R&D Gueuze | New Glarus Brewing Company

Style: American Wild Ale

1,900 bottles
Brewed March 24, 2009
Bottled August 6, 2010

Brewed in the tradition of the Lambics of Belgium but using a blend of Ale Yeast, Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, Pediococcus, and Acetobacter. These microorganisms came from our culture collection as well as many collected by Dan around the wilds of Wisconsin! Fermented and aged in Oak. This beer spent the summer of 2009 aging outdoors in used oak barrels, then bottle fermented.

Added by alcstradamus on 07-30-2010

Reviews: 96 | Ratings: 184
4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance: Clean golden goodness with bubbles.
Smell: A little funky and sour but good.
Taste: There is a prominent sour taste.
Mouth feel: This has a clean feel. My tongue tingled a little when sipping on this sour beer.
Drink ability: I really enjoyed drinking this clean and crisp sour beer...a lot.

4.57/5  rDev +11.7%

First off, I have to recognize the ever generous zimmerbloke for hooking me up with this rarity from the mid-west. Thanks Matt. Shared the 16.9 ounce bottle with my wife. Poured into tulips.

Pour is pale gold with top notch clarity. There exists a nice two finger rocky snow white head that quickly recedes to a wisp ring around the glasses inside. No lacing exists but none was expected.
On the nose we have boat loads of vanilla, some raw wood, sour stone fruit, and lactic goodness. The promise of a great sour has been made!

This might just be the single most sour beer I've had to date! My skin literally prickled on my arms as I took my first sip! Goose bump causing sourness aside, a little peach, under-ripe grapes, and copious vanilla dance on the palate. A little graham cracker sweetness makes a cameo on the finish. Really, really, good flavors from top to bottom.

Spritzy, prickly carbonation help this finish clean and encourages another taste! This would be great with some spicy stir fry.

I love me some sour beers. The only qualm I have is that they are so highly drinkable, I always find my glass empty before I'm ready for it to be. This beer is no exception. Really fantastic brew. I've yet to find a New Glarus beer I don't thoroughly enjoy.

4.04/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle into a flute.

A: White, soda-pop head quickly dissipates into nothing. Fizzy body with a transparent, cider hue. Plenty of carbonation rising up through the glass.

S: Sour, sweet, and a bit musty. There might be a hint of metallic tang to the nose, too. Definite hints of not-unappealing plastic.

T: Quite tart in the beginning, a bit sweet in the middle, and with solid but not overpowering barnyard taste. Lactic and acetic acid; the funk definitely tastes like my gym bag smells, or maybe a used bandage--the sort of gross beauty of gueuze.

M: Very carbonated, thin, pop-like mouthfeel. It helps the acidity, for sure. Not much to chew on, though.

D: If you like gueuze, this is one of the best American versions, but it's not quite as well-honed as those from the stylistic homeland. A great R&D beer, and I hope they bring out similar things soon--a noble attempt like this will hopefully yield better results in the near future.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

Thanks to Scott for hooking me up with a couple bottles of this "gueuze".

A: The pour is a golden orange color, much like the real thing, with an initially fluffy white head that dies down to a thin layer of foam.

S: A soft, but enjoyable, funk character to this beer. Mostly grass and straw notes with a slight lactic tartness. There is a bit of an apple juice character that provides some sweetness, but also some green apple for some more mild acidity.

T: The tartness is moderate, not quite as intense and puckering as many a traditional gueuze, but sufficient. Lemon and green apple provide some fruit notes, and a bit of a grassy character is present. There is an unfortunate metallic aftertaste, however.

M: The mouthfeel is actually quite appropriate. Medium body with a high carbonation that really resembles a true gueuze quite well.

D: Of course, I'd still prefer to open up a Cantillon Gueueze or Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueuze, but this was a good effort. The metallic quality sort of ruined it, though.

4.32/5  rDev +5.6%

This is my second of the R&D beers sent to me in a package by Translucent. Thanks again!

Appearance- Pours a largely translucent golden appropriate for the style with about a half finger of fizzy head that dies back to some patchy layering in fairly short order.

Smell- Wow, a surprisingly fruity nose with a lot of pear, green apple, and grapeskin. A whiff of lactic acidity on the finish of the nose.

Taste- Again, very fruity. For me, this fruitiness really comes across as an almost pear-like flavor, though the green grapeskin and apple is also there. Not overly tart does finish with some acidity. There is also a little bit of something on the end that I was almost describe as a buttery-ness. Doesn't take away really but I would say that it surprised me a bit and didn't really seem to fit in.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is not overly carbonated or thin and good for the style. Drinkability is also quite good as well and was by no means an acid bomb.

Overall, a very enjoyable beer from New Glarus. I'm really enjoying this R&D series, though I would have to say that of the three, this one comes in third for me so far. Nevertheless, very enjoyable.

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Very clear apart from a good chunk of residual haze/well flocculated yeast that slipped in. Very little head, just pinpoint bubbles. Bright golden with great active carbonation. 4/5

S: Robust sour, belies what's actually inside. Mildly sulfuric, but really seems more like a food aroma than a beer or even wine aroma. 3.5/5

T: WOAH. Intensely sour and sharp. Black cherry, sour apply. No sulfur, and no really bad tastes. Best "sour" taste I've had. 4.5

M: Neds more carbonation in the body, but overall it's nicer, lighter. 3.5

D: Even my wife could get behind this one a little. 4

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%

Bottled August 2010; Sampled September 2010
A solid pour into my large Tripel Karmeliet tulip produces a two finger thick, lightly tan colored head. The beer is a nice gold hue that shows a touch of haze. The aroma has a fruity acetic acid focused note to it up front (that is usually a sign of a poorly made Gueuze in Belgium). A dried, grassy grain notes in the finish intermingle with a lactic acidity that is a bit more usual. Musty, definitely musky and this has a certain urea like quality to it. the funkiness reminds me a bit of phenolic soaked and sweat dried old blankets. This really has a nice, grain driven, hay like / pale cracker character to it that comes through more as one gets used to the acid and funkiness. Even towards the end of my glass the pale grain character still plays a large role; I really like this somehow rustic seeming grain character here in the nose.

My first sip is sharply acidic up front, not just from the usual suspects but also from an effervescent, fizzy carbonation. This is more tart than I was expecting and thankfully is more lactic focused than I had worried it would be (based on the initial aroma). There is a touch of acetic character here, but only just and it is perfectly in line with the norm of a well made Gueuze; light perfuming the character and boosting a perception of fruit in this beer. The long finish sees a lingering, pail grain character sticking to the palate; dried hay and an almost oatmeal like raw grain dustiness showcase the wheat and pale malt and outlasts the acidity on the tongue. This doesn't quite have the lactic / oak texture of a phenomenal Gueuze, but the light body, prickly carbonation and easy drinking character of this beer is still quite a treat. As the beer warms up a couple more things become apparent; first off a very soft, suggestion of sweetness starts to be noticed; this is fleeting as at other times it remains bone dry and I think this is purely a perception from the hint of acetic character that is here. Secondly a subtle oak character starts to come out; a hint of oak spice and woody flavor is contributed towards the finish, it is very well integrated with the other flavors and is perhaps a touch more subtle than its actual influence warrants.

This is much, much better than I was expecting; the texture is perhaps a touch lacking, and the beer could use a bit more complexity in the flavor department, but this is a really nice, American made, example of a Gueuze. I can't wait to see what subsequent releases turn out like as the beer is continued to be blended by previous batches.

Ahhh, the Wisconsin Holy Grail. Not to be confused with the Wisconsin Ark of the Covenant (R&D BB Kriek)...

A - It pours a beautiful shimmering golden hue, capped with a delicate smattering of white lace.

S - There is a slight smokiness that is immediately apparent. Also a juicy white grape aroma. It does not smell like a Gueuze; it seems like an exquisitely nuanced fruit beer.

T - The perceptions of the nose are completely reinforced by the flavor. It tastes very delicious, I must say. I could drink gallons of this; it satiates my beer side and my white wine side, too. As far as a Gueuze, it is not particularly compelling, though it could as easily be claimed as a Wild Ale, Berliner, or fruit beer. None of those designations is particularly apt or appropriate, however, save for the latter. Flavors: floral, buttery, smoke and peat, strong chardonnay grapes. Tartness is mild to moderate.

M - It is definitely way chuggable, and has a mouthwatering finish.

D - Nice stuff, but I wouldn't trade the crib for it.

3.53/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to both nerd and Arbitrator for sharing bottles.

Golden-amber, fairly clear and bright with a small white head. The aroma is interesting, very musty and cheesy, almost salty; the lactic quality reminds me distinctly of sour cream. There's also a solid foundation of damp oak. The palate is quite sour up front, very lactic and even a bit creamy. Lemony with musty/funky oak, grain husk and cheesy lactic acid. Light in body, pretty refreshing and unusual. Lactic and lemony finish with a lingering sour cream character. Pretty enjoyable overall, clearly not an authentic gueuze, but even taken as an American sour it doesn't quite stack up against the best.

4.06/5  rDev -0.7%

500mL bottle courtesy of enelson. The label states it was bottled 8-6-10, with the following notes: "Following the lambic tradition, this beer was spontaneously fermented in oak barrels outside our brewery for over a year, then bottle conditioned."

The beer is clear, a light orange color with an SRM of maybe 4-5. About 2 fingers of large celled foam on the pour, which faded to not even a ring after 5 minutes, no lacing.

The aroma is really nice, wild and "bretty", with a caramel maltiness that reminds me a little of Consecration. Not directly comparable at all, it just seemed to have that note in it. Maybe a little fruit character too, there's some je ne sais quoi in there that works nicely.

It tastes tart and mildly sour with a strong saltiness that defines even more than the tartness. The fruits are there in the aftertaste, peaches & apples, maybe a little cidery.

Nice peppery carbonation and light body. Overall a good gueuze/wild ale, I still prefer others from Belgium but not bad at all.

4.42/5  rDev +8.1%

Bottle to a snifter.

A: Golden Color, Semi small ring of head.

S: Heavy Oak, Champagne like aromas, Grape, Vanilla, Spice. Very Nice bouquet.

T: Awesome. Tart but not super tart, a dry vanilla and oak flavor that goes way beyond just being 'sour.' Well balanced and excellent mature tasting beer.

M: Bubbly and dry, nice medium feel. Great and correct to the style.

D: Great, a beer to remember.

3.53/5  rDev -13.7%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Like the R&D Kriek, I tried this twice; once via nerd, and once out of a bottle traded to me by Wisconsinality.

A: Pours a golden orange body with a finger of off-white head that sticks around and leaves trails of lace down my snifter.

S: Oak, lemon peel, green apple. Like its cousin, the R&D kriek, there isn't a ton of bacterial character. But it is there; I pick up a light barnyard funk.

T: Mild lactic sourness, tart green apple, a touch of funk, oak, orange peel. A touch of spice in the finish. The beer has a mild cereal grain flavor to it that I enjoy. But overall, it feels a bit simple. I was expecting the complexity and maturity of a real gueuze; something that feels like you ground up a horse blanket and leather boots, then strained some water through the mixture and bottled it. This just doesn't capture that flavor. It's not bad, but I can't suggest it's anywhere near a 5 for a wild ale.

M: Crisp, dry mouthfeel. Carbonation is medium-high with a good scrubbing presence.

D: I liked the beer, but I guess I was expecting something more like Lambicus Dexterius when I saw it billed as a true gueuze. Quibbles over spontaneous fermentation aside, my expectations of a particular flavor profile weren't met. It's still good, and (IMO) better than the Bourbon Barrel Kriek.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured into Lost Abbey Snifter.

Pours about a finger of clean white head. Fades down a bit but good retention from there. Some active carbonation in the glass. Color is a bright golden orange.

Aroma: Very sweet with a lot of fruit flavors. I get a lot of muskmelon flavors and lemon citrus. A bit of funk, but mainly sour. A hint of tart cherries. The funk comes at the very end and isn't too apparent.

Taste: Fairly tart and sour with a dry funkiness to it. The fruits are more sweet with the melon sticking out the most. Some light medicinal flavors with hints of horseblanket. Lemon zest and cherries. It has some oak showing. It is pretty good, but different from Belgian gueuzes. The aftertaste of sharp cheese or basement musk.

Mouthfeel: Tart with a mild funkiness. A bit fizzy with a medium amount carbonation. A lighter body for this one. Ends fairly clean.

Overall, I like the classification of American wild ale on this one. It has a few differences that really make it hard to compare to something like cantillon classic. It is a really nice beer, however. Pretty drinkable. I am really happy to see something like this made in the midwest.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Bottle. Was lucky enough to grab a bottle at the release. Pours nice clear golden straw color with a fluffy white head that collars around the glass and leaves a nice lace as it settles. The aroma is a nice blend of both sweet fruit flavors, sour lacto notes, and funky brett horse blanket. Some floral notes as well. Light mouthfeel with good carbonation. Lemon sour softness is the firsth thing I taste, not overly sour but sour enough to take notice. Sweet as well similiar to a green sour apple. Ends pretty cleanly and crisply with a slight lingering sour/funky taste. Some oak notes as well. Is it a classic gueuze or should it just be called an American Wild? Who knows, I really don't care BUT what I do care about is that it is pretty tasty and I am glad I got to try it!

3.51/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

500ml bottle thanks to Arbitrator.

This "gueuze" pours a clear copper color, dark and clear for the style with a two finger white head and a nice big ring on the glass.

Aroma is sweet malt, oak, and green apple. Not much funk to it really.

The flavor is nice sweet pale malt, sour cream (largerdeer suggested it but it's true), apple, and only a little tart funk.

Medium-bodied with average carbonation and not nearly enough acidity.

A good enough beer, but come on, this is not a gueuze. So far off-style it's not even funny.

4.87/5  rDev +19.1%

Presentment - One bottle, received as a gift. I like the old fashioned, hand-numbered bottle. This beer was available for only a very limited time, and I was very fortunate to get a bottle from a friend.

A - Cloudy. Presents nice in the old fashioned brown bottle.

S - Wonderful sour funk. Not as strong as the best Belgian geuzes, but very terrific by American standards. Just one whiff tells me it's a geuze.

T - My favorite thing about this beer was the taste. Sour without being overwhelming. Not as complicated as an authentic European geuze, but very close -- and way superior to almost all domestic American sour beers I've tasted. (Off the top of my head, only Russian River has better.)

M - Just a bit thinner than it should be. But otherwise goes down nice. This geuze (were it still available) would be an excellent choice for when I want a delicious sour beer just goes down quickly -- such as while watching football.

D - Overall, this is one of the best domestic american sours I've ever had. Everything about the experience was delightful. From the feel of the old fashioned bottle, to the sour funk, to the taste in my mouth, it was all perfect. I'm quite surprised that even a good brewer like New Glarus got this one so right on the first try. I hope they make it again, and perhaps consider adding it to their seasonal lineup.

3.81/5  rDev -6.8%

500ml bottle poured into New Glarus champagne flute. Bottled 8.6.10.

Pours a yellow golden color with about a half inch of fluffy white head which fades quickly and leaves very little lacing. A LOT of bubbles stream to the top of the glass.

Smells of barnyard funk with some lemon notes.

Taste is of sour apples, lemons and the brett funkiness. The sourness that remains on my lips reminds me slightly of those sour Warheads candies I had when I was a kid except without the insane sugar rush afterwards.

Mouth feel is smooth with a lot of carbonation. As I mentioned earlier, there are a lot of bubbles in the pour. Light and crisp, it is very drinkable.

Because this was the first sour I have ever had, it took a few sips for me to get used to the sourness of it. Definitely an acquired taste, but a very tasty beer.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

500ml bottle, split

appearance: sweet R&D label design - served in ale asylum chalice, straw-golden body, foamy white cap but no retention

smell: grass, tart lemon, citrusy sugar, hay, oak, funky but more restrained than some belgian examples.

taste: tart lemon, peach, funky yeast that will develop nicely over time, hay and grass, sugary candy, high acidity. Very nice sour offering - i'm not one to downplay a rating for skewing from a style while still being great as i think some are quick to do. It cant stand up to Cantillon Gueuze (nothing can) but its a great american sour that remains distinctly new glarus.

mouthfeel: tart, tongue twisting, light and crisp

drinkability: good

4.73/5  rDev +15.6%

A - A deep yellow-gold color with thin but persistent lace-like white head (which starts off at a couple of fingers due to its surprisingly high level of carbonation).

S - Mostly lemongrass with a bit or brett. Quite a bit more mild than the horseblanket wallop I was expecting for a beer that bills itself as a gueze. Pleasant, but nothing truly stand-out

T - First hit with a wave of moderate lemon and and apple sourness, with hints of a brett funk. Finishes with a sweeter lemon-grass taste. It makes the sort of transition that Flemish reds attempt, but with far more grace. Delicious both as a sour and a non-sour.

M - Nice and crisp, with a good amount of carbonation. Almost feels like a soured cider.

D - I almost never buy the same beer twice. If I could get this locally and regularly, I would surely make an exception. I would however make sure to have it before getting to stronger sours, stouts, or hop bombs if it is part of a tasting line-up.

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours a bright yellow with a bit of a white head. Smell immediately makes quite a bit of funk apparent, although it's not nearly as integrated as I get from the exemplars of the style. A bit of hay and ever-so-slight sourness. Taste brings forth a bit of horse blanket and some dry wheat. Hopefully it's just the age, but it's not terribly complex at this stage. This carries over into the mouthfeel, which isn't nearly as dry and funky as many Belgian counterparts. Drinkability is good, and I'm left wondering what this might become; or, better yet, what New Glarus might end up making if it continues down this road and creates a larger number of barrels/batches to blend.

3.58/5  rDev -12.5%

9/17/2010

Thanks to Mike (Overlord) for sharing. The Law of Equipoise must be restored in the near future.

A: Mountainous frothy white head atop a hazed golden body, good retention, scattered lacing.

S: Lemon, oak, moderately sweet, moderately acidic. There's a light Brett presence and an inchoate funk character to the beer. A restrained lactic sourness is evident as well as some phenolic and acetone notes.

F: Sweet and lightly tart lemon with notes of oak and very little funk, maybe a dash of musty character. The sourness is mostly lactic and it comes across as sort of simple. The finish is lactic and lightly acidic lemony oak.

M: Crisp and dry with upper moderate carbonation.

Overall: I think this was a decent American Wild Ale, but calling it a Gueuze does it a disservice as it lacks the intricacies and various qualities that I associate with the style. I'm a big New Glarus fan, but this isn't one of their better beers and wasn't what I'd hoped.

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

This was a exceptional beer obtained from klikger thank you again.

This is a excellent representation of the style.

A - Yellow golden hue wipy head with lots of bubbles comming to the top.

S - slight grass slight lemon smell.

T - tart and sour. Those into sours will absolutely love this it is really good.

M - Leaves a nice tingly sensation with a nice puckering mouth feel after drinking.

D - Worth having given the abvs would love to have regualarly.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a head, which after a careful pour, rose to two fingers; nice clumpage around the chalice, though the retention was not particularly long

Smell: Lactic yoghurt, apple skins, lemons and barnyard funk

Taste: All of the elements of the aroma come together right up front, leaving an overwhelming impression of tart yoghurt, with an oaky/vanilla character developing by mid-palate; after the swallow, the tartness lifts up another notch and the finish is very acidic

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation; mouth-puckering

Drinkability: Despite the label, BA characterizes this as an American Wild; I agree with that and that is how I will rate it - top notch in that category

Thanks, DP34, for the opportunity

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Bottle shared by Kan, thanks dude!

A - Pours a light golden yellow, white fizzy head which dissipates into a few bubbles here and there. No lacing, no retention.

S - Decent amount of funk, sour notes, slight barnyard. Nothing mind blowing here, but very solid.

T - Medium funk, sour/tart, slight barnyard, oak, some citrus notes. All very solid and well done. Slightly sour finish.

M - Light, crisp, champagne-esk carbonation, dry finish.

D - I really like this one. From what I've been told, this will be the base beer for future sours from NG. I think that's awesome because I heart this beer. Recommend.

Thanks Tpatuto!

Pours a light gold. Maybe half an inch of bubbling foam. Little bubbles and a thin white crust last a while.

Smells lightly of oak, big-ly of lemon zest, a bit of musty barnyard funk. Mmm....smells good.

Tastes even better. I'm going to buck the reviewing trend and say this is clearly better than the bourbon barrel kriek. Taste is more strongly of oak, some crazy musty tones that I really didn't expect from the aroma. Lots of barnyard mustiness for you funk fanatics. Lemon and spiderwebs of various notes of acidity make an appearance. Is that a faint aftertaste of ... honey? Some sort of sweet fruit? Interesting in such a sour beer.

Very drinkable.