Dancing Man

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Notes: If you dream of wheat this brew will get your toes tapping. Since 1995 we have brewed Bavarian style wheat beers exclusively for the same great state that grows and malts our own Wisconsin wheat. In a world full of posers this is a true hefe-weizen naturally 100% bottle fermented and hazy.

Expect this beer to cascade effervescent into your glass. The rich spicy clove and cinnamon notes will greet your nose while sweet fruit and wheat kisses your lips.

Lick the foam from your mouth and admit sometimes you just gotta get up and dance.
Reviews: 478 | Ratings: 1,415 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by wiseguywood:
wiseguywood from Indiana

Jun 15, 2014
tectactoe from Michigan

4.41/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to maximum12 for this awesome extra - I'm always excited to get more New Glarus stuff, they haven't let me down yet. Dancing Man Wheat pours hazy and translucent; a brilliant shade of golden-amber with an absolutely enormous, pillowing, fluffy white head. Very volatile - even a modest pour yields a cap thicker than the amount of beer in the glass. Little lacing is left behind, but the foam shows great retention.

DMW is an American take on a traditionally German style, so it's no surprise when I bring my nose to the glass and am immediately reminded of beers like Weihenstephaner and Franziskaner Hefe. Fantastically sweet bouts of malt, colliding gracefully with an equal mix of lovely esters; clove, bubblegum, and some other light spices. Lots of delicate sweetness up front, borderline Candi sugar-like, with beautiful overtones of soft fruit; overripe banana, orange zest, and pear.

The more this warms up, the more heavy the wheat and malt gets - backed with waves of soft wheaty aromas, grains, bread, butter, and a bunch of underlying sugary goodness. Fresh yeast aromas linger in the finish, both fruity and a little spicy all at once. Very well done; even from just the aroma, I can tell that this is going to be a tasty hefeweizen... but will it be enough to dethrone some of the original classics?

Much like the aroma, the taste starts off soft and sweet with some light sugar tones up front; malty to the core with a hammering of esters hitting your palate from every which way. A wonderful collage of flavors engorges the senses and sends me into hefe-nirvana; banana, pear, Bavarian yeast, wheat, plum, clove, kitchen spice, stale bread. Sickeningly delicious.

The middle portion shows an extremely mild hop addition, adding a slight musky and leafy flavor. At 7.2% ABV, this is a little more alcoholic than most hefeweizens, but you'd never be able to guess that from just smelling or tasting it. The alcohol is hidden extremely well, allowing for only a small dose of phenol flavor as the beer warms up, but never giving enough to reveal it's true nature as a 7+% ABV brew. Medium bodied, soft on the palate, mildly creamy with lots of carbonation.

Wow, incredible. Fantastic hefeweizen; drinkable like you wouldn't believe, especially at 7.2% ABV. Beautiful mix of aromas and flavors that make for an amazingly enjoyable experience. Definitely one of the best hefeweizens out there, second only to Weihenstephaner - and what a complement that is.

May 03, 2013
woemad from Washington

4.39/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle courtesy of the largesse of @Ri0. No obvious freshness date, though the bottle is stamped “0546 14:11.” My first from New Glarus!

Poured into a big-ass Hofbrauhaus 1.5L weizen glass, this was a hazy, lemony gold color, with a massive white head that took it’s time dropping. Lots of lace.

This don’t smell like no weak-ass American wheat ale, but like the real McCoy, or maybe the real Jodl (watching a WWII doc. Jodl was the first Bavarian that popped into my head). A little spicy, a little bubblegummy, quite clove-y and banana-y.

Tastes just like a Bavarian Hefe. Lightly fruity, a little earthy, with a little bit of a crisp finish, I could drink this all day in a beergarden, or anywhere else for that matter. Although the abv percentage is a little high for the style, it doesn’t seem to impact the taste.

Fairly light bodied, with a soft mouthfeel that is slightly crisp at the end.

Hugely drinkable beer. I wish I knew of a local Hefe as good as this. Thanks, Ri0!

Apr 03, 2016
DaPeculierDane from Wisconsin

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Another stellar wheat beer from New Glarus. Although I prefer Black Wheat and Copper Kettle, this hefe-weizen does not disappoint in the slightest.

Sample Size – Several six packs and a pint on tap at Brasserie V on Monroe St. in Madison.

Appearance: Completely opaque straw gold with a thick creamy white head (when served from the bottle that lasts for the duration) but no head what-so-ever on tap (must have been the pour/sam adam’s glass). Very pretty. I would give it a 5 in the bottle and a 4 on tap so I'll average the two at 4.5.

Aroma: Lemon, orange, hay, wheat, vanilla, banana, bubblegum, clove, and ginger. Complex, rich, and very spicy.

Flavor/MF/D: A mix of lemon meringue and banana crème pies with cinnamon, cloves, and ginger sprinkled on top. Some pepper too. Medium bodied and creamy. Not as heavy or boozy as I would expect at 7.2% but certainly rich and delicious. Extremely drinkable. Just great.

Aug 22, 2007
jcattey from Wisconsin

4.81/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I look forward to this beer every year. The mouthful is incredible. There is so much flavor going on compared to other hefes. Banana dominates with a hint of citrus and clove. One of the absolute best of the style.

Apr 17, 2017
msubulldog25 from Oregon

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

A 12 oz. bottle with a pry-off cap, its labeled illustrated with -surprise- a 'dancing man'. A lederhosen-clad, stein-hoisting man, in fact. Prost

Thanks (I believe) go to mnwags for this one. If I'm wrong, then thanks to whoever the kind soul was who sent this.

A: Into the pint glass goes a pale orange pour, mostly clear until the last yeast-laden ounces are swirled and dumped in. A tornadic-swirl of sediment then a misty haze. Nice 2-fingers of crackly white froth, dropping to a thin and slightly lumpy creamy. Vigorous and steady carbonation streams through the glass. Lace sticks randomly in flecks and patches.

S: Wow! Big aroma of cloves, spices and ripe banana. A hint of lemon zest and plenty of baked bread. Rich and hearty aroma, detectable from a couple feet away.

T: Terrific flavor: bold spices (cloves, cinnamon, a little nutmeg), a mild citrus (lemon butter, orange peel?) and a load of wheaty goodness. So full of spice and zest, at times I'd wince a little. A deep, intoxicating version of the style.

M: Crisp feel, luscious medium body, excellent carbonation that's active without being overbearing. I noted the ABV tops the 7% threshold, so the fuller body and traces of alcohol warmth are expected (and welcomed!). Slight yeasty film.

D: Awesome flavor and aroma, a hefeweizen I'd LOVE to have again. The less-sessionable ABV prevents a perfect score on this, but not by much. Very highly recommended.

Jan 08, 2009

cfh64 from Texas

Sep 01, 2012
MPLS from Minnesota

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Poured into a tulip as I couldn't find the hefe glass anywhere. Good embodiment of the style with it's ultra-murkey orange peel colored body and bright 6 cm head. The retention is good, nice layering of lace. A warm looking beer.

S: The smell is pretty spot of for style: Bananas, orange chewing gum, clove, and yeast. Slightly underwhelming, but like I said true to the style.

T: The best hefe that I have had from NG and probably the best hefeweizen that I have ever had. Up front there is a lot of malt sweetness with bananas and orange zest. The bananas really pop in this weizen, but they lay way to a delicate spicyness that finishes with a bready and mildly warming finish. Very refreshing and absurdly smooth layering of malty sweetness that makes me forget it's 7.2% ABV.

M: The body could have been bigger and slightly less carbonation. The mouf still possesses a pleasant amount of creaminess to it with prickly carbonation.

D: Can tell that I'm general maltcentric, but this really makes me want to try more hefeweizens (good thing I bought more varieties). I find this to be a lovely and sugarcoated beer that is undeniably refreshing. Give me summer and the awesome NG prices and if I have to be monogamous with a hefeweizen this would be the one.

Jan 04, 2010
kojevergas from Louisiana

3.63/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with fun stylized label art and iconic branded gold-and-green pry-off pressure cap acquired in a trade with the very gracious Duff27 (thanks again, buddy!). Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely high given the brewery and this beer's current rating (94). Apparently this is the third highest rated hefeweizen on the site currently (ignoring those with only a few reviews). I'm surprised the ABV is as high as it is given it's a hefeweizen. I can confirm the style but not the ABV per the label. I don't have a weissbierglas here in low altitude Austin, so I'm serving it into Cantillon stemware.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

The head does rise slowly upon removal of the cap, eventually mushrooming out of the bottle.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a two finger wide head of white colour. Nice soft smooth silky complexion. Nice fluffy creaminess and good thickness. Fairly frothy. Head retention is quite good if the beer really is 7.20% - about 6-7+ minutes. Nice even lacing coats the sides of the glass as the head slowly recedes.

Body colour is a quasitransparent translucent yellow-orange of good vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. Plenty of carbonation bubbles suggest adequate carbonation. It appears much more filtered than I anticipated; I thought it'd be a lot hazier - on par with traditional paragons of the style. For a bottle conditioned unfiltered hefeweizen, it's looking mighty clear.

Overall, it looks good and I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Plenty of clove and banana up front as well as the obligatory wheat. Light floral hops are present too, but seem to have minimal presence. Cilantro. Clean barley. The clove is a bit stronger than I'm used to for a hefeweizen. I get cinnamon, but only because I'm looking for it; I wouldn't notice it unprompted. It's also got a healthy presence of clean German yeast with a fair amount of biscuity character. Light citrusy esters throughout, but sadly orange peel can't be found among them. In terms of personal preference, I'll take an orange peel hefeweizen over a banana/clove hefeweizen any day of the week, but it's still an appealing aroma and I'm excited to try it. It's also somewhat dry whilst still inviting the drinker in.

A pleasant aroma of moderate strength.

No alcohol is detectable.

T: It's got a nice wheat body and is cleanly fermented by the Bavarian yeast. High attenuation is evident. Ample clove and banana throughout but especially up front. A dash of cinnamon, I guess, but it's not really that strong or evocative. If I reach I find green apple, clean barley, and some vague fruity esters (e.g. papaya/apricot). A touch of lemon, sure. I like it.

Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour.

No alcohol comes through - quite a feat at 7.20% (if this really is that high).

To be honest, I really hoped for more complexity and subtlety. The hefeweizen is one of the hardest styles to pull off in my opinion; it's just four ingredients and pure finesse, demanding careful balance and excruciatingly difficult subtlety. But this beer from New Glarus doesn't bring enough to the table. It's ultimately a pretty simple hefeweizen and while I like it, it lacks the nuance of the style's paragons. Some orange peel would be lovely. The wheat doesn't seem to be as full-flavoured and deep as it should be. Maybe Wisconsin wheat just can't compete with Bavarian wheat?

Mf: Refreshing and smooth, with a great balance of dryness and wetness - dry enough to coax out the flavours a bit more, but wet enough to remain refreshing and quenching. Well-carbonated; bottle fermentation was a great choice. Good body and presence on the palate. A biteen too thick for a hefeweizen, but I guess that enables them to bury the alcohol presence. It complements the flavour profile well, but doesn't feel custom-tailored specifically to it. Very approachable.

Not oily, hot, gushed, boozy, astringent, or harsh.

Dr: Quite drinkable, especially for the abnormally high ABV. This may be the highest ABV hefeweizen I've had? It hides it quite well; I'd guess it was about 5.5% if I tried it blind. I'm envious of anyone who has ready access to 6-packs of this, and if I was one of them I'd definitely pick it up frequently, but frankly it's just not up to par with the best traditional offerings of the style. As much as I love New Glarus, the Germans do this style best. That said, I already want another and I'd happily get a keg of this for a party. I'd recommend it to friends. Oddly, I actually prefer New Glarus' kristalweizen. This is certainly one to try if you come across it.

Thanks to Duff27 for the opportunity to try this!

B

Oct 01, 2013
maxcoinage from Illinois

4.56/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The last brew from my New Glarus 12 pack sampler! need to make a run up to WI soon.

Poured from 12oz bottled into Weizen glass with a huge 3 inch head that took it's time to settle down. Lot's of noticeable carbonation here! Color is a golden yellow

Aroma is of cloves and banana, and wheat.

The taste is great, and very refreshing. Banana, little citrus/zest to go with the wheat flavor and a bit of spice.

Mouthfeel - very carbonated and a medium body with a nice crisp finish.

Overall this is a great hefe and awesome summer beer. I need to buy this more regularly.

May 15, 2013
LJMaday from Illinois

Jul 06, 2013
Bartleby91 from Wisconsin

4.58/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Probably my favorite beer from New Glarus. Appearance is a hazy orange with some bubbling carbonation. Poured with a billowy white head. Aromas of banana, clove spice and cinnamon. Tastes of banana, wheat, sweet malts and some cinnamon. Has a good mouthfeel with some lingering sweetness. Drinks easily for 7.2%.

Apr 10, 2016
biegaman from Canada

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Banana peel yellow - funny enough the beer should also smell and taste of banana, too. It's a light shaded colour that takes on a deeper, orange tinted tone when held against the light. You can just about write off clarity even though the beer is flushed with phosphorescence brightness. Immediately from the pour its head swelled like a bud opening to bloom, it remains a styrofoam-like bulk.

If you even remotely like the smell of hefeweizens then you'll love the smell of this beer. It is definitely among the most banana-and-clove potent bouquets I think I may have ever stuck my nose into. It also offers a dash of herbs, assorted spices and little sweet orange peel zest. The fragrance itself is perfumy and strong enough to carry across the room. Yup, it looks like its time to get 'yer dancing shoes on!

The flavour is rhythmic, swaying from grainy straw husks, sidestepping to clove, coriander and white pepper, all before cutting loose to the tropical tastes of sweet orange peel, banana and mango. This trio of flavours - wheaty, spicy and fruity - romp and rollick all over the palate, they jump and jive and kick their heels up at the taste buds - no wonder they call this beer the "Dancing Man"!

Each sip has effervescence and substance; it is lightly prickly with a lively and fizzy carbonation but with an extraordinarily creamy texture that passes across the tongue and down the throat without friction. Its taste fully develops over the palate, never parting too soon nor robbing you of even a drop of peppery, fruity flavour. It is exceedingly smooth, the very idea that this is above 7% seems to me laughable.

This brewery now has two weiss beers on my list of all-time favourites (the Unplugged Imperial-Weizen being the other). Of course this comes as no surprise to me at all - this brewery also makes my two favourite fruit beers and a few of the most successful experimental and eccentric endeavors I've tried. Bottom line: this is an outstanding brewery that seems to make nothing but outstanding beers. Thanks MasterSki!

Jun 20, 2009
robwestcott from Indiana

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%

big thanks to BanditBrewingCo for this one.

poured cold from the bottle a cloudy sunlight honey gold to a sun king shaped pint with a huge 2+ finger frothy long lasting white head with serious retention.

spicy aroma of clove, citrus peel and ripe banana.

yeasty, sweet with a subtle tangy bite. banana, butterscotch candy sweet. unexpectedly hot after.

full bodied, highly carbonated, sweet.

drinkable - yes indeed.

Dec 17, 2010
mariposafan from Wisconsin

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

When I first tried it this beer was a revelation to me. I've since tried several other wheat beers but nothing has really come close. They call this Dancing Man, but for me it's really more a composite of dancers.

The appearance is like Ginger Rogers - blond and gorgeous. Duvel would envy the creamy, white head that I get pouring this into their tulip glass. I stop twice to let the head subside some before I can finish the pour. The lasts and last, leaving behind some sticky lacing that doesn't go away until the glass is washed. The beer itself is a hazy amber color.

The smell is reminiscent of Ray Bolger - lively and fun. Bubblegum, bananas, spices and apples compete here, but mostly they combine to form a fruity smell that is completely at odds with what I always though beer 'should' smell like.

The taste has the combination of poise and lightness of Fred Astaire. There's plenty of depth but it doesn't get in the way of enjoying it at a lighter level. Some sweetness is offset by accompanying tartness. Bubblegum, banana, cloves and something I can't quite put my finger on dance around on my tongue and bring a huge smile to my face. I can't detect any alcohol in the taste.

The mouthfeel is crisp but light - a softshoe artist at work. A tiny bit less carbonation would have been nicer, but there's no denying that it feels wonderful just as is.

There are only two other things that I could see that would make this a better beer for me.

First, if it were available year round. Currently it's only available fresh from July through October. I can see desparately wanting one of these come early March when the snow has been on the ground seemingly forever and a taste of summer would do much to lift my spirits.

Second, I wish there were less alcohol here. At more than 7% I'm definitely one and done. If it were closer to 5% I'm sure I could rationalize myself into having more than one of these a night.

I'm going to miss not having this available all winter and plan to be at their door for its release next year.

Oct 14, 2010
HefeRules

Aug 01, 2012
Mikeypnh from New Hampshire

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

Jun 21, 2014
horatio_cornholer from Wisconsin

4.14/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Mar 29, 2016
TheManiacalOne from Rhode Island

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Acquired via trade from brdc, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a weizen glass.

A: The beer is a cloudy light amber color with a thin but dense white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of wheat, banana, lemon and spice along with light malts and a little bit of hops.

T: The taste starts out very bready with a strong wheat flavor dominating as you would expect from the style. There’s not a lot of sweetness but there are flavors of banana, lemon and some spices. The hops presence is mild as it should be. The after-taste is bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, clean finish.

D: Tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, good representation of style, nice strong kick for the style, this is a very good beer to stick with for an evening. I could definitely drink quite a few of these.

Oct 02, 2007