Alt | New Glarus Brewing Company

Style: Altbier

Added by Bitterbill on 11-09-2008

Reviews: 124 | Ratings: 157
4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Whoa...lots of carb; as in a glass full. This slowly settles down leaving sticky foam forming a rocky head. Boozy aroma mixed with the tingle of ethanol in the nostrils. This character fades after a bit and a complicated spiciness emerges mixed in with oak. Incredibly smooth caramel flavor and toffee flavor, but the sugary sweetness is kept in check by the hops. Juicy up front with a dry finish that has a tawny fade to it. Viscous, yet dry enough in the end. A tartness nips at the sides of my tongues as this warms up. A hot flash of alcohol burns a bit in the throat, but the warming sensation is welcomed this time of year. I can't seem to find out how strong this beer is, but I'd guess around eight percent alcohol by volume. If I'm correct, this drinks a lot easier than it should - Dopplesticke, anyone? Like others, I would like to see how this ages.

3.72/5  rDev -7.9%

A very nice altbier. I say "nice" because it's not outstanding, but it is still a very good beer worth revisiting. Pours well; clear and with a nice head. Smells good, with sweetness tickling the nose.

Taste has a hint of fruitiness. Not quite an identifiable fruit, but sweet and pleasant all the same. Decent mouthfeel, as this swirls around my mouth the fruit is more prominent.

A nice and drinkable beer, a good representation of the style. I'd drink more. I dug it, really a nice beer, can't wait to try the other New Glarus treats in my fridge. Thanks natasharai!

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

A very true to the style Alt. Appearance is great, big head that dissapates fairly quickly. Nice webbed lacing.
Smell is a bit weak but pleasant. Lots of dry malt up front with a bit of caramel. A slight metallic smell is my only complaint.
More of the same in the taste- the malt is very nice. A touch of fruit on the back end but still nice and dry.
Mouthfeel is good, medium in body and lots of carbonation.
Drinkability is fantastic- this is the German's APA-

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

A- Pours a massive off-tan colored head, at least 3 finger in height. The body is semi hazy and bronze/amber in color.

S- Big caramel notes, a touch of buttery oak, a nice sweet fruitiness in also present. Fruitcake comes to mind.

T- Starts out with a dark fruit, some belgian candy, a bit of medicinal notes and some pepper. There is also a nice dry buttery oakiness. The finish which has bits of dark fruit and a semi-astringent graphite note. Overall very belgian-esque. Quite nice.

M- Very big mouthfeel and low-med carbonation.

D- This is a nice beer. I don't know if I'd call it an alt per se. It tasted very Belgian to me. Either way, not a bad sipper as I think it's 10% ABV.

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%

I am editing this post with an update: On 1/12/10 I had a pint of this at the Glarner Stube in New Glarus...the gods of good beer smiled upon me that day!

I recently visited new glarus and took the self guided tour. It was a very interesting tour, but the sampling (that you could purchase at the end of the tour for 3.50/ 3 3oz samples with a commerative glass) was a little dissappointing because there were only three beers to sample and around 10 available for purchase. I digress....

I am an extreme amatuer when it comes to reviews and I will say the alt beer was sweet, a bit hoppy and a strong 9.5% abv.

4.57/5  rDev +13.1%

appearance is dark copper with off white head, quick to dissipate. aroma is as if the fruit wants to escape but is holding back, true to form. notes of buckwheat and corriander come through. flavor is mildly grainy with some very nice warming alcohol coming through, accented by some gently cloying spice. bitterness is reserved, no hop aroma or flavor detected. delectable and medium full body. faint carbonation but large bubbles. yum!

3.72/5  rDev -7.9%

Medium copper color. Two finger head that disapears quickly. The smell is prickly, ripe green apple notes in the aroma.

The body is medium, malty with a tangy prickly finish. Honesly, the flavor reminds me of a Michelob, but a damn good Mechelob.

Drinkability is solid... I'd pair this with Roasted chicken, Gumbo, chili or anything spicy.

3.91/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a clear deep copper amber with a tight bubbled frothy white head and light lacing. The aroma is medium sweet with toasted munich malts and light noble hoppiness. Flavor is nicely sweet and is very well-balanced with the bittering hop addtions used. Nice noble hop flavor as well. Medium bodied, very crisp and clean texture. Finishes lightly sweet and again fairly crisp. Another great beer from New Glarus.

4.39/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured with a 1cm bubbly off white head that dissipated after 3 minutes leaving the tiniest layer of bubbles on the top. No lacing is left on the glass. The beer is translucent and a nice orangish brown color.

Smell: Very sweet and fruity with some spice aromas, then some malts and a little alcohol.

Taste: Very sweet fruit up front similar to white grapes peaches and bananas, the malt characteristic is prevalent throughout, then the alcohol is detectable in the end along with some spices like nutmeg and cloves, I think, giving a slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slightly syrupy, carbonation bubble on the tongue all followed by a small alcohol bite on the tongue and in the throat.

Overall: This beer is pretty drinkable, a lot going on with the spiciness and fruit flavors/odors. The alcohol is noticeable throughout but not overwhelming. I only have one bottle of this stuff, so I may have to try to find some more, it is a nice change of pace compared to the hop bombs and heavy stouts/porters as of lately.

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a luxurious red, with a nice 1" head with some staying power.

Smell is some fusel alcohol, and a nice fruitness going on.

Taste is of dark fruit, plum. Fades into a complex sweet malt profile...

Mouthfeel is light to medium, with a pleasant carbonation.

Drinkability--Not sure about the ABV on this (The NG site and BA don't list it) but it sure goes down easy...

3.76/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle

A: Pleasing deep orange red color. Head quick to subside. Carbonation looks nice with the constant stream of bubbles.

S: The smell is sweet and complex, but I occasionally caught a detergent like smell that must be from the higher alcohols. I think its something from the oak. I can just detect the oakiness, which is at a good level.

T: The taste is sweet and caramelly, with just a hint of the oak coming through. Taste is lingering.

M: The mouthfeel to me is med to high with good carbonation and last bitterness that is nice.

D: Average drinkability. This is a special occasion beer.

I enjoyed this beer, and it might get better with age. But I'm not sure if they still make this one.

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a clear deep orangish amber with a bubbly beige head that recedes to a collar fairly quickly.

The aroma is full of sweet caramel malts and lots of lighter fruits, apples especially. More sweet than anything else, but in a good way.

The taste is more complex with an initial apple fruitiness that gives way to caramel but with a more sizable bready backbone than the aroma suggested. There is some nutty presence as well.

The mouthfeel is very smooth, light to medium bodied, and full of carbonation.

I've not had many altbiers but this one sets the bar pretty damn high. It's an exceptionally drinkable beer that has lots of complexity in the taste.

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to tpd275 for this one!

A. Bright bronze color-very clear. Head is very full and soft with great retention.

S. Nutty and malty sweet. Tropical fruits, apples, and light toast. The hops present a perfume like aroma.

T. Wow...this beer is amazingly complex. Green apples, spicy yeast characteristics, sweet rich honey malt, grain, and floral hops and booze in the aftertaste.

M. Medium mouthfeel and high carbonation.

D. While this is not a style I know very well, I can tell this beer is well made. Balanced perfectly and amazingly complex. I could easily sip on this again if given the opportunity.

4.39/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Hazy orange color. Offwhite head settles at an eighth inch. Little to no lacing.

S - Orangey hoppiness, sweet and peppery bubblegum yeast, earthy wheaty malts, some pungent phenols. Smells like a good belgian dubbel.

T/M - Starts out with very sharp carbonation bite and some faint dark fruit flavors. Chalky wheat with more sweet fruits and some caramel. Finish is a sweet cherry fruitiness, chalky wheat flavor and some sweet yeast. Tastes like a good belgian dubbel.

D - I would never have pegged this as an altbier, but what do I know. Great drinkability, I'd love to see this one in the year-round lineup.

4.88/5  rDev +20.8%

Simple. The Best One and out Beer I have ever tasted. So complex and different I am writing my very first review. The color and clarity are the total opposite of what you would expect from this a brew this fullfilling.From the unexpected cream head, the complex flavor, depth of feel and lingering tastes that keep you guessing, I can only imagine a man trying to best himself at his craft. Do not let the ABV trick you into thinking that catagorically ALT is a brew with punch. When you taste this, you know the talented meister in WI had nothing less then using the bottle to knock wine tasters off their pedastal as inspiration. Stock up, save up, and enjoythis brew. ALT comes with a sence of pride from it's makers, and a renewed admiration of taste over all else,not soon forgotten.

4.21/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours an amber color with an off white head with okay retention and poor lacing.

S: Smells strongly of fruits, mainly bananas. Very good.

T: Strong fruit flavors ranging from light berries to strong bananas. There's noticeable alcohol when it warms up.

Overall: Not very strongly carbonated but still very smooth. Very drinkable beer, I really enjoy this style, one the the best I've had from New Glarus.

4.41/5  rDev +9.2%

A - A couple inches of frothy white head. The body is amber in color with visible yeast amidst a very active and fast flurry of carbonation. This beer is alive!

S - The aroma of a solid quadruple with pungent fruits accented by alcohol.

T - Firm malt flavor with a hop finish. There are pungent fruits, subtle clove and a hint of alcohol.

M - The brew starts out smooth and mild before it escalates slowly to a slightly coarse finish.

~ I'm embarrassed to admit I've never had this brew before. It is a top quality beverage. One I will definitely purchase again soon.

3.91/5  rDev -3.2%

Grabbed one of these on my Wisconsin run a few days ago. Figured I'd give it a shot considering how well New Glarus does other German beers. Serving in a very skinny glass that's half-way between pilsener and stange - closest I could get.

A - Wow! Huge four-fingered foam that dissipates slowly and leaves tons of lacing. Mostly transparent amber color with tons of bubbles that accelerate as the move up the glass. Just a superb-looking brew.

S - Lots of caramel sweetness, with a tiny bit of Hallertau hop bite. Very bready, but also has some diacetyl, and a touch of alcohol to it. It's rich and complex, but just not my favorite bouquet.

T - The taste is quite a bit more spicy, with some fruit flavors - blackberries, apple - mixed in as well. There's a woody aftertaste kicking about as well. Since this the first Alt I've reviewed, I'm not sure how this compares (it's been a long time since I've had Uerige). I think I like the smell a little better.

M - Crisp and dry, which complements the wood notes. The carbonation is not over the top (even though it looks like it would be). Light, with a touch of residual stickiness and warmth to it.

D - This feels like more of an autumn beer - it's not exactly what I was looking for on a cold winter evening. That being said it went down quite easily, with the only complaint being a bit of bloatiness.

I'm guessing this is on the boozier side of Altbiers, but probably less than 8%. Not a criticism, as the the only sense I get is in the warming mouthfeel. Overall I'm guessing this is an excellent representative of a beer style I'm not all that into.

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Giving this one a try thanks to ThomasHardy. 12 oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

Great looking beer. Clear, bright reddish brown body with a dense 2 finger head. After a few minutes, the head reduces down to an even dense 1 finger, and that pretty much lingers all the way to the end. Nice lacing.

Smells good, too. Brown sugar and caramel, general malty sweetness with some dark fruit as well. This is shaping up to be a nice one so far.

A complex assortment of flavors. Lots of sweet buttery toffe, caramel and brown sugar. Subtle dark fruit flavors and a bit of noble hop bite keep the sweetness somewhat in check. I really like the strong oak flavor in the background. Vigorous carbonation and medium bodied. Crisp finish with some lingering booziness. Looks good, smells good, tastes good, feels good. Can't ask for much more than that!

Overall impression: Loved it. Since this is a 'sticke' version, I wonder how it would hold up to some aging? I might experiment with cellaring a few, and am seriously considering seeking out a trade for some more.

3.53/5  rDev -12.6%

Not long ago, New Glarus solicited opinions about what seasonals they should brew. I suggested a sticke, figuring that Dan Carey would do a great job with any German brew, given how well they do lagers. Low and behold, they had an alt in the works for Christmas, and as I understand the style, it is on the big side for an alt. A Yuletide sticke? I'm fairly unfamiliar with the style, so my review will not be entirely along style guidelines.

This beer is a brilliant orange blossom honey color with a tawny head that fades readily, leaving some lacing on the glass. For some dumb personal reason, I have a soft spot for this color; it just looks so delicious.

The initial aroma was a rich breadiness, with maybe a hint of caramel, and a slight banana-like fruitiness (ethyl acetate?), which maybe is a little out of place, and a but of alcohol perfume. Absolutely no hop aroma.

The taste is clean malt with some residual sweetness. Hop levels counter the sweetness, to some degree, but it seems slightly out of balance, one-dimensional.

The mouthfeel is a bit slick. The sweetness slightly cloying, and the body a bit heavy, which coupled with high alcohol, impacts the drinkability of this beer for me. Other New Glarus beers have set the mark high, at least for me, and this beer, for which I had great anticipation, and this one does quite rise to the same heights, for me.

4.09/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance - Light to medium reddish-brown. A little bit hazy. Thick cream-colored head.

Smell - Malt aroma is most prominent. Caramel and maybe raisins. Smells like something I'd like to drink.

Taste - Spicy malt and quite prominent alcohol. Not getting much in the way of hops. Nice complex malt flavor, but the alcohol may be a little much. Seems a little out of balance.

Mouthfeel - Medium.

Drinkability - A new style for me from a consistently good brewer is always a recipe for success. This isn't by any means my favorite, but at least it gives you something to think about.

4.08/5  rDev +1%

why don't I get new glarus in NH? I hope that made you laugh. This nice reddish brown brew with a nice white head smells nice with highlights of bready malts, toffee and light fruits. Taste follows the aromas with a crisp finish that really seals the deal.

I'd take another one of these if offered happily.

3.33/5  rDev -17.6%

Thanks to kenoftheyear for this guy. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an American pint glass. It pours a nice clean golden clear brownish color, with a small head and a slight carbonation. In the aroma I am getting a slight sour malt smell. There is also a good amount of sugar aromas coming out. The taste is slightly sour with a large amount of warm alcohol coming through. Similar to what you might expect from a bourbon. In the finish there is a slight oak with a small hop bite.

This is a lot more complex then other alt beers I have had. So being very unique it is very interesting. But personal not very drinkable for myself.

4.82/5  rDev +19.3%

There may be some of the flavor profile of New Glarus' Spotted Cow in this brew. The only other flavor profile that comes to mind is Scottish Ales or barley wines: sweet and strong. The best features are the mouth feel and carbonation which are superb: grainy (in a good way), refreshing and effervescent going down. As far as flavor, the toffee/butter (diacetyl?) is apparent, but all I can say is that the flavor is far more complex than just this, and none of the flavors seem to overpower the others. I get inoffensive fruit, and an expansive range of extremely subtle flavors: cherry, vanilla, oak, malt, trace of hops, blackberry jam (just a faint hint?). Obviously, the abundant sweetness and fruitiness may be a negative, but it's not "sickly sweet" like some Scottish Ales.

This is unlike the other Alt beers I've had, which have all been German and on tap (at Heuttenbar in Chicago), and had far less fruit flavor and sweetness. This is a unique, full flavored beer that can really be savored and enjoyed. The high ABV is not even noticeable within the complexity of this beer. If you can find this, get some.

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%

a: cool bottle, tyranena pint, rich caramel amber color, light retention

s: toffee nose with rich spiced fruit, lightly buttery caramel, overcooked sugar cookie, raw sugar, heavy on the sweet grains, but accompanied by a nicely spicy noble hop aroma

m: lively carbonation, medium-full body

t: much like the aroma, well rounded flavors of rich toffee and fruits balanced with a crisp noble hop bitterness, spiced apple, raw sugar and oak in the finish, rich and dynamic in flavor, all quality

d: great alt, and i'd love to have access, probably good for at least 3

bottle smuggled back from wisco

Alt from New Glarus Brewing Company