Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Crack'd Wheat | New Glarus Brewing Company

Style: Hefeweizen

Availability: Spring

Added by cokes on 01-27-2009

4.2

Call it an Agressiweizen?
It's a hefeweizen-like beer with strong clovey phenolics from the yeast but also with assertive American hops. If it weren't New Glarus, I would have had extreme doubts, but man, I love New Glarus beers and this one is delicious.

Hazy yellow with big foamy head and lacing. The evening sun comes through my window and it infuses the beer with a lava-light quality. The head is beautiful, could be whipped egg wite.

The aroma is intense clove (not banana). There are also hops in there (amarillo to be precise, but I was guessing cascade before I read the label). And every other sip or so, I get a little bit of sulfur as the glass nears my nose, which I personally don't mind.

On the tongue there is an initial carbonation bite that finishes with a bready, clovey sweetness, which upon reconsideration, does have hints of banana. The sweetness is light, not cloying. Well-balanced with hop bitterness. But New Glarus always is good about balance.

The bite described above is part of an agressive mouthfeel, but the finish feels soft.

This works great as a thirst quencher that also has much to offer.

Maybe it is just hitting me in the right spot at the right moment, but this is my first review that compelled me to give all 5's.

4.92/5  rDev +18.8%

Thanks very much to UGAbeerguy for sharing this. I found this to be an absolutely stellar wheat beer. One of the very best I've had- just fantastic! Pours a pale hazy golden with a huge head and some nice lacing. Heavenly smell of lots of banana and clean wheat. The taste as well has lots of clean, pleasant banana and crisp wheat, all wonderfully balanced and extremely fresh tasting. Extremely smooth, easy to drink, and absolutely delicious. I could drink these all day!

4.84/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured In: Pint Glass
Purchased At: Barriques (Middleton, WI)

Appearance: The pour is a sunshine wheat color with two fingers of fluffy, foamy head. Despite what I was expecting, the beer is quite clear. A few streaks of lace are on the side of my pint glass.

Smell: The nose is fantastic, peel after peel of banana, orange peel and some spice from the yeast like clove and a little pepper.

Taste: This is definitely a more hoppy hefeweizen. I don't know that I've had a hefeweizen quite this hoppy before, but I really enjoy it. It still has a nice wheat backbone, with the Belgian yeast pulling through a lot of flavor such as banana and pepper and clove. The hops add a nice bitterness, but also a very pleasant orange peel flavor for the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation was spot on as soon as opening. The beer has a thin to slightly medium body depending on how much carbonation is left in the glass.

Drinkability: This is, without a doubt, going to end up in my crate again.

4.82/5  rDev +16.4%

A - Poured from bottle into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass (couldn't find my hefe glass) Poured with tons of head, and has a hazy/cloudy appearance with a light straw color.

S - Wheat, wheat, banana, oh and some more wheat.

T - If God made a hefe, this is what it would taste like, smooth wheat taste all the way down, very yeasty, and tastes as good cold as it does 20 degrees warmer.

M/D - Passes every test I can think of...why oh why can't I get this in Ohio!

4.79/5  rDev +15.7%

I had this from a 12-oz. bottle on March 15. I had it in a New Glarus Spotted Cow pint glass.

A - Dark yellow, very typical of a wheat beer. Heavy head with exceptional lacing.

S - An awesome melody of clove, cinnamon and citrus nose. The yeast smell almost jumps out of the glass. Everything smells complex and interesting.

T - It has a great Bavarian-style hefeweizen taste with an interesting pale ale hoppy note to it. It isn't overboard with the secondary spice flavors like some hefes are. I love the taste. World class.

M - Superior. A bold, sharp aftertaste that tells you there's a greater hop character than in a lot of hefes.

O - Give me more. Now. Too bad it's only a seasonal and it's sold only in Wisconsin. This and Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat would probably be my go-to beers. For now, it's just a treat.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Cloudy golden orange. Streams of CO2 surface at a fairly rapid clip. The head is fluffy and purely white. And this fluffy white cloud that floats on top of the beer leaves big globs of white stuff all over the glass as I drink. I love this smell. Smells just like what I remember the Imperial Weizen smelling like. Rich with aromatics of citrus and spice and weizen yeast phenols. Perfectly great marriage of aromas. This beer tastes great as well. (No surprise as I think New Glarus is the best weizen brewery in the country.) However, I do feel like this one tilts a little more toward the APA side of the spectrum than the hefe-weizen side of the spectrum when compared to Imperial Weizen. This is still great however, and the marriage of the characteristics of these two styles is very harmonious and pleasing. Very pleasing... There's lemon peel blending with cracked black pepper and wheaty doughballs. There's a little bubblegum merging with spicy wheat. There's some cinnamon and clove amalgamating with bavarian yeast phenolics. A good marriage involves some variety, and this is one that cleary has that. Outstanding union.

Move over Dancing Man, you're gonna have some company this summer. Hmmmm.... That makes me wonder...

What would the intercourse of Dancing Man and Crack'd Wheat be like?? Can't wait to try that one.

4.74/5  rDev +14.5%

It pours a hazy gold with a lot of effervescent carbonation. The head is outstanding, and pours a very fluffy billowing white puffy cloud. It remains about 1/2 inch deep until the very end of the glass.

Very pleasant and what I feel is a complex aroma. There is a bit of spice in the aroma from the clove phenol, a bit of sweet malt and fruit, and from the hop aroma I get what I perceive as a pineapple aroma from the Amarillo hops. There is a bit of refreshing lemon in there as well. I think the beers aroma is very nice and a great meld of the 2 styles.

Quite refreshing. I never hide the fact that I don't like the cloveyness of wheat beers, but this case is not so bad. Either it is masked a bit by the other flavors or it is not that strong. There is a tart fruityness that makes this beer extremely drinkable. Again, there is a combination of lemon and pineapple from the hops and just barely enough bitterness to balance the slight sweetness. The lemony flavor makes this beer very thirst quenching. The American Pale Ale attributes of the beer are quite evident in the flavor and I am glad that they kept the bitterness level on the lower end favoring the weizen side for the style. As the beer warms up you get more banana in the finish than when it is colder so it starts out on the Pale Ale side right in the front and finishes as a weizen. Just a touch more Amarillo hops would be nice, but not much.

The mouthfeel is medium/light. It is just one drinkable beer that is just quenching and dry enough to leave you wanting another drink within a few seconds of swallowing.

This is quite honestly one of the best beers I have ever drank. The combination of the subdued phenols and esters from the heffeweizen side of the brew combined with the bittersweet quality of the citrusy and pineapple-like hop flavor make this one of the most drinkable and refreshing beers that have ever crossed my lips. I can't find any negative aspects of this beer other than a personal preference for a bit more Amarillo hop flavor. This combination works extremely well and is perfect for summer even though this is going to be a year around offering from New Glarus. In my opinion this beer is more than a home run, it's a grand slam.

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

A- Pours a massive billowy white head, 2 fingers in height into my aventinus weizen-glass. The head has a massive retention and after about 5 minutes, it recedes a tiny amount leaving ample sticky lacing. The body is a hazy golden yellow color.

S- Perfect is all I can say. Great banana and clove aroma ala weihenstephaner, along with a nice massive hop backbone from the Amarillo dry hopping. I could smell this beautiful boquet of banana, citrus hops, clove, and bubblegum for a lifetime and be content. KeefD mentioned Hopfen weisse and I couldn't agree more to that thought on this nose.

T- Starts out with a nice wheaty note with a bit of banana but the banana clove notes are slightly held back from a big hopiness which gives it a very nice citrus lime note. After that sharp note, the maltiness comes back through with notes of banana, clove, some breadiness while transitioning to a finish filled with a dry hopiness, some graphite, and a slight astringency. Well done.

M- Medium carbonation feels a tiny bit much but that's just nitpicky. The body, I feel with less carbonation would feel a bit fuller. It's good nonethe less, but given the rest of this beers attributes I demand a little more.

D- The drinkability on this is extremely high and given the fact that this is year round, I will be one massively happy camper. This is one you need to seek out.

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Pours to a very tall and rocky head -- three fingers at least. The brew is pale yellow with classic cloudiness. Lighter color than German brewed hefes. There was no noticeable lacing as the beer was consumed.

Crack'd has an appealing aroma that is very strong on the nose. Living up to the billing, it smells like a German weizen crossed with an APA. There is a heavy presence of citrus balanced with a hop-floral scent. I also detected the clove and toasted banana smells I enjoy on traditional hefes.

Flavor wise, this is a high character beer. It comes on like the wheat you expect with the citrus and earthy flavors hitting you first. As the beer moves across the tongue you start to catch a very complex transition toward the hop flavors. There's hints of smoky cinnamon in here as well as a little pine note. The grapefruit flavor comes out as the beer goes down and it leaves a lot like the good APAs do.

I found this beer to be very refreshing and light bodied; almost too easy to knock back. For a beer with so much character you almost have to slow it down a little bit to savor it.

I was very glad to find this beer. It came highly regarded and it lived up to expectations. The only tragedy was that I bought a single :)

(From tasting notes dated 12 Jul 2009)

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle to pint Weizen glass.

A: Pours an orange semi-opaque body with strong carbonation flowing up producing a large white head with amazing retention and lacing about half way down.

S: Strong citrus with wheat and nutmeg. Very bold and inviting.

T: Strong wheat flavor with a small bitter hoppiness turns into citrus with a mellow nutmeg and cinnamon aftertaste. Little bit of an alcohol note.

Overall: Mouthfeel is about standard nothing amazing. Drinkability is amazing on this one, I could drink it all day no problem. Great wheat from NG.

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Pale banana yellow color and a slightly foggy body. Big melty marshmellowy foam grows up quickly to tower over the yellow like the crown of some exhuberant king. Patterns of perfectly placed patches stream across the glass with might. Wow, what a gorgeuos sight!

Big booming nose of peppery yeasty weizen stuff of dryer then dry citrus peels in lemon and lime spritz, some clove, and a ton of dried wheat. Pale bubblegum and banana notes grab some sweeter undertones and theres lots of flowery phenols in big wiffs. This stuff will clear your sinuses right quick.

Taste is remarkably tamer given its punch in the nose, ahhh but alas, this stuff is all yum and has a ton of drinking power behind it. Crispy and dried wheat forefront, crazy pep of palate busting citrusy peels, clove, and yeasty things popping all over the place. This has some zip, but is backed by a mellow bubblegummy, paled banana sweetness and creamyness that makes for a fantasticly balanced treat of Weizen-like quality.

Feel is just above medium but has alot of zip, zazz, pep, and perk; backed by a favorable taming aspect of creamyness.
Dryish? Not really, kind of I guess.
Yeasty? Yes, quite so.
Overwhelming? Not in the least, its balance is its key to some very remarkable drinking capacity.
So crack a couple of these Crack'd Wheat's and enjoy! This stuff will have to be hugely stocked in my fridge come summer.

4.64/5  rDev +12.1%

Where has this beer been all my life? Balls to the wall one of the best hefes I have touched. Thank you Corey for reading my mind and sending it my way. I asked for some quality midwest beers and this one was a terrific surprise.
Innocently opened to enjoy this past weekend, and as these notes indicate, elixir of glory.
Bottle Graphics: 7/10.

A: Poured the bottle into enormous weizen glass that shows off the body of this one. Nougat like foamy stacked head with cotton ball lacing all along the outside. Hazy and golden color.

S: Spicy and biting clove aroma. There is this background of hops that leave me drooling to start into it. Not knowing anything about it, was completely surprised by the hop flavor in the mix. Lemon with this concoction is nothing I have come across before.

T: Very one of a kind. Yeast flavors with a pounding from each sip of citrus hops. There is so much going on and it does not in any way become overbearing. A mish mosh could have come out of it but does not. Like a good complex chord that hits just right. A light flavor is very fresh and in terms of this style of beer, this is the best I have tasted from American soil.

M: Feather light with the only possible knock on the beer being a heavy load of carbonation.

D: New Glarus=Drinkable and this does not change my mind. If this was a beer I had access to in NJ, it would be a staple. Hell, I need to ask for some more in my trading game with this fine trader.

Thanks again Corey, great selection.

4.63/5  rDev +11.8%

Received in a trade w/ Tuo, thanks Joe!

I am ready for summer now! Cellar the heavy stouts (maybe) until Winter and bring on the wheat and the hops! I have to say, I'm not a giant fan of the wheat beer but this may make me a believer. The cloudy blonde amber falls into the glass and creates a soapy white head. As the bubbles reached the surface they popped into craters like the surface of the moon. There's a citrus wheat smell that is present first, fades to more Earthy notes. Taste is clean and bright with highly crafted wheat malts, herbal notes and a slight hay. The perfect amount of carbonation and it's a bit peppery. I could get used to this. A 6 pack of this, some friends, and grilling a fresh cut of fish equals a perfect summer day. Soon enough.

4.63/5  rDev +11.8%

I absolutely loved the Unplugged Imperial Weizen so I was ecstatic to hear that Dan et all were brewing a lower gravity version of it. This pours out an absolutely beautiful peachy-golden color with a thick and whispy head of pure white foam. Massive cling and lacing in my glass. The body shows great weizen-haze. The aroma is so crisp, fresh, and pure. Big shots of piney hops and yeast spice. The senses get confused between pale ale and hefe-weiss. Deep hop aroma blended perfectly with a bavarian yeast strain. The taste is similar in complexity and greatness. A soft floral body brings a dose of hop bitterness and yeast sharpness. The clove-like flavors are superbly matched against the hop bitterness and carbonated dryness. A slight chalkiness adds a bit of body to the swallow. This beer is so simple yet so complex and balanced with so many elements at bay. This has to be up there in my book in terms of all-around knock-out session beers. I would love to see the hopped-up weizen get more exposure and I plan on trying to clone this as a homebrew. Wonderful job Dan/Deb!!!

4.62/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass. No bottled date.

(A)- Pours a hazy golden orange color with a giant bubbly white head that is sticking to the sides of the glass. Has superb retention.

(S)- Tons of lemon and biscuits with ample clove. Great additional citrus of lime, orange, and pineapple.

(T)- Wow! Strangely hoppy with smacking citrus with a bananna and biscuit background. Good clove and a cinnamon-like taste on the finish.

(M)- Great wheat and pale characteristics with smooth, dry, and relatively sweet flavors. Great carbonation level.

(D)- A greatly interesting Hefe with a dual personality of style and complexity. Refreshing and crisp tasting. Thus, far, I think that New Glarus can do no wrong, especially with this winner!

4.62/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Hazy bright yellow gold colored

S-Great aroma...strong weis notes of cloves and banana's...both are assertive and memorable...but what is really interesting is the subtle citrus of oranges, and lemons.

T-A nice hefe like flavor of banana and cloves along with a splash of juicy oranges...a little lemon zest on the finish..

M-High carbonation....medium bodied...good drinker and thirst quencher...

D-Another outstanding beer from NG...I am not sure of the plans for this one but it would be nice to see it around in the summer...creative effort that yields an aromatic and flavorful wheat beer.

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

thanks to jojomdma (before he disappeared) for this one.

poured from the bottle a murky sunshine yellow to a sun king shaped pint glass with a full finger white foamy head leaving a fair amount of lace.

strong aroma of citrus and lemon rind.

wow - incredibly refreshing, clean crisp, lemony, banana notes toward the back of the tongue.

highly carbonated, a bit fizzy.

drinkable - yes.

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

12oz bottle poured into a wheat glass. no visible freshness dating.

A- this one pours a slightly hazy pale yellow with a huge pillowy white head that lasts for a while and leaves behind a solid wall of lacing. cant ask for anything more from the style. this is perfection.

S- very strong odor for a wheat. lots of yeast. lots of spices like coriander and clove. lots of bubblegum. getting excited about this one.

T- this one is very sweet. full of coriander, clove, bubblegum, and of course wheat. the taste is like a typical wheat beer, but amplified. theres also a moderate level of hops at the end. nice.

M- medium to full bodied. a nice moderate level of carbonation.

D- excellent. i wish i could drink this all the time. a perfect beer for summer. check this one out while its still on the shelves and relatively fresh.

Crack'd Wheat from New Glarus Brewing Company