Thumbprint IIPA | New Glarus Brewing Company

newglarusbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-13-2011

4.34/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle no date

Pours cloudy yellow with an orange tint. Small sudsy head with a small amount of lacing. Smell is awesome: juicy piney fruit, pineapple, orange, lemon-lime in that order. Very sweet smelling. Taste is thick bready malt, lemon-pine hops, finishing semi-sweet and very oily/bitter. Mouthfeel is good, but knocked down a bit because of a slick feeling. Alcohol is hidden well but shows up a bit.

Great fresh-tasting double from New Glarus. Might have to make another run to WI...

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

Picked up a case of this directly from the brewery, so it looks to be quite fresh.

I had this last year, but didn't review it. The color is a bit lighter than you'd expect for an IPA. The frothy eggshell head retains for quite some time. This guy smells like it should: resinous, grapefruit & orange peel. The taste doesn't disappoint, either. My best description is that it tastes like hoppy tropical fruit juice. So...if that is your thing, seek it out! I believe the abv was bumped up a bit for this year's version. There is a bit of heat on the back end of this one, which I didn't detect last year.

Overall: I've been fortunate to have several of the titans of this class (Dready, Pliny, HopSlam). This isn't too far behing those, for my tastes. I was high on this last year: similar feelings for this year's edition. I'd put it ahead of Double Trouble, and right behind the other three mentioned.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

a: cloudy apricot colored body with three fingers of thick fluffy white head that displays excellent lacing and retention.

s: floral, citrus hops, grapefruit, lemon, pine, bread and a touch of sugar.

t: very hoppy. lemon and grapefruit are most dominate. a little bready malt and a little too much sugar for me.

m: medium to full body. excellent carbonation. a tad oily with a long dry bitter finish.

o: other than the sugar on the taste this is an excellent beer.

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Delicious looking dark golden color. Pours with little head.

S: Floral and citrus along with a very pronounced hoppy character.

T: This definitely has a bite to it. Strong hoppy bitterness but it is balanced excellently with the fruity flavors that are present. I can detect some alcohol taste at the end. Not suprising at almost 10%.

M: Medium carbonation. A big bite from the hops and a little bit from the alcohol. I believe that that is exactly what you want from and DIPA.

O: This is a great beer for this style. A lot of knock your sox off bitterness that gives way to some sweet, almost sugary flavors

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Thanks to my cousin Ryan for this one!

A- Hazy gold wih a nice fluffy 1.5 finger head

S- Insanely faint. Am I drinking this too cold? I left it out for 10 minutes and its an IIPA.. hmm A little bit of citrus fruit and piney hops,not much else.
Edit: Have had this a few times since and the nose was much brighter on the other bottles

T- Dayum. This is mighty tasty. Very sweet but with enough hop bitterness to balance it out. I know that sounds contradictory but you've got to try it to believe it

M- Pretty light without ranging into LITE territory. It works for the style and this individual beer

O- Very impressed as this may be the best I've had from NG. Keep up the good work guys!

3.7/5  rDev -11.5%

Bottle shared by Thorpe, thanks I love an IPA that I have never had.

Beer served in a snifter, it is amber / brownish and clear with a white head, medium one finger, small and medium bubbles, some lacing and a nice retention, minimal lacing, looks fine.

Aroma is a little piny and earthy with a malty backbone.

There is nothing wrong with this IPA as a beer but as an IPA it is too malt forward to me, medium in body, sweet up front, an interesting finish but only moderately bitter. I think it is fine but it is not my style. When I want an IPA I want a more aggressive hop presence and finish. Not some "balanced" malty beer. It is a fine beer but not a repeat for me.

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

a: hazy, golden copper. three finger head

s: grapefruit, citrusy hops. hint of caramel

t: grapefruit at first then transitions to piney hop through the end. slightly bitter finish.

m: light as cotton candy. it's like it comes in as liquid but then quickly evaporates once it's in the mouth. strange I know, but that's the sensation I'm getting.

o: This is a good DIPA. Very drinkable considering the abv but it does catch up after some time. I can't get over how light the mouthfeel is, almost surreal. I'm just rueing I only grabbed a 4 pack of this. Another trip to our good neighbor to the north is in order.

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours out a very lightly hazed golden amber color with three-four fingers of very stable foam that leaves behind medium-high quantities of lacing. Just a bit more lacing texture and I would have awarded a five for appearance.

Smells and tastes of a good mixture of grapefruit and citrics at first. Has an unusually smooth and sweet caramel malt presence mid-sip, finishes with the welcome fade-out of pine resin and citric peel residuals...

Very well-hidden ABV in both the taste and aroma. Body is on the thinner side of medium, carbonation is light and soft on the palate. This is a well-balanced IPA that is dangerously drinkable because of how it masks ABV and maintains a simplistic balance of bitter versus sweet that hits a good equilibrium as long as you don't expect it to be a west coast IPA, which it is not. Tasted just like a "workhorse" IPA until the hidden ABV reached my brain and reminded me to take things slowly with this one.

New Glarus continues their established practice of making beers that are better than the sum of their parts....from very few or minimalistic parts. Which speaks to the skill level of the brew master, because it is usually more difficult to excel with simplicity than it is to excel with complexity.

3.03/5  rDev -27.5%

Shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike.

The beer is hazy and straw yellow hued with a quarter inch of white head. The aroma brings a healthy malt bill, with some dank hops, hints of citrus, and a bold alcohol presence. The flavor is a balance of hops and malt, with the near 10% abv noticeable throughout. Dank hops and a bit of a sharp bite in the finish. Eh...this is such a competitive style, I don't see myself having this one again.

3.61/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to JeGross2 for including this in a trade. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a hazy golden orange hue with a one finger creamy white head that slumps down to a thick quarter inch head and nice sticky side lacing.

S - Soft pine and grapefruit citrus with a sweet malt backbone. A bit too malty for my liking.

T - Like the nose this has nice faint citrus and pine with more of the sweet malts. Again, this is just a bit too malty for my liking. I prefer a DIPA to be a big citrus bomb.

M - Mouthfeel is smooth and very lightly/softly carbonated. ABV is somewhat hidden.

O - Overall, this is probably a good beer, its just a bit too much past its time? for me. The citrus and pine hops are there, and were clearly prominant at some time but now they are now second fiddle to malts.

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%