Strawberry Rhubarb | New Glarus Brewing Company

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Ri0 on 07-20-2013

Ratings: 1,403 |  Reviews: 160

3.06/5  rDev -29%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Bottle from an over the border trip while staying in MN for the holidays. Part of a 2 bottle gift-pack with some branded flutes.

A - Hazy reddish-orange with a thin head. light lacing on the glass as it empties.

S - Hints at a bit of tartness, but overpowering strawberry and rhubarb.

T - Nicely tart rhubarb for a split second, then your taste buds are knocked out with sweet strawberry that lingers long after the sip. I was hoping for a bit of wild yeast funk, but it is either non-existent or completely hidden by the fruit. More like a fruit smoothie than a beer. I know this is blasphemy to some, but 3/4 of the way through my glass, "wine cooler" comes to mind, albeit one with real fruit flavoring.

M - Syrupy and slick.

O - Having had this a few weeks after Serendipity, I just don't get these New Glarus "sours." The BA ratings are awesome, but to me, they are just too sweet. Lambics and sour styles are among my favorite beers, but I just can't get past the incredibly overpowering sweet strawberry taste on the finish. It isn't bad, I just am having a hard time thinking of when I would want it again. It's more like candy, a dessert, or a beer I bring out when a bunch of people are over and I want to share something interesting from the cellar that I don't really care for but think others will. I can appreciate why people like New Glarus fruit brews, but half a glass is more than enough for me.

I am glad I got to try this, but give me the nice, tart bite and general funkiness of a good Belgian fruit lambic over this any day. Maybe some age would help lessen the strawberry taste and let some of the tart shine through more.

3.75/5  rDev -13%

3.25/5  rDev -24.6%

3.34/5  rDev -22.5%

A “bottled on” date could be located. Poured into a tulip.

Too sweet! Cloyingly sweet without the necessary tartness to balance. Could not finish even half the bottle. I took a flier on this bottle because it was New Glarus. I was on travel and it was “buy it” or miss my chance. I had heard that New Glarus does fruit beers well. In my opinion this is not one of their better beers. Very disappointed. 3

A – Pours a cloudy reddish amber with a small rocky head that dissipates quickly. A swirl brings back a nice but short lived head. 3.75

S – Strawberry, tartness, sour/acidic, rhubarb is evident as well. 4

T – Fruity sweet, slight tartness, strawberry. 3

MF – Delicate, light bodied, sweet, a bit acidic. 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

3.75/5  rDev -13%

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottle shared with Dad for the holidays. Pours a slightly murky brown with some red hues and a brownish off white head. Smell is big time fresh strawberries and some tart rhubarb. Flavor follows with up front sweet strawberry followed by a tinge of malts and a tad of sour rhubarb to finish. Light mouthfeel with high carbonation makes this super easy to put down the gullet. I was worries I wouldn't like this as other strawberry drinks have not been up my alley. But as usual New Glarus hit it on the nose with another fruit beer. Very nicely done. This was a hit all around.

3.31/5  rDev -23.2%

Wine glass.

A: Pours an opaque apple cider color with a modest cola like tan head which fizzles out promptly. Decent enough retention.

S: Strong strawberry and rhubarb flavors waft several inches out from the glass. Really fresh, natural smelling strawberry like frozen fruit pops with some other red fruit like cherry.

T: Similar, almost like drinking a puréed strawberry smoothie. Lots of residual sweetness, a little bark, and only a pinch of tartness which doesn't offset the sugar.

M: Thick like a purée with medium-light carbonation that is engulfed by the body.

O: Just not my cup of tea. The Serendipity is my fave of the series, this is by far the sweetest and least drinkable. Almost a caricature of a beer

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

The success of New Glarus' fruit beers is well documented. As it's reputation precedes it, the strawberry-rhubarb marriage is an ideal fit. Just read the label: "New Glarus", "Strawberry", Rhubarb". The review is not even needed- (drops the mic)

But here I go anyway... Its pour is a turbulent champagne bubbly crescendo where its racy effervescence topples the glass. Its body beneath is a mostly-gold, but slight pinkened hue with a mild pectin haze. Easily mistaken for sparkling rose wine, the ale looks like its meant for New Year's Eve.

Bright, sweet and tart aromas kinda jump right up there and smack ya in the face with that vibrant aroma that's unmistakably of strawberry. Where its easy to read other fruit like tart green apple, green grape, cranberry or pomegranate could be present; instead its the tangy and earthy rhubarb that gives its scent something extra that's hard to put the finger upon. Still, a wine like and sulfur scent rounds out the fruit with common ale sensibilities.

Its taste is a direct follow-through of aromas. Its dainty sweetness is lightly bready as light wheat contributions keep things somewhat fresh and doughy. But its candied taste that takes on "Pez-like" proportions of powdered sugar and tangy fruit set in. But once its sweetness folds in the strawberries and rhubarb character- its culmination is masterfully tart, zesty, earthy and fresh. Tangy throughout, the malt breadiness reminds the taste buds of fresh rhubarb pie. Its finish is as much of champagne as it is ale with a dry malt taste and elevated acidity.

Likewise, its body is modestly bready and creamy as it prefers the dry effervescence of sparkling white wine. Even as the fruit and sweet-tart tones play out in taste, the body remains light and slightly creamy. Finishing tart, dry and refreshed- the palate is further rewarded by echoes of strawberry and light graham crackers.

Where the Rapberry Tart, Belgian Red and Apple Ale are obvious leaders in their class, they strike me as being overly fruit (if ever so slightly). But this Strawberry Rhubarb may be the best fruit beer to have ever grazed my palate.

Strawberry Rhubarb from New Glarus Brewing Company