R&D Bourbon Barrel Kriek | New Glarus Brewing Company

newglarusbrewing.com

Style: American Wild Ale

August 2010 Release
1,500 Bottles

Ale infused with a large dose of sour cherries. Fermented in an Oak Vat using a blend of Ale Yeast and Lactobacillus. Then aged in freshly dumped bourbon barrels.

Added by alcstradamus on 07-30-2010

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into Lost Abbey glassware.

Pours a fizzy white head that settles fast. Color is a clear bright ruby head. A nice color to this one.

Aroma: Sour cherries and lots of them. I get oak and vanilla, and the bourbon hits as I swirl the glass. A really awesome layer added to this beer. It is more tart than funky. I like it... a lot.

Taste: Cherries, oak, vanilla, bourbon. The cherries are tart and the bourbon is warming in a good way. It is tart and sour. Not a lot of funk shows which I like for this beer. It almost has a whiskey flavor to it. The cherries remind of the WI Belgian Red cherries. Door County cherries ftw. Wow, the bourbon is spot on.

Mouthfeel: A light sourness, but the main component is the tartness. A lighter bodied beer with a good amount of carbonation. Ends fairly clean with more cherries.

Overall, I am impressed with this beer. It is amazing. I didn't expect to pick up the bourbon notes as much, but wow do they pull throw and add a nice layer. This is up there as one of my favorite NG beers. Very drinkable.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

consumed 9-21-10

it was a complete pleasure to enjoy this. definitely the highlight of the night for me. split multiple ways. fully enjoyed through the last drop, at or around room temperature. thanks johnny!

appearance is brownish ruby, with a thin light head.

smell is buttery graham cracker crust, cherry pie, holy crap.

taste is similar to the smell, no distinct bourbon, really, just a well-integrated buttery and slight woodiness combining with the cherries to create a drink that reminds me of this dish that my mom has made that may only consist of cherries, graham cracker crumbles, and butter. delicious. cherries are mildly tart. the combination is delicious. i couldnt suggest an improvement.

mouthfeel is medium to full, fluffy and decadent.

a few ounces may be the perfect serving. i expect i would have just as easily appreciated a bit more, but i believe a bottle to myself would have been too much of a good thing. i love a sweet (edit: decadent) beer, so there are only praises from me in that respect.

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

pour was a deep amber and copper with a little to no head. i got the bottom of the bottle though...

light cherry and light bourbon with a dark candy fruit. the cherry was quite pronounced.

lots of real cherry that was equally blended with a bourbon barrel flavor. this was totally 50/50 on balance. it was quite interesting. nice light sourness or tartness.

fairly light body with a moderate carbonation. a bit dry

this was quite interesting, not sure if i could ever finish the entire bottle though.

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Acquired via Brian23456--thanks Brian! Brewed 1/18/10, Bottled 8/6/10

A: Poured into a DFH snifter (RIP) an exceptionally clear garnet, with copper highlights. 1" light tan head dissapates quickly. By the clarity and lack of yeast in the bottom I would guess it isn't bottle conditioned (although it did just arrive earlier today via trade)

S: Doesn't let you down on what the name advertises--A Bourbon Barrel Kriek(ish) this is. Vanilla/oaky notes abound, blending with a tart cherry aroma reminiscent of other NG cherry beers (Enigma, Belgian Red, Cherry Stout). Caramelly bourbon notes mix in well. Once warm, light spice notes can be detected as well.

T: Sweet cherry greets the palate, followed by vanilla and flashes of bourbon. Acetic/tart fruitiness (cherry) edges its way back in with the bourbon to make for a long, enjoyable finish. The vanilla/oak becomes more prominent as it warms.

M: Medium-high carbonation, creamy while exhibiting a very light spirit-y character.

D: Upon first hearing about this beer, I thought the bourbon & kriek combination to be a bit odd. However, the way in which they are so well integrated has successfully changed that thinking. (Also worth noting that this is definitely different than a traditional Belgian Kriek)

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

500mL bottle poured into NG flute split with my wife.

A- Pours a deep amber, almost bordering on a copper brown. A finger worth of head that recedes rather quickly and leaves a little bit of lacing. Just a little lacing is left around the edge of the glass.

S- At first whiff I pick up a significant amount of oak. A little bit of the bourbon but nothing overpowering. Some nice tart cherries and maybe even a little bit of chocolate.

T- Big amounts of oak and cherries. The oak adds a nice smoothness to the beer. A little bit of vanilla and there is an underlying bourbon tone that balances everything out. At first I was hoping there would be a big bourbon character but this is the way to go.

M- Medium bodied that has a nice sprite carbonation but still a smoothness to it that I haven't had in many beers. Just a tad dry on the finish.

D- It seems as if Dan Carey has taken everything good about fruit beers that he makes and combined them for this beer and barrel aged it. I get hints of the tart, red, enigma and cherry stout. Another winner from the best brewery in WI.

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a dark copper bordering on mahogany with a nice tan head and some good legs as it goes down. Smell is cherries, quite a bit of oak, vanilla, coconut, and some very exquisite backing bourbon. The taste only improves on this with the bourbon, vanilla, and coconut really taking center stage, although the cherries definitely make their presence known. Mouthfeel enhances the taste like no other, with a nice creamy smoothness. The most impressive New Glarus beer I've had to date. Absolutely left me wondering why more breweries aren't bourbon-barrel-aging krieks. Phenomenal results, at least in this case.

3.97/5  rDev -6.1%

9/17/2010

Thanks to Mike (Overlord) for sharing. The Law of Equipoise must be restored in the near future.

A: Burgundy tinged dark brown with a lilliputian and short lived white head.

S: Sweet and lactic cherries against a faint backdrop of bourbon. The fruit is sugary, brown sugary, and lightly sour, and I detect a dash of chocolate and wood.

T: Sweet cherries with a moderate lactic sourness and a little tartness. If bourbon was faint in the aroma, it's almost nonexistent in the flavor. Brown sugar melds with oak and vanilla.

M: Thick, creamy, and sticky with adequate carbonation, upper moderate I'd say.

Overall: This has traces of Belgian Red, Enigma and Old English Porter. I found it quite nice, but the sweetness cuts down on my desire to consume large quantities of it (not that it's a beer that should be consumed in that fashion). The bourbon was pretty subtle, especially in the flavor, and I was hoping that aspect would be more pronounced when I first heard of the beer. All told, a good fruit beer, but not among the New Glarus elite.

3.6/5  rDev -14.9%

Bottle shared by Kan, thanks dude!

A - Pours a reddish brown color, slight bubbly carbonation with reduces down to a few large bubbles here and there. No lacing, no retention.

S - Sour cherries, barrel, bourbon, burnt sugars.

T - Not as much sour/tart/funk as I'd would have expected. More like Belgian Red aged in bourbon barrels. Lots of barrel, bourbon, and cherries. Not enough funk for me, plain and simple. Sweet bourbon finish. I'm not a fan of the bourbon in this beer.

M - Light to medium, good carbonation, dry finish.

D - Meh. Good, not great. I think this one needed some more funk to bring it to the next level. If I want a cherry beer, I'll drink Belgian Red. The bourbon doesn't work well here.

3.7/5  rDev -12.5%

Thanks to a very generous TPatuto!

Pours a deep brown amber with maybe some orange/slightly ruddy highlights.

Light white crust. No real head.

Small champagne bubble streams. Ooooo.... pretty.

Smells sweet. Yeah. Sweet. Like Maraschino cherries with a stronger than expected bourbon flavor. Aroma clearly the best part of brew.

Taste is too sweet. The cherries have some mild tartness, but this really reminds of their Belgian Red mixed with bourbon with a bit of cherry tartness. Not particularly integrated well. Like someone took an eye dropper of bourbon to it.

Grew on me after a while.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow this was a exceptional beer. I am a bit biased as I areally New Glarus stuff thanks again to klikger for this I was more than happy to trade as this is really good.

A - light brown color thin head.

S - oaked cherries

T - Sour cherry flavor with that barrel aged taste.

M - You can feel the sour cherries as it sits ther in your mouth.

D - I would drink a ton of these given the chance.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Another big thanks to Kan.

A light redish color with off white head, decent lacing...A really nice aroma of cherry vanilla, lots of spice, nutmeg, a little bread pudding...The taste is really sweet lots of cherry and vanilla present, its really similar to wisconsin belgian red in the sweetness with a kick of a little vanilla and bourbon...Pretty easy to drink at first, but after awhile gets a little too sweet.

Decent and worth trying, but a little too sweet.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

First time trying this one and I have to say, it is very good. Glad I picked some up at the brewery.

A: Ruby in color, pours a thin white head that dissipates quickly. Nicely carbonated, bubbles keep emerging to the top.

S: The smell is delicious, cherries and oak. Smells like it will be tart but not overwhelmingly.

T: Similar to the smell, starts out with a nice oak flavor then moves on to the sour cherries, hints of vanilla, a nice sweetness is present as well then a taste of bourbon comes right at the end. There is tartness here but it isn't too strong, very crisp, dry finish.

M: Has a great amount of carbonation in my opinion. Has a slightly syrupy feel to it but in a good way as it isn't too sweet.

D: I could drink tons of this stuff.

O: I really wish there hadn't been a bottle limit, I could definitely use a lot more of these. Another great fruit beer from New Glarus.

3.73/5  rDev -11.8%

Many, many thanks for this treat, Casey. I split this with Devin tonight.

Brilliant garnet red with a dense, off-white head that falls off to a ring, it does deserve to get dinged a bit, but the color and clarity are rather breathtaking. As for the nose, this is about as much of a Kriek as the Phoenix Kriek is. Very fruit forward with lots of cherry and a rather noticeable bourbon character with a mild heat and moderate vanilla. Sourness is all cherry with no real lambic character present. Vanilla, oak and not much cherry skin/pit character are other attributes, but this really does have gobs of cherries, reminding me alternately of maraschino and sour cherries.

The palate opens with plenty of cherry flavor, very pie like and almost a touch metallic. The sour cherry character is pronounced and is actually quite wonderful. Deep and rich, the fruit is very well expressed here. Brown sugar, vanilla and oak are present in the classic New Glarus combination. Drying on the finish with some sourness with plenty of tartness and moderate fruit character, there is some bourbon heat on the finish that comes across surprisingly close to a grain alcohol/neutral spirit like character, causing the flavors to fizzle out, leaving just a little brown sugar, cherry and vanilla. Decent stuff, I'd love to try this side by side with Enigma and Wisconsin Belgian Red.

4.23/5  rDev 0%

Picked up at the New Glarus brewery during our epic, intense weekend at the Great Taste, which was even better than those that came before. Absolutely stunning brewery. If you're ever within 100 miles, it's worth a side trip.

Now, on to this whole Kriek thing. 500ML bottle split with my wife (who also insisted on picking up a couple of the R&D Golden Ale after she had a taste). Pours a clear, unsullied cherry red with minimal carbonation; individual bubbles can be tracked as they mosey unhurriedly towards the surface of the beer. Smell is ripe cherries with the slightest edge, less funk, more tart.

R&D Bourbon Barrel Kriek is following in the well-trodden path of fine New Glarus fruit beers. They should start a university on the subject. Tart without being hailing distance to puckering, the cherries fill out the lineup card, the dance card, & probably an inside straight, too. The bourbon...really? Barely taste it. Neither vanilla nor bourbon is much in evidence. Handed to me blind I'd have tasted neither.

Very sweet, starting over the edge, but just stepping back from sticky & syrupy. But this should come in 3L buckets so I could stick a 2" diameter straw in & go at it. All I need is a straw hat, hammock, & a little shade with that 3L & I'd be all set for one fine afternoon of liesure.

Well. I'm not really much of a fan to judging to style, so this is purely on taste, & it's really flippin' good. New Glarus continues a fruity winning streak, & this is simply another in a line of good ones. Salut & down the hatch.

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured into a Russian River Belgian tulip glass.

The beer pours out an extremely clear, medium ruby red/amber. There is basically no head present.

The aroma is filled with bourbon, cherries, a little oak, and some hay-like notes. The mouthfeel is medium with a fairly high level of carbonation.

The flavors consist of bourbon, cherries, and some sweet caramel initially, followed by a strong tart sourness that ends in a dry finish.

This is one wonderful mix of flavors! The dry finish makes it very drinkable. The sourness is prominent, but not out of control. A wonderful beer.

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

500 ml bottle split and poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip. Batch 5 bbl, Brewed 1.18.10, O.G. 13°P, Bottled 8.6.10, ABV 5.5%, IBUs 12.

Infinity thanks to Beerwolf77 for picking a bottle of this up for me AND sharing a bottle with me! You're my #1 ninja Todd!

A - Clear as crystal and ruby brown-red is brilliant looking with a big three-finger head from a tall pour. Good retention with some good lace left over.

S - Phenomenal aroma of mixed spice and mild funk. The funk is mildly reminiscent of barnyard but is overshadowed by equally mild tart cherry and raspberry and general berry fruitiness. A fantastic barrel aroma of very mild bourbon comes through as well. This aroma is fan-freakin'-tastic!

T - Oh wow. Very mild sour funkiness adds fantastic layers of undertones to this complex and orgasmic flavor. Yes, orgasmic. Tart cherry and raspberry blends so well with a very tiny splash of bourbon barrel. I can't stop drinking it!

M - Smooth and soft initially with a great tart and sour balance to the finish. I can't believe how good this goes down. Smooth and very lightly carbonated to the perfect level.

D - Well, I can't give this anything less than a 5 in drinkability since I have to hold myself back from just drinking the whole thing immediately instead of savoring it sip by sip. Once again Dan Carey proves that he knows fruit beers inside and out. Hot damn, this is one of the best beers I've ever had.

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%

500ml bottle poured into snifter.

a - clean and clear golden brown pour. good carbonation. these are beautiful beers.

s - without holding it up to my nose i can smell the cherry and bourbon. subtle hints buried in the bourbon such as vanilla and wood. bourbon is absolutely huge, yet mellow.

t - tart cherry. sweet bourbon flavors; vanilla and caramel. bourbon flavor is great. its refreshing to have a bourbon barrel aged beer that isn't burning with booze. the tart cherry flavor and the sweet bourbon flavors go perfectly together. The only thing this lacks is a real "kriek"-ness to the cherry flavor. Its tart, but I would like a bigger kick. If, with age that happens, I'll give it a 5.

m - medium to light body, slightly lower carbonation that I anticipated, which leaves a slight creamy feel (similar to Apple Ale). If this is bottle conditioned, maybe the carbonation will go up with age?

d - spot on, obviously. NG always nails drinkability. I hope this is made again, but I doubt it will be.

overall - such an amazing beer. New Glarus has jumped into the wild scene with a bang. The complexity of this beer amazes me that they chose to do this in their first attempts at a wild. I can't wait to see what else they have up their sleeve.

4.84/5  rDev +14.4%

I almost don't want to write this review. It's going to look like a huge steaming pile of homerism. God damn you NG! Why must your fruit beers be so delicious?

Bottle split and poured into my duvel tulip the beer is redish brown with about a finger of beige head. Spotty lace left behind.

The aroma is heaven in a glass. Tart cherries mixed with wood, vanilla, pie crusts and light bourbon. It reminds me of a mix of Belgian Red, Cranbic and Enigma. Which pretty much blows my mind. Since those are three of the finest fruit beers in existance.

The flavor is pretty much right where the nose led me. Pure tart cherry goodness. Hints of barrel, vanilla, pie crust and light bourbon. About as tasty as a beer can get in my eyes.

Medium to light body with light carbonation.

Overall simply devine. I could drink this by the gallon. I was finished with my glass before I had even fished writing. That almost never happens. I could not stop drinking it. I hope that Dan Carey can some how be persauded into brewing this again. Then put in 750's so I can guzzle it.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

500mL bottle poured into a Bells tulip glass. This beer was shares among friends at a recent tasting.

If you are familiar with NG fruit beers then that distinct bright red hue is recognizable. This ones is a mix of red and brown, maybe like a clear Belgian Red. A nice long lasting bright white head tops the beer.

The nose is that trademark tart cherry the New Glarus has used in many a beer (Belgian Red, Cherry Stout, Enigma to some extent) in addition to the cherry a stronger oakiness was present with noticeable vanilla.

In addition to the always welcome tart cherries this beer also had just a kiss of bourbon that complimented the beer. It was so slight that I'm guessing that these weren't first use bourbon barrels. Once again raw oak and vanilla take a supporting role to the dominating cherry in the taste. I'm also picking up just a little bit for tartness than the standard Ng fruit beer. This really is a great beer and just a step above what Belgian Red offers.

The mouthfeel, which is usually great on New Glarus beers, has this weird drying effect on my mouth. Almost like a piece of cotton was placed in my mouth. Drinkability was on par with other NG fruit heavy beers.

I can see so many similarities to Belgian Red in this beer. It almost tastes like they just took Belgian Red and stuck it in a bourbon barrel for number of months. I think this beer would do phenomenally well as a wider release and this seems like maybe a test batch for such a thing. It's really a great fruit forward beer.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to pantanap for sharing this, seeing as I missed out when the bottle release was pushed up. Served in a Cigar City snifter.

A - Pours with a nice finger of off-white foam that settles to a thin ring and some filmy haze. Features a pinkish red-brown body that's a few shades darker than the R&D Gueuze.

S - Vanilla, maraschino cherry, a bit of oak. Not getting a ton of bourbon here - the closest thing might be a bit of spice. I'm also not getting much of the lactobacillus character. Smells like Cran-bic, but with cherries instead of cranberries.

T - Taste is very sweet, with low but present amounts of tartness and pucker. However, to me this is largely vanilla and cherry; basically a barrel-aged Belgian Red at this stage in the game. Probably more of a 4.25 here.

M - Lower carbonation, very sticky medium body. Perhaps a bit juice-like, and nowhere near as dry as the Gueuze.

D - I'm conflicted. This stuff is delicious, but it's about as Kriek-like as Phoenix Kriek (i.e. not very much at all). I'd have no problem putting down a half-liter bottle with the excellent taste and lower ABV. I guess I'm just a little disappointed to go from the very bretty and wild character of the R&D Golden Ale to minimal sourness or funk.

I'm not going to be overly harsh here. As a fruit beer, this rocks and when compared to Lindemans, Chapeau, or Kriek Max it's extremely enjoyable. However, if you go in expecting Cantillon or Drie Fonteinen you're going to be very disappointed - as an authentic historical Kriek this would probably be in B-/C+ territory.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a 500 ml into a snifter. Split with airohead2001.

A: Pours an amber color with a little bit of ruby red in there as well. A vigorous pour yields a ½ finger off-white head that fades into a swirl of bubbles with a nice crown. Moderate lacing.

S: Ahhhh, cherries and bourbon a terrific smelling beer. Both the bourbon and cherries are superbly balanced on the nose. I also get a sweetness that is reminiscent of sugar in the raw.

T: I have a couple variations of Russian river that I have yet to try sitting in the fridge so I won't be able to compare to the "gold standard" as of yet, but I must say this is one fine beer! As with the nose, the taste is a wonderful balance of bourbon a sour cherries to start and bourbon at the finish. Some vanilla in there as well. One of the best tasting beers I have ever had.

M: This aspect too is Spot on, as the beer has perfect viscosity, Perfect carbonation, and Great aftertaste.

D: While they already had a lot of success with Wisconsin Belgian Red and Raspberry Tart, this beer, in my mind, catapults New Glarus to the forefront of any beer containing fruit. Simply exceptional beer.

4.63/5  rDev +9.5%

Huge thanks to glazeman for this one. I'm really excited to try it!!

A - dark bloody crimson with light oranges on the edges. No head - just a few bubbles that line the glass.

S - absolutely amazing. Bourbon, vanilla, tart cherries, port wine, toffee, cinnamon, and nutmeg. One of the best beers I have ever smelled. Just perfect.

T - oh my goodness. What a drink. Tart cherries up front with the smoothest bourbon finish I have ever tasted. A sweet vanilla cupcake aftertaste lingers on the palate. This truly tastes like some type of cherry vanilla cookie. This beer is amazing. And yes, in case you are wondering, this blows Supplication out of the water. Again, perfect.

M - waaayyy too much carbonation here initially, but after sitting for a while this one is just right.

D - I need more!!! I could drink at least a liter and a half of this stuff in one sitting.

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - The color is amber with lots of red highlighting. A decent white head shrinks quickly, leaving behind excellent lacing.

S - A lot of cherry, in the same vein as the Wisconsin Belgian Red. Molasses and brown sugar are prominent as well.

T - Cherries and bourbon are both apparent from the moment this beer touches the tongue, but neither overshadows the other. As the beer moves through the mouth, a subtle yeasty element emerges, as does a touch of sourness. The bourbon makes another appearance as the moments pass and is joined by notes of vanilla and butter rum in the finish, resulting in a brief explosion of flavor as the beer is swallowed. The aftertaste is sweet, but short-lived.

M - Medium-bodied, fair carbonation, not syrupy. Very smooth.

D - This beer is easy to drink, and I was left wanting more than the half bottle which I had finished. That being said, sweetness would limit sessionability. For the style of beer (& not necessarily one BA's classification), this is spot on.

I love what New Glarus did with this beer. The fruit is pitch perfect, as always, but the use of bourbon barrel aging is particular notable here - it adds so much to the complexity of the flavors present, yet it does not detract from subtle characteristics which could easily have been overshadowed.

The cherries are tart, which invites comparisons to NG's aforementioned cherry masterpiece. This is far less sweet, more drinkable, and has complexities which WI Belgian Red doesn't. It stands on its own as a fantastic addition to one of the best fruit beer (among others) product lineups in the world.

Two final notes: 1) despite my high praise, I do wish that this was funkier. Perhaps further aging will help with this; and 2) enjoy this with a quality Danish blue cheese....so good.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

Picked up a couple bottles of this gem at New Glarus on my way to The Great Taste of the Midwest. My new beer budget was shattered this weekend but totally worth it for any New Glarus release. Drank from my New Glarus 'Drink Indigenous' pint glass while grilling up some tasty steaks.

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear shade of copper yellow with a decent one finger bright white head. Small collar sticks around that manages to deposit a couple threads of lacing here and there.
Smell- Very fruity smelling with that Belgium Red shell oozing from this beer. Sort of tart and ripe with a fresh cherry aspect that only New Glarus (and somewhat Selin's Grove) can pull off. Nothing smells particularly Kriek like at the moment as it's just the cherries and a bit of bourbon. Definitely smells woodier than I expected as it warms with MAYBE the lightest touch of vanilla.
Taste- I get a fruity blast of tart Montmorency cherries that is quickly whisked away by an aggressive bite of barrel. The bourbon isn't hiding here as it's quickly the dominate factor of the beer. There is always a light snippet of cherry in my mouth but the fresh fruitiness is definitely subdued. A rather aggressive bit of caramel is present as well is some vanilla. The finish is woody and robust with a bit more vanilla and a lightly buttery note.
Mouthfeel- Medium body that is damn near perfect with a very light bit of carbonation. Nice lightly creamy feel overall.
Drinkability- If you're a fan of Belgium Red you are either going to love this beer or totally despise it. The base is still there but the wood and bourbon have taken it their own way. I'm assuming this will sour up a bit with some time and I can't wait. A bit more bite will tighten this little gem right up. I really look forward to future reviews to see what people have to say about this - especially you sour purists.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

Shared 500ml bottle with fellow BA, my Father.
From tasting notes.
A: A bold ruby red haze on the body sits below a thin line of off-white head. A very low carbonation is present from the appearance. No lacing, but for style this is just right.
S: A strong note of bourbon attacks the senses and reassures a quality aging process. A wild yeast aroma is also found. A very smooth and aromatic brew this is.
T/M: A bright, bold cherry note, along with a pleasant sweet whiskey notes. A very mellowed out finish with a bit of a acid undertone. This is a very complex flavor profile in this brew.
D: A very drinkable brew, not too sour, but just the right amount sourness. A great overall brew, but with a limit on amount sold and rarity, I was savoring every sip. I could see this NG brew coming back to make a consistent appearance.
Notes: Very, very good. I am not let down by this one, the hype is there for a good reason. I will be aging some to see how it does, so a year from now, and more we will see how it develops.

R&D Bourbon Barrel Kriek from New Glarus Brewing Company