R&D Bourbon Barrel Kriek | New Glarus Brewing Company

newglarusbrewing.com

Style: American Wild Ale

August 2010 Release
1,500 Bottles

Ale infused with a large dose of sour cherries. Fermented in an Oak Vat using a blend of Ale Yeast and Lactobacillus. Then aged in freshly dumped bourbon barrels.

Added by alcstradamus on 07-30-2010

Reviews: 84 | Ratings: 151
4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

500 ml bottle split and poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip. Batch 5 bbl, Brewed 1.18.10, O.G. 13°P, Bottled 8.6.10, ABV 5.5%, IBUs 12.

Infinity thanks to Beerwolf77 for picking a bottle of this up for me AND sharing a bottle with me! You're my #1 ninja Todd!

A - Clear as crystal and ruby brown-red is brilliant looking with a big three-finger head from a tall pour. Good retention with some good lace left over.

S - Phenomenal aroma of mixed spice and mild funk. The funk is mildly reminiscent of barnyard but is overshadowed by equally mild tart cherry and raspberry and general berry fruitiness. A fantastic barrel aroma of very mild bourbon comes through as well. This aroma is fan-freakin'-tastic!

T - Oh wow. Very mild sour funkiness adds fantastic layers of undertones to this complex and orgasmic flavor. Yes, orgasmic. Tart cherry and raspberry blends so well with a very tiny splash of bourbon barrel. I can't stop drinking it!

M - Smooth and soft initially with a great tart and sour balance to the finish. I can't believe how good this goes down. Smooth and very lightly carbonated to the perfect level.

D - Well, I can't give this anything less than a 5 in drinkability since I have to hold myself back from just drinking the whole thing immediately instead of savoring it sip by sip. Once again Dan Carey proves that he knows fruit beers inside and out. Hot damn, this is one of the best beers I've ever had.

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured into a Russian River Belgian tulip glass.

The beer pours out an extremely clear, medium ruby red/amber. There is basically no head present.

The aroma is filled with bourbon, cherries, a little oak, and some hay-like notes. The mouthfeel is medium with a fairly high level of carbonation.

The flavors consist of bourbon, cherries, and some sweet caramel initially, followed by a strong tart sourness that ends in a dry finish.

This is one wonderful mix of flavors! The dry finish makes it very drinkable. The sourness is prominent, but not out of control. A wonderful beer.

4.84/5  rDev +14.4%

I almost don't want to write this review. It's going to look like a huge steaming pile of homerism. God damn you NG! Why must your fruit beers be so delicious?

Bottle split and poured into my duvel tulip the beer is redish brown with about a finger of beige head. Spotty lace left behind.

The aroma is heaven in a glass. Tart cherries mixed with wood, vanilla, pie crusts and light bourbon. It reminds me of a mix of Belgian Red, Cranbic and Enigma. Which pretty much blows my mind. Since those are three of the finest fruit beers in existance.

The flavor is pretty much right where the nose led me. Pure tart cherry goodness. Hints of barrel, vanilla, pie crust and light bourbon. About as tasty as a beer can get in my eyes.

Medium to light body with light carbonation.

Overall simply devine. I could drink this by the gallon. I was finished with my glass before I had even fished writing. That almost never happens. I could not stop drinking it. I hope that Dan Carey can some how be persauded into brewing this again. Then put in 750's so I can guzzle it.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a 500 ml into a snifter. Split with airohead2001.

A: Pours an amber color with a little bit of ruby red in there as well. A vigorous pour yields a ½ finger off-white head that fades into a swirl of bubbles with a nice crown. Moderate lacing.

S: Ahhhh, cherries and bourbon a terrific smelling beer. Both the bourbon and cherries are superbly balanced on the nose. I also get a sweetness that is reminiscent of sugar in the raw.

T: I have a couple variations of Russian river that I have yet to try sitting in the fridge so I won't be able to compare to the "gold standard" as of yet, but I must say this is one fine beer! As with the nose, the taste is a wonderful balance of bourbon a sour cherries to start and bourbon at the finish. Some vanilla in there as well. One of the best tasting beers I have ever had.

M: This aspect too is Spot on, as the beer has perfect viscosity, Perfect carbonation, and Great aftertaste.

D: While they already had a lot of success with Wisconsin Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart, this beer, in my mind, catapults New Glarus to the forefront of any beer containing fruit. Simply exceptional beer.

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Sampled: 01/19/2011
Type: 500ml. Bottle
Vintage: 2010
Glassware: DFH Tulip

This brew pours a light reddish/brown mahoghany in color w/ a skim coat off white head, that surprisingly leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass. The nose brings aromas of souring cherries, oak, light bourbon, and spices. Tastes pretty much on par, sour cherry and a touch of funk up front, and a finish of oak, bourbon, and warming vanilla. Medium bodied and lush. I could drink this brew all day as I find the flavors very complimentary and appealing. This brew seems alot bigger than the 5.50% ABV listing leads on.

Overall, this is a fantastic brew that I would drink as much of as possible. Not your typical kriek by any means. A little out of the style category, but who cares, it's a tasty brew. This is the second sampling of this beer that I have had and the bourbon/vanilla notes have seemingly faded a bit, bringing the sour notes more forefront. Additional aging should make this brew even better and maybe put alot of the naysayers to bed. Too bad it is a one off and so hard to acquire.

4.79/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance - Dark amber. Clear. Thin off-white not very persistent head.

Smell - Funky cherries and rich malt. A whiff of bourbon and vanilla. Unique.

Taste - Tart cherries are, unsurprisingly, the most prominent flavor. Bourbon, vanilla, and a little bit of funk also appear. A different take on the cherry beer from New Glarus' other products, but in my view no less exceptional.

Mouthfeel - Medium. Smooth and crisp.

Drinkability - New Glarus does a fine job with fruit beers and this one is no exception. Indeed, I believe I prefer this to any of New Glarus' other fruit beers (with the possible exception of Cranbic) - that's saying a lot. Unique and well worth the relatively hefty price.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

Picked up a couple bottles of this gem at New Glarus on my way to The Great Taste of the Midwest. My new beer budget was shattered this weekend but totally worth it for any New Glarus release. Drank from my New Glarus 'Drink Indigenous' pint glass while grilling up some tasty steaks.

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear shade of copper yellow with a decent one finger bright white head. Small collar sticks around that manages to deposit a couple threads of lacing here and there.
Smell- Very fruity smelling with that Belgium Red shell oozing from this beer. Sort of tart and ripe with a fresh cherry aspect that only New Glarus (and somewhat Selin's Grove) can pull off. Nothing smells particularly Kriek like at the moment as it's just the cherries and a bit of bourbon. Definitely smells woodier than I expected as it warms with MAYBE the lightest touch of vanilla.
Taste- I get a fruity blast of tart Montmorency cherries that is quickly whisked away by an aggressive bite of barrel. The bourbon isn't hiding here as it's quickly the dominate factor of the beer. There is always a light snippet of cherry in my mouth but the fresh fruitiness is definitely subdued. A rather aggressive bit of caramel is present as well is some vanilla. The finish is woody and robust with a bit more vanilla and a lightly buttery note.
Mouthfeel- Medium body that is damn near perfect with a very light bit of carbonation. Nice lightly creamy feel overall.
Drinkability- If you're a fan of Belgium Red you are either going to love this beer or totally despise it. The base is still there but the wood and bourbon have taken it their own way. I'm assuming this will sour up a bit with some time and I can't wait. A bit more bite will tighten this little gem right up. I really look forward to future reviews to see what people have to say about this - especially you sour purists.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

consumed 9-21-10

it was a complete pleasure to enjoy this. definitely the highlight of the night for me. split multiple ways. fully enjoyed through the last drop, at or around room temperature. thanks johnny!

appearance is brownish ruby, with a thin light head.

smell is buttery graham cracker crust, cherry pie, holy crap.

taste is similar to the smell, no distinct bourbon, really, just a well-integrated buttery and slight woodiness combining with the cherries to create a drink that reminds me of this dish that my mom has made that may only consist of cherries, graham cracker crumbles, and butter. delicious. cherries are mildly tart. the combination is delicious. i couldnt suggest an improvement.

mouthfeel is medium to full, fluffy and decadent.

a few ounces may be the perfect serving. i expect i would have just as easily appreciated a bit more, but i believe a bottle to myself would have been too much of a good thing. i love a sweet (edit: decadent) beer, so there are only praises from me in that respect.

4.63/5  rDev +9.5%

Huge thanks to glazeman for this one. I'm really excited to try it!!

A - dark bloody crimson with light oranges on the edges. No head - just a few bubbles that line the glass.

S - absolutely amazing. Bourbon, vanilla, tart cherries, port wine, toffee, cinnamon, and nutmeg. One of the best beers I have ever smelled. Just perfect.

T - oh my goodness. What a drink. Tart cherries up front with the smoothest bourbon finish I have ever tasted. A sweet vanilla cupcake aftertaste lingers on the palate. This truly tastes like some type of cherry vanilla cookie. This beer is amazing. And yes, in case you are wondering, this blows Supplication out of the water. Again, perfect.

M - waaayyy too much carbonation here initially, but after sitting for a while this one is just right.

D - I need more!!! I could drink at least a liter and a half of this stuff in one sitting.

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

1/15/11. Bottle shared at the Sea Bass going away tasting. Amber/dark reddish pour with a small off-white head. Awesome vanilla BA aromas mixed with fantastic spiced cherry. Light spiced cherry flavor with a hint of vanilla and coconut. This is heaven!

4.57/5  rDev +8%

Shared 500ml bottle with fellow BA, my Father.
From tasting notes.
A: A bold ruby red haze on the body sits below a thin line of off-white head. A very low carbonation is present from the appearance. No lacing, but for style this is just right.
S: A strong note of bourbon attacks the senses and reassures a quality aging process. A wild yeast aroma is also found. A very smooth and aromatic brew this is.
T/M: A bright, bold cherry note, along with a pleasant sweet whiskey notes. A very mellowed out finish with a bit of a acid undertone. This is a very complex flavor profile in this brew.
D: A very drinkable brew, not too sour, but just the right amount sourness. A great overall brew, but with a limit on amount sold and rarity, I was savoring every sip. I could see this NG brew coming back to make a consistent appearance.
Notes: Very, very good. I am not let down by this one, the hype is there for a good reason. I will be aging some to see how it does, so a year from now, and more we will see how it develops.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

500mL bottle poured into a Bells tulip glass. This beer was shares among friends at a recent tasting.

If you are familiar with NG fruit beers then that distinct bright red hue is recognizable. This ones is a mix of red and brown, maybe like a clear Belgian Red. A nice long lasting bright white head tops the beer.

The nose is that trademark tart cherry the New Glarus has used in many a beer (Belgian Red, Cherry Stout, Enigma to some extent) in addition to the cherry a stronger oakiness was present with noticeable vanilla.

In addition to the always welcome tart cherries this beer also had just a kiss of bourbon that complimented the beer. It was so slight that I'm guessing that these weren't first use bourbon barrels. Once again raw oak and vanilla take a supporting role to the dominating cherry in the taste. I'm also picking up just a little bit for tartness than the standard Ng fruit beer. This really is a great beer and just a step above what Belgian Red offers.

The mouthfeel, which is usually great on New Glarus beers, has this weird drying effect on my mouth. Almost like a piece of cotton was placed in my mouth. Drinkability was on par with other NG fruit heavy beers.

I can see so many similarities to Belgian Red in this beer. It almost tastes like they just took Belgian Red and stuck it in a bourbon barrel for number of months. I think this beer would do phenomenally well as a wider release and this seems like maybe a test batch for such a thing. It's really a great fruit forward beer.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into Lost Abbey glassware.

Pours a fizzy white head that settles fast. Color is a clear bright ruby head. A nice color to this one.

Aroma: Sour cherries and lots of them. I get oak and vanilla, and the bourbon hits as I swirl the glass. A really awesome layer added to this beer. It is more tart than funky. I like it... a lot.

Taste: Cherries, oak, vanilla, bourbon. The cherries are tart and the bourbon is warming in a good way. It is tart and sour. Not a lot of funk shows which I like for this beer. It almost has a whiskey flavor to it. The cherries remind of the WI Belgian Red cherries. Door County cherries ftw. Wow, the bourbon is spot on.

Mouthfeel: A light sourness, but the main component is the tartness. A lighter bodied beer with a good amount of carbonation. Ends fairly clean with more cherries.

Overall, I am impressed with this beer. It is amazing. I didn't expect to pick up the bourbon notes as much, but wow do they pull throw and add a nice layer. This is up there as one of my favorite NG beers. Very drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

the heart of the hobo tasting and the reason we came in the first place, the last two in the rnd series i needed to have. served chilled and next to the railroad tracks.

pours out a lovely cherrywood like color with a slight haze and a light pillow head of off white. smooth settling left a nice concentric set of rings around the outside of the glass. very, very well done. aroma of sweet vanilla, oak, bourbon, cherry pulp and brown sugar was just what the doctor ordered. it was the smell you wished your cough medicine had as a kid. just the sweetest of candy flavored goodness. each sip gathered the flavors together and highlighted one or more as it warmed. first initial sips were full of bourbon and vanilla notes, inter twined with the sugary goodness, just really very well done. but as it warmed the cherries really started to show themselves and this became one for the ages. really a wonderful blend of sweet and lightly tart cherry juice, and sugary vanilla that was all reeled together but the oak an bourbon. a masterpiece.

overall i could not be happier with this one. it had just the perfect amount of everything and with the low abv was just what i needed. really one of the best i have had from new glarus for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

First time trying this one and I have to say, it is very good. Glad I picked some up at the brewery.

A: Ruby in color, pours a thin white head that dissipates quickly. Nicely carbonated, bubbles keep emerging to the top.

S: The smell is delicious, cherries and oak. Smells like it will be tart but not overwhelmingly.

T: Similar to the smell, starts out with a nice oak flavor then moves on to the sour cherries, hints of vanilla, a nice sweetness is present as well then a taste of bourbon comes right at the end. There is tartness here but it isn't too strong, very crisp, dry finish.

M: Has a great amount of carbonation in my opinion. Has a slightly syrupy feel to it but in a good way as it isn't too sweet.

D: I could drink tons of this stuff.

O: I really wish there hadn't been a bottle limit, I could definitely use a lot more of these. Another great fruit beer from New Glarus.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a beautiful, perfectly clear orangish-red color with a small amount of slightly off-white head. Looks fantastic in the glass. The nose is a really fun combination of vanilla, oak, slightly macerated sour cherries, and a touch of funk. The taste is great, and not exactly what I was expecting. First, to address the style, this is very mild in funk for a wild ale. It would be better to call this a mildly funky fruit beer. Very mild funk and the tart/sourness of the cherries hit you in the jowls just a bit, but predominantly the flavor is a melding of the macerated sour cherry flavor, and the great compliment of the oak and vanilla from the barrel. Really comes together nicely and is an easy drinker. Strong carbonation and a light medium body are nice on this beer. At times, it comes off as a natural fruit soda, and it actually does work. I ultimately don't care what style this beer allegedly is - it is a really good beer.

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%

500ml bottle poured into snifter.

a - clean and clear golden brown pour. good carbonation. these are beautiful beers.

s - without holding it up to my nose i can smell the cherry and bourbon. subtle hints buried in the bourbon such as vanilla and wood. bourbon is absolutely huge, yet mellow.

t - tart cherry. sweet bourbon flavors; vanilla and caramel. bourbon flavor is great. its refreshing to have a bourbon barrel aged beer that isn't burning with booze. the tart cherry flavor and the sweet bourbon flavors go perfectly together. The only thing this lacks is a real "kriek"-ness to the cherry flavor. Its tart, but I would like a bigger kick. If, with age that happens, I'll give it a 5.

m - medium to light body, slightly lower carbonation that I anticipated, which leaves a slight creamy feel (similar to Apple Ale). If this is bottle conditioned, maybe the carbonation will go up with age?

d - spot on, obviously. NG always nails drinkability. I hope this is made again, but I doubt it will be.

overall - such an amazing beer. New Glarus has jumped into the wild scene with a bang. The complexity of this beer amazes me that they chose to do this in their first attempts at a wild. I can't wait to see what else they have up their sleeve.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Huge thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a dark golden-orange color with a white head. The aroma is awesome. I get a ton of bourbon, maple and vanilla notes up front, with the accompanying tart cherry notes. The flavor is more of the same. All of the notes from the aroma are present in the flavor. If I had to summarize the flavor, I would say it tastes like bourbon-chocolate covered cherries. The tartness and a little hint of funk just add to the other notes. I have never had a beer that tastes quite like this and I hope I get to try it again, although that is probably unlikely. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. An outstanding beer.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Bottle shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike.

The beer is sunburst orange with a half inch of white head that leaves spotty lacing on the glass. The aroma offers oak, wine, booze, berries, wild yeast. The beer is tannic, with a blend of booze and fruit. Lots of wood comes through. Cherries soaked in bourbon. Nice balance of sweet cherries with tart flavors, boozy bourbon, and a general tannic / barrel character. Light bodied and smooth feeling on the palate. An interesting beer for sure. For what it is, this is very well done.

4.46/5  rDev +5.4%

Bottle into a big red wine glass, courtesy once again of Jeff (Alewatcher) - dank je wel, for once again sending me beers beyond anything I have a right to expect.

Pours a deep murky brown, with a soft ruby glow to it. Thin, fizzy off-white head with little to no lacing.

Nose is excellent - signature sharp, lactic mix of sweet and sour cherry, with a bit of rich depth coming from the bourbon barrel. Any funk there is very light - clean, signature New Glarus fruit beer, with just a bit of added richness.

Taste is exactly what the nose promises - the crisp, sharp, sweet lactic sour-cherry goodness of Belgian Red, with a touch of added richness, nice bit of oak, and a hint of bourbon. well rounded, clean, delicious.

Mouthfeel is light in body, crisply carbonated with a nice bite to it complementing that from the lactic, refreshing, delivered exactly as it should be.

Overall, fantastic beer. My love for Belgian Red, with a nice bit of added complexity that complement the base beer beautifully. Love it.

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The last of the three R&D to be enjoyed from the package sent to me by Translucent, thanks again!

Appearance- Pours a nice shade of ruby amber with a relatively thin head that dies back to a ring and patching. Very nice color though and carbonation appropriate for the style.

Smell- First and foremost, the nose is comprised of cherries! Doesn't smell like fresh cherries necessarily but due to the wood smells more like a fresh cherry pie. Hints of vanilla and bourbon wood.

Taste- Flavor profile is similar to the nose with fresh cherry pie really the best way I can describe this one. Lots of cherry flavor backed up with nice highlights of vanilla and some bourbon warmth on the finish. Quite nice.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is nice for the style and not overly thin. Very drinkable though I didn't find it to be particularly tart I will say.

Overall, I really enjoyed this and wish I could get ahold of more. In a close race for my favorite of the three R&D beers with the Golden Ale.

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Acquired via Brian23456--thanks Brian! Brewed 1/18/10, Bottled 8/6/10

A: Poured into a DFH snifter (RIP) an exceptionally clear garnet, with copper highlights. 1" light tan head dissapates quickly. By the clarity and lack of yeast in the bottom I would guess it isn't bottle conditioned (although it did just arrive earlier today via trade)

S: Doesn't let you down on what the name advertises--A Bourbon Barrel Kriek(ish) this is. Vanilla/oaky notes abound, blending with a tart cherry aroma reminiscent of other NG cherry beers (Enigma, Belgian Red, Cherry Stout). Caramelly bourbon notes mix in well. Once warm, light spice notes can be detected as well.

T: Sweet cherry greets the palate, followed by vanilla and flashes of bourbon. Acetic/tart fruitiness (cherry) edges its way back in with the bourbon to make for a long, enjoyable finish. The vanilla/oak becomes more prominent as it warms.

M: Medium-high carbonation, creamy while exhibiting a very light spirit-y character.

D: Upon first hearing about this beer, I thought the bourbon & kriek combination to be a bit odd. However, the way in which they are so well integrated has successfully changed that thinking. (Also worth noting that this is definitely different than a traditional Belgian Kriek)

4.44/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

700th review!

Pours a murky brown with a short white head on top. Leaves a small collar and cap.

A perfect mix of tartness and cherry sweetness.

Ripe red cherries. Tart, not sour. Vanilla, oak, slight bourbon but not much. Some booze is detected.

Tongue dancing carbonation, perfect. Medium mouthfeel.

Found this similar to Wisconsin Begian Red with added oakiness. And that's oaky with this guy as WBR is one of, if not, my favorite beer.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Bottle shared by ejyoung, poured into a tulip.

Light cherry-orange color, perfectly clear. A half-finger head of fuzzy dark tan quickly becomes a frothy medium ring.

Tart! Toffee, herbal mint, dark cherry syrup, vanilla, butter. A terrific blend, with the barrel accenting, rather than overpowering, the other aromas.

Flavor is glorious. Black cherry lends a gentle tartness in front of caramel, toffee, vinous oak and big scoops of butter.

The body just a bit above light, softly fizzy and hot on the tongue. The tartness hits hard while the alcohol adds peppery heat. Carbonation tickles the tongue lightly.

Quality stuff, this Kriek. The beer exhibits a brilliant blend of cherries and barrels character, with neither overpowering the other.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to pantanap for sharing this, seeing as I missed out when the bottle release was pushed up. Served in a Cigar City snifter.

A - Pours with a nice finger of off-white foam that settles to a thin ring and some filmy haze. Features a pinkish red-brown body that's a few shades darker than the R&D Gueuze.

S - Vanilla, maraschino cherry, a bit of oak. Not getting a ton of bourbon here - the closest thing might be a bit of spice. I'm also not getting much of the lactobacillus character. Smells like Cran-bic, but with cherries instead of cranberries.

T - Taste is very sweet, with low but present amounts of tartness and pucker. However, to me this is largely vanilla and cherry; basically a barrel-aged Belgian Red at this stage in the game. Probably more of a 4.25 here.

M - Lower carbonation, very sticky medium body. Perhaps a bit juice-like, and nowhere near as dry as the Gueuze.

D - I'm conflicted. This stuff is delicious, but it's about as Kriek-like as Phoenix Kriek (i.e. not very much at all). I'd have no problem putting down a half-liter bottle with the excellent taste and lower ABV. I guess I'm just a little disappointed to go from the very bretty and wild character of the R&D Golden Ale to minimal sourness or funk.

I'm not going to be overly harsh here. As a fruit beer, this rocks and when compared to Lindemans, Chapeau, or Kriek Max it's extremely enjoyable. However, if you go in expecting Cantillon or Drie Fonteinen you're going to be very disappointed - as an authentic historical Kriek this would probably be in B-/C+ territory.

R&D Bourbon Barrel Kriek from New Glarus Brewing Company