Thumbprint Berliner Weiss | New Glarus Brewing Company

Ratings: 1,445 |  Reviews: 395

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

4.14/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle with no discernible date. Thanks to Duffman929 for sending this!

A: Pours a light golden color with medium clarity. A half finger of fluffy, bubbly white head dissipates to a thin spotty film and a ring with lacing. Pouring, this looks not unlike a lightly carbonated champagne.

S: Clean, wheaty, and lightly tart smell. A little earthiness and a malt sweetness are evident in the nose. Notes of fruits like grape sweeten the nose.

T/M: A light, crisp tartness hits straight away with plentiful carbonation and a light mouthfeel. This drinks like a champagne almost more than a beer, but the malt character still remains. Flavors of sweetness from grapes and malts play nicely with a little tartness to make this really enjoyable.

O: I didn't come into this beer with any expectations, and I was pleased for my first experience with New Glarus. This beer is really quite good, and is also quite different from anything I've had before. To be fair, this is an entirely new style to me, so I cannot comment on this beer against others in a fair way, but this has been a really nice treat. I'd drink this again (and since Duffman929 kindly sent two bottles, I'm pretty sure I will drink it again).

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle. Thanks dogphishead!

A - Pale yellow with good clarity and a fluffy yet sturdy white head. A nice rise of bubbles and great lacing.

S - Fruity with grapes and a hint of bubblegum.

T - Starts quite tart but fades gradually. Dry and crisp with some white grape juice and a hint of sweetness.

M - Thin with a firm carbonation.

O - An interesting, delicate beer with no rough edges. Perfect for a warm NC evening.

3.25/5  rDev -21.5%

4.27/5  rDev +3.1%

Received as on of several generous extras from tinypyramids, whom I now owe bigtime. Poured into a Spiegelau tulip.

Straw yellow color with a thin pure-white head of 2 fingers which dissipates rather quickly, not much lacing to speak of.

Smells very lemony, tart green apple, bright and fresh. Not unlike a freshly cleaned kitchen.

Taste is very bright. The tartness is there, puckeringly so, which I love. Green apples, lemon, white grapes.

Feels a touch thin on the front end, but is very light at crisp which is nice. Carbonation is champagne-level high but it works. Light-bodied.

Overall this is the ultimate in beer-refreshment. Love it for what it is, and enjoying it now, not sure it would have the same effect on a 5 degree Chicago winter day though. Try this this summer if you can!

4.43/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A Straw colored with a very light murk. Healthy 1 finger head that slowly dissipated with a nice ring hugging the edges of the glass. Bubbles are streaming from the bottom of my glass. This is my first Berliner Weiss and I was surprised by how light in color it is.

S First thing I smell is the tartness. Then I get some wheat and lemon and a hint of green apple.

T First thing that hits is that tartness that hits you with a little intensity, but then it mellows out nicely as it coats your tongue. Getting that green fruit/apple along with lemon and a nice wheat taste. Towards the end the tart is just kinda kicking back which reminds you that you want another sip.

M Medium to light with lots of carbonation. Extremely refreshing.

O Again, first time with this style and I have to admit that I loved it. I received this as an extra and I'm not sure of the availability. But I will definitely be looking for more of this style and hopefully can land some more from New Glarus. Cheers!

Thumbprint Berliner Weiss from New Glarus Brewing Company