Totally Naked | New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
newglarusbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Lager

Pure and crisp this is a beer with nothing to hide. Wisconsin two-row barley malt ensures a mellow and smooth body. We imported Noble Hop varieties from Germany and the Czech Republic to ensure a fine mature aroma with no coarse bitterness.

Added by cokes on 09-24-2002

Ratings: 1,153 |  Reviews: 308
1.86/5  rDev -48.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours clear yellow golden with a light white head that dissipates fast. Very clear in glass I can actually see through this brew. I can't remember the last time I drank a beer that I could see through. It actually looks nice on first pour. Aroma is corn and some hops, not too unpleasant. Corn on the flavor, there is something promising in the flavor but it goes away fast..hops. Leaves that nasty watery grain finish in your mouth. I guess this is how a lager is supposed to taste though. Have to get ahold of one of those higher rated beers to know for sure. Not very carbonated and feels like slime in my throat. This is worse than drinking water because it has some flavor in it that I have to wash away using water. Drain pour.

1.97/5  rDev -45.7%

Really light beer. No real flavor! Great!

2.06/5  rDev -43.3%

This poured a macro like yellow with a fizzy white head.

The smell had a stale macro quality to it.

The flavor was a bit corny and flat with a light grassy hop finish, very much like a typical mass produced euro pils.

The mouthfeel was watery and thin.

Overall just not real good.

2.11/5  rDev -41.9%

Poured a light golden color. White bubbly head thins but never completely disappears. Aroma is a big turn off, with a slighty pungent, unappealing scent. I coudn't really nail it down. Body is thin with a pleasant crispness. Hardly any after-taste, but something seemed oily. I would not buy this beer again and it's a shame because it's the first New Glarus beer to let me down. New Glarus has such a fine stable of flavorful beers, that Totally Naked leaves you Totally Unimpressed.

2.15/5  rDev -40.8%

Appearance - Clear, light gold. Bubbly. Thin soapy, white head. Looks like a macrolager.

Smell - Very faint malt and yeast. Pretty hard to detect - even for style.

Taste - Light but rich (a little caramel?) sweet malt flavor. One note, don't really notice any hops. Flavor is more full, and better, than any of the macrobrews. Even so, this is a bit uninspired.

Mouthfeel - Pretty good for a lager. Full and more foamy than bubbly. Not as astringent as many lagers.

Drinkability - I love most of the stuff made by New Glarus. This beer, though, is totally unnecessary. I hope New Glarus sells this stuff to the general public by the truckload, but I don't think I'll be a frequent quaffer.

2.44/5  rDev -32.8%

Appearance: golden color, No head, bland appearance.

Smell: not a lot of smell, maybe a little fruit but generally weak.

Taste: Boring, watery, bland, bitter

Mouthfeel: crip clean mouthfeel , very smooth.

Overall: would just like to state that this beer tastes like overpriced miller light. Also reminds me of moon man with out the strong flavor. stay away unless you like boring beer.

2.44/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Too light, little body. I'll stick to the maltier lagers.

2.45/5  rDev -32.5%

Pours light gold in a Pilsner glass with a very active body full of carbonation and a busy two finger, foamy head that dissipated completely four minutes after pour. Smell is mildly underwhelming, malt and lemon stand out amongst a background of grain - nothing that catches my attention or stands out so far. Taste is malt driven with an aftertaste that reminds me of Michelob Golden Light or any other American-made Lager - coats the throat in a way that makes me think back to nights gone by where I would have far too many beers for my own good. I had a feeling going into rating this beer that with my limited experience in the craft beer world that I would find too many similarities to the standard Lager beers found in the US. Nothing I would go rushing out to get again.

2.45/5  rDev -32.5%

Co-ed Get Naked? Pours a mostly hazy off-lemony yellow color. Some darker highlights like a dirty blond. The head is light with a good pour left a nice head but did quickly dissipate. Although not completely, living a thin line around the edges.

The nose is overall light. Even for style there should be some grainy and malt hints, but really not much depth at all. There is a slight yeasty note but nothing off flavored. Do I smell DMS?

The taste is more definable then the nose. Pale malt flavor with some lighter grainy touches. A sweeter finish then an American lager but light for a blond. There is a spiciness that is light but reminds me of some peppery notes but could be the hops as there really is none that you can speak of. There is a off finish that reminds me of honey beers but the body is bigger so its off setting.

The body is not exactly big but definitely not crisp. The carbonation helps. Overall, rather simple. I know its easy to blame style but really this could be much better.

2.48/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

For the current price of a New Glarus variety pack ($17.99 before taxes), this beer is definitely NOT WORTH IT. I can get a case and then some of Miller Light for this cost, with very little difference in product. This beer is described as an "American Pale Lager", but it sure tastes like a run-of-the-mill, mass-produced American pilsner to me. an In fact, Moon Man is the only beer in the sampler with any redeeming qualities, and that still doesn't come close to the price tag. This company has gotten by on the mere fact that it's only sold in Wisconsin for too long. Craft beer in America has gotten very good and very accessible in the past 20 years. There is nothing special going on with these unlimited releases by New Glarus. Maybe they're simply trying to placate the weekend vacationers and give them something safe, but I'll take my money elsewhere from now on.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle courtesy of Monger: Poured a golden color beer with a big pure white bubbly head with minimal retention. Aroma of light sweet malt is quite weak with no noticeable hops. Taste is also dominated by sweet malt which at least is pure malt and not some kind of adjunct. Carbonation is medium with a nice body. I understand they wanted to brew something light but this is a bit too light – I suggest sticking to the Yokel if you want a refreshing lager.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5