Dancing Man Wheat | New Glarus Brewing Company

Availability: Spring

Added by Atron67 on 07-07-2007

Reviews: 464 | Ratings: 1,357
4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from Bottle into Pint glass.

Pours a cloudy yellow orange with a pillowing 3 inch egg-white head that slowly dissolves into a nice layer atop the glass. Aroma is strong banana and clove with some touches of lemon. The flavor is spicy with banana and clove and some mild hop flavor that comes across as spicy also has some alcohol warmth. Its a medium bodied beer that is crispy but somehow has a certain creaminess to it. Lots of banana and clove deliciousness in this one and I'm loving it. Overall, this is a delicious high octane hefeweizen that you should probably be drinking right now.

4.4/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to Jai my co-worker for this WI brew!

The beer was poured into one of those new Sam Adams super glasses. The appearance was a very hazy dark straw to yellow color, with a large white head.

The aroma was filled with white bread, clove, and cinnamon.

I was pleasantly surprised by the taste of this beer. The first part of the swallow is filled with white bread and clove, followed by subtle but noticeable banana flavor with just a slight touch of lemony citrus. The finish was nicely dry.

The mouthfeel was medium with high carbonation.

This is a very drinkable example of a bavarian wheat beer. I can't believe this has 7% alcohol. I was very impressed.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Appearance: Pours a dark, cloudy orange with a thick three finger head which quickly turns to a thin layer that sticks around through the whole glass.

Smell: Better than average Hefe smell. Good bannannas, bit of pineapple, and some spicy clove aromas.

Taste: Again, better than most Hefe's I've tried. Big taste of sweet bannanas to start, which gives way to a nice wheat and spicy clove taste that finishes the sip. Fruity and spicy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: For the third time, above average for the style. Good foamy thickness that coats the mouth just the right way. Not too thick but just right.

Drinkability: Very good beer, but as with most very good beers, I would only have maybe two in an evening. Definitely a recommended beer, and more so for fans of the Hefe style. Good job New Glarus.

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

A: poured into a wheat glass, brilliant gold color, huge white head that almost got away from me. It took 3 tries to get it poured. Off white head really sticks around.

S: bread aroma up front, a little spiciness in there too, I'm having a hard time coming up with what it is, but definitely an inviting aroma.

T: A decent amount of spicy clove and cinnamon, with some sweet banana flavor, very balanced. A bready taste as well, good malt flavor coming through. Seems like its got a bit of lemon tartness too. Very tasty, and not too sharp around the edges. My main gripe with many wheat beers, is they have too much of a bite, and it detracts from the flavor. Not this one, very balanced, and although only a summer release, I could see drinking this one on a Autumn afternoon as well. This is comparable, although obviously a bit "smaller" than, N.G.'s Imperial Weizen. If you were lucky enough to enjoy that big boy, give the little brother a go as well.

M: Got to give perfect marks for mouthfeel on this one. Perfect amount of carbonation, just enough to bring out the taste. Not too heavy, nor too light.

D: Overall impression of this is very good interpretation on a classic style. I would love to get this all year long, but alas I'm just a dancin' fool.

4.36/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: Poured with a large off white foamy head composed of large bubbles, which dissipated quickly leaving almost no lacing. The beer is slightly hazy with a orange/yellow golden color.

Smell: Strong ripe banana, ripe pear, sweet fruity carmel malt, lightly toasted malt, very small hint of spicy clove or nutmeg.

Taste: sweet banana, pear, apple up front. Then sweet honey, and sweet toasted malt, and tangy wheat. Followed by a spicy clove and light peppery flavor. Ends with a sweet honey and spicy bite.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, a lot of carbonation, spicy tingle/bite, leaves mouth with a slightly sticky but mostly clean feel.

Overall: Very fruity and sweet in the smell. Pretty fruity flavor but also a spicy bite that helps balance it out. Quite a bit of carbonation, which helps give this beer a refreshing feel. The flavors in this hefe are a bit larger than in other hefes, but nothing overwhelming. The bolder character of this beer keeps me interested.

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Love NG and I'm finally getting around to reviewing this

A - Cloudy golden brew with thick white head

S - Banana, clove and cinnamon all the way thru. This is a great smelling hefeweizen.

T - Again huge banana, clove and some lemony zest. I mean this thing is just so fantastic. Great job NG on this hefe, everything you would ask for in a hefe.

M - Rich yet drinkable. The carbonation is perfect.

D - At 7.2% this one is a bit stronger than I would expect from a hefe but still so drinkable on a hot humid crappy night like tonight.

Overall NG hit this one out of the park again. Great work and according to Dan this was made with in the traditional german open fermantation methods. Great work

4.4/5  rDev +3%

12oz bottle to pint glass.

App: Pours a very hazy yellow straw color. Good top covering head, dirty white color. Shows a bit of yellow through the middle.

Smell: Outstanding hefe smell, great notes of bananas, green apples, wheat, yeast, sourdough bread, a touch of clove.

Taste: Primarily bananas and apples, right where the smell leaves off. Has some nice wheat backing, a bit of cereal, and some clove. Has a great refreshing tart finish.

Mouthfeel: Not heavy on the carbonation, has a good rounded edge to it.

Drinkability: 7.5% ABV... you have to be kidding. I could drink this all day.

This is easily the best hefe, and maybe wheat based beer I've ever had. Must get more.

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a light golden cloudy color with effervescent white head of about two finger width. Head is retained lightly atop the beer all the way to the bottom of the glass.

Smell is spot on for a Hefeweizen. Clove, cinnamon, and tangy yeast are all present with a fruity background. Smells fresh and clean for a Hefe.

Taste also fits the bill perfectly. A nice fruity sweet front gives way to a very tangy, spicy finish with a slight hint of alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel is full for a wheat beer with an expansive quality that seems to find every taste bud in my mouth and excite the nerves to dance with flavor. Carbonation is medium-high and feels right for the style.

Drinkability is outstanding. This totally refreshing session beer could be enjoyed by my grandmother!

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

split w/ hu5om (and plan on drinking many more before summer's end).

A: amazing sizzling pour, thick foamy head while a wheat gold in color with excessive champagne-like carbonation.

S: yeasty at the outset, with faint hints of lemon zest.

T: wow. subtle in its all-around flavors of malts, wheat, and spices. very well-rounded taste with no overbearing flavors.

MF/D: a bubbly sizzle initially, simmers for a smooth swallow. fantastic mouthfeel and one of New Glarus' best beers. will certainly consider buying a case before summer's end. thank god i live in wisconsin. this is definitely Weihenstephaner's sugar-daddy... oh yeah, the 7.2% abv is not noticeable so watch out when using as a session beer.... haha.

4.95/5  rDev +15.9%

When I first tried it this beer was a revelation to me. I've since tried several other wheat beers but nothing has really come close. They call this Dancing Man, but for me it's really more a composite of dancers.

The appearance is like Ginger Rogers - blond and gorgeous. Duvel would envy the creamy, white head that I get pouring this into their tulip glass. I stop twice to let the head subside some before I can finish the pour. The lasts and last, leaving behind some sticky lacing that doesn't go away until the glass is washed. The beer itself is a hazy amber color.

The smell is reminiscent of Ray Bolger - lively and fun. Bubblegum, bananas, spices and apples compete here, but mostly they combine to form a fruity smell that is completely at odds with what I always though beer 'should' smell like.

The taste has the combination of poise and lightness of Fred Astaire. There's plenty of depth but it doesn't get in the way of enjoying it at a lighter level. Some sweetness is offset by accompanying tartness. Bubblegum, banana, cloves and something I can't quite put my finger on dance around on my tongue and bring a huge smile to my face. I can't detect any alcohol in the taste.

The mouthfeel is crisp but light - a softshoe artist at work. A tiny bit less carbonation would have been nicer, but there's no denying that it feels wonderful just as is.

There are only two other things that I could see that would make this a better beer for me.

First, if it were available year round. Currently it's only available fresh from July through October. I can see desparately wanting one of these come early March when the snow has been on the ground seemingly forever and a taste of summer would do much to lift my spirits.

Second, I wish there were less alcohol here. At more than 7% I'm definitely one and done. If it were closer to 5% I'm sure I could rationalize myself into having more than one of these a night.

I'm going to miss not having this available all winter and plan to be at their door for its release next year.

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A Poured a beautiful murky deep gold with a very large 2 finger head. Bubbles streaming from the bottom of the glass.

S I'm getting bananas, spices, wheat

T Sweet fruit, spices and wheat are all very well balanced.

M Tons of carbonation. Taste of fruit is left on your tongue. Very nice.

O Very surprised with this beer as I was not expecting much. Enjoyed it very much. To bad it was an extra in a trade and I don't have anymore, but if it were in my area I would def keep it stocked in my fridge.

4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

After reading reviews on here I had been looking all over to find a six of this and finally did:

A - Pours a very thick head, one thickest I've seen for a wheat beer.

S - Amazing. Cloves, coriander, bananas and maybe some cinnamon all hit your nose.

T - Smooth. Real wheat favor with good balance of hops.

M - I wouldn't have known this beer has 7.2% abv if I didn't go on NG's website. It is hidden so well and the flavor sticks with you all the way through.

D - On a warm day I could drink this all day.

Best beer I have had from NG.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Thanks to a great BA for the hook-up! Poured in to a pint glass. Pale yellow/orange, nice medium head. The taste is great here, we all know the banana, bubble gum and cloves but I get some orange zest which fades into a slight alchohl burn at the end (which belies the 7.2%). This is a very good beer to drink and since I just got into the style I really lucked in to a nice acquisition!

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

A large, pillowy head of frothy foam stands three fingers tall over a rich golden body (ever so slightly murky). Aromas of lemon zest and tangerine peel fill and tantalize the nose, a foundation of bread dough lies underneath, accented with a little banana and clove. Crisp citrusy flavors lead the way followed by sourdough bread and chased with a little bit of spice and more citrus. Lots of robust taste, yet high carbonation helps leave a notable clean finish. This is a beer of much substance, nearly a chewy mouthfeel. Yet though it clocks in at over 7% ABV, "Dancing Man" is nicely drinkable. New Glarus adds another legend to its line-up, a memorable and cravable Hefe.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

poured from 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: slightly hazy, pale gold in color. intial large white head that dissipates rapidly, leaving very little lacing behind.

S: very pronounced banana aroma, with a background of yeasty spiciness and wheat.

T: big banana flavor. beneath the banana is some spiciness and a lemony flavor. very flavorful, the bananas stay on your palate like a very hoppy beer.

MF: medium-light body and moderately high carbonation.

Drinkability: very good.

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy straw with no head.

Smell is great hefeweizen aroma with a light wheat and sweet banana, bubblegum and clove.

Taste is like the nose. Great German Hefeweizen flavor with more banana and bubble gum with the right amount of sweetness.

Mouthfeel is a fine tingle of carbonation and nice body.

Overall a great German style wheat beer. No surprise from NG!

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from a bottle into a hefe glass. Good banana scent as soon as I opened the bottle.

A: Two fingers of golden head, collapsing fairly quickly to one lingering finger, leaving only slight lacing on the sides. Hazy, and just a tad dark. Actively effervescent. The fine bubbles form a creamy, stable head, expected with all that wheat-y, yeasty protein.

S: Banana, wheat, and yeast. I get a touch of clove, but very little of the cinnamon the bottle describes. Perhaps a bit of tart noble hops?

T: Solid. Wheat in good proportion, good but not overwhelming banana, and a hint of the clove, just like the nose. Mild, lingering bitterness. On the high end of boozy for the style, but otherwise almost frighteningly true to form.

M: Good chew from the wheat, and spot-on effervescence. Refreshing, but for a bit too much alcoholic heat.

D: Pretty high. This is New Glarus, after all. I would ding this beer for its alcohol content, but it is one of the better examples of the style if you're going for authenticity. A well-executed beer, if you're in the right mood, this will please almost as well as any true Bavarian. I wouldn't call it sessionable--but certainly very drinkable.

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Poured a big, thick head on a cloudy amber body. Perfect. Smell of cloves, banana and spice, all of which came through very well in the taste. Add in just the right amount of fruitness. Perfect and perfect. I typically like a lemon in my wheats, but this was so good it didn't need it. Carbonation and "thickness" were, what else, perfect. I'd been waiting months to get my hands on this, and the wait was worth it. Everything about this brew is perfection. Everything is absolutely spot on for the style, extraordinary how good this was. Not only the best american version of a hefeweizen, but this ranks right up among the world's best. Perfection.

EDIT- Been loving this for years (!) now, and still the best in the world. At the end of each summer, I load up (several cases) and enjoy throughout the winter, as it holds extremely well (aside from a rise in carbo and alc %). I typically enjoy my last bottle well into the following summer.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

A recent goodie from my main trading man maximum12. Props must also go out though to wisconsinbeer1 who has supplied me with many a jewel from New Glarus as well. These 2 are about the best that you could ever find for midwest trading partners.

A - Poured from a fresh bottle into my waiting Franz glass. A cloudy yellow that is punched by a white mushroom of a head. Beautiful, simply beautiful.

S - Similar to what everyone else has said in that you get a luscious smell of clove, banana, and yeasty goodness. You can tell simply from the smell that you are going to be in for a treat.

T - Does not have the hop profile that Crack'd Wheat has and I enjoy both beers to tell you the truth. For my money though, this is the winner. Great wheat taste with a lovely banana and clove undertone.

M- Just about the perfect summer beverage.

D - OUTSTANDING. For a summer beverage, this is perfect. The perfect beer for relaxing outside with friends. Should be required for anyone sitting outside on the deck just killing time.

Certainly, one of the best wheat beers that I have ever had. You can't beat it. Which one of you (maximum12 or wisconsinbeer1) is sending me my next fix. Please do it fast.

Poured a golden straw yellow with a two finger head that's quite impressive. Lacing to boot.

Very aromatic banana and clove fragrances.

Spritzy banana balanced with mild spices such as clove and pepper. Coriander is interwoven throughout and kind of ties everything together.

Very smooth mouthfeel, low carbonation with a tingle of spice on the palate.

Overall has great sessionability if you can get past the 7.2% abv. Very easy drinking and will look forward to having again sometime.

4.14/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this in a Wisky box. Been on my top 25 wants for awhile. Poured into my FFF Teku glass.

A - Hazy golden huge with far too much carbonation. I'm not gonna hold that against the beer as I gave it a good hard pour.

S - A good amount of banana and slight bubblegum. The bubblegum comes out the warmer the beer gets. Clove is in there on the back end of the smell.

T - Extremely nice. A ton of banana and bubblegum in the flavor, but with a good amount of mint in the middle of the taste. No alcohol on the back end despite its elevated ABV.

M - A really nice bubbly effervecense that coats the entire tongue. Not nearly as heavy as the ABV, drinks like a 5% hefe.

O - After the pour and smell, I really had my doubts. But this is a really, really good Hefe. It's not Weihenstephan, but what actually is? Really wish this was available consistently to me. It really is crazy how the smell gets worse and worse (not bad, just keeps getting worse off), while the taste is just fantastic. So weird.

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Probably my favorite beer from New Glarus. Appearance is a hazy orange with some bubbling carbonation. Poured with a billowy white head. Aromas of banana, clove spice and cinnamon. Tastes of banana, wheat, sweet malts and some cinnamon. Has a good mouthfeel with some lingering sweetness. Drinks easily for 7.2%.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

poured from a bottle into a stella chalice

a-poured straight down the glass and so much huge thick foam I could only fit about 3/4 of the bottle. tight bubbles let the head sit thickly on top of the beer for several minutes before i could finish pouring the bottle. color is a hazy straw yellow/orange - right on for the style

s- huge clove and banana immediately on the nose. bubblegum is there as well with a little yeast spice. quite a strong nose for a hefeweissen and i really like it.

t- follows the nose pretty well. banana and clove as well as some yeast and wheat. finishes with a little bit of citrus, then more banana/bubble gum flavor. very nice complexity

m- fairly high carbonation, but typical for the style. actually has a bit of creaminess. just slightly heavy and thick for the style, but i like that about it. ABV is not noticable at all and I find it highly drinkable

this is one of the best hefeweissens I have had in a very long time. i would love to try this next to their newer laughing fox kristalweisse. In typical fashion, New Glarus takes a german style, brings it to the states and knocks it out of the park. A really, really good beer.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

very nice. pours like a heffe. golden straw. hazy. big fluffy white head.

lots of classic bannana & clove. perfectly mixed.

wheat, yeast good.

effervescent. excellent.

not sure if this is really 7.2%. tastes and feels like a normal hefeweizen. .

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Dancing Man Wheat opens up with a three finger soft pillow head on the pour. The beer is a nice golden color with a lot of haze inside. As it is consumed there is some lacing present. A very nice looking wheat beer.

The aroma is ripe with clove and toasted banana throughout. There is a bread-like quality here that is classic among the best German varieties as well. The citrus did not seem to be as strong as it is in other Hefes but it was noticeable.

Dancing Man has a bold and exciting flavor. As with the aroma, the clove and toasted banana elements are strong but not overpowering. With them comes a mild sweetness that brings out some complexity. The finish is slightly bitter and adds good balance to the experience. In my opinion, this beer toys with some of the elements of a good Dunkel while clearly remaining a Hefe in character.

Wheats are meant to be heartily imbibed, and this one does not break that mold. The body is maybe a little heavier than most but still easy on the stomach. I thought the air was very well balanced -- not strong at all in my opinion. High ABV lends toward more thorough appreciation of everything this beer has to offer.

This is one of the few American beers to be a very good take on the classic German Hefe. Unfortunate to most drinkers, the Wisconsin-only distribution adds a bit of mystique around this brew. If you can get your hands on this, however, it's worth the wait.

(From tasting notes dated 10 Jul 2009)

Dancing Man Wheat from New Glarus Brewing Company