Plank Bavarian Heller Weizenbock | Brauerei Michael Plank

Added by orbitalr0x on 04-12-2007

3.7

4.04/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Brought to me from a good friend from Colorado when I told him to bring me one thing that would surprise and delight me.

Success.

I don't see a lot of Weizen-Bocks and I am sure that I have had somewhere within the 4-10 range of them. So this was a pleasant surprise. Also good for the spring weather.

Pours a misty deep gold/off amber color, just what I would want from this style and expect. Smells delicately of banana, wheat, kind of that rain on straw smell. Crisp and clean smell. But, very very delicate. Almost has a vegetation sort of thing going not hat is a bit odd.

Taste comes in with a really good straw and wheat taste. Has a slight sweet earthiness that falls into dry banana, a slight cream essence, almost vanilla like and then there is a malt that gives off a hint of caramel... just a hint that is buried. May be due to the earthiness. But then there comes a pretty fair bitterness from hops on the tale end. Which is surprising for a German beer. This is a bit more hoppy than I am used to in German beers. Not that it is over the top. But the lemony hops cut the ends and lend a nice crisp and slightly dry finish.

Great mouthfeel. Just came in from a bike ride on a cold spring night and this hits the spot. A bit sticky, medium to light body, has the mild dry/crispness. Just really nice. Matches the style and what I would expect. Though could be a bit more dry... but that could just my palate.

Overall, I think this is a really good Weizen-Bock. The smell doesn't hold a lot and doesn't profess what is in the beer. But, when you get into it, it does really well. I would put this alongside Ayinger... I would have to say I may even choose this over Ayinger. What I like the most is that the bock-iness is subtle, it is noticeably there but not punching the wheats lights out. Plus, my bottle reads 7.8% ABV... and it is just not there. Smooth and hidden below the layers of goodness. I would definitely be glad to have this beer again.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer has a light gold color and a nice solid white head that lingers. The beer smells like banana a little spicy note maybe clove and pungent alcohol. The taste has a rich malty flavor with hints of spice and citrus with a warm flavorful finish.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

3.91/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

an interesting german selection here, kind of a merger of two familiar styles, takes on a life of its own. the pour is cloudy and pineapple juice color and texture, with a good solid white head on it with fine retention. the nose is that classic banana yeast, a touch of clove spice, and a lot of booze. the taste starts off as a very malty hefe, the yeast is the only thing keeping this light, as the malt gives it a robust flavor and a rather dense body. some light citrus fruit in the taste, as well as a more complex spice mixture than just clove. it reminds me of sam summer, with that grains of paradise peppercorn sort of complexion, very different with that banana happening. id call it a tropical profile, but its too big and hefty for that, its a cold weather beer for me. the body is full as it can be in a beer this color, and the carbonation is pretty active. overall I like the flavor of this, but the feel and the alcohol content make it sort of a contradiction I cant get past in some ways. it wasn't to be easy drinking, but it isn't, and it wants to be a slow sipper, but it isn't that either, as it gets a little gross as it warms. a neat beer, but not one ill be rushing to purchase again.

3.11/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Orange amber with only slight cloudiness. Only a small head of about 1/4” that quickly receded to a cap. Nice lacing.

Smell: Caramel malt with a bit of alcohol on the nose.

Taste: Caramel, very malt forward, big bready malt, funny for a Weizenbock this beer taste more like a lager almost like a strong Oktoberfest. Very little clove or banana or any traditional hefeweizen flavors, again, this beer is all about the malt.

Mouth feel: Relatively smooth on the palate with a bit of alcoholic warmth at the finish.

Overall: Interesting version of a Weizenbock, unlike any other wheat beer I’ve had. As mentioned again this was far more like a lager in flavor than a Weizenbock.

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Nice deep amber color with a 1+ finger off white head. Smell is of bread, apricot, cloves and honey. Not overpowreing, but decent. Taste follows the nose closely with some added banana. Very strong fruit front which was a bit distracting. A bit heavy on the apricot/fruit. Minimal hops bite at the end. Feel was good with adequate carbonation. A bit dry to the finish. Overall- An okay beer that had a different twist with the apricot taste. A bit too strong on the fruit which left me with a tart, over the top taste with no hop balance. It was just okay IMO. Probably won't pick up another-

3.62/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a honey yellow with big off-white head in Eisbock glass.

Smell is of bready malts and a little clove and banana.

Taste is bready with some clove and lots of honey flavor. Minimal bitterness.

Mouthfeel is heavily carbonated. Light-medium body.

Overall this was o.k.

3.16/5  rDev -19.4%

Bottle purchased from Binny's in Schaumburg, IL.
No obvious dating on bottle, but "93393" is stamped on the label
Poured into a

Summary: The Plank Heller (Blonde) Weizenbock is a lighter-colored and sweeter offering than the brewery's dark weizenbock. While it looks attractive in the glass and has a desirable mouthfeel, I found the beer to be somewhat lacking in both aroma and taste. The higher, stronger malt concentrations don't seem to translate well into larger scent and taste profiles, which is somewhat disappointing as I've learned to expect quite a bit from the Plank brewery. It's possible my bottle was old, but with an obscure number stamp being the only possible reference, I have no way of knowing. I may give this another try at some point in the future, but for now I'd consider this beer a miss.

Pours a 3cm head of small, dense, off-white bubbles. Head fades quickly to a thin cap atop the body, leaving some modest lacing as it does so. Body is a copper-brown color when out of light, when near the lamp it changes to a light copper orange with yellow highlights. Opaque due to swirled-in yeast, but I can make out active carbonation along the sides of the glass.

Prominent aroma of wheat malt, fairly intense sweetness, and some nutmeg-clove combination with musty, yeasty bananas. I thought that for a weizenbock, the aromas would be a bit stronger and more pronounced. This isn't bad, but not particularly up to what I'd hope from a bigger, more concentrated and intense wheat beer. I've had wheat beers with a more forceful aroma.

Taste opens with yeast and sweet malt (wheat, some barley) flavors. Middle of the palate picks up increasing amounts of sweetness, remains of yeast, with the addition of very modest bananas and spices. Finishes with a continued malt profile and a brief flash of alcohol. Aftertaste primarily of residual yeastiness, some malt sweetness, and faint bananas. Somewhat of a let down, I was expecting more intensity and definition from a weizenbock.

Beer's body is medium in heft with a mid-to-high amount of carbonation. The beer's weight is substantial enough to cover this, the result being a lightly tingly, but mostly pillowy and smooth mouthfeel. Finish is dry, and a little sticky with sweetness.

3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

There's a high chance that this beer is expired.. because of where I bought it from. But There is no date on the bottle.

Appearance - Pours a dark, golden-amber color. Almost brown. Had to stop and let it sit for a minute before pouring the rest because the head was 2 inches thick, almost foaming over. Dissipates quickly though.. Has nice, thick lacing.

Smell - First thing I smell is a strong alcohol aroma. Along with caramel, brown sugar, and dark fruits. Smells like a dark beer..

Taste - Has a toasty flavor to it, along with toffee, caramel, clove, apples, and a strong alcohol bite. Slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel - Has a heavy body with strong carbonation.

Overall - Dark beers aren't my style.. I was mistaken when I bought this because I thought it was going to be similar to a wheat or bock beer. But I won't knock it because I know it's good for what it's supposed to be..

3.03/5  rDev -22.7%

A: Pours a hazy gold with a creamy white head.

S: Aromas of cream, vanilla, and buttered wheat toast are all I can pick up. I don't detect the expected scents of banana, bubblegum, and clove.

T: A malty, grainy entry leads to notes of heavy cream, vanilla, caramel, wheat toast, clove, and alcohol. The finish is long and potent with a combination of wheat toast, vanilla, and alcohol flavors.

M: Full bodied, dry, and spritzy. The alcohol is very up-front in this beer, and is quick to establish a dominant presence. I was hoping for something with a little more balance.

O: Weizenbocks are hit or miss for me, and this one is a definite miss. I really enjoy Braurei Michael Plank's Dunkler Weizenbock, and as this is the brewery's most awarded beer, perhaps I simply expected too much. In my opinion, this beer is hot and boozy with an overly simplistic flavor profile. I probably will not be picking this one up again.

3.86/5  rDev -1.5%

When Wheat Beers and lighter Bock Beers meet, we're given a unique blend of malt depth, fruity esters, and elevated alcoholic strength.

Upon the decant, the beer delivers a beautiful golden-amber color and a magnificent bright appearance. Creamy head character of stark white foam laces with a lot of decorative patterns on the glasss. Impressive appearance overall.

Malty aromas of bread crust, elegant pilsner malt, light toffee, and a rich bready flavor of fresh baked breads along with caramelized grains carry a vibrant and fresh aroma. A contribution of herbal tea-like hops give a light floral note to the rich malt scents.

Delicious and with a lot of finess when considering the malt profile. Though strong in alcoholic taste, the firm maltiness delivers a mild toffee taste along with a lot of melanoidin flavors of bread crust, savory caramelization, and succulent fresh bread flavors. With just enough herbal and floral hop flavor to decorate the peripheries of malt flavor and with the slightest offset from sweetness, the beer shies away from sweetness in favor of true malt flavor in finish. Sweetness is lightly amplified by the fruity/floral flavors of orange blossem, apple pie, and marmelade.

Creamy and a bit oily from the focus of malt richness and wheat, the beer carries a consistent texture from early creaminess through late fullness until the strength of alchol breaks apart the beer and allows for an alcoholic semi-dry finish. A hint of oily feel comes out of the toffee-buttery note and may offer the slightest of distractions.

The rich and savory melanoidin notes of the beer definately set it appart from other beers of it's type that don't take as much care. But the oily malt character offers just a slight flaw in taste and texture.

Plank Bavarian Heller Weizenbock from Brauerei Michael Plank