retention

S: Cherry juice by the ton, some tartness & woody notes

T: Cherry juice with some booze warmth & not much else up front, maybe a touch of tartness. Winey characteristics that scream more than the advertised ABV, sweet cherry dominates along with a touch of plum hiding on the back of the tongue. Cherry juice finish with some booze sharpness, plus some oaky notes, verging on vanilla

MF: Slick, warm to burning actually on boozeyness, with some tartness sneaking around the corner, then a general wetness

Pretty drinkable, but has some surprisingly rough edges, for a beer that's allegedly 6.5% ABV. This has some flaws but tastes natural, so I would recommend this, I'm sure this beer will age very nicely

4.52/5  rDev +20.2%

The best in the unplugged series i've had. Thanks to younger35 for sending this to me.

Rich foamy tan head, dark brown with cherry highlights.

big cherry cordial smell.

oak taste, sour cherry, chocolate, just a fantastic blend of all these tastes.

Very sad when I finished this beer. I could drink this all day and all night long while rocking its body to the break of dawn.

3.37/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a chalice.

A: pours a deep reddish-brown with a fluffy white foam that dissipates quickly and leaves very little trace behind- no ring of foam around the edges and only tiny dots of lacing. As it warms the lacing improves.

S: the first thing that popped into my head upon the first whiff was Faygo Rock & Rye soda. I don't know how available that particular drink was outside of Michigan, but if you aren't familiar with it, basically a cherry flavored cream soda.

T: Tastes like a Rock & Rye also, though with less carbonation that a soda (or "pop" as it's generally called in Michigan). I was really expecting the cherry flavor to be more pronounced, but it's not and that's a good thing. That said, this reminds me more of a cherry pop than a beer. As it warms I start to get some chocolate and caramel malt flavors- it actually reminds me of the center of a Tootsie Pop.

M: Fairly light for a stout. Carbonation is moderate. Finish is smooth and fruity, but not cloying.

D: if you're looking for something sweet and you like cherry cola, Unplugged Cherry Stout will be right up your alley. I'm not sure I'd consider this a stout so keep that in mind if you're expecting something along those lines. For me, a brew like this definitely has a place (probably with a fudge brownie or piece of rich chocolate cake), but I don't think I could drink more than one in a session.

3.54/5  rDev -5.9%

Acquired from GBVDave so a big THANK YOU goes out to him!
poured in to a 12 oz pint glass.

A: This beer pours a dark chestnut brown with reddish edges when held to the light. 1/4 inch of off white head. Head recedes quickly leaving minimal spots of lacing.

S: Nose is of artificial cherry notes, definitely marachino cherries, and very faint notes of chocolate.

T: Taste is sweet artificial cherry upfront, blended with mild hints of oak and vanilla. Middle has touches of roastiness. Finish has an almost burnt cherry flavoring with some caramel malts, and a burst of milk chocolate here.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, slick body with a rather dry finish.

D: Goes down easily, not too filling, not much of a kick, artificial cherry flavoring is somewhat overpowering.

3.78/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into my snifter.

A: Pours a dark black with an off white head. Head faded quickly.

S: Very cherry, some chocolate, and some tartness. A strange smell of fruit aroma.

T: Cherries with some tartness. Some chocolate taste at the end.

M: Very thin bodied for a stout. Smooth with almost no carbonation.

D: Good! I wouldn't drink more that 2 at time. This is a good sipper. This is my first fruit beer and my second beer out of the four pack. It taste and smells very strange, but it is so good! After my first one I found my self craving for another. Great beer! I wish I would have picked up two four packs.

2.57/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Received in a recent trade with wedgie9 and cracked open during poker night at Sami's. Poured a moderately dark brown and produced a very light brown, nearly non-existent, head that was basically just a ring around the inside of my glass. Ruby brown highlights are seen when held up to the light. This looks remarkably similar to cola. You could probably tell me that I was looking at a root beer (when held up to the light) and I would believe you. Not surprisingly, there is very little lacing left on the glass.

Damn! The aroma of this thing is in-your-face sweet cherry. Wow. Chocolate cherry with a bit of alcohol - approaches the unpleasant smell of cough syrup. Frankly, I'm having a bit of trouble getting past this part of the nose - perhaps a bit of syrupy soda in there as well. I applaud what NG has got going on in here...but it is a bit too much for me.

Very sweet cherry syrup tasting drink. It really tastes more like a cherry juice drink than it does a stout. Given how thin and light this beer is, I'm having trouble with the category anyway. There is a bit of roasty bitterness on the back end, but that is one of the few parts that resembles stout. About halfway through the beer, I realized how surprisingly similar this is to the Belgian Red; and both are a bit too sweet for my liking. I know that several claim there to be a decent "tart" associated with the cherry stout, but I'm really not getting any of it...just sweet.

I really do enjoy a lot of beers from New Glarus. However, the unplugged Cherry Stout was disappointing. Again, it doesn't help that I'm not partial to sweet beers. Regardless, this one certainly could have been helped by having some tart in there to help balance the malty sweetness (they do a great job of this with their Unplugged Cranbic). I'll surely try it again, and adjust my rankings as appropriate, but for the time being this one is going to remain pretty low for me.

Consumed: 5/19/2010

Thanks goes out to beerwolf77 for this brew.

Pours a nice dark brown color, nice carbonation, nice little one-finger creamy tan head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some nice cherry notes, some chocolate/toffee notes. The taste is sweet, malty, nice touch of cherries, some chocolate/toffee notes, very slight tartness. Medium body, this is a very nice smooth, slightly crisp brew. Drinkable, enjoying this one, alot.

3.56/5  rDev -5.3%

Got this as an extra

Pours a dark brown that let's alot of light through for a stout. Thin head dissapated to a ring. No lacing.

Aroma of malty caramel cherry juice. With a hint of cough syrup.

Tastes similar to how it smells but with a little roast in the background. I can see where they are saying stout but I think a super chocolaty stout mixed with that much cherry would be better. It's good though. Not bad. Still a hint of cough syrup.

Mouthfeel is not as thick as expected. Nice carb but a little on the high side.

Overall I couldn't drink alot of this but it's cool to taste something so different. Not a bad brew.

3.92/5  rDev +4.3%

I got this from fear025. I poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a nonic pint. Big sweet and tart cherry on the nose. The taste follows the nose with a ton of cherry flavor. The finish lingers and is a bit like cherry coke. The beer is medium in body and highly carbonated. This is a good desert beer. BA has this one right, it is much more of a fruit beer than a stout.

4.19/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. No bottled date. Thanks to BeerFMAndy for the bottle!

(A)- Pours a very dark brown color that has some reddish tints. Produced an off-white head that dissipated quickly.

(S)- Mountains upon mountains of dark yet tart cherries. It basically smells just like chocolate covered cherries!

(T)- Pretty much just like the smell. Tart, almost sour cherries covered in cocoa.

(M)- A rather big carbonation level, but it doesnt bother me too much since the tart cherry acidity adds to this making it feel mouth-wise almost like a lambic. Dessert-like.

(D)- New Glarus knows their fruit beers! Like their Belgian Red & Rasp. Tart, this is on point. Not too sweet or sour; the stout profile adds a nice chocolatey aspect to the beer. Well done New Glarus

4.26/5  rDev +13.3%

Tasted from a twelve ounce bottle. Pours a deep but very clear mahogany with a thin but long-lasting beige head. Smells of cherries with a grenadine sweetness, with also a bit of cola and maltiness. Flavors of sweet and sour cherry and honeyed flavors up front with a good amount of chocolate kicking in on the mid-palate and lasting on the finish. The carbonation is somewhat light with very small bubbles, and although tI wouldn't say that this is a heavy beer, it is somewhat oily and coating. Overall, this is a very unique beer, but very drinkable and I enjoy it quite a bit.

3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A: Dark ruby color, half-inch of light brownish head that dissipates fairly rapidly.

S: Light sweet cherry smell, slight chocolate bitterness.

T: Round fruit taste is dominant, with a slight sour/tartness that works well. Bitter chocolate malt finish, with oaky notes present.

M: Very smooth and light for a stout, generous carbonation keeps this silky beer moving.

D: Highly drinkable. Although I would not choose this beer to soothe a stout craving, the balance of cherry and chocolate malt is very well executed. It benefits from not being overly sweet and the elevated carbonation does not detract from the experience.

It was nice to see the Careys bring this one back, the "unplugged" series continues to impress.

4.63/5  rDev +23.1%

This one did not let me down. I am really glad I am going back to WI next week and will buy some more. I'm going to stick one in the back of my beer fridge and forget about it for a year... just to see what happens.

Bottle into a Duvel Tulip.

A = Deep, dark and maroonish color. Cherries and stout.
S = Blast of sweetish tart cherry. I want this as a scratch-n-sniff sticker!
T = Great balance of tart and sweet cherry.
M = Carbonation is a little high, but in a good way for this one.
D = Smooth and would like to drink a bomber of this one. 12 oz is not enough.

3.22/5  rDev -14.4%

12 ounce bottle into a globe while torrential rains fall outside. The tree in our next door neighbor's front yard just bit the dust. The storm's raging and I need something to drink. This bottle was kindly traded to me by a wonderful trader as part of a Dark Lord Day in person swap. Thanks for the beer!!

Smells like Belgian Red with a hint of roast or chocolate underneath, but not very pronounced. Tons of sweet and slightly tart cherry, natural, not fake. This smells really nice. There's a weird funkiness (almost a vinegar tone) to the cherries too, but this smells really honest, natural and not like some other cherry stouts I've had.

Taste starts off rough. To be completely honest, I think it's the definition of medicinal. Ludens beware, New Glarus has stolen your recipe. However, something interesting happens when it warms and opens. The secret chocolate underneath starts to emerge and it makes things much more tolerable. However, this is just not a great beer in my opinion. Glad it's classified as a fruit beer and not a stout. I have to give New Glarus props for their experiment here - while it's not a beer that suits my palate, it is what it claims to be. Sweet sugars and cherry chocolate linger when I smack my lips.

Mouthfeel is lively but not super carbed. Medium bodied to medium light. Crisp.

Drinkability is not so good. I really feel a bit out of my element here, rating this beer, but I think I'm qualified. It's called a stout, drinks like a fruit beer, and has some nice subtleties, but overall I think I don't like cherry stouts because they taste too much like cough drops. Never had this problem with Belgian Red. I give Dan @ New Glarus props for trying something new. Maybe some bugs would make this better, I dunno. Not my thing but a noble experiment. I wish I could like this more. Storms finished, but this beer isn't. Outlooks is cloudy at best.

Thumbprint Cherry Stout from New Glarus Brewing Company