Portsmouth Kate The Great

From:
Portsmouth Brewery

New Hampshire, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Portsmouth Kate The GreatPortsmouth Kate The Great
Notes:
Reviews: 496 | Ratings: 933 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.92/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2011 bottle, drank on 7/28/18

Sent to me by an incredible trading partner and friend to celebrate the birth of my son. Drank with my father who got me into this “hobbie” when gave me two KtG in ‘11 right after they were released. Thanks Marcos!

Still a beautiful poor with a creamy tan head that lingers for a few minutes before dissipating. The smell is a big drop off from when it was fresh unfortunately. Picking up some red wine and bakers chocolate, but fairly muted. Some red wine, espresso, dark chocolate, light soy sauce in the taste. It’s thinned out but it was never a thick stout from what I recall. Very dry on the back end. Overall, very happy to be able to revisit this one after so many years and life experiences. It held up better than I had hoped, and easily was a 5/5 when originally released.

2.06/5  rDev -55.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

This is for 2010-2012 Vintages. All drain pours. The best was probably the latest but still a thin syrupy mess at this point. Would have been fun if they held up.

4.09/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Pour is simply black, with an off-white head that’s a few centimeters high. Strong retention with conceited lacing

S: Elements of soy sauce, dark fruits, leather, and smoked tobacco with soft vinous tones. There’s an earthy and spicy circumference with further notes of brown sugar, chocolate brownies, coffee, roasted malts and barley

T: Soy sauce prevalent, but not compromising with intricacies surfacing: raisins, plums, berries, sherry/port, bitter yet fudgy chocolate with caramel malt, vanilla, oak, leathered espresso

M: Medium feel, average carbonation – creamy, chewy, smooth complexity

O: A contrast of soy sauce, yet the age isn’t fully jeopardized given the roasted malts and notes of chocolate covered brownies, vanilla turbo shot(s), caramel, leather, tobacco, some plums and cherries

4.83/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2011 bomber.

I shared this with friends, as they had purchased this for me years ago when I graduated from college. This honestly was amazing. I'll admit I hyped it up to a certain point, but it exceeded my expectations.

I had this beer in 2012 when it was fresh, and it disappointed me. I thought it was just your average Russian Imperial Stout and was lacking the aroma and flavor that I was hoping for after hearing about all the hype. Luckily I got mine through trade, cause if I went through a lot to get that bottle, I would've been pissed.

When this is aged for six years though, it's remarkable. It's probably the smoothest Russian Imperial Stout I've ever had, and the flavor made me want a lot more than a 1/3 of a bottle. Tons of chocolate, which I didn't expect after being aged this long.

Sadly, this is retired. If you can get a bottle, I highly suggest it.

4.39/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

'11 bottle opened on 5/20/17. Great beer with unbelievable mouthfeel. Be sure to let this warm up, slightly oxidized. If you have this, you should open it now! Definitely not going to get better...

3.63/5  rDev -21.1%

Comes in super pitch black with a mixture of that beige and cherry cola colored head on top. Aroma was lots of earthy, soy, tobacco like notes.

Plenty of dark fruit notes, more raisin and soy, kind of sweet. Does have a mouthfeel that absorbs the alcohol quite nicely.

I really never understood why this one was so loved. Its pretty basic stuff, just had a low bottle count, special release kind of thing furthering the hype of a decent beer along Dark Lord lines.

4.54/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Trying a 2011 and 2012. The 11 was better due to a much larger presence. Both vintages are Amazing visually. Strong sweet smell. Molasses chocolate malt creamy taste. Damn glad I got to try this.

3.52/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This April 2015 review relates to a 2012 bottle. Really thin stout with quad-like flavors. Not much on the nose. Really past its prime. Wet cardboard flavors and papery mouthfeel.

4.69/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this 2/26/15 it was a 2012 vintage at the Portsmouth brewery. It was fantastic, very do bust flavors of molasses vanilla and some barrel. I just recently opened a 2010 dark lord and this was better by a fair amount. Some sweetness but not overly so. A delicious stout. I can't wait for Tod Motts new Kate the great from Tributary brewing!

3.66/5  rDev -20.4%

A wonderful experience. When the beer is released it is like a whole different atmosphere; it makes people happy. I agree with the taste analyses by many of you, however, after drinking a fair amount of the stuff (or being lucky enough to) I must say that it has lost it's charm. It's not as otherworldly as some would have you believe. It hits its high notes, but its not the perfect beer, as rated here.

4.48/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer on tap in 2009. It was awesome, 99 out of 100.
Had a bottle of the 2009 about a yr ago and it was kinda flat. It had a little CO, but not much. Still tasted great. World Class for sure.

3.6/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2012 vintage. Served in a crystal snifter.

Deep dark brown, nearly black, very opaque. A low soapy head rises up minimally and settles out flat. Low aroma of ripe dark fruits, lots of fig and plum. Rich and intense flavor of sharp espresso, smoke and leather, a bit ashey and acrid. Some cocoa notes lie beneath and emerge occasionally, but get pushed back down by the sharper flavors. Very flavorful, with lots of nuances. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and slick, but there is a tingly flourish in the finish. Excited to finally have a chance to try this much celebrated beer. I expected a little more from it, but it is a very good beer.

4.53/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

11.2oz bottle poured into a snifter. 2012 vintage.

A: Beautiful black pour, it sheens like an opal. Coffee colored head settles after a moment, but this is no surprise given the strength. Spotty lacing.

S: Chocolate chews, fudge sauce, chocolate cake. Waft of leather and smoke. Various stone fruits (mostly plum and currant) and red berry scents. Port wine. Perhaps the faintest pull of oak.

T: Fudge sauce, chocolate chews, German chocolate cake, cocoa, brownie batter. These flavors are pervasive and provide a solid anchor. Hints of smoke and espresso. Sherry. Plum and a burst of vinous red berries. Brush of alcohol. Spicy herbal/tobacco hops were not perceptible until the beer warmed to near room temperature. Sherry and lingering fudgey flavors on the finish.

M: Slick in texture, but not weighty or sludgey. It glides effortlessly over the tongue. Little to no carbonation. Mild astringency seems vinous in nature. Slight tingle of alcohol is all that alludes to its potency. Delightfully silky and smooth.

O: A marvelous interplay of vinous fruity flavors and fudgey malt tastes. Perfect in body and texture. Complex, refined, and an absolute pleasure to sip. Wine-lovers will appreciate it, as the vinous nature of it pulls through significantly. If Todd Mott brews anything like this when Tributary gets off the ground, the world will be a much better place for it.

3.43/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle of 2012 KTG opened 2-17-14. This is a good stout, no doubt, but nothing spectacular. Rather quite average. Thanks to mtbdonn for sharing this beer...it was definitely on my list of "must try" beers and I'm glad to say that I got the chance to try it. It was good, but nothing remarkable. I guess a lot of the hype is because of the limited-ness of the beer and potential for it to not be made anymore, but overall an average good stout. I would not go out of my way at all to get this beer.

4.7/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

330mL bottle into a snifter
2012 Vintage

450th Beer Advocate Review
My 94th out of the top 100 (based on the top 100 list at the time I started my quest to try all 100 of the beers)

A huge thanks to kdmcguire10 for sending this one my way.

A: Pours an opaque black with some browning on the edges when held to light. A thick sliver of tan colored heads builds and then fades fairly quickly. Leaves only a few small patches of lacing.

S: Quite sweet. Vinous, dark fruit notes, big licorice, chocolate cake batter, roasty, cinnamon, a subtle hint of booze. Just layers of complexity. Wonderful.

T: Chocolate, roasted malt and oak upfront. This is followed by a vinous component, which then fades back to an oaky vanilla thats reminiscent of some of the qualities barrel aging lends to a beer. I also get some herbaceous qualities, bitter coffee and cream. Again, its amazingly complex. So many wonderful layers to this one, and the flavors are bold, strong, and linger forever.

M/D: Full bodied, chewy, fairly smooth but carbonation on the heavier side for the style, which detracts from the smoothness slightly. Effectively no hint of the 12% ABV, and drinkability is so good that I have to make a conscious effort to slow down on drinking this one so that I can savor it.

O: Overall, this is an incredible beer, absolutely no doubt about it. Lives up to the hype, and well worth the wait for me. Arguably the best non-BA, non-additive infused Imperial Stout Ive ever had. The depth and layers of the aroma and flavor profiles are impressive. World Class.

4.34/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mid. 2013 review:

2009 Vintage. 65 cl. Bottle sampled. Pours black with a small beige head. Thick vinous molasses nose, thick sugar, malts, prunes, liquorish, wine vines, thick sweetness chocolate,… Taste is quite vinous, sour candy, dark red grapes, vinous, liquorish, wine vines, chocolate, molasses, malty, sweet spices, light bitterness in the back, very thick cake, lightly sour in the finish, bitter grapes,…. Almost touch light body for a stout,… Very unusual for a RIS esp. with the sour, red grapes, etc. notice, very unexpected. Still confused if this is supposed to be like this but it seems like this is the case. Unusual to say the least.

4.49/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2012 Vintage

A-Pours quite black. Thin head. Doesn't appear to be completely black. Has a browner tint to it. I only enjoyed a small sample so it is difficult to properly assess the appearance.

S-Wow, what a unique aroma. It smells a bit like port. I get a lot of dark fruitiness. The standard chocolate and roast is a secondary aspect here. Very neat, almost like a Quad without the Belgian yeastiness.

T-The flavor is, like the aroma, unique and very interesting. I really wish I had a full glass as opposed to a small sample. Kate explodes with dark fruits: fig, prune, raisin. Dark chocolate and port wine. The year of aged has forced the favors to cooperate considerably well. Definitely an individual flavor.

M-Big, velvety and slick. Soft carbonation. Booze is a complete no-show. Excellent feel here.

O/D-Was never expecting to try this and I am super happy I got the chance. Haven't had a Stout quite like Kate. Definitely worthy of the hype. Too bad she's retired.

4.61/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

22oz Bomber

Getting the chance to sample Kate the Great on Easter courtesy of brewandbbq, Thanks Jeff! Kate gurgles midnight black from the bottle into my snifter. This beer actually sucks up the light in the room. Not much of a head up front but halfway through the pour a fingers worth of creamy dense mocha colored head showed up and never left. Tiny carbonation bubbles rush along the glass keeping the head in place throughout. Great looking drink lines are left behind after each sip.

As this warms the aroma becomes more and more complex. Waves of anise crest throughout and then drop from sight before cresting again. Deep roasted malts, bakers chocolate, and cocoa all meld together to create an intense, inviting nose. On top of all this throw in a handful of dark ripe berries and you have yourself a mouthwatering complex RIS.

Everything I picked up in the aroma comes through in the flavor. The chocolate, roastiness, and cocoa meld together perfectly to create an intense yet seamless RIS. The chocolate comes through big mid-palate through the finish with the roastiness adding a bite on the swallow. This really is a top notch RIS with an incredible complexity of flavors!

The mouthfeel was good up front but as this beer nears room temperature the true nature of the beast comes out. The body is fantastically smooth and velvety. Kate massages the tongue on its slow tour of every tastebud in the area.

The drinkability is as high as I could expect from any big complex RIS making this one a true danger if you're not careful. My glass is disappearing far to fast as I try and figure out all the layers to this brew.

I'm always a little skeptical, and I hate to admit it but I am more critical, of a beer with this amount of buzz behind it. This is a fantastic beer no matter which way you look at it and if you read the rest of my review complex is the word! Keep Kate the Great comin'!

4.37/5  rDev -5%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

330 mL bottle poured into a wine glass. 2012 bottle.

Appearance - Small khaki head atop an almost black body. Doesn't last. Eventually there's nothing atop the beer.

Smell - Dark chocolate. Dark fruits, fruity and sweet like a port. Some booze.

Taste - Dark chocolate. Very rich. Dark fruits right behind, again reminiscent of a sweet port. Oak in the finish. Boozy.

Mouthfeel - Low carbonation and pretty boozy. Medium body.

Overall - A touch thin and boozy. Otherwise one of the best nonbarreled stouts I've had.

4.57/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Quick notes. 2011 vintage, 22 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Huge thanks to Doug for sharing a pour with me! A really big want of mine which I've heard far too many grumblings of it being "overrated".

Pours a dark black body with a quickly fading mocha head. The aroma and taste on this beer is really unique as the port does leave quite an impression. Lots of chocolate, roasted malt, molasses and an almost dark fruit/black grape acridity. Rich and creamy mouth feel. Its rich and decadent and the dark fruit element that the port brings to the table really works. This exceeds all hype for me as I found it to be one of the best non barrel aged stouts I have had. I really hope this recipe carries on with Mott's new brewery as I would love to try it fresh.

4.98/5  rDev +8.3%

This 2011 vintage was generously shared by Rutager.

A: Black liquid with 1/2" light brown head.

S: Chocolate, salt, caramel and grass.

T: Cherries, figs, raisins, pears, roasted barley, chocolate and caramel.

M: Medium viscosity and a medium to low level of carbonation.

O: This stout is pretty much perfect. The Belgian yeast strain and special B malt are an amazing addition to the style.

4.63/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2011 bottle thanks to Yeahnatenelson. Served at cellar temperature.

Appearance. Pours black with 1/2 a finger of khaki head.

Smell. Prunes, raisins, chocolate, rum, cherries and caramel. Despite that description it's very unique smelling and keeps me coming back for more.

Taste. Tobacco, prunes, raisins, chocolate, plums and molasses.

Mouthfeel. On the lower side of full body with medium-low soft and smooth carbonation, unbelievably smooth.

Overall. Smooth and delicious.

4.99/5  rDev +8.5%

If you want to know what the mouthfeel is like, or what color this beer is, take a peek at the other 700 reviews. I am writing here today to boldly state that this might be the best beer I've ever had. I luckily was able to get my hands on two bottles of this recently from the last batch made at Portsmouth Brewery in 2012. Because I am a nice guy and sharing is caring, I poured the little bottle into 5 glasses so that 4 other people could induldge in a beer in which, unless you work there, you need to win a lottery just to be able to purchase. This is as smooth as a nitro stout, perfectly balanced with chocolate notes and bitterness, smells delectable, and hides the 12% ABV very nicely. If anyone who has not tried this beer, enjoys Russian Imperial Stouts, and has the opportunity to trade for a bottle or purchase one from someone, I highly recommend doing so. I have one more bottle and I don't know when I will open it as I don't want it to go away. Hopefully the brewer will make this again one day!

4.26/5  rDev -7.4%

2012 vintage reviewed from notes. Pours like a typical RIS, thick black and opaque with little to no head. The owe starts with deep roasts malts followed by a touch of oak, a bit of smoke and char, heavy waves of dark fruit and molasses, and some ashy notes. The taste is smooth and well rounded with chocolate and molasses coming through the strongest. The body is heavy and the carbonation is mild which makes for a smooth mouthfeel. Overall, this brew is very tasty and well executed. I don't really get much port character in this, and perhaps I was expecting liquid gold with all the hype surrounding this... I didn't get that, but it is still a damn good beer!

4.52/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Duck-Rabbit snifter

Shared by PDXHops; thanks Jeff!

2011 vintage

The color as it pours is a clear-ish medium brown. Thin layer of a lighter brown foam which departs to the inside perimeter of the glass. A ring of bubbly retention remains as do a few tiny specks of scattered lace.

This has quite the hefty aroma. There is a good deal of burnt dark sugars; licorice, molasses and a faint, semi-sweet chocolate note. Hints of cocoa dust, too. Undertones of prunes. As it warms, dark fruit tones emerge; slightly vinous. Mild earthiness on the second pour.

The flavor profile is different than what I am used to in an imperial stout. The vinous tones are more apparent than in the aroma and set the tone for the beer. It has a tangy middle that eases towards sugary, burnt flavors. Molasses and heavy prune. Not at all boozy; just ever-so-slightly warming.

Full body but not absurdly heavy. The vinous aspects seem to impart a slick, viscous feel. Carbonation is low and offers just enough of a perfectly-proportioned fluffiness to match the feel of the beer. Hints of burnt sugar linger.

This is a really interesting and enjoyable take on the style. It is seated comfortably on the sugary side of things but it is far from being too sweet. Also, it's very unique; no other beers I have had strike me as similar.

Portsmouth Kate The Great from Portsmouth Brewery