Moon Man No Coast Pale Ale | New Glarus Brewing Company

Moon Man No Coast Pale AleMoon Man No Coast Pale Ale

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

You hold a session beer with a bright bold blend of five hops that flirt obligingly with the smooth malty backside. Don't let this one lay around it is brewed to be enjoyed today. Bold and engaging without pretense, because in Wisconsin you do not have to be extreme to be real.

Added by Skidz on 03-12-2010

Reviews: 506 | Ratings: 2,490
4.46/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Love to see this no coast let's give it a whirl. Popping the top I get a fresh citrus waft. Pours to a bright orange with a bright white head. On the taste this brew is a moon shot indeed. Super fresh citrus with a mild hop bite. The middle has nice malt backbone. This has to be the most refreshing pale ale I have ever dranken. Great job.

4.34/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very clean from nose to aftertaste. Crisp orange peel and light hops at the nose, this APA has a lovely malty warmth that I personally haven't encountered in many pale ales. The mouth feel is crisp, and the aftertaste is clean, not bitter at all.

4.04/5  rDev -1.7%

Had this on 2016-08-26 in Columbia, PA from a fresh 12oz bottle.

A - Clear golden-orange with a 2-finger pillowy-white head and good lace.

S - Orange, mild pineapple, very mild dank, touch of malt. Pleasant but not real strong.

T - Much like the aroma with a focus on orange flesh, mint, biscuit with a touch of caramel and herbal tea. Very moderate bitterness. Extremely well balanced even in the aftertaste.

M - Light-medium body and carbonation. Pretty smooth with just a hint of prickle.

O - An easy-drinkin' pale ale. Good flavors. Won't knock your socks off but sometimes, beautiful balance is all you need.

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz can poured into a pint glass

A- A slightly hazy golden straw color with a two finger white head.

S- Citrus, some light fruits, slightly piney/floral, biscuty malt backbone.

T- Citrus, hints of tropical fruits, light fruits, slightly sweet biscuty malt backbone, some floral hops.

M- Smooth, light body.

O- A very easy drinking pale ale, great balance of malts and hops.

4.04/5  rDev -1.7%

My local, in-person trader, tone77, brought one of these back for me from a recent work trip. Yeah, it may be another bottle, but there are times when I will make allowances and this is one of them.

From the bottle: "Moon Man is a seriously cool cat. Always comfortable in his own skin, he never tries too hard. So cool we named our 'no coast' pale ale after him. You hold a session beer with a bright bold blend of five hops that flirt obligingly with the smooth malty backside. Don't let this one lay around. It is brewed to be enjoyed today. Bold and engaging without pretense, because in Wisconsin you do not have to be extreme to be real, just be. [undersigned] Daniel & Deborah Carey".

I Pop!ped the cap & as soon as I did so, I began to get some mild foaming through the neck. I decided to begin pouring it, albeit more softly than usual. The head still came foaming up like a puppy, eager to greet its master. I watched as it settled into two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, foamy, tawny head before it finally gave up the ghost. Color was solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like someone swept the base of a pine forest into my glass! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was completely unexpected. It mixed tropical fruit flavors of mango, papaya and passion fruit with a bready maltiness to create a fruity, biscuity beer that was really pleasant. I ripped through it so quickly that it brought a tear to my eye. I do not expect to be in the Midwest until late-winter/early-spring 2017 & I have no prospects for getting more. Finish landed in that nether-realm between semi-sweet & semi-dry. The interplay between the hops & the malt was just too tough to lay my finger upon one or the other. Thanks to my local, in-person trader for dropping this off for me.

4.15/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12oz can. Appearance: Crystal clear golden with a moderate white foam cap. Aroma: Fresh cut grass and light citrus aroma from the. Taste: Sweet, bready malt with a touch of caramel. Hops provide a definitive grassy and citrus flavor throughout, with a clean, crisp bitterness. Mouthfeel: Medium for the style, with a crisp carbonation. Finish: Dry and well attenuated, with a crisp bitterness that leaves a pleasant citrus flavor on the tongue, begging you to come back for another drink. Top notch example of an APA, with extraordinary balance

4.39/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a teku pint. Bottleneck says 1056.

A- Pours a light amber color with a 1/2 inch off-white head that retains well before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and some random splotches of surface foam. Semi-resilient lacing leaves small clots behind.

S- Nice bright hop aroma with some citrus tones.

T- Great balance of citrusy hops displaying notes of grapefruit, orange and apricot. Slight malt backing. So very crushable.

M- Somewhat tangy with medium carbonation and a lightish body.

O- Wow. I didn't realize New Glarus was one of the first to create the high-hop/low-malt APA that is so incredibly popular these days. Along with Zombie Dust, this would easily be part of my regular go-to session beer lineup in a perfect world.

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz can. Pours bright clean golden with finger white head, good retention and a little lace. Light toasted grain aroma. Tastes of toasted malt, a little citrus and orange. Back end grassy floral hops finish off with a decent bitter kick. Dry finish with a thin crispy mouthfeel. Overall good pale ale.

Nice golden color, a funky tang on the nose and a nice bubbly feel. A refreshing ale with a complex flavor as the 5 different hops wrestle for dominance. Fun to sort them out in the finish. The bitterness is integrated throughout so provides balance but is not overt.

4.11/5  rDev 0%

A: Clear golden color with a thick, foamy white head.
S: A strong smelling beer. It smells heavily of piney aromas, apricots, and plenty of clean floral hops.
T: Mild for an APA, but delicious. Plenty of floral hops, with hints that follow the nose. The piney, floral, and citrusy hop flavors strike the tongue perfectly, with a very faint crackerish malt that finishes on the palate.
M: This is a crisp, light-bodied, moderately carbonated, clean feeling session APA.
O: Great beer. This is the finest APA I've had yet (though, that doesn't mean much yet). Anyway, I love the taste and the drinkability. But, the smell is fantastic, and a superbly smelling hoppy beer. This was my favorite beer that I tried on my trip to Wisconsin, and I would highly recommend this APA and this brewing company. It's also very nice that they are treated like a treasure in Wisconsin, and that they are employee-owned. This is a fine beer.

4.21/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear crisp golden hue. Frothy white head quickly dissipates leaving some stick lading behind.

Smell is very gentle with aromas of peach, apricot, and pine and a noticeable cracker like malt aroma as well. The beer smells balanced with both the hops and malts shining through on the nose.

Taste follows the nose with a very balanced and gentle harmony of flavors. Peach, apricot and a subtle tinge of pine and sap come through from the hops. This is balanced by a nice basic malt that tastes like cracker and freshly baked white bread. As the flavors give way to the finish there is a slight mild bitterness that is not overpowering and is very pleasing.

Feel is crisp, clean and light - perfect for an APA. Dry finish is very nice. Medium carbonation.

Overall this is a very nice, for lack of a better word, "gentle" and balanced APA. The hops are there but they are very balanced within the beer making this a very easy APA to have again and again. Also a great starter APA for people who "don't like too much bitterness".

CANnot wait for this one to be in CANs..

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of citrus, some pine. Taste is citrus, malts, pine, hints of peaches, light bitterness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a good beer, but I was hoping for a little more.

4.23/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Upfront disclosure: this has been my favorite brewery for about a dozen years.
I flatter myself that that title is worth something.
But, even if that title is not worth much... this ale is.
For those who do not appreciate paying money to have their buds assaulted by too many hops by too many brewers who are still learning to blend malts, then this is the beer for you.

6/12/16 re-rate: swapped .25, decreasing Smell and increasing Taste as this went well with guacamole. Bumped-up the Overall .25 because I really do like the progressive Heartland mindset of this beer: nothing extreme, just be.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Transparent light amber/gold. Thin white head. Medium carbonation. Medium/light hoppiness, would be a good session IPA. Good offering from a great brewer but like most of their beers doesn't reach the next level.

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured golden straw with fluffy white head that laced well. Scent was pine with light citrus. Flavor was pretty complex for an IPA without additives. I taste heavy pine bitterness up front and fades to citrus/orange notes, balanced with nice malt backbone. Moderate carbonation and mouthfeel that fit the beer well.

4.36/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I get an inch and a half of pale off-white head with a vigorous poor. Body looks like honey sitting in the glass. Nose has has hints of apricot and sweet crackers and is very inviting. The nose is soft but very pleasant. With first sip you quickly notice how wonderfully balanced this beer is. So often in today's craft beer world breweries try to hop the hell out of there pale ales, but this one is done very well. Just the right amount of sweet citrus hops and appropriate cracker based malts. Incredibly easy to drink and very enjoyable from start to finish. This is the beer that goes great with many different types of food and is super on a hot sunny day by the pool. I really wish I could get this beer Locally. New Glarus always seems to stay so true the style. Doing it just right, while making exceptional beers. I could easily sit and drink several of these in one setting .

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A stunning pour as it hits the glass, this beer is a full, medium golden in color with a thick, dense, and creamy head. The retention and lacing on the head is phenomenal. The body of the beer is 95% translucent, with just the slightest bit of haze present. On the nose, this one displays a medium hop presence that is full of pine and light citrus notes. The bitterness in the scent is just enough to let you know it is an APA.

Taking a drink, the beer washes over the tongue and displays it's mild hop profile first. The hops bitterness in the taste matches the scent almost exactly, with mostly piney flavors up front with a light citrus to orange profile at the back end. Outside of the hops, the taste has just a touch of underlying light grains that balances the overall flavor. The lingering flavor is a light grassy-ness to go along with some fading hops. On the palate this one is perfectly sessionable; not punching too hard with the hops and not displaying any alcohol.

Overall, to me, this one is a nearly perfect session beer. The hops are there and satisfying, but not overpowering. The flavor is full, yet the body is fairly light. You could totally drink several of these in a sitting very comfortably. A very well done beer!

4.26/5  rDev +3.6%

As of yet my favorite pale ale. I drink Moon Man for a change of pace, I'm more of an american lager guy. I like Moon Man nice and cold on a hot summer day. A fantastic thirst quencher.

Excellent hop flavor. Reminds me of grapefruit juice.

Clear golden color. Crisp and dry with lingering hop flavor. Oh, did I mention about the hops yet? As with any pale ale it's all about the hops, and Dan Carey, brew-master/owner at New Glarus, sure got it right with Moon Man.

In my humble opinion Moon Man is as good as it gets when it comes to pale ales, and I've tried more than just a few of them...

4.36/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours like a golden lager with a noticeable, but not overly powerful, aroma of dank, resiny hops. Tastes exactly they way you would want a session pale ale to taste. Exceptional balance of hops and malt. There's enough piney hops in this beer to remind you you're drinking a pale ale with the crispness of a lager and a light body. Definitely my go-to session beer when looking for something flavorful but not over the top.

4.31/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I sometimes wonder why I bother to write these reviews when the labels describe the beer with more artistry than I ever could. Take for example this from my beer du jour, Moon Man No Coast Pale Ale by New Glarus Brewing Company: “Moon Man is a seriously cool cat. Always comfortable in his own skin, he never tries too hard…You hold a session beer with a bright bold blend of five hops that flirt obligingly with the smooth malty backside. Because in Wisconsin, you do not have to be extreme to be real, just be.” It’s incredible to realize that the culture and philosophy of an entire state can be contained in a 12 ounce beer bottle. But hey, this is Wisconsin we’re talking about.
I’ve been looking forward to this one, having had some of this a couple of weeks ago while on a camping trip. I delay gratification in order to enhance the pleasure, reading the label in order to get to know my eventual conquest. Apparently, consumption of alcoholic beverages can impair my ability to drive a car or operate machinery. Fortunately, I have nowhere to go tonight and do not own a chain saw or punch press; I’m good to go. Good to go except for the fact that I don’t have a Damn bottle opener. Shit. I brought 2 with me camping--just to be safe--and returned home with exactly none. How does that happen? Stay cool, bro, there’s gotta be something here I can use. (Several moments later) Well, I’m going to have to buy my wife a new salad fork, that’s for sure.
My mind is drifting back now to that Homer Simpson bottle opener I was eyeing up a few months back at Big Lots. It was only a couple of bucks, and it uttered a Homer quote every time you used it, but somehow it didn’t quite fit my personality. I tend to avoid kitschy unless it is beyond the pale, like my Vanilla Ice beach towel. I curse my pretentiousness as I scour the kitchen for something that could be used to remove a cap from a bottle.
Hearing my movement, our guinea pig--ever the optimist--senses that I could be searching for the vegetable peeler in order to peel that bag of carrots that has been sitting in the refrigerator. He begins to emit a squeak guinea pigs are noted for (imagine trying to say the words “weak week” four octaves beyond what you are capable of). Of course, Charlie, being a young guinea pig, doesn’t quite have his squeak on yet. His young voice often breaks while trying to get my attention, but he is undeterred. Between squeaks, he grabs the bars of his cage with the pronounced front teeth that are typical of his breed, and begins to shake them mightily. An idea enters my head. I cautiously lift Charlie from his cage (I’ve never been too comfortable holding animals or children), and place him on the kitchen counter. I then grab a carrot from the bag in the refrigerator and grind some into the edge of the cap. I then wave the bottle in front of his nose--he takes the bait. His incisors now clasped firmly on the bottle cap, I grasp the bottle firmly with one hand while delivering a quick conk on his noggin with the other. Success! As a bonus, he even made a cute sound as he opened my beer, not unlike the Homer Simpson bottle opener previously mentioned.
And now it’s Miller time. I return Charlie to his cage, and as a reward for his good service, fill the bottle cap up with Moon Man for his enjoyment. He laps it up eagerly as I drink along with him. I decide that it is only fitting that he helps to review this beer with me. I ask him what he thinks, and he stares at me rather woozily, his mouth sporting a foam mustache. I cannot tell whether his condition is from the beer he just consumed or the bonk on the head he recently received, probably a combination of both. But after a time he finally manages to utter a rather hearty squeak. I can’t help but agree. Two big squeaks for Moon Man Ale.

Very good and exceptionally sessionable Pale Ale. Fruity hops of fruit punch, oranges, tangerines and citrus. Very light but stable malt backbone of honey and caramel. Delicious.

4.16/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Look: Very clear, gold, small bubbles.

Smell: Not much smell. sweet.

Taste: Balanced between hops and malts. More hoppy aftertaste.

Feel: crisp. Smooth.

Overall: Solid beer, but nothing stands out as great. Seems like a good beer on a hot day.

3.86/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Consumed 1/19/16

A: Medium gold with some hints at light orange, tangerine - crystal clear - pours with a small white head, fades to a few wisps, retains a small collar, leaves some spots and streaks of lacing

S: Light and clean - some light citrus, with orange and grapefruit zest - hints of tropical fruit - New Glarus' yeast strain, with some earthy characters - mild pale malts at the base, light bread, crackers, touch of caramel

T: Mild and super drinkable - light citrus flavor, with some orange and grapefruit, hints of juice, zest - floral citrus - lightly herbal, grassy - touch of lemon - some yeasty character, lightly earthy, touch of spice - clean, dry, and well-attenuated with minimal sweetness - pale malts, pale grains, crackers, light bread

M: Light to medium body, crisp, medium carbonation, dry finish

O: Wisconsin Pale Ale

This is a beer engineered for easy drinking. It's actually well-balanced, with mild hops and mild malts. It's very clean and light but in no way watery. Just drink it and eat some cheese.

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 10/22/2015. Pours slightly hazy/cloudy golden yellow color with a 2 finger dense and rocky white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Great dense soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Awesome appearance. Aromas of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, mango, melon, lemon zest, orange peel, pine, cracker, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of bright citrus/tropical/piney hops and light-moderate pale malt notes; with great strength. Taste of big grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, mango, melon, lemon zest, orange peel, pine, cracker, bread, and floral/grassy earthiness. Light-moderate pine/grassy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, peach, mango, lemon/orange peel, pine, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a while. Damn nice complexity, robustness, and balance of bright citrus/tropical/piney hops and light-moderate pale malt flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero astringent hop flavors after the finish. Light-moderate dryness from bitterness that increases through the glass. Medium carbonation and light-medium body; with a very smooth, moderately crisp/sticky, and lightly creamy/bready mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is very well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 5%. Overall this is an excellent pale ale. All around great complexity, robustness, and balance of bright citrus/tropical/piney hops and light-moderate pale malt flavors; and very smooth, crisp, and refreshing to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

3.99/5  rDev -2.9%

Light frothy off-white head, one finger that dissolves swiftly forming surface dimples, thin yet long lacing streaks. Bright metallic orange hued liquid, you can see one or two isolated bubbles slowly meander upwards. The nose is pretty sour with sour orange to lemon peel, sour baked dough and a dry leafiness, takes some warming to release the apricot, pear fruit scents, light saltiness, the overall perfume has a steady lift. Light to medium-bodied, lively carbonation gives it a pleasing prickle, skips across the palate. Energetic citrus zest, all lemon, orange and tangerine supplemented by a demure floral musk. Minor bread to yeast tones, subdued maltiness too, echoes of cocoa or mocha at the end. Through the mid-palate the apricot, peach fruit grows exponentially, achieves close to fruit cobbler sweetness. Attractively put together and rates high for sessionability.

Moon Man No Coast Pale Ale from New Glarus Brewing Company