R&D Bourbon Barrel Kriek | New Glarus Brewing Company

newglarusbrewing.com

Style: American Wild Ale

August 2010 Release
1,500 Bottles

Ale infused with a large dose of sour cherries. Fermented in an Oak Vat using a blend of Ale Yeast and Lactobacillus. Then aged in freshly dumped bourbon barrels.

Added by alcstradamus on 07-30-2010

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

500 ml bottle split and poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip. Batch 5 bbl, Brewed 1.18.10, O.G. 13°P, Bottled 8.6.10, ABV 5.5%, IBUs 12.

Infinity thanks to Beerwolf77 for picking a bottle of this up for me AND sharing a bottle with me! You're my #1 ninja Todd!

A - Clear as crystal and ruby brown-red is brilliant looking with a big three-finger head from a tall pour. Good retention with some good lace left over.

S - Phenomenal aroma of mixed spice and mild funk. The funk is mildly reminiscent of barnyard but is overshadowed by equally mild tart cherry and raspberry and general berry fruitiness. A fantastic barrel aroma of very mild bourbon comes through as well. This aroma is fan-freakin'-tastic!

T - Oh wow. Very mild sour funkiness adds fantastic layers of undertones to this complex and orgasmic flavor. Yes, orgasmic. Tart cherry and raspberry blends so well with a very tiny splash of bourbon barrel. I can't stop drinking it!

M - Smooth and soft initially with a great tart and sour balance to the finish. I can't believe how good this goes down. Smooth and very lightly carbonated to the perfect level.

D - Well, I can't give this anything less than a 5 in drinkability since I have to hold myself back from just drinking the whole thing immediately instead of savoring it sip by sip. Once again Dan Carey proves that he knows fruit beers inside and out. Hot damn, this is one of the best beers I've ever had.

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured into a Russian River Belgian tulip glass.

The beer pours out an extremely clear, medium ruby red/amber. There is basically no head present.

The aroma is filled with bourbon, cherries, a little oak, and some hay-like notes. The mouthfeel is medium with a fairly high level of carbonation.

The flavors consist of bourbon, cherries, and some sweet caramel initially, followed by a strong tart sourness that ends in a dry finish.

This is one wonderful mix of flavors! The dry finish makes it very drinkable. The sourness is prominent, but not out of control. A wonderful beer.

4.84/5  rDev +14.4%

I almost don't want to write this review. It's going to look like a huge steaming pile of homerism. God damn you NG! Why must your fruit beers be so delicious?

Bottle split and poured into my duvel tulip the beer is redish brown with about a finger of beige head. Spotty lace left behind.

The aroma is heaven in a glass. Tart cherries mixed with wood, vanilla, pie crusts and light bourbon. It reminds me of a mix of Belgian Red, Cranbic and Enigma. Which pretty much blows my mind. Since those are three of the finest fruit beers in existance.

The flavor is pretty much right where the nose led me. Pure tart cherry goodness. Hints of barrel, vanilla, pie crust and light bourbon. About as tasty as a beer can get in my eyes.

Medium to light body with light carbonation.

Overall simply devine. I could drink this by the gallon. I was finished with my glass before I had even fished writing. That almost never happens. I could not stop drinking it. I hope that Dan Carey can some how be persauded into brewing this again. Then put in 750's so I can guzzle it.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a 500 ml into a snifter. Split with airohead2001.

A: Pours an amber color with a little bit of ruby red in there as well. A vigorous pour yields a ½ finger off-white head that fades into a swirl of bubbles with a nice crown. Moderate lacing.

S: Ahhhh, cherries and bourbon a terrific smelling beer. Both the bourbon and cherries are superbly balanced on the nose. I also get a sweetness that is reminiscent of sugar in the raw.

T: I have a couple variations of Russian river that I have yet to try sitting in the fridge so I won't be able to compare to the "gold standard" as of yet, but I must say this is one fine beer! As with the nose, the taste is a wonderful balance of bourbon a sour cherries to start and bourbon at the finish. Some vanilla in there as well. One of the best tasting beers I have ever had.

M: This aspect too is Spot on, as the beer has perfect viscosity, Perfect carbonation, and Great aftertaste.

D: While they already had a lot of success with Wisconsin Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart, this beer, in my mind, catapults New Glarus to the forefront of any beer containing fruit. Simply exceptional beer.

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Sampled: 01/19/2011
Type: 500ml. Bottle
Vintage: 2010
Glassware: DFH Tulip

This brew pours a light reddish/brown mahoghany in color w/ a skim coat off white head, that surprisingly leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass. The nose brings aromas of souring cherries, oak, light bourbon, and spices. Tastes pretty much on par, sour cherry and a touch of funk up front, and a finish of oak, bourbon, and warming vanilla. Medium bodied and lush. I could drink this brew all day as I find the flavors very complimentary and appealing. This brew seems alot bigger than the 5.50% ABV listing leads on.

Overall, this is a fantastic brew that I would drink as much of as possible. Not your typical kriek by any means. A little out of the style category, but who cares, it's a tasty brew. This is the second sampling of this beer that I have had and the bourbon/vanilla notes have seemingly faded a bit, bringing the sour notes more forefront. Additional aging should make this brew even better and maybe put alot of the naysayers to bed. Too bad it is a one off and so hard to acquire.

4.79/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance - Dark amber. Clear. Thin off-white not very persistent head.

Smell - Funky cherries and rich malt. A whiff of bourbon and vanilla. Unique.

Taste - Tart cherries are, unsurprisingly, the most prominent flavor. Bourbon, vanilla, and a little bit of funk also appear. A different take on the cherry beer from New Glarus' other products, but in my view no less exceptional.

Mouthfeel - Medium. Smooth and crisp.

Drinkability - New Glarus does a fine job with fruit beers and this one is no exception. Indeed, I believe I prefer this to any of New Glarus' other fruit beers (with the possible exception of Cranbic) - that's saying a lot. Unique and well worth the relatively hefty price.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

Picked up a couple bottles of this gem at New Glarus on my way to The Great Taste of the Midwest. My new beer budget was shattered this weekend but totally worth it for any New Glarus release. Drank from my New Glarus 'Drink Indigenous' pint glass while grilling up some tasty steaks.

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear shade of copper yellow with a decent one finger bright white head. Small collar sticks around that manages to deposit a couple threads of lacing here and there.
Smell- Very fruity smelling with that Belgium Red shell oozing from this beer. Sort of tart and ripe with a fresh cherry aspect that only New Glarus (and somewhat Selin's Grove) can pull off. Nothing smells particularly Kriek like at the moment as it's just the cherries and a bit of bourbon. Definitely smells woodier than I expected as it warms with MAYBE the lightest touch of vanilla.
Taste- I get a fruity blast of tart Montmorency cherries that is quickly whisked away by an aggressive bite of barrel. The bourbon isn't hiding here as it's quickly the dominate factor of the beer. There is always a light snippet of cherry in my mouth but the fresh fruitiness is definitely subdued. A rather aggressive bit of caramel is present as well is some vanilla. The finish is woody and robust with a bit more vanilla and a lightly buttery note.
Mouthfeel- Medium body that is damn near perfect with a very light bit of carbonation. Nice lightly creamy feel overall.
Drinkability- If you're a fan of Belgium Red you are either going to love this beer or totally despise it. The base is still there but the wood and bourbon have taken it their own way. I'm assuming this will sour up a bit with some time and I can't wait. A bit more bite will tighten this little gem right up. I really look forward to future reviews to see what people have to say about this - especially you sour purists.

R&D Bourbon Barrel Kriek from New Glarus Brewing Company