Unplugged Old English Porter | New Glarus Brewing Company

Style: English Porter

Added by emerge077 on 08-10-2009

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

4.42/5  rDev +18.5%

The last of the bottles sent down from BeerFMAndy recently. This was the one I most anticipated, so I saved it for last. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a murky dark brown, with slight amber tints on the edges. Minor globs of lace stick to the glass. The aroma is musty and slightly sour. This smells like their Enigma, with faint old mushy fruits and oak. Glad I read the label before partaking in this, as I would have been thrown with this aroma.

The mouthfeel is moderately heavy with ample carbonation. Light funky flavor right away - old apples, raspberries, mild acidity. The first half of this beer finishes mildly tart as well. It's interesting though, because the more I sip, the more pronounced the "actual" Porter flavors pull through. My final few sips were more roasted in character carrying a semi-sweet toffee flavor.

This was a very unique and special brew. One of the more complex beers I have had in quite awhile. Thanks so much for this one, Andy! I really enjoyed it.

4.29/5  rDev +15%

Poured straight from fridge into a pint glass.

A- Brown to amber. No head.

S- Instantly smelled sour but not in an infected way. It really reminded me of a flemish sour...almost like a monks cafe. Dark fruits. can't read too much of the malts and even less of the hops. Really wonderful smell though.

T- Sour. Picking up tart plum and even a little raspberry. Toffee/coffee malts and smoked malts come through. Clean tasting. minimal hops.

M- Crisp and effervescent.

Overall I must say I wasn't expecting a porter to be sour but I guess this is the first Old English Porter I've ever had. It helped a lot reading the label on the side of the bottle and knowing why it was processed/soured in this manner. I'm a fan of flemish sours, so I guess this was a pretty tasty beer in the end. However, I can see how this could be a disappointment for someone who was expecting more of the current standard idea of a porter. I'm really enjoying this, unfortunately I only had 1 bottle...

2.88/5  rDev -22.8%

Big thanks to leschkie for this bottle.

A: Pours a dark brown with huge redish hues throughout. There is about 1 finger of off-white head that slowly dissipates.

S: Smells yeasty, bready, and a sour. It actually reminds me of church wine mixed with fermented bread. I also get a bit of soy and candies plums.

T: Wow. Sour. Like vinegar mixed with Sour-Patch Kids. Yup, I'd say that's an accurate description. I'm not a fan of this.

M: Medium bodied beer, but it's super tart and finished really dry.

O: I wasn't really expecting the flavors of this beer to be so sour. I don't think this is an awful beer, but it's certainly not my favorite. Either-way, I'm happy to have tried it.

Bottle poured into a tulip glass. Beer pours a dark brown, cola like in color with a finger of tan colored bubbly head that quickly dissipated to a collar of bubbles. Pretty highly carbonated with a lot of bubbles at the edge of the glass.

Nose is dark fruits, prunes and figs and dates. Really sweet and tangy smelling. Some brown sugar and molasses, clove. Definitely soured and vinous. Really interesting.

Follows the nose, dark fruits, brown sugar and molasses sweetness, then some acidity and red wine like quality. Fruity esters and spice from the yeast contribute flavors in the mid palate, as well as some toasted malt flavors. Finish is sweet and sour, with continued dark fruits, roasted malt, charred wood, and a balsamic vinegar acidity.

Light to medium body with ample soft carbonation. Wasn't expecting this beer to be soured until I smelled it and went back read the label. Very interesting beer.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%