Thumbprint Barley Wine | New Glarus Brewing Company

3.89/5
Alströms:

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Mike for cracking this one; I always look forward to something I haven't had from New Glarus. This one has a shockingly light hue for a barley wine; deep golden yellow with a substantial haze throughout. The "head" fades insanely quick and settles as a stark-white ring around the top of the beer as it just sits, still and motionless.

The nose contains quite a bit of hops, especially considering the style. Florals, grassy hops, perfume, light citrus, tart lemon zest, and some herbs are spread out across a light blanket of some sticky caramel and toasted, bready malt.

The hop character seems to be a bit heavier than the malts, and the malts don't seem as dark or sweet as you think they'd be, considering the style. It almost reminds me of a super strong double IPA that's been sitting for a while and the hops have toned down to "not quite DIPA" levels.

Again, the first sip isn't screaming "barley wine", as the beer is actually quite hoppy. I've had hoppy barley wines, sure, but this one just doesn't seem to fit the style. Herbs, leaves, peppery, grassy, and full of underlying citrus; sweet and even mildly tart. Would be a pretty good hop bill for a D/IPA.

After a bit of some time, I finally start getting some barley wine essence; the malts open up and grow with warmth; sticky caramel, toffee, and quite a bit of sweet toast. There's also some apple-y sweetness in the finish that closes things out quite nicely, along with a subtle boozy warmth. The body is heavy and sticky like a barley wine should be, with minimal carbonation.

A little perplexing, that's for sure. Not quite the barley wine I was expecting, but it was still a pretty tasty brew. It took a while for me to come around to it, but in the end it was pretty good. Barley wine? Extra-malty DIPA? What's the difference, really? Far from New Glarus's best offering, but still worth a try.

2.97/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A - Almost a burnt orange, pencil thin white head- dissipates very quickly but sticking to the rim, light carbonation rising

S - Aged fruit - pineapple, cherry, apple, orange, very hoppy, and booze

T - Ripe pineapple, carmel, orange, apple. finish: hoppy booze

M - Moderate frothiness, good coverage around the mouth. acidity pricks the tongue. low viscosity.

O - Most different color ive seen in a barley wine. Missing the toffee malt backbone. Certainly a sipper at 12 abv. Very hop centered- no doubt its American. But the ripe pineapple isn't pleasant- far too sweet. Get no taste of the 'Toasty Graham cracker'. I am pretty disappointed in NG with this. Three more will certainly sit in the cellar. We'll check back in a few years. Hopefully this pineapple/booze can simmer down a bit.

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

4.2/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

355ml bottle poured into tulip 28/5/13 cheers MasterSki and Sean9689 for sending the bottle

A glows an orange amber with a slight haze due to tiny suspended particles, looks a little flat but there's two fingers of soapy foam that's gone before I really observed it and leaves a few random patches of lace

S smells of candied pineapple and wheaty cereal, caramels strong with a little pine, It smells more like a DIPA and that suits me fine

T some tropical hops work well, this would've been an absolute palate wrecker fresh, a little booze but if this has the 12% behind it that I see listed I'm impressed with how well they concealed the booze

M thick and syrupy and it takes some effort to pull my lips apart, shes one sticky brew, slick after the fact with a DIPA like piney caramel aftertaste, if this is really 12% I'm impressed because other then my sideways walking and my head heating up there's not a whole lot of booze proof

O hopped to hell BW and I'm happy with that, hits all the spots and I don't even know if I'd want to age a bottle

my bottle's stamped 3611 on the neck and according to Fresh Beer Only that would mean this was bottled Feb, 2011, if that's the case I'm worried how this tastes fresh. young BW?, old DIPA? either way I'd drink another

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%