Hometown Blonde | New Glarus Brewing Company

Style: German Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-05-2002

4.5

3.49/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with classy appealing label design and art and iconic branded green/gold pry-off pressure cap acquired in a trade with the very generous Duff27 and served cold into a pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, TX.

Reviewed live as a German pilsner per the label. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. Expectations are sky-high; as far as I'm concerned New Glarus is one of the best breweries out there.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: 3 fingers wide. Off-white in colour. Has the perfect thickness for a pilsner head, and great frothiness. Boasts a smooth, even consistency and a bright complexion. Foamy and soft-looking. Not too thin or airy. Has strength. Retention is quite good - about 9-10 minutes. Leaves no lacing as it recedes.

BODY: Clear clean yellow - in classic pilsner fashion. Translucent and transparent. Average vibrance.

Appears well-carbonated.

I can't say it's much to look at - it is a pilsner after all. But the head is nice for the style and there's nothing wrong with it. This is a tough style to stand out in appearance-wise.

AROMA: A kiss of clove honey. Clean grassy Saaz hops. Has the perfect amount of graininess, which complements the crisp clean pilsner malts nicely. Has a bit of a floral hop presence in addition to the dominant grassiness. Really buried in there is some faint lemon zest. Faint flaked wheat. Fresh cut hay. A wisp of pepper.

One of the more subtle aromas I've encountered in a pilsner. I'm excited to try it, and I do notice a lot more nuance here than in most pilsner aromas. Quite pleasant, clean and fresh, but not unique.

TASTE: Very pleasant and drinkable, with a crisp clean pilsner malt backbone, a dab of buttery character in the late second act, a nice graininess, and a subtle lightly minty herbal, grassy, and lightly floral hop profile. Clean lager yeast is well attenuated, though I do find the beer a biteen too sweet overall. I'm not big on the buttery character either, but the pilsner malt base is lovely. Subtle lemon zest.

It's complex for a pilsner, I guess, but I've had more intricate and better executed pilsners before (e.g. Pilsner Urquell). This does boast unmatched subtlety, and is worth trying for that reason alone. I imagine when I have a much more refined palate, I'll enjoy this more upon revisiting. There's a lot more here than in any old German or Czech pilsner you pull off the shelf in Europe, but the heart of a pilsner is the freshness and crispness of the pilsner malt base, and the triple decoction methods used to produce superior pilsners win out over this in that respect.

Above average depth and duration of flavour. Average flavour intensity. Good flavour amplitude.

As it warms, some perfumey soft white grape notes emerge.

TEXTURE: Crisp, clean, light-bodied, and refreshing. While I'd call it wet, it does have the perfect level of dryness and coarseness to coax out a bit more depth and duration of flavour.

While this texture complements the taste nicely, it doesn't elevate the beer beyond the potential of the flavour profile. Pleasant and enjoyable.

Not hot, gushed, boozy, oily, astringent, harsh, rough, or scratchy.

Could be softer and more delicate.

OVERALL: No, this can't compete with the best pilsners out there, but it's damn drinkable. I'd take this over most American brewed pilsners any day, but it's not up to par with the world-class quality of many of New Glarus' other brews. I'll easily crush this bottle, but I can't say I'd buy this regularly even if I lived in Wisconsin. Well worth trying, and one I'll have to revisit. A good summer brew. I'd definitely pick up a six pack of this on occasion if I lived in its area of distribution, but I wouldn't recommend friends go out of their way to find it.

High B-

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Exceptionally flavorful and well balanced with a medium hop bitterness and Pils malt softness dominating. The finish is off dry. An overall crisp and refreshing beer and a great example of the style.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%