R&D Golden Ale (2009) | New Glarus Brewing Company

R&D Golden Ale (2009)R&D Golden Ale (2009)

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Brewed 3-23-09, Bottled 6-18-09

Added by deliriumfest on 07-15-2009

Reviews: 184 | Ratings: 331

"Bold floral bouquet sweeps forward encouraged by Maris Otter Malt. Ale and Brettanomyces promote complex brett characters. Dry finish. Alive and still fermenting, this bottle will continue to build carbonation. Pour with care."

500 ml bottle enjoyed at New Glarus Brewery. First of the R&D series and hands down my favorite brew to date...

Appearance: beautiful golden body with large cream colored head, thin wispy lacing, transparent with plenty of visible carbonation

Smell: pungent brett, deep malt background, flowery hops, spicy, hint of fruity citrus

Taste: full belgian brett funk and malt sweetness, soft fruit notes, slightly bitter aftertaste

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, very lively, smooth and crisp finish

Drinkability: perfection... all day, every day

In my blog, this is the ONLY beer to date that has earned a perfect score. That said, I'm simply going to reprint the review word for word to recapture my enthusiasm.

Appearance - This beer seems illuminated from the inside. The colors of raw honey and ripe peach make it a golden delight. The orange-tinted head is very generous, with large, soapy bubbles, but does not last as long as I would like. In fact, you can watch the head dissipate before your eyes, before settling as a single finger's worth.

Aroma - Sweet honey and flowers. Flowers, flowers, and more flowers. Literally like sticking your face in a bouquet full of Stargazer Lillies. Nay, a greenhouse full of Stargazer Lillies. The biscuit and straw malt flavors are present, but hard to find behind such an overwhelming force. A slight warmth is felt, but not detected in the aroma. This is amazing.

Flavor - First sips give you a tiny citrus bite on the tongue before turning their attentions elsewhere. The "elsewhere" is flowers that fade in and out, barely a hint of barnyard must, suggestions of a Belgian yeast (spicy and barely banana sweet), and a light bitter that hides in the background waiting to be paid attention. A wine-drinker's slurp renews the honey sweetness. The finish is quite spicy given the otherwise sweet character of this beer. Lots of pepper, clove, and hop bitter really bring all the sweet floral esters back down to earth. The aftertaste is a similar blend of bitter and flowers, though eventually only the bitter remains (und die Blume abgefallen...) and leaves the mouth fairly dry. What an ale!

Mouthfeel - The light, crisp, tiny effervescence in this beer is the perfect blend of being bubbly enough to keep this beer refreshing and compliment its light flavors, but small enough to help enhance its creamy body. It is abundant to the end, of this medium-bodied brew. Despite its light malts, 7% ABV, and medium body, any alcohol warmth was undetectable.

Overall - This beer is perfect. It's true to style, laden with flavor, excellently crafted, highly drinkable, has perfectly camouflaged alcohol, and immensely refreshing. I cannot make one honest suggestion for improvement to this beer.

Wow. Been a long time since I've been blown away by a beer. Had this numerous times at the brewery.

This is a close cousin to Orval. Funky wild yeasts, biting acidity, venemous hop tones. Very well done. The similarities of funk and other character are so similar to Orval, I find it quite odd. Trade the arm and a leg to get it. Easily a top 5 beer of 2009.

4.9/5  rDev +20.4%

Into a New Glarus flute. This was bottled in June 09. Opened with caution, as per notes on the bottle, and it still foamed over. No matter. I love this beer like almost no other.

A: Champagne-like, with a cider ting. Great, obvious effervescence, thin ring of large-bubble head. Quick, voluminous head dissipated quickly. Nice, sticky, webby lacing as I drink.

S: A bit of sour tang lurks in between bold floral nose. Must, horse-blanket, barnyard funk all over the scent--I love this, but it is extreme and perhaps off-putting.

T: Rosewater, a touch of acid, and just a bit of malt and hops bittering in the back. This is the closest to Orval I've ever tasted/smelt in a beer.

M: Nice carbonation, really champagne-like.

D: It's perhaps too funky for many, but you can't say you didn't know what you were getting into--it's described nicely on the bottle.

Anyhow, if you like Brett...few better American examples. As for Belgian Pale Ale, it might be somewhat out of style, but I don't care. This is funky and beautiful, and the best thing I've had from New Glarus.

4.84/5  rDev +18.9%

The floral bouquet and the funkiness of the aroma on this thing can be detected across the room. When the glass is held up to the nose fresh hops, banana, more funk and more intense floral notes present themselves. This couldn't smell better. The head is a little loose but has some great retention and lace, the color is a nice hazy blonde with plenty of small bubbles. The flavor is particularly hoppy, it squeezes all the hop flavor out of those 38 IBUs that I can imagine. The flavor is dusty, lemony, bitter, and fruity with some grapefruit, some, some strawberry, and some peach. The beer is nicely funky with some perfect spiciness. Everything is so well balanced that each and ever drink presents the drinker with an opportunity to sit and ponder the nuance and complexity of this beautiful beautiful piece of alchemistic perfection.
This is particularly dry and reminds me of what a bone dry aged Orval, and a fresh hoppy Orval would be like if you blended them together and that worked with magical perfection.

4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a pint glass. Batch 160 brewed on 3/23/09 and bottled 6/18/09. Was a mostly clear golden color with massive carb streams. It had a huge 3+ finger head that settled into a constant thick cap. Great lacing with lots sticking.

The aroma was outstanding with lots of brett barnyard funk along with banana, clove and lemon. A solid malt base underneath. Great aroma. The taste was also amazing and easily the best BPA that I've had to date. Great brett flavors complimented with the fruit and clove. Nice dry finish as well. Went down way too easy for 7%. Sessionable. Mouthfeel was medium with lots of carbonation and dry spicy finish.

Overall, an outstanding beer that I was extremely lucky to get to try, thanks Ummagum!!! Highly recommend if you can find it or trade for it. Only avail in WI and listed as one time release. If available again and I could get it then several bottles would suite me fine! [R;Y]

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

500mL bottle received in a trade from jamal32. The label says batch 160 BB1, brewed 3-23-09, bottled 6-18-09. After uncapping and taking the first whiff I chose an Orval glass.

Holy crap this is good. If I'd known how much this would remind me of Orval I'd have made sure I had a bottle for a side-by-side. The beer is clear, maybe a little chill haze, golden colored with a thin persistent head. As already stated, the smell brings Orval to mind, funky barnyard provided maybe by a little Brett, pungent hops employed in the Belgian style, really good. It tastes delicious, a little sweet at first but with a nice balancing bitterness in the end, some esters leaving a pleasant after-taste. Mouthfeel is thicker than water but not by much, extremely drinkable even with 7% ABV. Matilda has a new competitor in the US Orval race.

4.79/5  rDev +17.7%

Thanks to dogfishandi for splitting this bottle...

A: This beer pours a nice honey gold with hues of pick peach. There is about a half finger of pure white head that wants to linger around forever. There is some solid lacing as it drinks.

S: I'm getting huge brett, some fresh cut grass, some definite lemon, and a tiny bit of pepper. This beer smells absolutely delicious. I can't wait any longer to try a sip.

T: This beer starts off with a nice citrus and floral punch. I get some lemon and rose right off the bat. The brett comes on strong and linger through to the finish. The brett notes get stronger as it lingers on the palate. This beer is delightful.

M: Medium bodied beer. This beer has a strong brett character, but it never gets overwhelming. It's perfectly suited to bring out the flavors a hoppy ale.

O: This beer is fantastically delicious. This might be one of the best New Glarus brews that I've ever had. It's hitting me in all the right spots. I need to find some more of this.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

I picked this up at the New Glarus Brewery on my May 2012 visit. At that time, this was the only “brewery exclusive” beer that was offered.

Pours a cloudy copper color with a thick, foamy head. Scent is a mixture of citrus and floral scents. Taste is bold with flavors of hibiscus, citrus and other floral tones. Smooth, mellow and delicious. Drinks great and keeps inviting you back for another sip. If you think the New Glarus 6 packs are good, you’re in for a treat as this is even better!

4.72/5  rDev +16%

Pours a beautiful golden, with a full creamy bright white head with nice lumpy formation as it retains.

S:Great! Bright floral hops, with a very interesting herbal infused scent. Lilies, lavender, and lilacs all come to mind. A little grassy funk lingers in the back, foreshadowing what might take center stage (or at least a larger role) if aged longer.

T: Much like the smell, and it doesn't disappoint. Light flavour of two-row malt, a little wet-grass, but again--the refreshing herbal scents are at the forefront. Sweet citrus

M: Well carbonated and light-to-medium bodied which aids in the refreshing appeal of this beer.

D: So refreshing, not even a hint of the 7% abv. Fantastic, looking forward to more R&D offerings.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

I got this as an extra?? Wow. Thrilled to death to say the least to get to be typing this one up, I was elated when it hit my fridge. Grabbed this one out last night to hang onto as I watched a little TV. Served cold and poured into a tall pilsner glass, this excellent ale was consumed on 08/20/2009.

Appearance 4.5 - The pour was damn near perfect. Bright golden yellow in color with a light cloudiness to it. Lots of carbonation bubbling up toward the surface throughout the session really gave it a very lively look. Huge head of white foam on the top that reached a height of damn near three inches before settling back down, but even at its lowest kept a height of around two inches intact. Loads of soapy looking side glass foam as well. Huge look here.

Aroma 4.5 - Light barnyard funk is picked up right away. Nice and light banana and clove aroma now as well coming through very nicely I have to say. As it warms some light lemon like notes and hints of light grass coming through.

Taste 4.5 - Bright, crisp, clean, and wonderful. The lightness of it only adds to the tremendous flavor that is coming through here. Light funky notes are the absolute perfect accent to a bright golden ale. Light lemon zest, hints of grain and a touch of a fresh grassy and herbal note all play very well on the palate. Really smooth and completely wonderful. Nice dry finish to it, clean with the lightest bit of sour hanging out way back in the palate and a determined funkiness that wont quit.

Feel 5 - Perfect. Very light body here and spectacular carbonation as well. This was insanely well done I have to say. I was shocked as to how clean and crisp the feel was on this one. It was expertly done and just as lively on the first sip as it was on the very last.

Drinkability 5 - I could have had ten of these. Even at 7% they just seem to go down like water. I am not sure how they packed so much into something so light and airy but it really, really works. I really could not get enough of the rich flavor and light, smooth overall presentation.

Overall - One of the best I have had in the style hands down. This was easily one of the favorite things I have had from New Glarus or anyone. I am not sure what it is about this one, but I just really fell for it. Great job here I would have this again any day.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

I was first given one of these by the ever-generous Bobby8405. Since then, I have had quite a few; this brew is right up my alley, I could drink it daily.

A - It pours a brilliant golden-yellow hue, capped with a prodigious white head and leaving some residual lace.

S - This is tart Brett funk, all day long... It smells like a ginger-scented Band-Aid wiped with Betadine, plus some pale-pils malt and balancing continental hop.

T - Big ginger, lemon-rind and medicinal Brett flavors are front and center, just as it was with the nose. This beer is delicious, refreshing, and unusually flavored but not challengingly so. I hate to draw comparisons, but this falls squarely in the flavor range of Orval (sacrilege!!!, I know...) and Avery Fifteen. A very good job by Carey and Co.

M - Very bright and effervescent; light-bodied but substantive.

D - This may be the best New Glarus brew I've had. On par with the best of the Unplugged series.

4.64/5  rDev +14%

I was pretty stoked to finally get out to the new brewery today, and pick up a few of these.

Pours medium straw colored, with an adequate inch high white head on it. Liquid itself is startlingly clear, with a few streams of carbonation lazily drifting up to escape.

Aroma is absolutely amazing. Strong barley aroma hits me like a ton of bricks, and it almost smells like there's a little wheat in there too. Smells like their other, older brewery always smelled when I've visited there! Really, just a very good bouquet here.

A nice balance here. Some nice brett flavor, but not out in front showing off. Also a decent amount of lemon flavor, that mingles with the brett, and for all I know is a byproduct OF the brett. I'm really most impressed, however, with the lovely barley flavors! Grainy, and almost a raw element, yet it works wonderfully with everything else.

Full mouthfeel. I think it even seemed fuller after looking straight through the straw colored beer. Somewhat slick, and a nice tight little finish.

What can I say? I really love this beer. And yes, I am somewhat of a NG fanboy. But I was prepared to be disappointed. In the back of my mind, I didn't really think this beer was worthy of special trip to New Glarus, and then pay $8 a bottle on top of it. I was very wrong. And on a side note, and knowing that it doesn't affect the product inside, I love the new bottle's for this series, and I love the labels. All around a tremendous beer, and I'm glad to see New Glarus growing.

4.62/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this one from badbeer, thank you sir!

500 ml. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a mostly clear golden hue with a big two finger off-white head that takes a while to die down. A good amount of stick remains on the sides of the glass with a whole bunch of bubbles racing up to the top as well. Smell of this beer is absolutely divine. Lemon, floral hops, hay, and clean brett. I had to give this a perfect 5 for aroma because everything comes together so well and it's just so clean...mmmhmmm, orgasm in the nose. Taste is very similar to the smell. The citrus is a bit weaker (unfortunately) but the brett is quite strong and very dry and grassy. Some spice, pepper, and sweet honey. Horse blanket in the aftertaste with a splash of orange zest. Once again, great balance amongst the plethora of flavors. Light to medium body with a crisp feel and a fairly strong carbonation, very fitting for this beer. I can't help but love this beer. I love just about everything New Glarus makes and this is just another one to add to the list. Might be my new favorite from them in fact. Get your hands on this one for sure. Thanks a ton Mike!

4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a deep golden with superb clarity and an inch of bubbly white foam on top supported by plenty of active carbonation rising up from the bottom of the glass. Aromas of crisp grain malts alongside a somewhat fruity undertone. Big earthy yeast funk with trademark Brett and barnyard accents. I get a slight acetic green olive type of aroma here that is oddly enticing. Sun dried hay and mellow herbal, grassy hops. Spiciness as well. Quite complex.

First sip brings crisp sun dried malts upfront with a mix of fruit and funky yeast flavors. The Brett steps up right away with barnyard and musty tones along with a nice tartness. Acidic tones with a touch of vinegar and green olive again. Earthy and spicy flavors weave in and out as it flows down. Quite dry overall. Light caramel and honey afterthoughts with hops on the back end. Complex, bold flavors, extremely tasty.

Mouthfeel is crisp and on the lower end of medium bodied making this brew extremely drinkable and refreshing. Good carbonation overall. I could drink this in mass quantities if it was a bit cheaper and more readily available. Perfect on this sunny Labor Day. As far as I am concerned New Glarus knocked this one out of the park and I look forward to future R&D releases.

4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

It pours a warm low-hanging-sun gold so much so that I can almost imagine the rolling hills and rustic landscape of Green County with the big mousse head playing the supporting roll as a light snowfall over "Little Switzerland".

My first impression of the aroma was that of walking past a little old lady at church; a faint trace of too much foundation & a subtle lavender-scented perfume, comforting and to be respected.

The best way to describe the taste of this beer is to imagine yourself at a classic WI barnyard party. All your best friends are there; you are happy & contented. There is a soft early summer breeze that gently kisses you with a warm sweet grass breath. The barn is old and a bit musty but it is very welcoming. The beer is cold, life is good, you are home.

4.59/5  rDev +12.8%

A: Poured a hazy golden color with a little bit of white head. Some lacing. There was quite a bit of visible carbonation as well.

S: The nose on this beer destorys. This is one of the funkiest beers that I have ever had the pleasure to smell. Bret hoe. Total funkhouse. I would give it a 6 if I could.

T: Just like the nose. They really just let the bret shine in this one. The golden ale was there but this was pure funk. It was kind of one dimensional but with this kind of funk that if all I need.

M: Very active carbonation. Super dry. Just like it should be.

D: I love this beer. Just a real treat if you like your beers funky. This bottle did have a little bit of time on it but I doubt it was ever anything less than excellent.

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

A humid, rainy mid-August evening in Portland; belly full of fresh veggies - corn, heirloom tomatoes, radishes - and a side of cave-aged bleu cheese...yeah, it was that kinda night. Hoping to end on another high note, trying this new brew from New Glarus. A 500ml bottle with a seemingly hand-written (but printed) label, detailing the specs and notes as if this was a test batch sample. Poured to the '75th Anniversary' Orval glass we brought back from Belgium...no pressure...

"Style: Golden Ale Brewed: 3-23-09 Bottled: 6-18-09 IBUs: 38 Batch: 160BBl O.G.: 15 P ABV: 7%"

A: Slightly milky wheat-golden, good carbonation but not overly robust. Thin head of white cream, never reaching 1-finger. Fades to a clingy ring and a broad patch of topping film, pockmarked where the streaming bubbles rise. A good-looking beer, no doubt, but way short of the beauty of Orval...not fair, I know, but just sayin'...

S: Oh yeah, lovely aroma...big ripe fruit/cut flowers/dry hay, sweet honey, spicy and nose-twitching Brettanomyces. Sweeter notes of berries, pineapple and bubble gum. Just gets bigger and deeper as it warms.

T: Just as fine as the aroma: malty fullness, loads of pepper-dry spice, crisp green apples, mellowed melon rind. A touch on the oaky-vinous grapeskin flavor, sugars pop up here and there, but this is mostly about the yeasty spice and a prevailing dryness.

M: Crisp mouthfeel, firm spiciness, lasting bitterness that hints at chalky dryness then fades. Medium feel, leaning towards being fuller style-wise; some lip-smacking malt stickiness and a vague notion of the 7% alcohol as a leave-behind.

D: Extremely easy to drink, definitely among the best beers I've tried in a long time. When "expectations" and "reality" meet like this, that's saying something...highly consumable, regrettably rare, immediately going back on my 'Want' list. Very well done, New Glarus!

Thanks to BA milwaukeeclassic, two bottles traveled westward mere days after the release: cheers again, Duane!

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

This one randomly showed up at a chicago wine store, they had it labeled as a lager... wtf. I am glad I bought it anyway.

Bottled on 6/19/09, poured into a pint glass (I was expecting lager). Golden color with a small white head, fades quickly to the edges. Smelled funky right off the bat, a good brett barnyard funk with some faded grassy hops. Taste is amazing - slightly sour with a decent amount of brett flavor, but it has an interesting hop/malt taste at the finish. Hops are very light and clean. Very dry and highly carbonated. This is one of the best American takes on a Belgian pale ale i have tried so far. I will be on my way back to the wine shop to try and pick up a bunch more of this one tomorrow morning.

4.54/5  rDev +11.5%

500 ml bottle split and poured into a Duvel tulip. Brewed 03-23-09, Bottled 06-18-09, Batch 160 BBL, O.G. 15 degrees P, 7% ABV, IBUs 38.

Thanks to Beerwolf77 for sharing this blonde bombshell with me!

A - Lightly hazy golden yellow with a dense two-finger cream head with moderate retention and some classic Belgian lace left on the glass.

S - The aroma is bursting with total funkiness and it's awesome! Lots of barnyard funk and horse blanket with pale malts in the backdrop and mild spicy floral hops. Fantastic nose!

T - The wild funkiness isn't as bold as the nose, but its very good regardless. More spicy hops and pale malts balance out the funky yeast a lot and give it a round, solid flavor. A little earthy wet wood and horse blanket funk comes out.

M - Medium-bodied and crisp but smooth, the R&D washes down clean with a good carbonation finish.

D - A very well brewed funky beer with great flavors and subtle nuances that really blend well. An incredibly drinkable golden ale I could any time!

4.54/5  rDev +11.5%

kindly procured and provided awhile back by the dirtman, the first of two

a: awesome bottle and label, into my chalice it goes, the beer a moderately hazed, deep honey golden in color, sustaining a nice layer of white carbonation

s: first whiff is beautifully funky brett and floral aromas laid on a pale malt base, lemon zest, fresh apricot, green apple, and white grape, the brett gives mostly wet straw and such with only a small glimpse of the stronger stable-type aromas, papery aged hops, not much more one can ask for here

m: carbonation lively, around medium-high in level, on a crisp light-medium body

t: pale malt body with fresh white peach and grape juice, great brett profile, sunny and full of bright farmyard and orchard flavors, a stroke of dried lemon and a flavor not unlike magnolia, generally on the dry side and finishes cleanly with a light bitterness and a dusting of yeast

d: with ease - another top-tier effort from new glarus, looking back at some older reviews it seems to be developing nicely

01.2013 - cellared appropriately, excellent development - brett is bold at this point, lots of dry hay, light cellar funk, lime candy, warm peach skin, and a pleasant hop acid. quality stuff. leaving scores alone - due to age.

4.54/5  rDev +11.5%

(reviewed 5/15/11) Proud to say this is the first beer I put into my "cellar" about 2 years ago, got it right off the shelf and into the cool/darkness of my cabin's basement. Let's see how it's turned out...

Bottled 6-18-09

Absolutely alive with carbonation. Enormous head surfaces through a gold/straw colored body. Dissipates rather quickly, leaving just a bit of lacing behind.

Enormous nose. Smells like someone poured a tub of pre-mixed mojito's on freshly cut grass and let it bake in the light for a few hours! Massive Brett presence with a bit of earth too.

Extremely intense taste of Brett. I had this beast fresh and it was much lighter, age has suited this beer well. Candy apples (green apples, Granny Smith), dirt, kiwi, parsley and maybe even a hint of sage. Long finish.

Brewmaster Dan has done it again. I'm just left wondering how much longer this beer could go in my cellar. Outstanding, perfect summer beer.

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

Whoa! Dan the guru nailed it! This is the stuff! Pours with an ENORMOUS foamy, frothy, textured, off white head and a boat load of lace. Color was a hazy amber. Aroma was heady and full of yeast, malty, and reminiscent of Orval - spicey, a bit of citrus and the Belgian ale essence. Flavor was all of that and so full and rich. Bitterness of the yeast come through more. Body is excellent and ditto carbonation. Citrusy, spicey, yeasty finish. Masterful! Not a session tho.

4.51/5  rDev +10.8%

OG: 15P
ABV: 7%
IBU: 38

500ml bottle

crisp yellow pour. floral, fresh hop notes reminiscent of a czech pils. a beautiful lemony fizz jumps out from the secondary brett. the dry wine-like finish and perfect drinking body makes this a supreme refresher, even at 7%. reminds me of a more drinkable sanctification. this is only available at the brewery, so i probably won't be getting another. wish i had a case. perfect way to say goodbye to thirst quenching yet flavorful summer beers.

4.51/5  rDev +10.8%

Just got this bottle from Joe1510 because he's scared of me and knows I'd kick his ass if he didn't give me one. New Glarus is my favorite brewery and I'm pumped to be able to try this brew. Drank from my The Lost Abbey goblet while watching Vikings vs. Steelers.

Appearance- Pours a golden yellowish orange with a nice big fluffy two finger bright white head. A random spotty cap is left along with a big/thick collar that leaves a lot of thick sticky lacing.
Smell- Soft and very floral with a rose hip like scent right from the start. A bit of musky Brett and hay mix to compliment the florally nose perfectly. Dandelion stem and grass are a plenty as well. A bit of bready malt tickles the nose as well but for the most part this nose is Brett and floral hops.
Taste- Starts with a big Bretty presence as the beer is earthy and dank. Mushroom and grass are prevalent as the hops add a nice sharp florally bitterness. The floral aspect of the beer really translates into the nose and has a very perfumey taste. A bit of citrus as well with a bit of sharp lemon peel and even a touch of orange. Nothing crazy but a nice aspect none the less. The Brett really lingers and is very earthy and delicious.
Mouthfeel- Fairly light body with a really sharp, aggressive carbonation. Great feel.
Drinkability- Man this is a great beer right now. The balance between the hops and Brett is absolutely amazing. I think with too much more time on this though the Brett will get way more pronounced and the hops will lose some of the greatness they're showing right now. So good, so easy drinking. Awesome stuff, thanks Joe!

R&D Golden Ale (2009) from New Glarus Brewing Company