Staghorn Octoberfest | New Glarus Brewing Company

Ratings: 1,075 |  Reviews: 333

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

This one has been in the top 10 in its style class since I can remember, and presently it's ranked #6. Thanks BeerFMAndy for sending me this one!

Served in a tulip.

A: Lots of suds on this mama jamma! I would best describe the color as that of rust (orange/red/grey), and impeccably clear.

S: More sourdough than most Marzens on the market, but with that sort of "mothball" quality that I commonly associate with the style. Not too potent, but still effective. Fresh, fresh, FRESH!

T: Oh yeah... right up my alley. This one didn't fall into that "too sweet for its own friggin good" that Great Lakes fell into for me. Initially, I thought it was going to be too sweet based on the nose, but the bitter graininess washed right over that. Bravo!

M: I think I'll name the bitterness Amanda, since that was the name of my first girlfriend. Really nicely composed in that area. The carbonation was low, but damn near perfect for my tastes.

O: I had the bar set pretty high on this one and New Glarus cleared it by a country mile. Not sure how much a sixer of this cost in Wisconsin, but I imagine it's pretty much the same as I'd grab a quality O-fest around here. I think I'll move to cheeseland during the fall.

3.76/5  rDev -4.8%

a beautiful clean copper pour with 2 fingers of detergent like head. very faint in the nose, getting some bread notes and some light caramel smell.
the flavor is a toasted nutty taste up front, almost like pecans. bready and malt heavy.. a great tasting octoberfest.
medium in body, high carbonation and a nice creamy mouthfeel.

overall a great seasonal from this brewery. very flavorful and quite fulfilling.

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%