Laughing Fox | New Glarus Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Added by Wisconsinality on 08-23-2011

4.2

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

12oz bottle into SN imperial pint. Thanks Chris!

A: Pours a dark toasted amber color with a huge, billowing, fluffy, off-white head that took forever to fade into a thick rocky film that left chunky of lacing clinging behind.
S: Clove and banana mix with clean wheat and a bit of spicy hops and yeast. Crisp smelling.
T: Sweet and clean flavors of banana, clove, and minerally chalky yeast. There’s just a touch of bubblegum and wheat as well. The finish has a touch of citrus, and the aftertaste is herbal, caramelly and full of earthy spicy hops.
M: Very smooth fluffy carbonation, slick and drying mouthfeel, medium-thin body.
O: Clean, slick and smooth flavor that goes down easy. Nothing super special about this one, but there’s nothing wrong with it either.

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

vigorous pale golden yellow with a huge head of fizzy white lace, took several pours before the entire bottle could be released in a very tall glass. Lots of carbonation was apparent from the start through the absolutely flawless crystal clear nature of it. No sediment and no haze at all. Head settled down to just a thin film and that lasted throughout, but leaving copious side lace. Smell was very light, almost non existent at first but then some nice grain aromas broke though with a touch of yeast to add. Light flavor as well, just a nice light wheat flavor is really all that can be said about it. Mouth feel was again very light with ample carbonation it went down like water. Huge session ale here, this had all the earmarks of a hot summer day in the backyard brew.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

New Glarus Laughing Fox. "In playful pursuit of butterflies, a Red Fox danced across the brewery hill. His joy so pure it bubbled through our hearts and into this beer. Laughing Fox is a sparkling Kristal Weizen brewed in the Bavarian tradition with 50% Wisconsin wheaten our open top fermenters. …blah, blah, blah, …This is easy drinking beer perfect for a friendly Wisconsin evening. Relax, this is God's country, here we have the strength to reach for the stars and change the world."

Well, that was one of the most over-wrought labels I've ever read, here in Satan's Backyard, Minneapolis. Some of the sentences I skipped prove this even further, but I'm censoring the descriptors so I can do it myself. And so…

Big, booming off-white head, clear, with caramel-toned coloring…a bit darker than I anticipated.

Spicy, clove notes, …rye malt? Cinnamon, brown sugar. Enticing, and lively.

Brisk, sparkling mouthfeel, leads to sterling consumability. Clean, to the point where I miss the texture a non-filtered wizen would bring. Some fruit in here, some apple, cherry, maybe. This flavor grows and covers up that patch missing in the character. Becomes more likable further in…but it doesn't go far enough.

This is the final bottle in the 6-pack. The other five made no impression on me, really, and at this last one, I feel I won't be missing it. New Glarus continues to be a brewery that misses almost as much as hits with me. But the hits deserve their accolades, don't get me wrong. This one? Eh.

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

poured from a bottle into a pint glass...

pours a nice golden-amber - almost like an apple cider in color - with a generous, slow-fading white head that falls to show minimal lacing.

smells heavy of apple at the start which faded quickly to banana and bubble gum.

the taste is a surprise in that it is so subtle in everything...nothing is really coming through for me here, I'm at a loss...the only thing that I'm getting is bubble gum, which I don't care for.

the mouthfeel is solid - good carbonation and a lingering bit of tingle on the tongue.

overall I'm really not sure how to rate this - at first, from the appearance and smell, I had high-hopes, but the taste was so subtle and almost bland for me that I'm not really a fan at first tasting.

12 ounce bottle poured into pint glass. Huge frothy off-white head sitting on a clear medium-amber body. Good retention and moderate lacing.

Aroma is banana and clove. Light citrus and bubble gum, and mildly wheaty. Touch of cinnamon and vanilla.

Very clean, crisp flavor. Fruity and lightly spiced, with just a minimal wheaty presence.

Sharp, crisp, light-medium body with good carbonation.

I'm not a huge fan of most wheat beers, but I always come in with an open mind. This is a very clean, very drinkable beer. Solid, if not particularly memorable.

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

poured from 12oz bottle into imperial pint glass

A-nice burnt orange with about a 3 finger head that last a long time leaving a lot of lacing and finally settled to about a 1/4" cap

S-some spicy banana is what I get most for a smell in this one

T-bananas at first and then as it warms to room temperature more of the clove comes out

M-pretty light but good carbonation and dry finish

O-my wife picked this up for me and when I saw it was sort of filtered hefewiezen I wasn't sure I would like it since I don't care for most hefeweizen, but I was suprised to find it was better than I was expecting

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours a clear amber with a massive off-white head.

Huge bubblegum aroma. A little bit of banana, spice and clove, but I've never smelled a beer quite like this.

Taste follows the aroma. Loads of bubblegum flavor. Just a touch of clove which is my personal preference. Just a little bit of caramel sweetness.

Fairly light mouthfeel with good carbonation.

I love a good take on a more traditional style and New Glarus usually pulls it off better than anyone and this is no exception. Very good beer.

4.35/5  rDev +13%

I a bought a 6pk of this from Woodman's in Janesville, WI for $6.99 in Fall 2011.

Pours an amber orange color with a fluffy white head. Scent is full of wheats with a slight bitter scent mixed with bananas. The taste has a similar taste that reminds me of biting into an apple. I know there is a lot of wheat to this beer but I'm getting more apple tasting hints. This is a smooth, tasty brew that is a great drink for the fall harvest weather.

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Thanks to storminspank for this. First review of a Kristalweizen.

A: Medium amber in color with great clarity. One finger white head with disappointing retention and lacing.

S: Lots of bubblegum. Slight banana and clove coming through. Some slight wheat.

T: Slight caramel upfront. Bubblegum, banana, clove, a touch of coriander. Finishing wheaty.

M: Light to medium bodied. Good mouth coating. Medium carbonation. Slightly oily.

O: A good beer. Nothing special. Light, tasty, sessionable.

Laughing Fox from New Glarus Brewing Company