Dancing Man Wheat | New Glarus Brewing Company

Style: Hefeweizen

Availability: Spring

Added by Atron67 on 07-07-2007

Ratings: 1,387 |  Reviews: 472

Aroma: (12/12)
Dancing Man Wheat is a Hefeweizen, the bottle states it is a "true Hefeweizen that is 100% bottle fermented". Just like the Hefe's in Germany I've had, the aroma is spot on with of banana and clove esters.

Appearance: (3/3)
A perfect straw color, hazy from the wheat and the bottling yeast. It poured very effervescently with bubbles racing to the top. A quick swirl brings back the head for a few minutes. Laces well.

Flavor: (19/20)
Oh, wow! The aroma brings me back to Germany with its spot-on aroma; the flavor does exactly the same. Great banana flavors, wheat malt present and there is a little tartness on the finish; perfect!

Mouthfeel: (5/5)
A nice medium body, as most Hefe's. As noted earlier, a little tartness on the back end, like true German Hefeweizens.

Overall Impression: (10/10)
This is by far the best American brewed Hefeweizen that I have ever had, not even close! Summit, Schell's, Flying Dog, Shiner and many others haven't even sniffed the level of perfection that New Glarus has created here! Brings me back to Munich!

TOTAL: 49/50

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

After reading reviews on here I had been looking all over to find a six of this and finally did:

A - Pours a very thick head, one thickest I've seen for a wheat beer.

S - Amazing. Cloves, coriander, bananas and maybe some cinnamon all hit your nose.

T - Smooth. Real wheat favor with good balance of hops.

M - I wouldn't have known this beer has 7.2% abv if I didn't go on NG's website. It is hidden so well and the flavor sticks with you all the way through.

D - On a warm day I could drink this all day.

Best beer I have had from NG.

4.95/5  rDev +15.9%

When I first tried it this beer was a revelation to me. I've since tried several other wheat beers but nothing has really come close. They call this Dancing Man, but for me it's really more a composite of dancers.

The appearance is like Ginger Rogers - blond and gorgeous. Duvel would envy the creamy, white head that I get pouring this into their tulip glass. I stop twice to let the head subside some before I can finish the pour. The lasts and last, leaving behind some sticky lacing that doesn't go away until the glass is washed. The beer itself is a hazy amber color.

The smell is reminiscent of Ray Bolger - lively and fun. Bubblegum, bananas, spices and apples compete here, but mostly they combine to form a fruity smell that is completely at odds with what I always though beer 'should' smell like.

The taste has the combination of poise and lightness of Fred Astaire. There's plenty of depth but it doesn't get in the way of enjoying it at a lighter level. Some sweetness is offset by accompanying tartness. Bubblegum, banana, cloves and something I can't quite put my finger on dance around on my tongue and bring a huge smile to my face. I can't detect any alcohol in the taste.

The mouthfeel is crisp but light - a softshoe artist at work. A tiny bit less carbonation would have been nicer, but there's no denying that it feels wonderful just as is.

There are only two other things that I could see that would make this a better beer for me.

First, if it were available year round. Currently it's only available fresh from July through October. I can see desparately wanting one of these come early March when the snow has been on the ground seemingly forever and a taste of summer would do much to lift my spirits.

Second, I wish there were less alcohol here. At more than 7% I'm definitely one and done. If it were closer to 5% I'm sure I could rationalize myself into having more than one of these a night.

I'm going to miss not having this available all winter and plan to be at their door for its release next year.

4.94/5  rDev +15.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass.
7.2% ABV

A - A massive and dense egg shell-colored head rises up from a timid pour and sticks around infinitely, fueled by insane amounts of carbonation. Hazy deep golden yellow in color, large sporadic clumps of sticky white lacing cling to the glass as the delicious beer empties.

S - Soft earthy clay and bananas trump clove spice and bubblegum in this yeast-ester-rich, aromatic hefeweizen that's backed perfectly by soft wheat and crisp pale malt.

T - A lemony citrus tingle dances on the tongue before the beer's earthy clay and banana yeast notes take over and, as with the aroma, clove spice and bubblegum trail timidly.

M - This smooth and creamy hefeweizen is a soft front to back with a medium-full body and lingering spiciness followed by notes of alcohol though retronasal olfaction.

O - Though robust for the style at just over 7% ABV, New Glarus' Dancing Man Wheat can get down with the best of the German hefeweizens, making it a world-class classic in every sense of the word. Its aromatic explosion and rich flavor are only compounded by the intensely creamy body and smooth finish leaving this beer one of my all-time favorites of the style, without a close challenger.

4.94/5  rDev +15.7%

Perfect creamy smoothness of an ideal wheat beer.

4.93/5  rDev +15.5%

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

I was not expecting anything special from this beer. Based on alot of things I was thinking of this as more of a filler in the beer tasting that was provided for me. While trying many New Glarus brews this one happened to be mine and many others favoritte. The review and description of this beer was quite easy and I would recommend it for all rookies to beer.
The appearance of this beer was a cloudy orange. It looked as if all of the ingredients were trying to seperate as you stared at the glass more and more.
The smell was potent and obvious to the different fruits and clove that were present. I smelled bananas for the majority but you could also smell many different citrus.
Taste was incredible. I loved the flavor of this beer. The banana was extremely pleasing to the palate and i also enjoyed the cloves. Throughout the night people were refering to Dancing Man as "The Banana Beer".
Mouthfeel was pleasant as well. This beer was an amazingly drinkable beer that might be my new favoritte thing to drink as a refresher.

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Review from my massive backlog, from early July 2010. I wish I had a more intricate tick, as I (obviously) think the world of this brew. I will elaborate next time I have the pleasure to crush a few of these.

Purchased at the brewery. Enjoyed at the farm in Monroe, WI.

A - It pours a beautiful hazy honey-gold hue, capped generous off-white foam. It is pretty much exactly what the style is supposed to look like.

S - The nose is replete with the classic notes of the style, and then some. Tropical, melon and kiwi notes mingle with the traditional bread and banana impressions. This stuff smells amazing: It is subtly sweet, complex, fruity, and substantial.

T - Besides the notion that this brew hits every stylistic checkpoint dead-on, my first impression is that of a huge banana muffin flavor. I am also getting some other delicious and delectably fruity notes, including various melon nuances as well as that of wild berries. This is outstanding stuff, without a doubt. The sweetness is just enough to facilitate a wealth of gustatory delights, the complex fruitiness in flavor and aroma is quite uncommon, and the substantive nature of the overall brew is truly satiating.

M - As with the other aspects of this brew, it is as good as it gets. The brew feels rich and velvety and is everything I could ask for.

D - This is not only the best beer of the style I have had, and the best New Glarus beer I have had; it reaches those milestones by a Secretariat-like margin.

4.91/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The best American take on this classic German style I've had. Hits all the right notes. Cloudy pale orange color with a huge, thick white meringue head you could eat with a spoon. Spicy banana-clove smell. Some funky yeast. Taste is warm spices balanced with refreshing fruitiness and a bit of tart-sour yeast. Exuberant carbonation pleases the tongue.

4.89/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. Three fingers of thick, fluffy, slightly off-white head dissipated very slowly. The color is a beautiful and hazy gold.

Smell: Heavenly hefeweizen to a tee. Yeast, banana, apple, strawberry, bubblegum, orange, and lemon citrus. It is tinged with enough clove and pepper spice to tickle the nostrils. And, as New Glarus suggests, there is a little bit of cinnamon, too. It has my mouth watering.

Taste: The body is thick, bready, and oh so good. After the yeast, the palette immediately detects the perfect balance between the clove and pepper spiciness and the Bavarian goodness: banana, apple, strawberry, bubblegum, and some citrus.

Drinkability: After the first sip I needed to take a moment, sit back, and marvel at the beautiful things humans can create — all of which were manifested in the pint glass I was holding. Holy cow. I think I will start dancing.

Dancing Man Wheat from New Glarus Brewing Company