R&D Sour Ale | New Glarus Brewing Company

newglarusbrewing.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by 4DAloveofSTOUT on 08-11-2012

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle shared by mdfb79. Thanks Dan.

Ther beer is hazy and autumnal orangish brown in color with a small, fleeting head. The aroma is wonderful, with scents of oak, ripe fruit, sour funk, vinegar, wine. The flavor is equally as complex. Some cherry and wine character in a Flanders style. Immediately I thought this is the best sour / wild ale offering from new Glarus. Light to medium in bodied with moderately low carbonation. A nice acetic bite in the finish. A very tasty brew. Recommended.

4.54/5  rDev +6.1%

From 11/17/12 notes. I bought this at the brewery a few weeks ago; almost passed as I thought the bottle was 2 Women Lager, luckily Sara saw it. Brought to the big Eclipse tasting to break up the stouts, poured into a tulip.

a - Pours a hazy, deep orange-brown color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smell is super funky; I love it. Smells of cheese, barnyard funk, oak, acedic, light fruits, apricots, and earthy notes. The nose is really reminiscence of a great Belgian gueuze; just an awesome nose for an American Wild.

t - Tastes of barnyard funk, cheese, earthy notes, oak, citrus, apricots, fruits, floral notes. Not quite as funky as the nose but still awesome; really loving this one.

m - Light to medium body and low to moderate carbonation. Acedic body, pretty nice for a gueuze style beer.

o - Overall I was blown away by this one; I think it's one of the best beers I've had from New Glarus, and one of the best American made gueuze style beers I've had. My favorite from the R&D series so far, it is just super funky and cheesey. Wish I could have grabbed a few more bottles of this one, would love to have it again sometime.

4.17/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle shared by Dan, thanks Dan. Glad you could make it down to DC for the tasting. Served in a snifter. Beer is sort of brown / amber with a haze, wispy white head, small bubbles, some lacing, moderate retention. Looks fine.

Aroma is gueuze holy holy gueuze, tart, oaky, brett, harsh, strong, bright. Smells great.

Beer is thin in body and has a tart finish, a really nice beer overall, bretty / oak character, sour throughout, I'd definitely have this one again, best sour to date from this brewery.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle shared by Sean? Todd also shared one of these a while back too, so thanks to both of you guys. Served in a Cigar City snifter.

A - White foam settles to a collar, wisps, and minimal lacing. Hazy red-orange body.

S - Aroma is a mix of lactic and vinegary acidity, light sulfur, stone fruits, and mild oak. Very convincingly lambic-esque other than the more present oak flavor.

T - The taste has a bit more stone fruit sweetness, with flavors of peach and apricot. Less acetic here, with more lactic sourness, and a touch of oaky vanilla.

M - Medium body, with pleasant carbonation, and a pucerkingly dry texture. A tad juicer than you'd expect from the style, and no discernible alcohol. Moderate acidity

D - This is a really excellent beer, and bodes well for New Glarus' 'lambic' program. It's definitely more sour and acidic side than traditional lambics but otherwise surprisingly authentic. Would happily drink this regularly even though I imagine it might cause stomach distress in large volumes.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

500mL bottle poured into a tulip.

(A)- Pours a lightly hazed orange hue. Small white froth and bubbles.

(S)- A huge nose of funky cheese, dry hay, and subtle lactic oak.

(T)- Oaky, with the subtle lactic bits. Not as funky as the smell was, but more of the oak shines through. Not as sour as expected, but its very subtle at this point.

(M)- A good carbonation level. A nice quick sharpness that is signs of a present acidity that grows into a softer oaky funk.

(O)- I love New Glarus' experimentation beers and this is no different. Time might help this develop more, but it really showcases what oak and funk can do together well. I look forward to trying this again in a year or so.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to RoamingGnome for this bottle!

Served chilled in a Duvel tulip

A - pours a murky light brown-yellow, loads of carbonation, yellow-white head, about 3 fingers worth

S - wow, very intense sour, tangy citrus, a little funky, the oak creeps in in the end

T - again, very sour lemon/grapefruit up front, then a solid amount of bitterness overtakes the palate.

M - Thin, a bit dry, this would be quite refreshing on a hot summer day, good amount of carbonation

O - a different beast than Enigma that I recently got hold of, more intense in all aspects, not as sweet. Probably the most sour of the sours I've ever tasted in my short sour-history. Very solid, really glad I got a chance to sample this one. Definitely recommend.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Picked up a couple bottles at New Glarus in August during our raid over the border to the Great Taste of the Midwest. Always a pleasure. Both events. 500ML bottle split with my wife.

Leave an ounce or so in the bottle since it's gloppy & foosty. The resulting pour is a partly sunny orange that causes no joint pain. Nose is nicely sour without tearing out any graying nose hairs, plus a little apple, clean rain earth, straw. Nice. Very nice.

R&D Sour Ale is my kind of sour, leaving all my enamel on my teeth. Nicely tart, almost sour, with a kick of dry that sucks my saliva like water from a well. Lovely citrus. For a sour this is easy to drink.

Simple. Direct. Tasty. This isn't one of those depth-of-field beers, more of a sour for those who don't like gullet-ripping sours (like me). Delicious. A- from my wife, who never reached that level for a sour. Excellent. Another win from New Glarus.

4.62/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

appearance: golden yellow, lots of bubbles, thin white head. honestly, looks like an ipa

aroma: oak, funk, wheat, lemon. but pretty light overall.

palate: it stings, it drinks easy, its bubbly, pretty much all you can ask in the feel of a beer. great variety, every sip is fun

taste: huge oak and funk, some citrus, some maltyness, some cherry? very robust, very balanced, just flat out awesome

overall: honestly, this is about the best sour ale ive ever had. its not my favorite style, and it lacks a little bit in the aroma department, probably could be a bit funkier, but just about the most balanced, yet with enough kick, sour/lambics ive ever had. maybe could benefit from more of a fruit forward taste, like stronger lemon or cherry, but then again its very diverse in its offering. this is on par with upland lambics and the west coast sours ive had. great offering from NG!

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

From 9/13/12 Tasting Notes

500 ml bottle poured into CBS snifter. Served this slightly chilled.

A) Pours out a light acorn brown with a little haze. There was a good 2 fingers of froth, which slowly settled to a dusting. Not much lacing.

S) Distinctly yeasty and a bit funky. There's some spice to this, combined with a nice earthy/oaky aroma. A bit of flower petal. You could pick up the sourness.

T) Wild and funky. Nicely spiced, mild pepper on the backend. This is has a pleasant woody/earthy/grassy flavor that mingles with the sour, creating a mouth watering experience.

M) Medium body with a pretty zesty amount of carbonation. The carbonation combined with the sourness created in this brew provide a pleasurable mouthfeel. As indicated above, my mouth was watering like crazy after each sip, which really made me want that next sip all the more. I think I'm beginning to understand the allure of this style.

O) Just happened to be at New Glarus for this release, and I must say I'm glad I scooped up two bottles. I am admittedly not someone with much sour experience, but this brew really grew on me with each passing sip. It's not the type of beer I could see myself drinking everyday, or after mowing the lawn, but it is the type of beer I could see myself having a total craving for under certain circumstances. Highly enjoyable... If you can get a bottle, give this a try. Glad to recommend...

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to lem4prez for hooking me up with this!

Smell is a combination of funk/sweet tarts/oak. Nice, but not extraordinary.

Taste is lemony/funky/a bit oaky with a nice sour kick at the end. Very tasty, and frankly a bit more puckering than I was expecting, which is great.

Overall, this is a very nice sour. Probably more of what some people call an entry level sour, but it's still quire good. After tasting this, I am really looking forward to trying everything that comes out of NG's new lambic cellar!

R&D Sour Ale from New Glarus Brewing Company