Serendipity | New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
newglarusbrewing.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Severe Drought, we shared the farmer’s horror as Wisconsin’s cherry crop failed! Dan bought what cherries he could. The Apple crop fared better. Then joy! A grand Wisconsin cranberry harvest. What will Dan brew with Apples, Cranberries and Cherries? Oh my! You hold the happy accident of Wisconsin’s favorite fruit aged in oak with an almost magical wild fermentation. Serendipity is a wondrous celebration that sparkles your senses and dances across your palate. A kaleidoscope of flavor discovered by accident in a sour ale!

Cheers to the unexpected.

Added by Lemke10 on 10-15-2012

#354
Liked:
4.35/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,871 |  Reviews: 299
4.2/5  rDev -3.4%

4.42/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.31/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Keeping with other New Glarus beers I've had, this tasted like pure juice. In this case I got mostly apple. I'm not huge into these types of beers, because they're just a touch too sweet for me, but this was still very solid, and the people at the bottle share I was at went ape$hit for it.

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.48/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.58/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle poured into a flute

A- A clear ruby red with a two finger tan head

S- Cranberries, apple cider, tart cherries, a very nice balance between the sweetness and tartness of the fruits, hints of cinnamon, oaky undertones.

T- Lots of cranberries, tart cherries, nice sweet/tart apple combo going on, hints of cinnamon and oak.

M- Smooth, light body.

O- Just as amazing as Raspberry Tart and Wisconsin Belgian Red, almost tastes like a Jolly Rancher. Very easy to drink. Fruits are well balanced and super tasty.

4.25/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.09/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.61/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.48/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.37/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.64/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The pour is like a barrel of cherries and cranberries made love and this is the aftermath. Whitish pink head. 100% opaque save for the bottom which lets a little light in to illuminate upward like a bulb in a lava lamp. Not much head, and not much lace...but it's still present, and a thin half dollar spine height line of head still remains stable.

Aroma is not complex, but it is incredibly, impressively powerful. Both fresh cranberries and cranberry cocktail light up the nose, with hints of barrel following with tart cherries and sweet plum...it's just a kid's carnival all over the place. I could sniff this beer all day, but luckily it doesn't stop there...

And a grin curls on my face as I taste every single nuance on the bottle...snappy cranberry highlights the majority of the profile, followed by rich, sweet, Door County cherries, finishing up with what I can only describe as grape Jolly Rancher. The oak and barrel begin to arrive as the beer warms up a bit, as does the sweetness, replacing the pucker so prominent with an ice cold sample. I could do with a bit more malt or barrel qualities, but perhaps that will come out more if I age this. I mean, I don't even know how I could improve on something like this.

Rich and decadent, yet bright and poppy - the carbonation plays a perfect counterpart to the wine-like richness of the feel in the mouth. Another category notched.

Overall, I'm so confused because I think this is my favorite NG beer. But yet, I've rated Apple Ale higher - because when I had it, it was the best beer I had to date. I think this is better than NG's Apple Ale. I'm pretty sure of it. In either case, Serendipity is a freaking knock out. I knew I did the right thing by grabbing 5 bombers while I was in Wisconsin. Nothing on the market comes even CLOSE to nailing the fruity, bright, tart, barrel aged goodness that is going on here. Its only fault is not being beery...it's fruit first, beer second. For this reason I am still conflicted.

Every beer lover must try this once.

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

4.34/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.93/5  rDev +13.3%

4.46/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.28/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.42/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.79/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

4.79/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.39/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pour is a super murky dark brown, mahagony hue. Small off white colored ring of head with nice lacing. Aroma is a big bouquet of apples, smells almost like apple juice with a cranberry tartness in the background. Following the nose well, the taste is like dessert. Apples, apple pie crust with hints of cranberries with an even more sweet crust in the back end. Mouthfeel is surprisingly thick and decadent. Nothing overly complex, nice, not too sweet and straight to the point.

Serendipity from New Glarus Brewing Company