Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Crack'd Wheat | New Glarus Brewing Company

Availability: Spring

Added by cokes on 01-27-2009

4.2

2.51/5  rDev -39.4%

Poured from a brown 12 ounce bottle into a a glass. The pour produced a billowing 3" head, hazey and unfiltered looking straw pale yellow. The head is slow to recede leaving an ice cream float like retention layer of large froth. Lace is spotty yet sticky where it sits.

Aroma is smelling strongly of cleaning detergents, or chemicals, not enjoying that aspect much. Some pine aroma, resembling pine sol...aroma on this beer is not very appealing, it really does smell like chemicals. So I asked a second opinion and my wife did not enjoy the aroma either, she thought there was gin in it lol.

Taste is odd as well, starting out with lemon zest, picking up a chemical flavor. Theres some straw like flavors, lemon lime zest, floral hops, biscuity malt and a acid like feel down my throat of citric burning.

Yeesh, I do know if this is a bad bottle or what but this stuff hurts my throat. There were some nice flavors here, but the aroma and the burning sensation was too much. Drainpour.

2.84/5  rDev -31.4%

12oz. Bottle in to my pint glass.

T: Pours a light yellow in color. With a white 1" head that faded down to about 1/2". Lots of carbonation in the glass. Some lacing with a small head in glass the entire beer.

S: Smells like a hefe. Definetley bavarian hops, and some cloves.

T: Very carbonated, malty, and some fruits. Little bitter at the end.

M: Creamy like the bottle says. Lots of carbonation again.

D: I personaly don't like hefe's. I have read on this site that some people compare this beer to 3F's Gumball Head. I would rather drink GBH any day over this. This beer is okay, but I wouldn't buy it again. I'll just stick to the NG Spotted cow.

2.94/5  rDev -29%

12 ounce bottle. Disappointing! I was expecting more, especially coming from the creators of Dancing Man wheat. The appearance, a very cloudy gold and beautiful head promised more than I got. The nose was pretty much the same... promised more than delivered. Soft bananas, citrus and some spice on the first taste and a dismal, flat finish. Maybe this would be great on a hot, sizzling summer day but not in February in Wisconsin. Good mouth-feel; creamy and easy but otherwise falls short of what I expect from a wheat beer.

2.96/5  rDev -28.5%

New Glarus' own description fits well, but is perhaps too enthusiastic.

In the glass this beer has a golden/lemon hue with a tall frothy white head that retains quite well. Typical wheaty cloudiness.

The nose is a smack to the face with cloves, citrus, banana, all that stuff. It's piercing, almost.

The nose lands itself squarely on the tongue, unadulterated. The flavor busts down the front door and barrels straight on through, exiting just as suddenly. What you are left with is a diminished, pale, watery finish.

This, fortunately, leads to high quaffability.

Overall I'm somewhat let down, but at least it doesn't taste artificial

3.03/5  rDev -26.8%

This beer had a big fluffy off white head, nice cloudy light amber color.

The smell was supersweet with hints of bubblegum.

The flavor was mild and wheaty, with that bubblegum odor making a much more subdued appearance in the taste, finishing with a light grassy hop flavor.

The mouthfeel was light with a bit of dryness.

Overall it was ok, nothing real exciting either.

3.16/5  rDev -23.7%

It poured pale yellow in color. It was hazy, and was very active with carbonation. It was very heady, as the head receded it left a clingy lacing on the sides of the mug.

It smelled slightly malty. There was a hint of hops. The smell was dominated by a lemon or orange zest.

It had a pine/citrus and hop flavor. It was lite bodied. It had a bitter hop finish.

It was good. But I think that it could have been better. I would have enjoyed it better if it had more wheat/malt flavor.

3.18/5  rDev -23.2%

A-pours a hazed golden yellow with tons of a dense creamy white head.

S-the nose brings lots of wheat and banana, notes of clove and lemon.

T-the taste is similar, a little watery, lots of wheat, banana, lemon, clove, minimal citrus, light peppery spice in the back, medicinal phenol, light bandaid.

M-medium to light bodied with tons of carbonation, crisp finish, a little grainy on the palate, thins out in the back.

D-lots of wheat in the flavors and thins out a little in the back, quite sweet and lacks a little balance i would have liked to see with an off medicinal phenol in the back.

3.25/5  rDev -21.5%

The hops seem to be a bit much killing the Wheatiness (the what?) that makes NG so great. The Banana/clove aromas and flavors are way overshadowed by the bitterness and aromas of the Amarillo hops. If I was drinking this expecting a Pale Ale it might be a different story. But for a Wheat from NG, I have higher expectations. I think this will be a good one for summer- it is refreshing- but first impressions are unimpressed. Good...but not great.

3.35/5  rDev -19.1%

I ended up with a bottle of this after a weekend road trip with my buddies. A friend of mine commented that he was going to clear out his fridge and bring some beer along for our weekend away. This was still left in my cooler once I got home and I drank it about a week later. The first thing I want to comment on is that I noticed that there hasn't been any reviews made on this beer in over a year. When was it last brewed? I realized that I was drinking a beer that is at least a year old. (no "bottled on" date on the bottle). I don't think this is a beer that is supposed to age so it may affect in a negative way what I think about it.

The first sip was almost medicinal or acidic in it's taste. I didn't like it. As I drank it though, I got a pleasant wheat taste and some fruits underneath this. It wasn't anything special but certainly went down easy enough once I got going.

3.45/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a weizen glass, poured a hazy, golden yellow with slight orange tones. Gigantic white, frothy head that stuck around for a while with minimal lacing.

First thing I noticed in the smell was cloves, which was then confirmed by the description on the label. I guess I'm getting a little better at discerning certain things. Also got nice yeast and wheat notes, along with a touch of banana.

Taste seems to follow the nose pretty closely. A nice balance of fruit and spice.

Mouthfeel was a bit down for me. Thought this could have used just a tad more carbonation.

Overall drinkability is good. Got this in a New Glarus sampler from a friend who visited WI, so I will get to enjoy 2 more!

3.48/5  rDev -15.9%

Hazy straw yellow with an inch of bubbly white head. Aromas of crisp wheat with clove, banana and big bubblegum tones as well. Citric Amarillo hops battle for supremacy, adding a dash of herbal resin and then taking over the show. Quite in your face with a perplexing melding of hops and hefeweizen yeast.

First sip brings crisp wheat with lots of yeast phenols. Clove, banana and bubblegum are the most noticeable. As it flows down the Amarillo hops blast in bringing along a bold bitterness that ratchets this up to an IPA level of hops. Finishes with a conglomeration of citric hop resins and yeast tones.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and the brew goes down easily. Good summer brew here - but I'm not a big fan of the hefe yeast vs. the hoppiness here and the way it clashes on my palate. Worth a try, especially if you never had the Imperial Weizen.

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

Appearance: Pours a slighlty hazy light golden color. Nice billowing head that fades into a pure white lumpy head.

Aroma: Strong bubble bum aroma upfront followed by banana and a hint of clove. A nice musty aroma.

Taste: This is a bit dry. Your tounge expects a certain sweetnes but all you get is bitterness and a fruity essence. Alcohol seems a bit more pronounced then most wheat beers. But maybe its just the unexpected bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Tasty average carbonation. Smooth not much thicker then water.

Drinkability: This has an odd bitterness for a wheat. I know its a pale/hefeweizen combo but the dryness and bitterness make it a bit rough for me.

3.51/5  rDev -15.2%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Harpoon Pilsner glass.

A: Gentle pour yields an outrageous 5 finger foamy white head that appears near immovable. Beer is a cloudy lemon. Lacing is patchy and clumpy with substantial foam clinging to the sides. A bit much.

S: Nose is wheaty and sugary with notes of soap, raspberry and strawberry. Fruit flavor is all the way in the background but serves to sweeten the overall experience.

T: Typical wheaty, slightly soapy opening but my palate is surprised by a nice fruity tartness. Citrus in the back is a good contrast against the mundane sweetness. Yeasty at times. Finishes with a sharp spiciness. Aftertaste is soapy but doesn't linger.

M: Light bodied, highly carbonated, very lively and coarse. Soapy and slightly watery in the mouth with a quick and apparent finish. Aftertaste is slightly oily.

D: Coming from New Glarus, I expected something a bit more fruity than what this beer delivers. Not much different than most run of the mill wheat beers, it adds a nice fruit component but this barely peaks its head in my opinion. Again, a nice offering but nothing special.

3.51/5  rDev -15.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours pale cloudy yellow with 2 hands(!) of thick thick white foam that lasts an eternity.

Smells like a hefe, mild banana hints

Taste is a wheaty citrussy feel with a slight tart background. Tasty finish leads to a very drinkable beer,

Very creative take on a hefe, though for me, not as outstanding as the Dancing Man Wheat offering.

3.51/5  rDev -15.2%

A tasty extra in a trade w/ brian23456. Very hazy golden color, excellent head. It seems to revitalize every time I take a sip and the beer jostles a little bit. This is just a hair away from being a regular hefeweizen in my opinion. I was kind of expecting more hops from all the buzz I've heard. A slight herbal hop aroma with the obligatory clove spice, but it doesn't really come through in the taste. Even still, this is a nice, tasty, creamy wheat ale. I just wish it had bit more bite or crispness, and I wish it was a little more dry. Creamy and pulpy on the palate. New Glarus makes a good first impression on me.

3.53/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Hazy gold, big head.

Smell: Sweet, a strong clove presence.

Taste: Sugary, pretty strong cinnamon taste, clove.

Drinkability: Kind of sweet, might be hard to have more than a couple.

Another pretty good beer from New Glarus. Interesting mix of flavors and a kind of strange feel to it. Maybe a little on the sweet side for me. Worth a try though.

3.55/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a weizen glass.

A: Hazy, medium golden color with two fingers of lofty but diminishing white foam head. Spotty lacing remains, heavy in localized areas.

S: Mild and yeasty, with bubble gum that stands out amongst lesser banana and wheat that is more grainy than bready.

T: Begins off-dry, with spicy fruit punch and restrained acidity. Phenolics emerge in the middle, curiously medicinal yet appealing. Some tropical fruit-flavored iced tea also develops, providing a smooth transition into the finish. Banana esters are finally detected late, providing interest in an otherwise uninteresting final act.

M: Thin viscosity, wet and insubstantial on the palate, with low carbonation.

D/O: A fairly well put-together hefeweizen, this beer boasts a really original and appealing flavor profile that is unexpected. Otherwise, the qualities of this beer are inoffensive but not really remarkable.

3.55/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Note: This review is not from a fresh bottle, but from one that got lost in the back of my fridge for months.
When I get a fresher one, I'll change this review accordingly.

Dark and hazy yellow in color, giant poofy foam head that recedes rather quickly because my bottle is a bit old, oh well. Body is of medium firmness and cushioney soft to the palate with bubbles (yes it is carbonated still) that tingle on the tongue. I smell light booze notes, banana bread and wheat crackers. I can taste wheatey goodness with just a hint of yeasty twang and light honeyed sweetness, but the cloves and spicing are very much muted from bottle age, sadly.

I can tell (from recently having had a Dancing Man) that this bottle is an age-neutered version of something very similar in quality. The malt which is left behind after the spices have been subtracted is exactly the same sort of stuff I found and enjoyed so much in Dancing Man. It is for this reason that I am waiting with great anticipation for it to be released again, so that I may review it in its fresh form. It should be considered a great recommendation for this beer that even when deadened by shelf age, I consider it just as good as an average hefeweizen.

3.58/5  rDev -13.5%

A--Great looking murky golden yellow with 3 fingers of head that recedes moderately quickly leaving little lacing

S--Banana, spices, cloves. Somewhat light but sharply projected.

T--Light banana/clove taste with a grainy background

M--Feels just fine here, carbonation is not overdone

D--A nice session hefe', but I'll stick with Dancing Man Wheatr

3.63/5  rDev -12.3%

Crack'd Wheat pours a pale golden. Smells like a hefeweizen - I can always get a scent of banana from these. Has a fairly high drinkability. It is a little sweet, with a little bitter finish. Hefeweizens aren't my favorite, but they are slowly growing on me. Crack'd Wheat is a decent beer.

Crack'd Wheat from New Glarus Brewing Company