Thumbprint IIPA | New Glarus Brewing Company

newglarusbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-13-2011

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a bright cloudy yellow with a half finger head and good lacing down the glass.

Smells of citrus with lots of yeasty tones.

Starts off with some citrus and grapefruit. Just a touch of bread then finishes pretty bitter and dry with a grapefruit pith flavor.

Medium carbonation and mouthfeel.

Pretty good. I enjoy the grapefruit flavors although I've had a few that have done it better. Still recommended though if you can get it.

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

I bought a single 12oz bottle of this from Woodman's in Janesville, WI for 2.59 in Spring 2011.

Pours a clear, light amber color with a thin head that leaves some slight lacing around the glass. The scent is oh so strong with dry, bitter hops with a little sweet apricot and bready yeast in the mix. Taste starts out strong and crisp really pounding the taste buds. The hops are well mixed with some sweet malts giving it a slight citrus taste that finshes smooth, crisp, and clean. I'm not normally one that likes the really hoppy beers, but this was fantastic. I highly suggest trying this if you can get your hands on it.

3.68/5  rDev -12%

A- Pours a hazy Yellow with a 2 finger white head. good lacing

S- Has a nice piney citrus smell with a little hint of yeast

T- Has a slight grapefruit flavor at the beginning and a nice smooth citrus flavor in the middle and then ends with a touch of pine

M-It is medium bodied with good carbonation

D-Overall this was a good drinkable DIPA. I would of liked some more hops to this DIPA but overall it was still good. Far off from my favorite DIPA but no way a bad DIPA

3.7/5  rDev -11.5%

Thnx to my sister for getting this one for me

A: as yellow as a republican at the DNC (or switch the two..no matter). Bubbly with a good amount of lace

S: I felt like I should be drinking this on the beach...nice fruit aroma/citrus/grapefruit

T: Nice IPA..didn't have the gusto of of CA DIPA, but a nice change overall. A hop bite was there, more or hickey than a chomp.

M: Nothing that needs mention...

O: I enjoyed it and would love a 2nd bottle to compare. Honestly didn't taste too DIPA like, but I have had it around for a couple months so the hops may have chilled a bit. I'd give it a try if you can.

3.64/5  rDev -12.9%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. Dark straw-colored and very bubbly body with a solid finger of frothy, nearly-white head and excellent retention. Thick bubbles lace the side of the glass. Beautiful beer.

Aroma is full of grapefruit. Decent array of tropical/citrus fruits, but overall very one-dimensional.

Flavor is still predominately citrus, especially grapefruit. Hint of pine on the finish, along with some earthy and soapy flavors. Nice spicy lemon zest hidden in there as well.

Medium/heavy body and good carbonation. Slightly slick and oily, but mostly smooth.

Drinkable but not particularly impressive. Much better DIPAs out there, I'd pass on this one.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours surprisingly clear, orange color, although some hop haze is evident. Develops a one-inch, white colored head with mediocre retention, quickly receding to a bubbly ring.

Aroma is pretty intense with some nice fruit aromas, mostly grapefruit and an overall zesty citrus quality, though there is also an interesting pineyness that adds a pitch like dankness to the aroma. Quite mouth-watering to say the least.

The flavor follows suit with some nice citrus fruit flavors, I get mostly grapefruit and orange. The Marris Otter adds a nice, bread-like graininess giving great balance to the upfront hoppiness. The finish is very well balanced with just a minor, non-lingering bitterness, with an overall dry finish.

Well, I always wished Dan would create a DIPA (never tried his first incantation) and I gotta say I am incredibly happy with the end result. Delicious, with a clean finish, that isn't over-poweringly bitter, with some nice hoppy flavors and very well balanced. This is certainly on par with some of the best DIPAs, and surpassing a vast majority on the market. Overall, I love his beer and plan to purchase it as often as I can while it's fresh.

*EDIT* I reviewed this back when it was released, but for some reason my review got moved to the Unplugged IIPA? This is a different release, so not sure why that is, but I am reposting my review here where it belongs.

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

A - Pours slightly hazy orange/honey with one finger of off-white head. Head has decent retention anleaves some nice lading.

S - Mostly citrus hops with a bit of noticeable alcohol. Only a faint amount of malt.

T - Nice bitterness up front, mostly grapefruit zest and a bit of lemon. More malt in the taste than the smell, but definitely more hops than malt. Finishes with some juicy citrus. Nice lingering lemon.

M - Medium mouthfeel. The finish is bitter but not as dry and clean as with many other DIPAs.

O - The bright lemon notes make this one stand out. Still, this is a good but not great DIPA. I'm glad to have tried it, but wouldn't go out of my way for it.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Pours a light blondish orange color with two finger head. Nice lacing along sides of glass.

S - Orange, mango, pine, lemon. All the citrus going on here.

T - Full pine flavored hoppiness comes right out of the gate follow by a balancing malt bill and then a wave of alcohol enters the picture showing it's 9% abv.

M - Medium with average carbonation. Oily, sticky. Coats entire mouth nicely.

O - Solid IIPA from New Glarus. I like that this one has less malt backbone compared to several other DIPA's I've tried. Very crisp and refreshing despite the higher abv in this brew. Well done!

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Tulip.

A. 2 finger head. Good lacing. Nice retention. Color is a dark brownish orange.

S. Piney hops and some grapefruit. Malt is farely dry smelling. Not really an over the top smelling, but well balanced and good.

T. Big flavor. Nice hop bitterness. Not a huge amount of hop flavor other than tongue bruising back of tongue bitterness.

M. Full bodied. Liked the mouthfeel on this. Felt like chewy hoppiness. Medium carbonation. Lingering bitterness.

O. Would have liked to get this a little bit fresher, but I was impressed. Not that I expected anything less than a good beer from New Glarus. Not the best DIPA in the world, but a well balanced easy drinking beer that displays hop bitterness well. Opens up nice as it warms.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

This is the first of the Thumb Print series I get to try courtesy of a great trade with BYOFB.

This is a clouded brew the color of which resides somewhere between yellow and amber. A light yellowish head settles to a bit over one finger tall and sits like a craggy pillow on top. Lacing is left in sticky deposits nicely down the glass. A very pretty beer, this.
The smell bursts right off the opening of the bottle with a nicely complex hops bouquet. Ripe fruits varying from citrus to tropical mingle with a bit of pine and some earthiness. A bit of malts adds some balance, but fresh pineapple is the main event. It smells delicious.
The flavor is good, more of a leafy bitterness pulling through over the juicy hops, though. Pine really pulls through with some resinous and pith notes. Malts keep the hops from being too bracing, and I wouldn't go beyond saying the balance is good.
The body is medium and carbonation is light. A nice, pacesetting crispness is in the feel along with a very nice, mellow smoothness that stays creamy all the way through the finish.

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%

New Glarus IIPA, label copy…blah, blah, blah,…A provocative 85 IBUs reverberates cleanly through this double IPA. True hops saturation from kettle boil to dry hop cellaring dominates this elegant and lustful sensory enchantment. You hold a deceptively seductive Original Gravity of 19.2 % Plato, now 9% ABV, following the always 100% natural bottle fermentation. Luscious English Maris Otter malt tis the essential heart of this voluptuous double IPA. Surrender is inevitable so enjoy now."

I'll take that advice. And, here we go…

Beautiful clouded peachy coloration, huge, milky white head. Lovely stuff.
Now, let's smell it…

Pithy, musty, pungent, deep down and slightly sour. Grapefruit and mango, fermenting pineapple juice, and ripe banana.

In the mouth, hops aplenty. All those bitter, hoppy citric fruit flavors pounce again on the palate. And the alcohol heat rises up a little. Crisp, delicious malt holds down the stage, hops dance and keep the tongue happy. Prickly, tingly, and utterly hoppy.

One excellent double IPA, great job, Dan & Deb!

3.57/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours a nice tangerine amber with a 1 finger head. Smells wondeful, holy xmas tree, its like they blended one up and stuffed it in the bottle. Really a wonderful, resiny, pine hop aroma jumps out at you, subdued citrus notes, and a little malt in the background. Pine and grass hit my mouth first, citrus and lemon, bitter but with not enough maltyness to back it up for my taste. Mouthfeel was a bit dry, woody, and cloying for me, some may like it, but this was not my favorite, a little out of balance for my tastes. Wonderful flavors, just not finished in my opinion.

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A- pours a light orange, dark yellow with a one finger white head that laces pretty well

S- pretty solid citrus smell in this one, though that's the only aroma I'm really getting

T- some citrus in the beginning...intensely bitter pine in the finish, but it doesn't stick around for awhile, at least

M- thick, but not syrupy.

O- I've had better, but from a brewery like New Glarus that isn't obsessed with hops, its a solid effort

4.54/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured into a pint glass

Appearance: pours a golden yellow. fairly cloudy as it filled my glass but became a bit more transparent as it settled down. nice big white head.

Aroma: as soon as this beer started to fill my glass i smelled sweet hops. pine is probably the strongest. definitely citrus as well

Palate: feels fairly full in your mouth for an IPA. most of the flavor sat on my tongue, didn't notice heavy carbonation or anything. the after taste evolves into more of the sweet/spice flavors of this beer.

Taste: this was a perfect balance of hopiness, flavor and alcohol. some dipas are either too hoppy or too alcoholic and leave you wanting more flavor. NG nailed it on this one.

Overall: this surprised me. usually NG does well and i enjoy pretty much all their beer, but this one knocked it out of the park. one of my new all time favorite dipas. this is right up there next to their belgian red in terms of quality. im going back to the store today and getting more. absolutely loved this beer!

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Reviewed this back in April, but it appears it was deleted due to some beer switches on here. Thankfully I save my reviews.

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint.

(A)- Pours a clear straw yellow color. Produced an awesome white fluffy head with fantastic retention. Tons of sticky lace left behind as it finally went down.

(S)- A great combo of dry pine and fresh citrus of lemon, lime, pineapple, and grapefruit. Neither overpowers the other; a harmonious blend of the two.

(T)- Very similar to the smell. A really nice combo of dry pine and fresh citrus zest. Finishes just lightly sweet with caramel malts.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. Smooth, yet a fitting bitterness level. Complex citrus and a mellow maltiness.

(D)- An excellent DIPA. Neither component overpowers the other; creating an excellently balanced beer for the style in my opinion. Crisp and refreshing, this would be an great DIPA for the summertime. New Glarus always comes up with a surprise each year, and this year, they have just started!

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The color is a pale gold with a lasting small head. There is minimal lacing. The aroma was noticeable pine and grapefruit. The taste is grapefruit with a slight bread undertone.
The mouthfeel is well carbonated with not drying or thinness.
Once again, I am grateful to New Glarus for producing a good brew and to my wife for traveling to Wisconsin for our annual rails to trails ride.

3.68/5  rDev -12%

A - Hazy, yellow in color with a white head of three fingers with a medium pour. Good lacing and fair retention.

S - Citrus and pine, but not as strong as other IIPAs I've had. A little lacking but smooth.

T - Mostly grapefruit. While smooth and balanced it's not my favorite. It seems one dimensional in my opinion.

M - The mouthfeel is carbonated well. Not too sweet, so it's easy to go back for more.

O - A good IIPA, but not my favorite. I feel it could be more hop forward, but that's how I prefer my IIPAs. It is well balanced for those looking for something not too hop forward.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a crystal clear golden copper, with 1-2 fingers of rich eggshell-white head (although it does have a bit more of an off-look to it at times as well). This retain with rich ½ finger of froth, which maintains some creamy edging in particular and leaves back a lot of sticky lacing which dots the sides of the glass. The aroma is floral and piney up front and is layered on top of herbal accents and a fresh mix of fruit, both of the juicy variety and the more bitter grapefruit type as well. Malts offer a supportive grainy sweetness underneath the hops, while I’m getting a good bit of peppery spice, which starts to emerge a bit as this warms.

The taste is fresh and bright with bitter grapefruit giving this a lot of flavor and being softened on the edges by a herbal feel and the sweetness of grains and ripe tropical fruit (pineapple and mango are really standing out to me). The finish is warm and spicy, with lingering notes of dry pine and pith, but I’m fortunately not finding this to be overly intense. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a light sharpness to the carbonation up front that then gets progressively more smooth and creamy as things spread out into the mouth, thanks to an underlying sleek oiliness from the hops. There is some warmth to this that intensifies those hop flavors a bit and it’s real borderline for me as to whether or not it’s interfering at all with this.

Coming from New Glarus, I had high hopes for this and I was very pleased to not be let down. Despite some age on this, the hop flavors here still had a fresh, clean, and flavorful pop to them, yet this was still very well balanced. My only complaint was with the alcohol content but I was even able to forgive even that for the most part when the overall experience was done as well as this was. I’m going to seek some fresher examples of this out in the future. It was pretty darn good.

4.14/5  rDev -1%

2011 vintage. Pint glass.

Pours opaque straw golden with a little white foam, some lacing but not great retention. Smell is a big hoppy pine and some floral notes with a honey malt backbone. Taste is a big pine and resin and honey malts, rye breadiness, finishes with verrrry slight bitterness. Pretty good stuff. Full bodied with moderate carbonation, a little sticky. Overall, a very solid West Coast offering from a fantastic Wisconsin brewery. Keep it up.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

A- Transparent gold. The head fades fairly quickly. No cloudiness at all.

S-Good balance in the aroma, grapefruit and pine, based on my experience I'd say simcoe hops.

T-Great balance of citrus hop flavor and piney hop flavor with slight malt sweetness to balance the hops. For 85 IBU's this is extremely smooth and balanced.

M-Sometimes IIPA's are really malty and sweet which can take away from the hops. This beer is not thick and malty.

O-This is one of the most balanced IIPA's I've had. Personally I like the IIPA's that are more malty but I think I'm in the minority. This beer let's the hops be the star with just enough malt sweetness to balance things out. As with everything else from New Glarus you can tell this recipe was very well thought out while staying true to the style of beer. This is what an IIPA is supposed to be.

Reviewed on: 03-29-2011 01:17:31
Taken from review applied to Unplugged Imperial IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

Allow me to preface this by stating I’m aware this is probably a bit past its prime. However, I will still review as objectively as I can.

Appearance – Pours a hazy tangerine color into a tulip. About a finger of white head appears which dissipates quickly but literally coats the class with lacing.

Smell – A wonderful citrus aroma (pineapple, papaya, orange, mango), weed (no joke), still a decent amount of hops, and a sweet malty backbone.

Taste – Hurray! While this is a sweet IIPA, it is not from an excessive malty backbone; it is more so from the sweet aforementioned fruits from the aroma. Lots of citrus (mango in a big way), a nice caressing of hops, and a slight malty backbone. Very surprised by this beer coming from NG.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, quite creamy, lower carbonation.

Overall – I am sitting here kicking myself for sending the other three of these I purchased out as extras. A very interesting IIPA and one I would drink again. I really enjoyed the sweeter side of this beer, mainly from the wonderful fruit flavors (what else should I have expected with this coming from NG!?!). If you get this, try it now!

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

A-Pours a clear yellow amber color with a quarter finger of white foam.

S-Honey and tangerines with juicy pineapple notes.

T-Sweet pineapple and honey with a crisp, light bitterness on the finish.

M-This is just about perfect for me for a double IPA. Medium bodied with low carbonation and a somewhat syrupy feel.

D-A pretty tasty and palatable IIPA. I would most likely repeatedly buy this if it was brewed more often and more easily accessible to me.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured a bright clean amber/orange color with a light off white head, good retention and light lacing.

The smell has a nice light toasted malt quality mixing in with some real funky hops with a light buttery quality and a hint of lemon.

The flavor follows the nose very closely with a good malt backbone and that hint of diacytle butteryness is even more apparent here. The strong hops really start to take over the more you drink, very light lemony with a long lingering bitter grassy finish.

The mouthfeel is thick and full with a touch of hoppy resin.

Very solid double IPA, I like the touch of buttery diacytle like flavor and the nice english malt backbone, makes this beer stand out a bit from the pack.

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured a nice rich golden color with a bit of white head and some decent lacing as well. Nice solid hop aroma, not overpowering though. Taste is fantastic, very well balanced with a great bitter finish. Light to medium bodied beer with a great mouthfeel. This beer goes down extremely smooth for a 9% beer. I really like this one a lot. Great tasting, easy drinking beer. I'll buy this one a lot while its available.

Thumbprint IIPA from New Glarus Brewing Company