Thumbprint Berliner Weiss

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Notes: Napoleon hailed this tart beer style "the Champagne of the North." A lively and elegant masterpiece this Berliner Weiss is a kaleidoscope of fresh flavor.
Reviews: 405 | Ratings: 1,480 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by FBarber:
4.25/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a bright gold color with a thin white head that dissipates quickly. Very effervescent with bubbles coursing upwards throughout the consumption of the beer.

Smell is mostly lemon and wheat with some mild funk - not very tart on the nose.

Taste follows the nose - lots of lemon, lemon zest, mild funk, slight acidity, and some wheat on the back end. The wheat is tinged with lemon through the finish. Bit more sweetness in this than some of the other Berliners I've had, but not overly sweet by any stretch.

Feel is light, sprightly and smooth. Semi-dry finish. Medium carbonation. Not very puckering, just a bit tart.

Overall a nice classic Berliner. Very tasty and certainly a more accessible one.

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle courtesy of the largesse of @Ri0. Different label than the one featured here, and no mention of "Thumbprint." No freshness date on the bottle, or much info in general. Going by what’s posted on BA, this may have the lowest alcohol of any beer I’ve ever had.

Poured into a St. Bernardus glass, this was a hazy, lemony gold color, with a very long lasting, pillowy, bone-white head that left lots of lace on the sides of the glass. Gorgeous beer!

Tart, earthy, and with a sharp lemony scent, this hits the style buttons in the aroma department.

While much like what was promised to the nose, it’s not quite as sour as I was expecting, but more “soft.” The tart sourness is certainly present, but it's restrained enough to allow the earthy wheat notes to be appreciated. Finished on a lemony dry note.

Light, dry, body, with a mouthfeel a bit like a sprightly, thin lemonade.

This would be a great summer thirst quencher. While it delivers the sour, tart flavors one can expect from the style, it remains approachable to someone who might not be expecting such things. I wish there were more beers of this style brewed locally. The closest I can come is Huckleberry Pucker. While that’s a great beer, with the whole huckleberry thing it’s a completely different animal than this. Thanks, Ri0!

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%

Man, Dan (the man) can brew. I was so pumped when I heard he was making a Berliner Weiss. I mean, every German-style beer this guy touches turns to magic. I was saddened to hear that this was going to be a strange beer/wine hybrid. Especially since it was white wine grapes, and I don't much care for those.

But despite his best efforts to mess this one up, the beer is still pretty damned good. Not sour enough, but that is OK.

The nose is a pleasant mix of beer and wine. A light wheat character mixed with something that smells an awful lot like Riesling (but I don't know whites that well, so take that with a grain of salt).

The beer itself is nice and dry. The beer has a variety of stages on your tongue. Initially, it tastes like a BW should, there is a nice blast of light wheat, which is followed by a nice champagne-like taste, then a nice sour punch, which gives way to a Riesling aftertaste. So the beer really changes depending on how you are drinking it. When I don't pay attention to the beer, how it tastes can change dramatically. One sip tastes like a not-very-tart Berliner Weiss. The next sip, I swear I am drinking a white wine that I, for reasons I do not understand, actually like. Still othertimes it will start out tasting like either beer or wine and end tasting like the other. A pleasant roller-coaster of flavor.

This is my last bottle of the two four-packs I bought and I've gotta say, this is a nice beer. At the end of the day, would I have preferred that he was a little more traditional with the style? Yes, yes I would. But the twist he put on it is really pretty amazing and eye-opening. For example, I can now appreciate Riesling wine (a favorite of my g/f) much more. And that is a large part of what beer advocacy is about: exposing people to new and exciting flavors.

Good stuff.

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

Thanks to levifunk for this. I don't have a lot of experience with this style so keep that in mind.

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a slightly hazy/cloudy yellow. The beer had a fluffy, bright white head that quickly dissipated and left just the barest trace of lacing. According to the style guidelines here, the beer should be clear, but the head behaved properly.

There was a tart scent at the front of the nose with the wheat coming in behind it. That sharp tartness is magnified on the tongue, with a bit of lacto-funk on the back of the tongue.

The body was good, light and crisp, and was perfect for my after dog-walk beer on a warm spring day. Drinkability was very good, I'd have 2-3 of these in a row. Too bad this beer isn't being brewed any more, I'd like more. I'll seek out other examples of the style, I suggest you do the same.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Purchased at Steves Liquor in Madison.

A: poured yellow two fingers of head that were gone after a few sips

S: Slight smell of lemon nothing to overpowering

T:first sip was reminded me of a Lemonhead and made me pucker. I was caught off guard this was the most lemon I have ever tasted in a beer. Midway through the lemon was still overpowering.

M: lots of carbination and the lemon taste sticks around.

D:I could probably only handle one or two but I really enjoyed it. This was a pleasant surpise.
New Glarus can really work wonders with fruit.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: pours a light golden straw color, with a massive 2 inch frothy white head. Very active carbonation from the bottom of glass.

S: A light funky aroma. Lemon peel, and a little wheat scent.

T: Very sharp and lightly tart. Acidic and lemony, but lightly funky. A slight white wine quality to it. This beer begs for a hot summer day.

M: Sharp, light, and dry. Bubbly but creamy at the same time. Very refreshing.

O: This is a perfect hot summer day beer. Light, crisp, tart, and refreshing.

3.96/5  rDev -5.3%

3.68/5  rDev -12%

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.23/5  rDev -22.7%

A - Pours a pale golden hue, slightly hazy, with a big head that subsides to a persistent encircling ring of foam clinging onto the edge of the glass.

S - I hate to be simplistic about this, but it smells like a New Glarus fruit beer. It is tart, it has discernible wheat, and it only varies from the others in that it smells like white grapes rather than cherries or raspberries. I would have not a gripe in the world about that, if this wasn't being called a Berliner Weiss. Come to think of it, I loved Unplugged Cherry Stout and that wasn't a Stout at all, so I rescind my complaint.

T - My initial impression is that it tastes good, but it is a fruit beer, not a Berliner at all. It is quite a bit like all the other NG fruit beers, except it uses white grapes and is lighter in body than usual. As the glass drains, the flavor and aroma are decent, but not particularly good.

M - The feel is a bit too cidery, but lively nonetheless.

D - This is not one of the better NGs. I'd probably rather drink Totally Naked.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

4.31/5  rDev +3.1%

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks to joe1510. This is the first time I have tried this style so I don't know what to expect even checked the style guide for this one
Bottle poured into a pint glass produced a big white fluffy head that turned to a layer of white lace. The body of the ale is clear and pale gold in color

Smells like green apples as the aromas hit my nose

This brew has a big sour apple flavor, green grapes with a little citrus to it. Nice and light in the mouth and crisp on the tongue.

Wow this is the first sessionable sour I have come across very easy to drink and quite refreshing.

After thought
It would have been more fun to drink this from a stemmed glass

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

3.51/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to nvrthswayagain (Reddit) for this one, 2014 vintage.

Erupts immediately on popping the cap, all over, I was able to catch much of it. Pours with a huge fizzy bubble fluffy like head that almost goes over the top of the glass, 4+ fingers, and fades semi quickly with whispy lacing all over, hazy golden lemony color.

Nose brings tons of bready yeast, doughy grain, yeasty funk, mild meaty dough straw malts, some lemony funk, little acidic note, zest, cereal grains.

Taste brings nice sourness, lemony funk, tart acidic notes, quite sour even for Beliner, mild doughy cracker straw malts, yeasty bready funk flavor, lemon grass, lemony tartness, little sour apple and sour malt, weird sour bread too, eh, and carbonation is in the way. Finish is dry and tart, lingering doughy yeast funk, mild tart lemon and sour bread, meh.

Mouth is light bod, way too much carbonation, little acidic flemmy note.

Overall guess I sat on this a bit too long, but still OK. Not too enjoyable though with too many things getting in the way.

Thumbprint Berliner Weiss from New Glarus Brewing Company