Strawberry Rhubarb | New Glarus Brewing Company

Added by Ri0 on 07-20-2013

#520

Ratings: 1,439 |  Reviews: 172
1.25/5  rDev -71%

Too fruity and tasted more like champagne

2.5/5  rDev -42%

2.89/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

May 6, 2017
Thumbprint 12 oz. bottle, released 2017. Thanks to EehaiCJ for the assist.
Deep dark red with a thin layer of foam and spotty lace. Nice color.
Smells like artificial strawberry candy, strawberry kool-aid, off brand strawberry jam.
Tastes very sweet, cloying strawberry candy in liquid form. Gross.
Sticky sweet, light to medium bodied with a slick artificial strawberry aftertaste.
Nowhere near the balanced sweet/tart/natural fruit of the original batch, 2017 is a complete bizarro version. Avoid.
Gave away the rest of the 4-pack. Tried it a 2nd time, and it still tasted like artificial strawberry candy, though there was a very mild rhubarb tartness present. Not really enough to redeem it.

This reminds me of stuff clueless underage kids might try to buy at the liquor store.
Worse than Four Loko or similar fruit flavored malternatives out there. Sad!

Jul 21, 2013
4.04/5 rDev -6.5%

Split a 750ml bottle with family and it went over pretty well.
Reddish orange with a crimson highlight, lasting foam with arcs of sticky lace in the glass. Patchy skim on the surface after a few sips. Body has a bright clarity and the occasional stray rising bubble. Flecks of spotty lace in the glass.

Sweet strawberry in the nose, hints of light acid and mild funk, though fairly restrained.
Tart and creamy, big strawberry flavor with acidic tartness from the rhubarb. Light and spritzy, lingering fruitiness in the aftertaste. On par with the other fruit beers they make, about as tart as Serendipity, the strawberry taste is pretty assertive.

I usually love NG fruit beers but this one didn't do it for me.

3.06/5  rDev -29%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Bottle from an over the border trip while staying in MN for the holidays. Part of a 2 bottle gift-pack with some branded flutes.

A - Hazy reddish-orange with a thin head. light lacing on the glass as it empties.

S - Hints at a bit of tartness, but overpowering strawberry and rhubarb.

T - Nicely tart rhubarb for a split second, then your taste buds are knocked out with sweet strawberry that lingers long after the sip. I was hoping for a bit of wild yeast funk, but it is either non-existent or completely hidden by the fruit. More like a fruit smoothie than a beer. I know this is blasphemy to some, but 3/4 of the way through my glass, "wine cooler" comes to mind, albeit one with real fruit flavoring.

M - Syrupy and slick.

O - Having had this a few weeks after Serendipity, I just don't get these New Glarus "sours." The BA ratings are awesome, but to me, they are just too sweet. Lambics and sour styles are among my favorite beers, but I just can't get past the incredibly overpowering sweet strawberry taste on the finish. It isn't bad, I just am having a hard time thinking of when I would want it again. It's more like candy, a dessert, or a beer I bring out when a bunch of people are over and I want to share something interesting from the cellar that I don't really care for but think others will. I can appreciate why people like New Glarus fruit brews, but half a glass is more than enough for me.

I am glad I got to try this, but give me the nice, tart bite and general funkiness of a good Belgian fruit lambic over this any day. Maybe some age would help lessen the strawberry taste and let some of the tart shine through more.

3.15/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured into a New Glarus Pint glass

A) Ruby red, clear, no color on sides of class, two finger head that stays

S) Fruit juice

T) tasted upfront like a strawberry fruit roll up and tartness at the back of the mouth

M) Left the mouth dry, but very smooth beer.

O) Well, i am not trying to knock this beer. Not Dan's best fruit beer or "sour" I don't know if any Brett was used tasted like it. Overall, try it I enjoy Serendipity more than this one.

3.25/5  rDev -24.6%

The basic gist I got from this one was "strawberry fruit roll-up". Very sweet, with a heavy body, although it does have a surprisingly dry finish. Fruit rollups were a treasured luxury of my childhood, so the ultrasweet experience is not without its merits. I'm not sure what rhubarb tastes like, aside from my mother subjecting me to unpleasant prickly sensations from her garden as an infant, and warning me not to eat the leaves. I left rhubarb alone after that. All I know is a 12oz pour of this is a study in strawberry, and by the end I was schooled. My wife drank about 3oz, declared she was "over it", and poured her share into my glass.
I'd like this a lot more if I could glean something other than strawberry from uncapping to finish. It's just a strawberry sugar bomb that's not unpleasant, just not suited for 750ml quantities.

Strawberry Rhubarb from New Glarus Brewing Company