Two Women Lager | New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
newglarusbrewing.com

Style: German Pilsener

The collaboration of two Craft companies both led by women, New Glarus Brewing and Weyermann Malting, is unique. You hold the result “Two Women” a Classic Country Lager brewed with Weyermann’s floor malted Bohemian malt and Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops. A tempting and graceful classic lager found…Only in Wisconsin!

Added by levifunk on 04-11-2010

4.3

Ratings: 1,468 |  Reviews: 316
3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

thanks to my friend from rockford il for the 2 women sample. this beer is everything that a solid lager can be. to me, it represents the simple, yet fresh and enjoyable, taste that can be created with water, malt, hops, and yeast. it has a full, rich taste profile and goes well with just about any food from nachos to burgers. so easy to drink...i will gladly have this brew again.

4.75/5  rDev +24%

2.95/5  rDev -23%

12 fl oz bottle with branded pressure cap and cute simple label art served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high; I love a lot of beers from New Glarus. "Lager." Brewed with Bohemian malt and Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops. A collaboration with...Weyermann? This has me worried; I visited Weyermann and had a lot of beers from their pilot system - most of which were terrible.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with salted hard pretzels.

A: Pours a three finger beige colour head of nice soft cream, nice thickness, and good (4+ minute) retention. Body colour is a vibrant clear gold. Translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks pretty good for a German Pilsener/lager. Probably one of the top 5 best appearances for a German Pilsener I've ever seen.

Sm: Hrm. I'm not big on the aroma. Light smoked malt. Grainy as hell. Grassy. Minimal hopping - floral only. A bit of bread/cracker notes. There's an off-note here and I'm none too keen on it. I also get some adjunct I can't quite place. No yeast or alcohol is detectable. An above average strength aroma.

T: It's a bit...salty? Yes, slightly gose-esque. That shouldn't be in a pilsener. Light bready notes. Grainy as hell. Minimal, imperceptible floral hops. The finish is grainier than the body. Slightly imbalanced. I'm just not a fan of how this is built; I think it's just my personal tastes. Simple and a bit bland. What little is there I'm not a fan of. A pilsener should be refreshing; this isn't. Not liking this, as much as I want to.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but it coarsens in the second and third acts. Slightly overcarbonated, reducing drinkability. Unrefreshing. A bit too thick for the style. It only sort of suits the flavour profile; this needs work. Not at all creamy.

Dr: Far from New Glarus' best work, but I blame Weyermann. I wouldn't get this one again, especially for the $3.99 pricetag here in L.A. Unfortunately, this is one New Glarus offering you can skip. It's not up to their standards.

Low C

***
12/23/16 2nd impressions from a bottle:

AROMA: Well hopped with Hallertau, but surprisingly spicy and peppery from the yeast. A bit fruity as well, reminding me of Piraat with its subtlety and nuance.

TASTE & TEXTURE: Fruity in spite of having a clean lager yeast taste. Crisp refreshing feel. Balanced and enjoyable, with more subtlety than I gave it credit for in my last review.

Nice depth of flavour. Soft. Smooth and wet.

OVERALL: Highly drinkable fare with a nice fruitiness and a crowd pleasing taste. Nice but not stellar work from the brewery I consider the finest in North America.

Low B- / WORTHY

***
07.29.17 Bottle:

C+ / ABOVE AVERAGE

3.96/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to Lukaski for picking this up for me on his last trip North.

Pale amber in color with a quick, off-white head. Pretty good bubbling.

Mild toasted malt aroma. Crackers maybe a little bread crust. Hints of grassy hops. Smells, crisp, flavorful, and refreshing.

Toasty malt forward. Toasty crackers mix up with grassy, earthy hops on the finish. Pretty good carbonation bubbling on the tongue too. Crisp, malty, but well balanced, and very easy to drink. Would be a regular go to beer if I could get my hands on it in IL.

Two Women Lager from New Glarus Brewing Company