Unplugged Old English Porter | New Glarus Brewing Company

newglarusbrewing.com

Style: English Porter

Added by emerge077 on 08-10-2009

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

I was on a business trip in Milwaukee and was on a mission to acquire as much of the unplugged series as possible. My previous experience of the unplugged series was great so I was super pumped to try this. When I went to the store to purchase this 4 pack the clerk asked if I liked sours, and I do, so I was even more pumped to try this. I also checked the reviews and it mostly had good reviews.
So when I tried this brew I tried it with a few other fellow BAs. Upon pouring this beer it had a light brownish color. Upon smelling this beer I got a lot of coffee on the nose and could smell the sour (interesting). The taste was something completely different, just awful, a rotten mess, almost like rotten fruits. Out of 7 of my BA friends only 1 liked this one.
Now I will say this tho, the smell and taste were so completely different from each other it blew my mind and I felt I had a great appreciation for the craft in this beer. I wouldn't ever order it in a bar or go to great lengths to try this but none the less Im glad I had the opportunity to taste it. I really don't see how this one got rave reviews.

4.24/5  rDev +13.4%

This beer pours a clear tawny color. The head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into a thin cap of lacing. The aroma is sour with some nice nuttiness. The taste is nuttier, and maltier than the aroma. There is still a nice sourness. Good complexity. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation, and a velvety texture. Overall, as a fan of both porters and sours, I really appreciate this beer. This is the first time I have had the pleasure of tasting what could be considered an authentic old porter. I am a lukewarm New Glarus fan, but I would really like to have this beer available to me on a regular basis.

4.07/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks to imperialking for the bottle. I had the chance to try this interesting beer a couple of weeks ago and now I have bottle all to myself.

Pours a reddish brown color with about 2 fingers of foam produced from a slightly aggressive pour. The head lasts for about a minute or two and falls down to a thin layer and then a ring. Nice clarity and color.

On first impression there is a tanginess, hints of coffee and acidity, brown malts, toast, toffee, a bit of roasted barley, dates, and sour raisins. Very interesting aroma, unlike any other porter I've had before. A little bit of cherry. It reminds me of chocolate covered raisins with coffee but with a sour/tangy twist. The aroma starts to get a little more nutty.

The tartness is a little assertive at first, sort of a soured brown/toasted malt flavor. At mid-palate is more of the same thing but it's quickly balanced with a rush of toffee, toast sweetness, plum, raisins, and hints of coffee and chocolate. Red apple and cherry skins on the tip of the tongue. Such an interesting beer. It seems like the beer is going to be sour and tart all the way through but at the very end there is a combination of sweetness. Wood, and tannins are starting to creep out mid-palate with dank wood flavors.

Moderate to high carbonation, mostly thin and effervescent but suits the beer well. Maybe a little less carbonation would help the sweetness and bring up even more complexity.

Not sure how many of these I could drink, I can feel the acidity in the pit of my stomach, but it's a good beer to have when you want to send your taste-buds on a wild ride.

4.29/5  rDev +14.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter. pours a deep chocolate brown with amber highlights and one finger of tan head that retains for a minute or so and leaves light lacings.

aroma is of chocolate, with a distinct sourness that is mixed in with a lightly meat-like note. there is a touch of roasted malt behind the chocolate, along with an overall character that is lightly sweet. very unique in the nose.

taste is more of the same with a more distinct sour note that works curiously well with the chocolate note. again, there is a meat-like note behind the sourness, but it dissipates as the brew warms a bit. overall, this is basically a chocolate flavored sour, without much roasted malt character.

mouthfeel is medium bodied and lightly sharp from the sour note. very drinkable with a pleasant finish of palate-cleansing sharpness.

drinkability is good. this is a very unique porter, without much of a roasted quality. it ends up as little more than a sour with some chocolate added, which is quite pleasant on the palate. pick this one up if possible, but don't expect it to taste like a porter. cheers!

4.3/5  rDev +15%

Appearance - Dark reddish-brown. Appears clear. Medium-sized long-lasting tannish head.

Smell - Rich caramel malts. Sweet brown sugar. Hops not particularly prominent.

Taste - Dark malt flavors. Smokey chocolate and coffee. Strong dose of sour citrusy hops. Unexpected and interesting, but flavor doesn't do it for me.

Mouthfeel - Full.

Drinkability - Drinkability for me is whether something is worth trying, not whether I'd drink a dozen of these in a sitting. This beer is probably not something I would come back to, but very much worth trying as there's obviously been some thought put into it and I haven't had anything quite like it.

3.82/5  rDev +2.1%

A foil-wrapped 12 oz bottle courtesy of eyncognito poured into a tumbler. Thanks to FooFaa, I've had a taste of this before.

A: The porter is significantly lighter than any porter I've ever come across, looking like a robust copper penny. The ale is light enough that I can see objects on the other side of the glass (even if I can't see exactly what those objects are). A finger and a half of egg shell head have left small patches of lace.

S: Toasted grains and toffee are strong from the get-go. The toffee nicely transitions into the most interesting aspect of the beer. The sour, stale component is sickly sweet, expanding out of the toffee like coronal ejection.

T: Wewww! That's some sour beer. The tartness, acetic and sharp, hits me square in the tastebuds, causing an instantaneous recoil. The tartness could pass for a Flemish red or oud bruin. As it fades, the malty porter that most are familiar with begins to emerge. Toffee, chocolate and coffee all feature prominently after the sour body fades. Vanilla and a mild cherry flavor are nice additions, springing out of the tartness. Coffee is the lasting impression after each sip is gone. A very interesting porter. I like porters that taste like a mixed old and new blend but this one takes the cake.

M: The coffee and sourness linger long after each sip is gone. The mouthfeel is dominated by the tartness up front, a change of pace that really kicks you in the tastebuds.

D: The alcohol never rears its head but the tartness is a bit much. Fascinating, but I don't think that I could handle two bottles back-to-back.

3.18/5  rDev -15%

This beer is not what I expected, but reading the commercial description makes my perceptions make a lot more sense. To me, "porter" usually means lots of dark malt roastiness; and "English" usually means "boring" (see any "English style IPA" for more on this topic). This beer I thought was contaminated - it had this weird tangy sourness that to me seemed to be the by-product of either brettanomyces infection (or some other infection) or at the very least some heavy Belgian influence. The story of original porters being "soured" rings true - from a history of beer in England I once read.

Having read this description, the beer I drank seems like it landed on-target (assuming the description was written before the beer was made!). It is brown, it has a nice head, it has a slightly roasty, somewhat sweet, and dominantly sour nature...so much so, I can't imagine that the original Porters were this sour. Still, for American craft beer geeks who love all things sour and funky, this is a very interesting interpretation of a Porter. And while I can't say I'll be seeking it out again because I found it to be not too drinkable and while very interesting not all that enjoyable, I can say that I am enriched for having tried it.

I bought a bottle of this as a 12oz single from Riley's Wines of the World in Madison, WI.

4.35/5  rDev +16.3%

#3 for the night from the latest box of New Glarus glory that Ian sent my way. It's been a while since I drank this many beers from a box this fresh off the truck.

A: A deep reddish brown with great clarity. Lighter than one'd expect, but this is no ordinary porter. A dense, light brown colored head rises - and recedes - leaving hardly any lace. Good stuff

S: An intriguing beer, the nose opens with an uncommon combination of oak, vanilla, butter, drinking chocolate and coffee grounds. Hardly any sweetness, and the roasted and almost smoky character only heightens the novelty of this brew. Sourness is present, and the combination of lactic and moderate tannic character is quite memorable. The tannic character I alluded to seems more derived from a husky, grainy base, rather than a woody character.

T: Opens with a beautiful lactic sourness that really brightens the palate and contrasts with the dry, unsweetened chocolate character and the vanilla in an extremely interesting way. Less woody, in some ways, this reminds me of a blend of an oud Bruin and a light porter, especially the way the vanilla and caramel play off the sourness. Pretty fucking awesome. The finish is long and dry, with a blend of sourness and the fantastic cocoa powder that pervades this beer. Excellent stuff

M: Fairly light with the moderate acidity and sourness further lightening this brew. Crisp carbonation and an exceptionally long lasting and complex finish

D: Bah, this is no regular porter, but a fantastic beer it is. A very sessionable beer allasame, and another Unplugged beer I wish were brewed again.

**Edit 06 May 2012**
Drinking my last bottle, this is close to 3 years old at this point and is very delicious. Stale coffee, dusty grains (both in a nice way) along a very clean vanilla and lightly toasted oak character are noticeable. Some lactic character is present on the nose, along with a moderate fruitiness. The palate is MUCH sharper. The lactic acid has increased dramatically, and it has gained a prominent acetic character as well (especially on the finish). There's something about the flavor profile that makes me think of lots of macerated, fruit (berries and apples), and slightly oxidized at that. The porter base comes through towards the finish, with coffee, dusty cocoa and a nice roast flavor. Light vanilla lingers. Drying with oak on the finish, this is still good but has fallen off but unique enough to warrant an attempt to procure.
4/3.5/3.5

3.06/5  rDev -18.2%

Dark mahogany with a thin, lacy eggshell head.
The nose brings cocoa, and some light smokiness, along with sour raspberries and cherries. All told, it's a fairly modest aroma, given its specs.
It rolls onto the tongue, with bitter cocoa, and ground coffee. The tartness seizes immediately, and brings a large dose of lactic acid charading as lemon juice and sour cherries. The sourness remains long into the finish and masks all traces of wood aging, except for, perhaps, one tiny glimpse very late.
Thin it texture with a tiny, fizzy carbonation. The sour aspects are overblown, as it clings and stings the mouth and holds everything hostage.
Its akin to a glass of chocolate covered Sour Patch Kids.
One should approach this thinking of Lambic (specifically gueuze), or Flanders Red. I just wish the porter traits were given more room to breathe.

2.55/5  rDev -31.8%

Pours a mahagony and cola color with light, slow bubbling. Pretty small head and only a half moon of foam after two sips. The aroma is of sour grape and apple with a dabble of fresh grouinf coffee. Smells like something from Belgium, not England. The taste starts with unripened apple juice poured over texas toast. The has some sour fruits in the middle while the finish adds some roated malts into the sour fruit mix. This seems like more of an Oud Bruin than an English porter. But this is does gove an interesting look into the past. Thos was the most popular style of beer of England in the 1870's. Not my idea of a session ale.

Just a side not, how should one rate this. I think its safe to assume this is not a "modern" English porter. But since this beer may be true to style of the 1870's, its just not my pint of ale. So how do we rate something that "may" be true to style, but we don't necessarily care for?

4.07/5  rDev +8.8%

A- Dark brown I would describe as mahogany. Off white head that has good retention and ok lacing.

S- Very roasty with hints of smoke. Some alcohol scents, also coffee notes. The roasted malts are over powering, but the beer tastes very different than it smells.

T- Tart and sour, very sour actually. The label said half the beer was sour fermented but I wasn't anticipating it to taste this sour. I don't know how accurate this beer is in creating porters of the 1830's but it certainly is interesting. I wish the oak and roasty flavors could shine with the sourness, but unfortunatly the sour is very overwhelming. Not really a bad taste, just very different than every other porter I've had.

M- Lighter than typical porters, lots of carbonation. Very refreshing for a porter.

D- Good beer, it always fun to try something that really pushes the envelope on styles. I don't think I would call this a porter if I didn't know what it was. Worth a shot buy a couple.

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

A- Very dark brown, half finger head with a nice sustainable lace.

S- Very tart and acidic in the nose with a roasted background.

T- A near mouth puckering tartness comes at you right away and fades to a more mellow sour note. This sets up for and melds well with the roasted chocolatly malt backbone. The sourness trails all the way through the finish yet is very clean.

M- Smooth and crisp, light without being too thin or watery.

D- I'm not a huge fan of sour beers otherwise I'd buy again.

Fantastic job on a beer that is both unique and that serves as a history text in a glass. Even if you don't like sours, it's worth grabing a single.

3.62/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this via trade not sure if it just not my style but I did not really like this. I will try to objective in reviewing this.

A - good looking redish cherry apperance.

S - musty and had strong vinager notes.

T - Vinager, maybe some sour apple.

M - okay again with the vinager mouthfeel here.

D - its okay may only want one maybe mine is just bad so willing to try another as others seem to like it but this is not what I like.

Wife even said that it smelled like when easter eggs were being made.

4.34/5  rDev +16%

a: into my rounded piraat glass, the pour rouses a low head that soon recedes to a random wispy smattering on the mostly smooth surface, the beer itself is a deep garnet-brown in color

s: dry toasted, nutty toffee malt backbone with a moderate current of soured malt, digging beneath reveals a wonderfully and even surprisingly complex core, the sourness seems to come in two forms - brash malt vinegar at the front and tart cherries underneath, a smooth and almost sweet woody vanilla, nutty cookies, delicately smoked malt - not meaty or acrid, chocolate graham crackers, orange simple syrup, layer upon layer of perfection, 'tis a bit challenging but well worth the effort

m: carbonation on the low end of medium, with a light-medium body, a bit thin but it's wholly appropriate for this beer

t: currents of malt vinegar diluted and tamed - while remaining a dominant influence - by an underlying toasted toffee malt body that's mostly dry, with only a balancing touch of residual sugar, a dynamic range of tart fruits includes cherry, currant, and finally raspberry towards the end, a delicate oak presence attempts to smooth things over, the sour grows into the finish as the malt influence fades

d: the refreshingly sour lean of the finish makes this one all to poundable for something I have no access to, lacking the roasty character most commonly associated with porters, this one might - for ease of description, be likened to a dry, tart brown ale

one of a couple brought back from cheezland, can't wait to revisit the other in a couple years

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

Enjoying this beer post-homebrewed Berliner Weiss and it's coming across really sour. The brown malt is nice but it's overwhelmed (at least on my palate) by the sourness. Mind you, I like the combination of the roasted brown malt character and sourness, but I'd like the sourness notched down a bit. I love the aroma though: campfire (charcoal) miixed with a wine-like oakiness. I get the oak again in the finish, which is dry a touch roasty and mostly sour. This is a very bold brew. Gotta wonder if 1700s porters were really this sour.

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured into my pint glass the beer is reddish brown in color. About a half inch of beige head sits atop the beer. Decent amount of lacing is left behind. The aroma is sour and sweet. Roast malt with hints of sour dates or figs. The flavor is sour out of the gate. A nice coffee maltiness slowly comes in to settle things down. I'm not too familiar with sour beers so I'm not going to downgrade even though it's not a flavor I enjoy. The mouthfeel it meium to light. Rather carbonated. Overall I suppose it fits the style. just not my personal style.

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a dark clear brown colour, with a good 1" head that dies down some after a minute or so, leaving a solid 1/2" creamy head with some lacing.

Smell: The sour backing is immediately evident. Roasted malt, with a noticeable nuttiness.

Taste: Woah! This beer is something interesting. While maintaining a lighter mouthfeel than many porters, it retains much of the taste profile of your average porter, with a nice nutty roastiness. A nice tart bite is noticeable right in the beginning, then a smooth sourness comes in with the finish

Mouthfeel: Lighter than I was expecting but pleasant and makes it a refreshing beer.

Drinkability: The sour bite makes it a VERY refreshing yet full flavoured brew. Recommended to anyone who enjoys sours and porters...

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

review #50 12oz bottle thanks to mnjeff poured into my brooklyn snifter

a-ruddy lookin brownish ruby color with a nice two finger head that lingered for quite a while...extremely nice lacing..nice highlights around the edges...the brew is quite beautiful

s-very unique....tart on the nose at first followed by some smokiness then roast and the very slightest hint of toffee..

t-nice coffee then toffee and caramel and roasted malt...gets sweet then sour and follows through with mouth puckering sourness...very very unique..

m-nice bubbly and effervescent..acidic on the tongue and very lively and prickly..medium mouthfeel... loving this

d-i would want to drink several of these in one sitting but the lack of availability and the acidity stops me...

overall this is probably the most unique beer i have ever tasted and just a overall unique brew and take on the style...would highly recommend this to anyone

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

A. Reddish brown, semi-translucent, one finger head that has decent retention and spotty lacing.

S. A bit overwhelming at first but once this warms up, the aroma settles down - lemon tartness with an indescribable funk under the sourness. I get no traditional porter aromas from this beer.

T. The palate follows the smell pretty closely - more lemony sourness upon entry. The beer then picks up traditional porter type flavors of chocolate and coffee. Finishes with a burst of palate cleansing sourness.

M. Medium bodied with a nice smoothness and good carbonation.

D. I am glad I waited until drinking my third beer to rate this - it has definitely grown on me. I have almost no experience with soured beers but find this easy to drink. It is very clean and refreshing with a low ABV. Another unique beer from NG that is well crafted. Time to grab another 4-pack.

3.15/5  rDev -15.8%

Purchased from the Hilltop Brewery in New Glarus, WI. Pours a dark reddish body with an off white head. Aroma of coffee, toast and sourness. Medium bodied, this has a sparkling wine mouthfeel, with an overall tart sour flavor. Not the best drinkability for me as I've not tried many sour beers. The label says that half the batch was soured, then mixed back with the other half. Based on the aromas I'd like to try the unsoured half on it's own.

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

Deep chestnut brown with darker rubyish highlights. A small faint capping of quickly dissapating light tan foam emerges to say hi then sticks a solid collar and long stringy webbed lacing acorss the glass.

Unique aroma of nutty roast and scant tartness of lemon and perhaps some Brett?

Tartful malt vinegar taste, lip smacking sourness of lemon kisses, orange pulp, high ended raisin tang, roasted, toasted bitterness with a very slight nutty sweetness and pale coffee resides late underneath its tart vinegar-like tone. The finish is quite palatable and complexing. That little coffee nuance is remarkably clean and nutty and some how balances out the remaining tartness that sifts away lightly and evenly.

Body is snappy, medium toned in tartness, fairly full in feel, an even lower tone in sourness and bitterness with a clean, nearly creamy smoothness.

A unique brew for sure, quite nice actually if ya like the tart/sour type of beers like this one. English Porter? More like a Belgian sour porter?

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured from a bottle into a hybrid tulip pint.

Pours a deep copper brown with a red tinge. Head starts two fingered and recedes to a half inch cap. Leaves decent amounts of lacing and a ring with every sip.

Aroma is malt on the front with a stale aroma. Bit of oak on the nose with deep chocolate malt notes. Middle is roasty malt with a slightly acidic sourness. Finishes with a touch of hop and a mostly vinious grap aroma.

Flavor up front is malt with a huge accompaniament of sour. Sourness is akin to a saison with it's vinious and grape like flavor, this is different however with a rider of malt and a stale oakey, peaty flavor like aged scotch and roasted nuts. Caramel is in there with a nutty and slightly smokey flavor. This is quite a sour beer but not cloying. Finishes dry from the sourness and actually is quite tasty.

Mouthfeel is moderately crisp, but not thin. The carbonation is soft and full, very nice. Sourness is somewhat cleansing on the palate.

This is a very complex beer. The blending gives the characteristics of many different beers in one and I'm afraid mvocabulary is limited to the point that I can't do it justice with words, give it a try.

Edit 8/31; I had another tonight and, when I originally reviewed this brew my brain screamed FLANDERS, but I beat it down. "NO, NO", I said "it is not a brown sour!!!" But tonight my brain persisted. It's just that it's not completely a sour, it's much more. Maybe it should be so.

3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

Nice looking dark brown pour with a creamy finger of head that leaves a bit of lacing on the glass. Nose is sour fruit upfront, caramel malt, woody notes, and some belgian yeast and spices.

Taste is very interesting. The sourness isn't too prominent, but rather accompanies the flavor profile subtly. A very dry woodiness dominates, with some fruits and spices in the background

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and very dry....this beer is extremely well crafted, it reminds me quite a bit of Cuvee De Tomme actually. Old English Porter, Belgian Strong Dark Ale, American Wild Ale, whatever it should actually be called--it is really good. This is generally not my type of beer so my overall score isn't going to be huge, but I HIGHLY recommend this to fans of sours and wilds.

4.12/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. It pours a medium brown and gives off a ruby/brown color when held to the light. A 1/4 inch tan head forms and slowly reduces to a full coverage lacing. No sediment is noticed.

The aroma is quite different than I expected. There is a malt component, mixed with a significantly more sour and yeasty part. I also pick up some brown sugar.

The taste is again a unique mix of sour and malted sweetness, which is quite pleasant, perhaps a bit too sour. A unique coffee component is also present.

The mouthfeel is a mildly heavily carbonated drink with a medium body. The sourness leaves a nice level of dryness at the finish. It does go down quite smooth.

This is a reasonably drinkable beer. I've noticed that it seems to get better as you go, perhaps due to adjusting to the sourness. I only have a few of these but will hopefully get to snag a few more before it is gone.

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a light brown color with amber edges, a nice light tan, 2 finger head and a steady stream of carbonation. Sheets of lacing form on the glass I drink it. Aroma at first is that of chocolate with only the slightest underpinnings of sourness. Smells sweet somewhat fruity. Taste is slightly tart and fruity but then has a wonderfully dry, chocolate and coffee aftertaste. Almost has a red wine tannic flavor, and some noticeable woodiness. This is easily the most interesting take on a porter I've ever had. It combines too of my favorite things... dark malts and sourness. Mouthfeel is medium, nice carbonation, but becomes silky and smooth as it warms in the glass. A very interesting beer to say the least. It has a low ABV, but I'm wondering how this beer will do with some age. I'll save one bottle and find out. Another interesting concoction from the Unplugged series.

Unplugged Old English Porter from New Glarus Brewing Company