R&D Bourbon Barrel Kriek | New Glarus Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

Style: American Wild Ale

August 2010 Release
1,500 Bottles

Ale infused with a large dose of sour cherries. Fermented in an Oak Vat using a blend of Ale Yeast and Lactobacillus. Then aged in freshly dumped bourbon barrels.

Added by alcstradamus on 07-30-2010

Reviews: 84 | Ratings: 151
3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

500ml bottle from glazeman -- thanks, Scott! Review #500.

a - pours a dark copper color with a ruby tint, one-inch ivory head with decent retention for the style, light lacing, lots of bubbles indicate a high amount of carbonation, pretty clear with little sediment

s - sweet cherry aroma that's similar to other NG beers I've had, what's different is the oaky notes and considerable bourbon, very light tartness, smells a bit like cherry pie with a mild spiciness and vanilla

t - sweet and lightly tart cherries up front, slightly medicinal, pretty oaky on the midpalate, finish is more sweet and lightly tart cherry with some spicy and vanilla notes, oak makes its presence known and substantial bourbon flavors creep in as the cherry leaves the palate, there is a lingering mild tartness and spice, while this is a bit sweeter and not quite as tart as I would like, it's still a complex, unique beer that I'm enjoying drinking

m - medium-bodied with higher carbonation, some alcohol warming, on the sweet side, but the mild tartness balances it out a bit

d - the cherry sweetness limits drinkability for me a bit, I don't mind the bourbon notes though, there's quite a bit going on in the flavor, so it remains interesting for awhile, though the flavors don't work together perfectly

Very interesting beer, but, as other reviewers have noted, I think NG does the beer a disservice by calling it a kriek. The tartness and sourness is very mild and the sweetness is a bit high for my taste. That said, I'm glad to have had the opportunity to try this unique beer. I have higher hopes for the Gueuze.

3.48/5  rDev -17.7%

500ml bottle shared by Arbitrator.

Pours clear medium brownish-reddish-amber with a small off-white head on top.

The aroma is big on the bourbon barrels, with slight cherry, like a toned-down Wisconsin Belgian Red, with slight buttery oakiness and vinous notes.

The flavor is also a lot like Wisconsin Belgian Red without as much cherry. Rather sweet - definitely more sweet than sour. Acetic and vinegary with slight butter and metallicity.

Smooth and medium-bodied, but come on, where is the sourness and acidity? Medium-low carbonation level.

Overall, a tasty beer, but still a bit of a disappointment. Just not really very sour at all and not at all to style.

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The last of the three R&D to be enjoyed from the package sent to me by Translucent, thanks again!

Appearance- Pours a nice shade of ruby amber with a relatively thin head that dies back to a ring and patching. Very nice color though and carbonation appropriate for the style.

Smell- First and foremost, the nose is comprised of cherries! Doesn't smell like fresh cherries necessarily but due to the wood smells more like a fresh cherry pie. Hints of vanilla and bourbon wood.

Taste- Flavor profile is similar to the nose with fresh cherry pie really the best way I can describe this one. Lots of cherry flavor backed up with nice highlights of vanilla and some bourbon warmth on the finish. Quite nice.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is nice for the style and not overly thin. Very drinkable though I didn't find it to be particularly tart I will say.

Overall, I really enjoyed this and wish I could get ahold of more. In a close race for my favorite of the three R&D beers with the Golden Ale.

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%

500mL bottle courtesy of enelson. The label reads "Bourbon Barrel Kriek is spontaneously fermented in oak vats, then aged with sour cherries in bourbon barrels. Sour and intense, this is a wild beer."

It pours clear, a dark copper-tan color with reddish highlights, and a thin wet off-white foam. Not as red as expected for a kriek but still more red than yellow.

The bourbon and sour cherries really mix it up in the aroma, leaving an overall tasty impression if not quite as appealing as NG Cranbic. Dark fruits like plums in addition to the cherries, not really too many wild notes. The bourbon adds some light whiskey aromas, a a sense of more alcohol than the 5.5% ABV listed on the bottle.

This beer tastes more sweet than sour, more on the Lindemans side of the scale than Cantillon, but not near the Lindemans sweetness index value. The bourbon barrel adds flavors that are modest in intensity but massive in effect to the beer. I've never had this mix of flavors in a beer before, and I can immediately endorse it as delicious.

The carbonation is on the low side but definitely present, otherwise a nice light body. I liked this a lot and would try another one any time, well done.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

Brewed 1.18.10, Bottled 8.6.10
13*P, 5.5% abv
A soft pour produces a fat-two-finger thick, nicely tan colored head. The beer is a deep, dark red color that shows a brilliantly clear, cranberry red color when held up to the light. The aroma smells lightly of tart cherries and a touch of cranberries (or is that just the color influencing me) up front. A lingering exploration yields a lactic sourness and a soft, spicy Bourbon / oak note. Interestingly enough this has quite a bit of toasted character; is it malt or oak toast though, it comes off more as being malt derived, but in thinking about it more it is definitely the toasted oak. There is definitely lots of oak and wood character, but I like that the cherries are expressive up front and then again in a long finishing aromatic note. As my nose gets used to this beer a much more expressive vanillin character starts to come out, at times it can even remind me of lightly toasted coconut. Towards the end of this beer the vanillin / coconut character even becomes the most dominant note.

This still has some residual sugars in it that adds a soft sweetness. Up front this has a nice lactic tartness to it, which accentuates the cherry notes. This then moves into a vanillin laden, fruity Bourbon-leaning, and lightly spicy oak finish. There is a lot going on in this beer and it is quite well balanced. I am definitely enjoying this a bit more than I was expecting. Up front the carbonation adds to the percieved tartness with some carbonic acid. The texture is a bit fizzy, though it is not aggressively carbonated. The beer is light leaning, but does have a medium'ish texture to it that lightly clings to the palate. I really like how the cherry flavors intermingle with the rich vanillin notes from barrels, this works together really well. It is also quite nice that the oak and Bourbon character is not too overwhelming for this beer; especially in a beer of this relatively low strength. Toasted coconut starts to come out in the flavor after a bit and becomes a significant contributor to the flavor of the finish.

This beer is quite nice. It is much better than I was expecting for some reason and even the light sweetness works well here. In fact, without it, this beer would be unbalanced as the Bourbon and oak character wouldn't work nearly as well as it does. My biggest complaint is that the base beer and the fermentation character really doesn't play much of a role here; the Bourbon barrel and oak play first billing, and the cherries play a significant role as well, but the base beer plays hardly even a supporting role here. The base beer contributes some soft lactic tartness, perhaps a hint of maltiness in the middle and not much else. Still the flavors that are here are quite enjoyable and balanced between themselves.

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Nerd shared this one. Thanks, Michael.

Clear red with copper highlights, this has great color, and the head is solid and lasting.

The nose is redolent of ripe macerated cherries, sweet with a mild tartness. There's a hint of vanilla and caramel, which I guess is the influence of the bourbon barrel, but it's subtle.

Abundant sweet cherries, this is only mildly piquant on the tongue and hardly sour. Vanilla and caramel make brief appearances, along with hints of oak in the finish. There's a bit of graham cracker maltiness; otherwise, it's all about the sweet, intense, dessert-like cherry flavors.

OK, this isn't a true kriek, nor is it particularly sour, but it is a very good fruit beer. I enjoyed my pour and I'd gladly drink it again.

2.49/5  rDev -41.1%

Chilled bottle into a glass. I tried this twice: once courtesy of nerd, once from a bottle I shared (generously traded to me by Wisconsinality).

I'm a huge New Glarus fan. I think of myself as their homer from another mother. So when I don't enjoy one of their beers, I prefer to try it again and re-review it. That's what I did here.

A: Pours a brownish amber; quite clear in the glass. The pour generates some light beige head, which quickly vanishes, leaving a tendril or two of lace on the sides.

S: This smells like a cherry dessert of some kind. Maraschino cherries; not even much tannic bitterness that you would get from cherry skins. Bourbon and vanilla are muted, but you do smell them.

T: Definitely on the sweet side. The cherries contribute a mild tartness that is strongly muted by bourbon and butter. The finish develops just a hint of burn that suggests vinegar sourness, but it's not found in the main taste at all. I find myself struggling to detect any bacterial character. Instead, I enjoy the beer for what it is: it's like walking into the barrel room at a vineyard. It has that woodsy, rustic, cerealy, slightly grape-ish taste sensation that enters your mouth when you step into those rooms. It's tasty for sure; the flavors are balanced, delicate, soft. As a fruit beer, it's goo. It just doesn't have any 'wild' flavors, and it reminds me more of a barrel-aged fruit beer (specifically, the Belgian Red) than anything else.

M: As always, they nail the mouthfeel. Supple, velvety, rich in flavor. The cherries don't build up and coat the palate. I appreciate that quality.

D: I hate, HATE, saying bad things about New Glarus. But if you're going to call your beer a kriek, you conjure certain expectations of it tasting like a cherry lambic, and failing that, at least like a cherry wild ale. This does neither. So I'm forced, based on style considerations, to give it a lower score.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle. Clear reddish copper orange color with an of white collared head. Slightly funky brett aroma mixed with sweet/tart cherries along with the bourbon oak notes with a hint of rarity. Light mouthfeel with some good carbonation. To me this has a nice complex and layered taste. The initial and easiest flavor to pick out is the cherries, I mean, let's be honest, New Glarus KNOWS how to make fruit beers and this one is no different. Besides the cherry goodness, there is a really nice blend of vanilla, oak, and bourbon. Not really overaly sour by any means at all and I wonder how time will treat this bottles. Really a good beer that I suggest people try. Very drinkable.

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into Lost Abbey glassware.

Pours a fizzy white head that settles fast. Color is a clear bright ruby head. A nice color to this one.

Aroma: Sour cherries and lots of them. I get oak and vanilla, and the bourbon hits as I swirl the glass. A really awesome layer added to this beer. It is more tart than funky. I like it... a lot.

Taste: Cherries, oak, vanilla, bourbon. The cherries are tart and the bourbon is warming in a good way. It is tart and sour. Not a lot of funk shows which I like for this beer. It almost has a whiskey flavor to it. The cherries remind of the WI Belgian Red cherries. Door County cherries ftw. Wow, the bourbon is spot on.

Mouthfeel: A light sourness, but the main component is the tartness. A lighter bodied beer with a good amount of carbonation. Ends fairly clean with more cherries.

Overall, I am impressed with this beer. It is amazing. I didn't expect to pick up the bourbon notes as much, but wow do they pull throw and add a nice layer. This is up there as one of my favorite NG beers. Very drinkable.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

consumed 9-21-10

it was a complete pleasure to enjoy this. definitely the highlight of the night for me. split multiple ways. fully enjoyed through the last drop, at or around room temperature. thanks johnny!

appearance is brownish ruby, with a thin light head.

smell is buttery graham cracker crust, cherry pie, holy crap.

taste is similar to the smell, no distinct bourbon, really, just a well-integrated buttery and slight woodiness combining with the cherries to create a drink that reminds me of this dish that my mom has made that may only consist of cherries, graham cracker crumbles, and butter. delicious. cherries are mildly tart. the combination is delicious. i couldnt suggest an improvement.

mouthfeel is medium to full, fluffy and decadent.

a few ounces may be the perfect serving. i expect i would have just as easily appreciated a bit more, but i believe a bottle to myself would have been too much of a good thing. i love a sweet (edit: decadent) beer, so there are only praises from me in that respect.

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

pour was a deep amber and copper with a little to no head. i got the bottom of the bottle though...

light cherry and light bourbon with a dark candy fruit. the cherry was quite pronounced.

lots of real cherry that was equally blended with a bourbon barrel flavor. this was totally 50/50 on balance. it was quite interesting. nice light sourness or tartness.

fairly light body with a moderate carbonation. a bit dry

this was quite interesting, not sure if i could ever finish the entire bottle though.

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Acquired via Brian23456--thanks Brian! Brewed 1/18/10, Bottled 8/6/10

A: Poured into a DFH snifter (RIP) an exceptionally clear garnet, with copper highlights. 1" light tan head dissapates quickly. By the clarity and lack of yeast in the bottom I would guess it isn't bottle conditioned (although it did just arrive earlier today via trade)

S: Doesn't let you down on what the name advertises--A Bourbon Barrel Kriek(ish) this is. Vanilla/oaky notes abound, blending with a tart cherry aroma reminiscent of other NG cherry beers (Enigma, Belgian Red, Cherry Stout). Caramelly bourbon notes mix in well. Once warm, light spice notes can be detected as well.

T: Sweet cherry greets the palate, followed by vanilla and flashes of bourbon. Acetic/tart fruitiness (cherry) edges its way back in with the bourbon to make for a long, enjoyable finish. The vanilla/oak becomes more prominent as it warms.

M: Medium-high carbonation, creamy while exhibiting a very light spirit-y character.

D: Upon first hearing about this beer, I thought the bourbon & kriek combination to be a bit odd. However, the way in which they are so well integrated has successfully changed that thinking. (Also worth noting that this is definitely different than a traditional Belgian Kriek)

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

500mL bottle poured into NG flute split with my wife.

A- Pours a deep amber, almost bordering on a copper brown. A finger worth of head that recedes rather quickly and leaves a little bit of lacing. Just a little lacing is left around the edge of the glass.

S- At first whiff I pick up a significant amount of oak. A little bit of the bourbon but nothing overpowering. Some nice tart cherries and maybe even a little bit of chocolate.

T- Big amounts of oak and cherries. The oak adds a nice smoothness to the beer. A little bit of vanilla and there is an underlying bourbon tone that balances everything out. At first I was hoping there would be a big bourbon character but this is the way to go.

M- Medium bodied that has a nice sprite carbonation but still a smoothness to it that I haven't had in many beers. Just a tad dry on the finish.

D- It seems as if Dan Carey has taken everything good about fruit beers that he makes and combined them for this beer and barrel aged it. I get hints of the tart, red, enigma and cherry stout. Another winner from the best brewery in WI.

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a dark copper bordering on mahogany with a nice tan head and some good legs as it goes down. Smell is cherries, quite a bit of oak, vanilla, coconut, and some very exquisite backing bourbon. The taste only improves on this with the bourbon, vanilla, and coconut really taking center stage, although the cherries definitely make their presence known. Mouthfeel enhances the taste like no other, with a nice creamy smoothness. The most impressive New Glarus beer I've had to date. Absolutely left me wondering why more breweries aren't bourbon-barrel-aging krieks. Phenomenal results, at least in this case.

3.97/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks to Mike (Overlord) for sharing. The Law of Equipoise must be restored in the near future.

A: Burgundy tinged dark brown with a lilliputian and short lived white head.

S: Sweet and lactic cherries against a faint backdrop of bourbon. The fruit is sugary, brown sugary, and lightly sour, and I detect a dash of chocolate and wood.

T: Sweet cherries with a moderate lactic sourness and a little tartness. If bourbon was faint in the aroma, it's almost nonexistent in the flavor. Brown sugar melds with oak and vanilla.

M: Thick, creamy, and sticky with adequate carbonation, upper moderate I'd say.

Overall: This has traces of Belgian Red, Enigma and Old English Porter. I found it quite nice, but the sweetness cuts down on my desire to consume large quantities of it (not that it's a beer that should be consumed in that fashion). The bourbon was pretty subtle, especially in the flavor, and I was hoping that aspect would be more pronounced when I first heard of the beer. All told, a good fruit beer, but not among the New Glarus elite.

3.6/5  rDev -14.9%

Bottle shared by Kan, thanks dude!

A - Pours a reddish brown color, slight bubbly carbonation with reduces down to a few large bubbles here and there. No lacing, no retention.

S - Sour cherries, barrel, bourbon, burnt sugars.

T - Not as much sour/tart/funk as I'd would have expected. More like Belgian Red aged in bourbon barrels. Lots of barrel, bourbon, and cherries. Not enough funk for me, plain and simple. Sweet bourbon finish. I'm not a fan of the bourbon in this beer.

M - Light to medium, good carbonation, dry finish.

D - Meh. Good, not great. I think this one needed some more funk to bring it to the next level. If I want a cherry beer, I'll drink Belgian Red. The bourbon doesn't work well here.

3.7/5  rDev -12.5%

Thanks to a very generous TPatuto!

Pours a deep brown amber with maybe some orange/slightly ruddy highlights.

Light white crust. No real head.

Small champagne bubble streams. Ooooo.... pretty.

Smells sweet. Yeah. Sweet. Like Maraschino cherries with a stronger than expected bourbon flavor. Aroma clearly the best part of brew.

Taste is too sweet. The cherries have some mild tartness, but this really reminds of their Belgian Red mixed with bourbon with a bit of cherry tartness. Not particularly integrated well. Like someone took an eye dropper of bourbon to it.

Grew on me after a while.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow this was a exceptional beer. I am a bit biased as I areally New Glarus stuff thanks again to klikger for this I was more than happy to trade as this is really good.

A - light brown color thin head.

S - oaked cherries

T - Sour cherry flavor with that barrel aged taste.

M - You can feel the sour cherries as it sits ther in your mouth.

D - I would drink a ton of these given the chance.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Another big thanks to Kan.

A light redish color with off white head, decent lacing...A really nice aroma of cherry vanilla, lots of spice, nutmeg, a little bread pudding...The taste is really sweet lots of cherry and vanilla present, its really similar to wisconsin belgian red in the sweetness with a kick of a little vanilla and bourbon...Pretty easy to drink at first, but after awhile gets a little too sweet.

Decent and worth trying, but a little too sweet.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

First time trying this one and I have to say, it is very good. Glad I picked some up at the brewery.

A: Ruby in color, pours a thin white head that dissipates quickly. Nicely carbonated, bubbles keep emerging to the top.

S: The smell is delicious, cherries and oak. Smells like it will be tart but not overwhelmingly.

T: Similar to the smell, starts out with a nice oak flavor then moves on to the sour cherries, hints of vanilla, a nice sweetness is present as well then a taste of bourbon comes right at the end. There is tartness here but it isn't too strong, very crisp, dry finish.

M: Has a great amount of carbonation in my opinion. Has a slightly syrupy feel to it but in a good way as it isn't too sweet.

D: I could drink tons of this stuff.

O: I really wish there hadn't been a bottle limit, I could definitely use a lot more of these. Another great fruit beer from New Glarus.

3.73/5  rDev -11.8%

Many, many thanks for this treat, Casey. I split this with Devin tonight.

Brilliant garnet red with a dense, off-white head that falls off to a ring, it does deserve to get dinged a bit, but the color and clarity are rather breathtaking. As for the nose, this is about as much of a Kriek as the Phoenix Kriek is. Very fruit forward with lots of cherry and a rather noticeable bourbon character with a mild heat and moderate vanilla. Sourness is all cherry with no real lambic character present. Vanilla, oak and not much cherry skin/pit character are other attributes, but this really does have gobs of cherries, reminding me alternately of maraschino and sour cherries.

The palate opens with plenty of cherry flavor, very pie like and almost a touch metallic. The sour cherry character is pronounced and is actually quite wonderful. Deep and rich, the fruit is very well expressed here. Brown sugar, vanilla and oak are present in the classic New Glarus combination. Drying on the finish with some sourness with plenty of tartness and moderate fruit character, there is some bourbon heat on the finish that comes across surprisingly close to a grain alcohol/neutral spirit like character, causing the flavors to fizzle out, leaving just a little brown sugar, cherry and vanilla. Decent stuff, I'd love to try this side by side with Enigma and Wisconsin Belgian Red.

4.23/5  rDev 0%

Picked up at the New Glarus brewery during our epic, intense weekend at the Great Taste, which was even better than those that came before. Absolutely stunning brewery. If you're ever within 100 miles, it's worth a side trip.

Now, on to this whole Kriek thing. 500ML bottle split with my wife (who also insisted on picking up a couple of the R&D Golden Ale after she had a taste). Pours a clear, unsullied cherry red with minimal carbonation; individual bubbles can be tracked as they mosey unhurriedly towards the surface of the beer. Smell is ripe cherries with the slightest edge, less funk, more tart.

R&D Bourbon Barrel Kriek is following in the well-trodden path of fine New Glarus fruit beers. They should start a university on the subject. Tart without being hailing distance to puckering, the cherries fill out the lineup card, the dance card, & probably an inside straight, too. The bourbon...really? Barely taste it. Neither vanilla nor bourbon is much in evidence. Handed to me blind I'd have tasted neither.

Very sweet, starting over the edge, but just stepping back from sticky & syrupy. But this should come in 3L buckets so I could stick a 2" diameter straw in & go at it. All I need is a straw hat, hammock, & a little shade with that 3L & I'd be all set for one fine afternoon of liesure.

Well. I'm not really much of a fan to judging to style, so this is purely on taste, & it's really flippin' good. New Glarus continues a fruity winning streak, & this is simply another in a line of good ones. Salut & down the hatch.

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured into a Russian River Belgian tulip glass.

The beer pours out an extremely clear, medium ruby red/amber. There is basically no head present.

The aroma is filled with bourbon, cherries, a little oak, and some hay-like notes. The mouthfeel is medium with a fairly high level of carbonation.

The flavors consist of bourbon, cherries, and some sweet caramel initially, followed by a strong tart sourness that ends in a dry finish.

This is one wonderful mix of flavors! The dry finish makes it very drinkable. The sourness is prominent, but not out of control. A wonderful beer.

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

500 ml bottle split and poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip. Batch 5 bbl, Brewed 1.18.10, O.G. 13°P, Bottled 8.6.10, ABV 5.5%, IBUs 12.

Infinity thanks to Beerwolf77 for picking a bottle of this up for me AND sharing a bottle with me! You're my #1 ninja Todd!

A - Clear as crystal and ruby brown-red is brilliant looking with a big three-finger head from a tall pour. Good retention with some good lace left over.

S - Phenomenal aroma of mixed spice and mild funk. The funk is mildly reminiscent of barnyard but is overshadowed by equally mild tart cherry and raspberry and general berry fruitiness. A fantastic barrel aroma of very mild bourbon comes through as well. This aroma is fan-freakin'-tastic!

T - Oh wow. Very mild sour funkiness adds fantastic layers of undertones to this complex and orgasmic flavor. Yes, orgasmic. Tart cherry and raspberry blends so well with a very tiny splash of bourbon barrel. I can't stop drinking it!

M - Smooth and soft initially with a great tart and sour balance to the finish. I can't believe how good this goes down. Smooth and very lightly carbonated to the perfect level.

D - Well, I can't give this anything less than a 5 in drinkability since I have to hold myself back from just drinking the whole thing immediately instead of savoring it sip by sip. Once again Dan Carey proves that he knows fruit beers inside and out. Hot damn, this is one of the best beers I've ever had.

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%

500ml bottle poured into snifter.

a - clean and clear golden brown pour. good carbonation. these are beautiful beers.

s - without holding it up to my nose i can smell the cherry and bourbon. subtle hints buried in the bourbon such as vanilla and wood. bourbon is absolutely huge, yet mellow.

t - tart cherry. sweet bourbon flavors; vanilla and caramel. bourbon flavor is great. its refreshing to have a bourbon barrel aged beer that isn't burning with booze. the tart cherry flavor and the sweet bourbon flavors go perfectly together. The only thing this lacks is a real "kriek"-ness to the cherry flavor. Its tart, but I would like a bigger kick. If, with age that happens, I'll give it a 5.

m - medium to light body, slightly lower carbonation that I anticipated, which leaves a slight creamy feel (similar to Apple Ale). If this is bottle conditioned, maybe the carbonation will go up with age?

d - spot on, obviously. NG always nails drinkability. I hope this is made again, but I doubt it will be.

overall - such an amazing beer. New Glarus has jumped into the wild scene with a bang. The complexity of this beer amazes me that they chose to do this in their first attempts at a wild. I can't wait to see what else they have up their sleeve.

R&D Bourbon Barrel Kriek from New Glarus Brewing Company