Thumbprint Wild Sour Ale | New Glarus Brewing Company

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
newglarusbrewing.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Naturally soured by farm valley winds blowing wild yeast into our oak casks. Finally, after a year and a half of patient coaxing Wisconsin dark malts whirl in a kaleidoscope of cedar, caramel and tart green plum exuberance. Available to the exclusive few who travel off the beaten paths, this is authentic Wisconsin sour brown ale. Truly unique this Sour Ale is brewed for those who live on the wild side and is suitable for laying down or consuming immediately, serve at 40 – 45 °F.

Added by Stevedore on 07-09-2013

#588

Ratings: 1,063 |  Reviews: 135
Reviews by Vylo:

4.31/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Oofta, what Wisconsin can do! Brought it back to my displaced home for now of New York in a four pack of 12 oz. bottles. How I missed my favorite New Glarus brews, and discovered a few new ones, this being one of them. I also recommend highly the Raspberry Tart and Wisconsin Belgian Red. Also picked up some Two Women, Fat Squirrel, Spotted Cow, and Totally Naked which I will be reviewing in due time.

L: poured into a standard pint glass, pours a dark whiskey brown with golden honey hues at the edge of the glass. Just under a two finger head of creamy off white, very slight mustard tint. Head dissipates fairly quickly, I’ll get back to that. Cloudy, inconsistent lacing follows it down the glass slllooowwwlllyyy.

S: oh goodness. Fermented dark fleshy fruit, plum like scent precedes a SUPER funky faint rye bread fullness. A bit of fermented tobacco.

T: spunky, funky, yeasty sourness without too much bitter tartness. This tastes like the delectable, perplexing, high ABV beer you expect it to be. Slightly sweet, honey like at the end. Extremely complex. This beer separates myself from über experiences beer tasters. I’ll get there.

F: super carbonated at first, disspitating quickly to borderline syrupy feel if you hold it in your mouth for a few seconds. Slight (slight!!!) alcohol burn on the throat, but that might just be the sour spunkiness confusing me.

O: my favorite beer I’ve had since Switchback Smoked Marzen. Fantastic showing of a challenging style. I’m in love with everything about this beer. Extremely unique. I wish I had more friends here in NY so I could share with them something they’d probably never have the opportunity to experience otherwise. I miss New Glarus beer, I miss Wisconsin. This beer fills me with that.

4.41/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark brown semi cloudy body with amber/red color towards the edges. Thin khaki head with tight bubbles. Aroma is light, earthy, oakey, and fruity. Taste is plesantly sour plum, hints of cherry tartness, oak, cedar, hint of caramel, and a funky lemon rind character that elegantly tapers off with the caramel, cedar, and toasted malt finish. Medium smooth mouthfeel and almost silky as the light prickly carbonation accentuates the wild yeast funk character. Very pleasantly and certainly their more sour offering that I’ve tried thus far.

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

L - a deep red with a slight orange hue. Pours a solid finger width of off white head. Head fades a bit but remains at about half a finger width. Clings perfectly to the glass.

S - Smell is a very soft funk. Berries.

T - A certain sweetness up front with a little bit of sour. The sour lingers foreverrrr. It puckers you up and can feel it in the back of your jaw. Makes your mouth water thinking about it.

F - damn this is smooth. For the amount of head that forms I was expecting the tickle of bubbles but definitely drinks unbelievably smooth for the style.

O - Damn this is good. I would have drink this by the case if I could. Forget trading for whales...NG hit the nail on the head with this and you should try it if you can!

4.49/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - The poured brown with some dark red hints.

Smell - The revealed oak and definite tart notes.

Taste - At the front, I detect slight spruce notes. The cherry set in with notes of cherry skin, oak, and a hint of lime. The sourness is not overpowering of acidic. Oak notes shined in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation came in little bubbles and allowed the sourness to linger.

Overall - Wild Sour Ale is a treat.

4.32/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz Bottle, 4-Pack
$9.49
New Glarus Beer Depot

This most recent Thumbprint pours a mahogany body with ruby highlights when backlit and good clarity. The fizzy, crackling head grew quickly to two fingers in height before just as quickly falling to a ring around the glass. A burst of carbonation rises periodically to the surface.

Damp oak, the woods, and a surprising amount of vanilla all contribute to a sour cherry fruitiness that has me salivating. The oak sharpens with a quick swirl but after settling the vanilla and cherries combine to form a medicinal quality at times and an acidic quality at others. Wild Sour Ale seems to never sit still. Evolving, Constantly evolving.

Sharp acidity hits the front of the tongue and works all the way through. Tannic damp oak and sour cherries dominate over the top of a light caramel base. Secondary notes of gritty pear and the tartness is that of a green apple. A ghost like hint of cherry sweetness appears on the finish. This is one complex beer that's tough for me to fully wrap my head around.

The tannins have my lips and teeth feeling the effect. The body is on the lighter side of the spectrum but with enough weight to leave some residual flavor behind. Carbonation is pretty zippy and helps push the whole through fairly quickly.

This is a really complex beer. The harder I think as I drink the harder it is for me to pick out exactly what's going on. It's like it's ever changing. With that said, you can count me as another big fan of Wild Sour Ale. Dan Carey did yet another great job up there in Little Switzerland.

4.27/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2018 Wild Sour Ale
Poured into my elegant Yazoo Brewing tulip glass (generously sent to me by @Buck89 )
A dark amber hue pushes a sandy colored foamy cap just shy of 2 fingers in height. Clear, but dark enough to taunt the sunlight weakly piercing through. No lacing.
The smell is wow... There's a lot going on here. Sniff after sniff, combing my past culinary and zymurgical experiences, and challenging my vocabulary. Let's try some words. I wanna use the best words. The greatest words. Ugh, that sounds like a voice on the news. Ok, here we go.
Smells of plum, cherry, muddled raspberry, wet burnished leather, some wet oak barrel notes, all tied together with a soft sourness.
Taste has a sour plum, tart raspberry, oaky flanders tart to sour aspect to it. I'm getting a salted plum nuance that shadows these other more dominant flavors. Wow, it takes one for a ride all over.
Mouthfeel is medium, carbonation drops off to almost zero. Slightly slick.
Overall, I have no recommendations. I wouldn't be so presumptuous. It's an amazing sour that I assume is a sour brown.

Thanks, Chris!

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2018 version from a bottle thanks to Joe. Joe, thanks Joe. Joe.

A copper, no Rusty orange colored beverage here. Brown and red highlights too. Opaque and reminds me of Munich malt syrup actually. A two finger off white foam lazily descends leaving good spotted lacing behind.

Though it makes no mention of it, I am immediately accepting this as a Flanders Red. The acidity is piercing, and the dark cherry and plum fruity elements undeniable. Each sniff triggering the glands in the back of my mouth to salivate uncontrollably.

Exquisite. The plum comes in first followed by dark cherries. A puckering sourness comes quickly behind, but a faint chocolate then clean wood barrel flavor offsets it. A lingering flavor of tart candied apples makes pauses between sips remarkably enjoyable.

The feel is just perfect for this. Luxuriously soft with a tingle of tartness and light carbonation act as the perfect vessel to deliver such poise and balance to the its sweet roots.

New Glarus Thumbprint beers continue to blow me away. This one is rediculously good yet again. No need to age. Drink this now!

Thanks again Joe! Cheers.

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

4.39/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Another big thanks to Jeff for sharing this bottle. Any day filled with New Glarus is gonna be a good day. Time to crack open their "new" sour/wild ale. It pours out looking like four month old, weathered copper with good clarity and a musky, gray-tinted head that's only good for a few brief moments before it evaporates into thin air and leaves only a tiny ring behind.

Delicate, sour cherries are laid out in front of my nose on a dry oak platter. Tartness begins to hammer away at my nose hairs with ever-present notes of mild, lactic sourness and evenly dispersed vinous notes. A finishing touch of berries, cherry skins, acidic lemon, and funky oak completes the already elegant aromatic profile of what is seeming like it'll be another New Glarus hit.

Damn. How the hell do they do this? Sour green apples, sour cherry skins, sour grapes, faint lacto notes and a hint of lemon zest. You want some oak with that? No problem. Some stable, toasted malt backbone, too? You got it. Such a delicious and well constructed flavor profile; I've fallen in love and I haven't even walked her to the car yet.

One of the best things about this brew is its ability to rub out that sour hard-on you might have, while retaining superior drinkability by delicately playing footsies with the line of "too acidic, too sour" but never fully crossing over. The abundant vinous and oak notes help as well, and they are dominant in the finish with even a faint hint of vanilla.

Warmth will conjure up some previously evaded flavors, like mild all-spice, cinnamon, and a lighter touch of toffee malt. Ever-evolving from start to finish, keeping me interested the entire way without ever straying from the righteous path. Thin-medium bodied; slick and slippery on the palate, though the finish is quite dry. Good carbonation for a sour ale.

New Glarus continues to keep me happy, and when they come out with shit like this, it just blows my mind. How can a brewery create such a beautifully drinking sour ale that satisfies my tart cravings, remains sessionable like a pale ale, and is available in four-packs for around ten dollars? Why can't breweries who distribute to my area do this?

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

4.74/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2.75/5  rDev -36.9%