Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

R&D Sour Fruit (Very Sour Blackberry) | New Glarus Brewing Company

R&D Sour Fruit (Very Sour Blackberry)R&D Sour Fruit (Very Sour Blackberry)
4.76/5
World-Class
R&D Sour Fruit (Very Sour Blackberry)R&D Sour Fruit (Very Sour Blackberry)

New Glarus Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
newglarusbrewing.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Fourth in our series of spontaneous sour ales. Fermented and aged in oak barrels - on yeast lees - with Oregon blackberries. Refermented in this bottle. Open with care - This is a funky wild sour beer!

Added by thebigredone on 08-19-2013

4.5/5  rDev -5.5%

4.81/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

500ml bottle into snifter. Thanks for sharing Kevin!

A: Pours a deep purple with a thin cap of fine bubbles. Very effervescent. Lasting collar.
S: I can smell this beer from across the table. There's a surprising amount of jammy blackberry fruit for being so old. I get a notes of sweet grape jelly in the mix as well. Amazing.
T: Super tart, puckering, and drying flavors of very jammy and sweet blackberry/boysenberry. The tartness is super tannic and drying. Jammy and juicy fruit all the way. Subtle oxidization. Fresh blackberry fruit mixed with grape jelly.
M: Very very dry, like a desert. Gritty tannic feel but the flavor is still very juicy. Acidic, but not overly acidic, more just super dry and tart with a crisp tartness. Soft but very frothy carbonation, better once a bit is burned off.
O: Gritty and tannic mouth but extremely juicy and fruity. Super surprised how well this held up for being so old. I've had fresh sours that aren't as fruity as this. Thanks again Kevin.

4.99/5  rDev +4.8%

4.72/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.25/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.89/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.73/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've been waiting for a very special time to crack this one open. It has been my most cherished beer in my cellar for a few years now. After a while, I decided last night that I can't let this one just sit around and collect dust any longer!!!

A: A very rich, dark purple with a light pink head.

S: I not only smelt the two glasses I poured, I also spent a good 5 minutes with my nose practically inside the top of the bottle. That is how amazing this smells. Pure unripened, tart blackberry juice is the best way I can describe this. You can almost assume what this will taste like just by smell alone. I am happy that nothing was lost in terms of aroma from this being a few years old.

T: A present, but not overly tartness comes through but the most important flavor here is the blackberry. I said to my friend that this is like eating a blackberry when its still firm and tart, before it becomes mushy and sweet. Fresh blackberry jam would also be a great comparison. The flavor is perfect in every way and I am so happy this lived up to the hype and did not diminish in any way over time. I love this beer!

M: A full, but not too thick mouthfeel. Perfect.

O: Well, having had some amazing sour offerings from Russian River, Lost Abbey, Cantillon, Hill Farmstead, Side Project, Jester King and many more, I can safely say that this is the best sour I've ever had and my new favorite. I didn't think anything could outclass Framboise du Fermier, but this beer is so well balanced and has too much flavor to have any competition. THIS IS THE PINNACLE OF SOUR BEER.

The absolute perfect beer. Amazing color and carbination. Smells extremely fruity and tart. The taste is a next level combination of tartness and fruit. Perfection in every way.

4.9/5  rDev +2.9%

Easily the best American sour I've ever had. Just truly perfect in every way. My only reason for the 4.75 is that it was slightly too sour and acidic and that's really nitpicking. Essentially a perfect beer

4.45/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.7/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.98/5  rDev +4.6%

4.89/5  rDev +2.7%

4.96/5  rDev +4.2%

4.58/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.48/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.6/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Hnnnnnnnng