Thumbprint Imperial Weizen | New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
newglarusbrewing.com

Style: Weizenbock

Do not waste time attempting to box this brew into some esoteric guide to styles. This is Dan's bold creation. His passion for unfiltered Weiss collides with Cascade Hops inventing our Imperial Hefe-Weizen. Dry hopping boldly rules over Wisconsin red wheat and our special strain of Bavarian yeast. At almost 20 O.P. this is the super mac daddy of Weiss beers. Decoction mashing was followed by excessive dry hopping to create a fierce onslaught of clove, cinnamon and citrus all in this living beer. Don't bother waiting to enjoy - the time is now.

Added by EliteDigger on 02-11-2008

Serving type- Bottle poured into a hefeweizen Schneider weisse glass.

A- Pours a murky golden yellow. Thumbnail size white head that settles to a good head retention that lasts till the finish. Lite bubble activity coming from the bottom of the glass that stays constant till the finish.

S- Fruit flavors are strong presence. I think I smell a hint of some type of berry but I can't put my finger on it. The beer also smells of clover and banana.

T- Fruity taste present with a hoppy aftertaste presence.

I recieved this beer from a trade and I am happy I asked for it. This is a good tasting hefe that has a strong flavor but easy to drink. I can see why this was a once brewed release that is very popular.

Thanks to burnheartsMKE for sending me this one!

Pours a murky honey orange color with a 2 inch off-white head that fades to a small cap. Chunky spots and rings of lacing coat the glass on the drink down. Smell is of sour apples, cloves, cinnamon, and some bubblegum. Taste is of wheat, banana, bubblegum, the spices (clove and cinnamon), with a slight citrus twang on the finish. Good carbonation on this one makes for a crisp and clean feel. Overall, this is a good American made hefeweizen with all the classic smells and tastes.

I picked up several interesting beers on a spring trip to Wisconsin.
Poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer pours a hazy gold with a nice persistant head. Some lacing was noticed. The aroma was full of esters, spice and banana.
The taste was full of banana, clove, and a nice malt flavor. The mouthfeel was full of refreshing foam and tang. Some alcohol was noticed and a bit of dryness.
I very enjoyable beer that I would like to drink again.

Picked this up just across the border in Wisconsin, & excited to see it. New Glarus makes the best hefe in the country (Dancing Man) so I'm excited to try another one, albeit it bulked up like Ahnold.

Pours hefe, murky, cloud, sunburst orange. Nose hews closely to the formula: clove, banana, twist of orange, & a shocking slap of lemon concentrate. Just from sticking my schnazz in the foam, I can tell this is no girly-man hefe.

Imperial Weizen flexes & breaks the hearts of lesser, watery, teary-eyed hefes. Nose = taste in this equation. Strong orange & banana dominate. Citrus creeps in underneath quietly. Clove. Wheat is fleeting, chased away by the bevy of stronger flavors. Blowback of faint light fruits off in the distance finish this one off. Amazingly easy to drink for a big beer, the alcohol is hiding well. Dangerous.

Doesn't reach the heights of its cousin Dancing Man, but this is a tasty, tasty hefe. Very good beer, & one more reason to pop open a New Glarus. Keep 'em coming.

A: Hazy orange color. Lots and lots of very foamy white head that took an inordinately long amount of time to die down - but I suppose that's a good thing for this style. No visible sediment.

S: Grapefruit, resiny herbal hop scents, green peppercorn, and wheat. Some Belgian yeast / slight funky scents throughout as well.

T: Yeast, grapefruit, barnyard funk, vines and leaves. This thing is all over the place - I can't figure out if it's a mess or if it's brilliant. I'm leaning towards brilliant. Some more residual herbal resiny flavors followed by orange and grape sweetness.

M: Very thick, very viscous, and quite dense. Possibly the heaviest wheat beer I've ever encountered. Ample carbonation.

O: This is a nice beer. It was special. Isn't that special? Seriously, though, I enjoyed it start to finish and recommend it for those who want to expand beyond a classic Hefeweizen.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a gorgeous orangey peach color with a decadent, white, billowy head.

S- Most weizens seem to be light on the nose ... this one sure isnt! Very floral, piney hops, cloves, bits of banana, smells almost spicey.

T- Taste is much milder than the nose lets on. The clove and banana come out quite a bit and the perfumey floral scent is suppressed in the taste which I like. Definitely bitter on the back end but the hops dont seem to play a huge part in the flavor.

M- Perhaps a bit too thick and not quite crisp enough.

D- This is definitely an Imperial Hefeweizen. This beer started out perfect for me and started to drop off towards the end. The thick mouthfeel and lingering bitterness turn me off to this one a bit but I still enjoyed it very much.

Thumbprint Imperial Weizen from New Glarus Brewing Company