Portsmouth Kate The Great | Portsmouth Brewery

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

Added by bewareOFpenguin on 04-07-2005

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed back on 888, reviewed from fairly meticulous notes. Shared with SAS, Inflatablechair, and theotherbeerguy.

My share poured into a Chimay goblet.

'07 bottle provided by Inflatablechair.... quite possibly the highlite of the tasting in my mind... Huge Thanks Sam!

Pour produced a beautiful lite brown head over a dark dark dark brew that only revealed the smallest rays of walnut highlites when held to a bright light... good lacing the entire glass.

Aroma is amazingly complex.. deep raisin and chocolate with a little bit of dried fruit... more chocolate and roasty.

For flavor.. note say see aroma but with even more complexity.. coffee and roasty with a little bit more fruit... dark dried cherries.. not as bitter as lending alot to the overall complexity.. just enough sweetness to tie it all together.. worthy of the hype... viscous but not overly thick.. still very drinkable.. even more so when we revisited the bottle a couple hours later.... wonderful for sure.

Another shout-out to Sam.. thanks sooo much.

4.5/4.5/5/4.5/4.5

Got this recently on a trip to the brewery, was notified by the waitress while eating dinner and kicking back some cask rocket Ipa that 3 bottles were available in the store, 2 08's, and 1 06 vintage. Sprinted/stumbled to the store to find only the 2006 bottle left, hmmm novices must have grabbed the first 2 to my ever pleasant glee. Shared with my beer-drinking buddy, certainly a beer one must share; this offering is just to special for just 1 person imho.

A-Black, thick sticky brown lacing

S-where to start, coffee, dark chocolate, black cherry, tobacco, oak, bourbon to name a few.

T-absolutely explodes across the tongue, so many flavors combine together in Kate that its magic that they don't combine in an offensive manner. Complete harmony, I quickly realize I'm certainly not worthy of this. Certainly this is art, perfection.

M-Every swallow is one less you will have, which is depressing, an absolute sensory tease. Flawless, hides the high abv very well, and lingers on the palate for sometime, hard to avoid taking that next pull, while it lasts, its certainly addicting.

D-Amazing, if given a constant supply bad things would ensue, maybe it's a good thing KTG is hard to come by. I feel blessed to have had a bottle with some age under the belt, really anxious to see if a newer vintage compares favorably. On a desert island and could chose only one beer, you guessed it. KTG has a complexity I've only previously found in great red wines. Simply an achievement. Wouldn't even take a beer connoisseur to appreciate.

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

a: This was almost, but not quite, jet black, I could see a little ruby around the edges. The head was slow forming but long lasting. It was frothy and dark mocha colored.

s: Kate had a subdued nose, but it was complex and enticing. Elements of dark chocolate, prickly sour cherries, biting, vaguely coffee bitterness, and a little alcoholic heat. Superb.

t: Up front I found big smoky, chocolatey malt flavors. Sour cherry tastes tinged with some citric hop bitterness came next. The finish is a bit dry and roasty with a healty dose of heat. This was well balanced despite the huge flavors.

m: Excellent overall, with a thick velvety texture and lush, creamy carbonation.

d: Big big thanks to joepais for the chance to try this one. One of the best brews I've tried from one of the best traders out there.

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

I enjoyed several of these on tap at the release, but never got around to writing my review at that time. Figured I'd review from my bottle.

Pours an opaque black with a creamy two-finger mocha head that seems to last forever, but eventually fades to a floating cap and a thick sticky ring. Thick sheets/lacing left down the glass. Beautiful!

Huge nose of dark roasted coffee beans, vanilla, raisins, espresso beans, baker's chocolate, and a hint of alcohol. A few whiffs of a hop presence floating around there somewhere as well. Wow, is this complex!

Taste starts with some vinous fruits, like black cherry, raspberry and currants, before some milk chocolate, rum-soaked raisins, and some warming alcohol. There's a faint, but noticeable, grapefruity and piny hop bitterness throughout. Dark roasted coffee and chocolate covered espresso beans lead into a long dry finish.

Full-bodied, smooth, and creamy mouthfeel. It's never cloying or syrupy. Excellent dry finish.

Perfect drinkability, even for such a full-bodied complex brew. I could easily (and have!) drink several of these in a night. My hat's off to Tod Mott and the folks at Portsmouth!

4.2/5  rDev -6.9%

Big Thanks to the one and only BeerTruth for sharing this one.

A: Pours as dark as any liquid on earth. Likes like a mixture and pure evil. The head is big and bold with an espresso appearence. The retention is wonderful, this one don't want to die. Nice veins of lace race down the glass. Good start!

T: This one is very rich and somewhat creamy. It is heavy on the roasted malt with chocolate really standing out. Coffee makes a brief appearence only to yeild to the dark fruits. A splash of vanilla, smoke, and booze round things out.

M: Full bodied and creamy with a bit of a prickly alcohol burn.

D: Drinkable. Not the best RIS in the world but it is solid

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

I've had this a few times now, first on draft at the release and then a couple of times out of the bottle. I was unimpressed with it on draft, but my friends have since convinced me that it was too cold. I rated it well at a blind IS tasting and liked it a lot tonight...

Pours into a Yeti tulip, black with just a little head. Heavy roasted coffee, with a little chocolate and molasses. It's nice and smokey, and more complex than I remembered it at the release.

The joys of being a father know no bounds...

So at the tail end of my three month vacation I took to be a stay at home dad with my daughter I received a call from rocketfrog asking me if I wanted to go to Kate the Great Day at Portsmouth Brewing. "Why the hell not?" I say and a few days later with my daughter in tow we're heading up to New Hampshire.

We arrive around 1:30 or so and are among the last people to get a calendar page (November 7 & 8 I believe). The beer was released at 2:27pm. We wait and chat with the other people in line. Many familiar BA faces, some of which had just volunteered at the ACBF in Boston. I was offered a taste of Kate while we were waiting outside.

Love at first sip.

When the calendar dwindled down to the early Fall and we did the math, we realized we most likely weren't going home with Kate. October was called one day at a time, instead of the entire month. All of October received their beer, but that would be the end of Kate for the day. We were told to come back on rain check day with our calendar pages and we could buy the beer when they bottled more.

We had talked with Blackkristos for much of the wait and as he was leaving with his four bottles of Kate handed me one bottle as a gift for having waited for so long with my daughter. Tremendous beer karma goes out to him.

Rocketfrog and I had a glass at the bar before heading back home, and I had two glasses on that Friday with joepais when I went back up to collect my bottles on rain check day.

As for my review of Kate the Great....Totally, 100% worth the hype.

4.69/5  rDev +4%

A- Pours black with a nice mocha-colored head

S- The smell is fantastic cocoa dominates the scent with whiffs of cherries accenting it

T- The cherry is more pronounced in the taste, but the cocoa is still the leading flavor. Subtle notes of toffee and caramel are present as well.

M- Thick, but not syrupy with a pleasant carbonation. Very slight alcohol warmth out of the bottle, however the alcohol is not noticeable at all on-tap

D- Very

Overall a fantastic beer. I thought it was a little plain when I had it on tap, but out of the bottle, the flavors are much more pronounced

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

Shared by friends as part of a Kate/Dark Lord/Abyss tasting. I did mine blind for the first half and this was my favorite.

A-Pours a deep black with a nice tan head that lasts and lasts. Nice lacing as well. Beautiful.

S-Roasty coffee notes blend with bittersweet chocolate for a nice mocha aroma. Nice malt with faint hops in the background.

T-Exceptionally good. Following the nose with strong mocha taste and a rich maltiness. Finishes with a bit of sweet chocolate.

M-Rich and creamy with nice carbonation.

D-Outstanding. I could drink these all night with pleasure. Not overly heavy, alcohol is well hidden.

This is about as good as beer gets. Lives up to the hype.

HV

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

Thank you to a certain trader who probably doesn't want to be hoarded with beermails...

The verdict first: this is a world class beer that lives up to it's name. It's got loads of depth and complexity, and the brewer managed to keep it all balanced and subtle. It's a whole-hearted tribute to the style, enhanced by the masterful touch of an artist.

One of my favorite parts is the mocha-colored head that strongly resembles that of a cask ale. Carbonation is light and foamy like heavy cream thats very lightly whipped.

Lots of subtle flavors that bounce around my nose and mouth like vanilla, cherry tobacco, hot chocolate, carmel malt, licorice, carob, and dark and milk chocolate. Quite an impressive nose considering the level of carbonation.

Mouthfeel is like velvet. Silky, chewy, and creamy (lactose? oatmeal? rye maybe?). Low carbonation is perfect for this beer and melts with the chocolate notes quite beautifully.

Mild hopping rate with noble hops. This is not one of those Storm King type beers with extreme bitterness. It is the very definition of balance and restraint.

Drinkability is way up there. Partly because it's not cloying at all, even when considering the strength, and partly because its SO FREAKING GOOD!!!!

I'm ranking this up there with the best beers I've had. This is the one that gives alot of other hyped up beer a real run for their money. Thanks for the opportuity!

4.23/5  rDev -6.2%

Huge thanks to BeerTruth for sending me this rarity.

Appearance: It pours a damn near onyx color. I can't see any light getting through, even around the edges. Sitting atop is a one and a half finger mocha colored head. It dissipated pretty quickly and left a light, spotty coat of lace lining the glass. Probably attributed to the abv. Excellent marks for color though.

Smell: Waves of roasted malts roll off the top. Chocolate matls follow suit and it has a nice sweet aroma as a result. There is a healthy amount of roasted coffee blended in. Alcohol is noticeable on the nose. It's not overly strong, but easily detected. There's some light dark fruit notes that emerge late. Prune and raisin seem to be the main components. Ultimately, I can't help but note that it's a slight disappointment in this department. It's just a little too weak to warrant extremely high marks. That being said, it is a nice smelling beer. It's just doesn't come through as strong as it should.

Taste: It's sweet and chocolaty. Roasted and chocolate malts are blended well and give it an excellent flavor. Chocolate malts are a little stronger and give it a nice cocoa effect. The coffee flavor is very notable and complements the malt flavors perfectly. The flavor profile is very rich, yet appetizing. Raisin and prune flavors are secondary and play a complementary role. But, they add quite a bit of depth and complexity. Alcohol is faintly noticeable and has a slight warming effect. Finishes sweet and slightly dry.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's full bodied and has an excellent feel. It's extremely smooth and creamy. It's liquid silk. Carbonation is on the light side which adds to the creamy effect. Drinkability is very high for thick beer with 9.5% abv. I'm splitting the bomber I have, but would gladly attempt to take down a bomber (and perhaps more) on my own. It goes down that easy.

What's the verdict? No doubt it's a very good beer. I don't necessarily think I'd characterize it as one of the top three beers in the world. Portsmouth has crafted a very good RIS. But, given the number of quality imperial stouts out there, this one doesn't really stand out in any way. Perhaps the hype created expectations that were just a little too lofty.

4.13/5  rDev -8.4%

Much appreciation goes to prototypic for the chance to try this beer.

A - Pours almost completely black. A close inspection reveals some bright ruby highlights around the edges. The tan head rose to acceptable levels and stuck around for a bit. The resulting lace around the glass was pleasant. Kate is a pretty one.

S - Roasted notes hit the nose first and quickly fade to a combination of chocolate milk and milk chocolate. Some dark fruit is in the middle somewhere and is really too mild to pinpoint. Warm alcohol finishes it off. Aroma is much lighter than expected.

T - Roasted notes dominate the flavor. A dry smokiness also comes in strong at first. The fruit is stronger in the flavor than the aroma would lead one to expect. Notes of cherry and raisin abound. Bittersweet chocolate has a showing about midway. Coffee flavors are on the tail end and round out the flavor.
Note: Alcohol very noticeable in this one and leans toward being a tad hot.

M - Medium bodied with a near perfect level of carbonation. Remains smooth throughout. Finish is quite dry and bitter. This beer lingers on the palate forever. Beautiful.

D - Drinkability is good. Having chocolate and coffee show up last in the flavor profile is a nice touch. The alcohol is warming but comes very close to being too hot. That does put some limitations on drinkability. The finish and mouthfeel are spectacular. Overall this is a good beer that I would definitely try agian.

4.03/5  rDev -10.6%

'08 vintage.

Appearance: Kate pours a rich obsidian color, completely opaque as any imperial stout should be. Three inches of foam rises from a gentle pour, slowly settling into a quarter-inch cap and leaving a ton of sticky lace as it descends. Head retention is outstanding, far beyond other beers of this style.

Smell: Rich and sweet - cocoa and cream with an undertone of tart fruit. Pleasantly aromatic.

Taste & mouthfeel: Pretty rich and choocolatey, like liquid chocolate cake. The malt backbone on this stuff is enormous and decidedly on the sweet side for the style. I've heard that this year's batch is around 12%, and the sweetness is fitting of that ABV. Flavors of milk chocolate, tart berries, semi-burnt toast, sweet cream and caramel fill the palate but never overwhelm it. It finishes semi-dry with a hint of alcohol and a slight acrid quality. I think that this will mellow in time however, and I can imagine this stuff tasting very good in 6 months. As it stands I'd say that it lacks the complexity of other imperial stouts I've tried, though it's a solid and enjoyable beer.

4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

Enjoyed and reviewed as part of cburian's RIS showdown. Thanks for the chance to try some great brews!

Appearance is dark brown, oily, little head.

Light coffee nose, malty vanilla flavors as well.

Sweet vanilla fruitiness. Little of the coffee/chocolate flavors that we find in other RIS. Very different, but very good.

Moderate thick and oily mouthfeel.

Good stuff. Moderate drinkability. Two tulips did go down quite nicely on KTG release day, however...

4.15/5  rDev -8%

Served at cellar temp in a small taster from a 22 oz bottle.

Very dark cola syrup brown, viscous, with a surprisingly light tan head.

Nose is big with caramel and vanilla and a hint of bourbon. Slight alcohol aroma, but not boozy.

Big chocolatey flavor with plenty of coffee.

Feels like a high ABV beer, but still very clean, heavy body makes it linger at the finish.

This beer has really excellent drinkability, it's smooth and clean. Served as part of a blind tasting, beer wasn't revealed until reviews were done on all eight RIS's. Failed to guess who this was, really thrown off by the complexity and the (imaginary?) bourbon.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

On tap at the brewery I guess it time I finally review this wonderful elixir.
The barkeep brought me my tulip style glass the body was Jet black almost looks like molasses topped of with a coco colored head that turns to thick lace that slides down the glass while you drink it .

Aromas of roasted malts so you get your typical coffee and chocolate notes but you have to let Kate warm for her true colors to show in the nose .I sat one glass aside while I drank my first and the second glass really had wonderful vanilla notes along with the port oak note as well

Coco flavor's my wife said at one point it was choc full of chocolaty goodness so it kind of reminded her of ovelteen slight bitter roasted aftertaste to help balance out the malts This is the 4th batch I have had and I will say I think this one is a little bigger in the alcohol then the rest maybe it because it warmer out but it did sneak up on me this time

Thick, rich and full are words that come to mind when describing the mouthfeel almost no carbonation after the pour

I ended up with getting my usual 6 glass per batch even though she didn't stay around as long but I normally don't drink two of them in one day either I did this time around. my common practice it to nurse a glass for about an hour it is one of those brews you just hate to finish I gets better at room temperature so I always take my time anyways .Now I will tell you this is a beer geeks beer so its not for everyone. I have seen people send it back, and a few of the regulars just can't drink it. Although lately they are in the minority

4.87/5  rDev +8%

Ended up spending about 6 hours total just hanging out, talking to people, trying other Portsmouth beers and then having a few pints of Kate after they tapped the keg on her big day.

Poured into my Imperial pint glass (aka, a regular pint glass for Kate). Very dark and viscous, good sized head that leaves some lacing.

Smell is out there, tons of things flying into my nose, strong roasted malt presence along with chocolate, coffee, and many other things I couldn't possibly separate into names.

Taste hits your tongue immediately, the malt, coffee and chocolate assault your taste buds and make them tingle, although that could be the slight warming sensation from the alcohol, which while drinking is very hard to make out. Near the end of the taste, there is a slight bitterness, probably not from the hops but the dark chocolate presence.

A great beer but an even better day of hanging out at the downstairs lounge while Reg kept the beer flowing.

Edit:

Had the 2010 version on-tap on Kate day and found it to be highly disappointing. It was a sugary, syrupy, cloying mess. If I was to rate it again, it would be vastly lower than the 2008 version I had. Gone is the complex dark fruit aroma and taste of cherry and raisin, in is a massively sweet sugar beer. Honestly, I don't see how Tod thought this was the best version of Kate he's made yet. At least I still have a bottle of 2008 to fall back on, which still tastes good.

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

2008 bottle > split between a snifter (11 oz.) & chimay goblet (11 0z.)

Of course this gal's totally black in color, opaque for sure. Unlike the on-tap version, the crown starts off at 2" and it's amazingly thick and creamy. The crown is a dark brown color with ultra-sticky lacing with massive thick clumps all over.

The malt smells soooo sweet! honey and maple syrup with brown sugar, hershey's chocolate, cafe mocha with a shot of vanilla and cream. There is also a subtle dark fruit edge with a mild tangy effect on the nose. Slight heat tingle, let's you know it's there.

The malt complexity of this old gal is out of this world! deep chocolate, brown sugar but also roastie coffe notes as it warms up to room temp. Peanut butter and toffee, all from the malt!! The balance is very nice with a semi-bitter, earthy and leafy hop. The hop profile is actually much more noticable after some time and is much bigger than the on-tap version I thought. The hop and rather sharp, whiskey-ish heat hits the palate right after the malt flavor's fade and blend together. The fisnish was slightly more bitter than I remember when I was at the brewery, but it's still less hop-headed than it's little sis, the Smuttynose RIS.

The feel is simply perfect. full, heavy, smooth, creamy but sooo damn easy to drink. A wonderful palate massage.

This might just be a perfect "5" after a year or so in the cellar.

4.59/5  rDev +1.8%

Drank on-tap at the Portsmouth Brewery, Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Served in a tulip glass at the Kate the Great Tapping on June 24th

Poured an absolute pitch black. There was not a hint of light coming through this oily mass. The three-finger, bubbly head of coffee-colored foam slowly faded to a resilient film. Thick blankets of lacing coated the glass with each sip and lasted long after the beer was finished.

The aroma was powdery and yeasty initially. Somewhat chalky and dry. Rather disappointing. As the beer warmed, the nose came out a bit more. Vanilla was noticeable along with brown sugar.

The taste was simply sublime. Bittersweet, chocolatey (dark chocolate) and rich with strong notes of roasted coffee, bourbon, vanilla and brown sugar. Figs, prunes and raisins came through in the center. The finish was slightly hoppy with espresso notes and a mild roastiness. The aftertaste was simply astounding. Like the flavor itself, it was bittersweet and rich with long-lasting notes of bourbon and cocoa. Dare I say this was the best aspect of the beer?

Mouthfeel was creamy, oily and ultra smooth. Palate coating with a fine, mild carbonation.

This was unquestionably the most drinkable Russian imperial stout I have ever sampled. Between the outstanding flavor, the amazing balance and the barely noticeable 9.5% ABV, it is simply dangerous.

To simply call this beer "smooth" would be a huge understatement, yet this one word alone may be the best way to describe it. The palate was intense, yet so mellow. Unlike most Russian imperial stouts which are dominated by bitter flavors (hops, espresso, char), this one is definitely more focused on sweeter ones (chocolate, bourbon and brown sugar). Though not the "biggest" example of a RIS, I would definitely have to say this was one of (if not) the best I have ever tried.

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

After much anticipation and with great enthusiasm I finally got to try the much-touted Kate the Great and I must say I was not disappointed. The presentation was perfect, after purchasing my two bottles I returned to my table to find it was the first table to receive the beer.

The appearance was as expected, opaque with a nice chocolate head. The aroma was very mild and sweet. This beer was very drinkable, smooth and malty with perfectly balanced notes of coffee, chocolate with a nice toffee finish. I perceived a little bitterness at the end either from the hops or possibly black patent malt, either way the sensation was welcome. There was a little heat detected from the alcohol. This was apparent even while the beverage was cold though the heat didn't increase as the beer warmed.

Overall I'd say this brew is worthy of nobility and common folk alike.

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Had on tap at hte brewery- my first one at aproximately 2:32 p.m. on tuesday. I think I was the 9th or 10th pour. Poured into a tulip glass. Very, very black. Nice 2 finger tan head. No light gets through this one. Maybe a tinge of redness at the bottom of the tulip when held up to the light. Smell is very inviting and warming- lots of roasted malt flavor, coffee and chocolate. Little bit of alcohol in the back to boot. Taste is similar. Extremely smooth, but tons of different flavors. THe coffe and chocolate come to the front, but there is also some alcohol, some light hops flavor for a bitter kick, and I also get some dark fruit and cherries. Great mouthfeel, little bit oily. Extremely drinkable for an ris. I can have a few of these at a sitting. (and I did)

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

Add another believer to the list.

I was lucky enough to be at Portsmouth Brewing on 6/24 @ 2:27pm.

IT was hard not to get caught up in the hype and I was very concerned about Kate living up to the events excitement.

Kate lived up to it's reputation and showed that she is truly Great.

I am saving the 4 bottles that my wife and I were able to secure, but we did enjoy several glasses before heading home.

Kate was served in a tulip glass and immediately showed it's greatness. A thick creamy tan head sat atop the beer then it faded to a thin foamy top that was sticky and thick.

The aroma was great and hinted to the flavors to come. Clearly the malt came through, but I also noted vanilla and molasses.

After taking the first several sips it became clear to me why this beer is so sought after.

This is, by far,the smoothest 9+% beer I've ever tasted. While the mouthfeel was big/sticky and bold it was somehow extremely drinkable.
Balance was perfect and you were left with a bit of lingering goodness after you had swallowed the latest sip. Silky SMOOTH

My wife, who is a Pilsner fan at best, also loved this brew. That's saying something for a Stout this big.

I seriously think this opened her eyes to a whole new style. I don't know how to tell her they all don't taste this wonderful.

Bottom line, this is an aptly named beer.

Kate is Great.

Enjoyed meeting all the fellow Beer Advocate members. What a great day!

4.95/5  rDev +9.8%

At 2:27 the bar erupted into a cheer as the keg was tapped and for good reason. Poured in a tulip glass arrived at table with a decent 1cm head. Beer is very dark but drinks easily. Strong aroma, light in the mouth ,light carbonation and I could not detect any alcohol taste under the big chocolate and malt flavors. A hint of berry. Loved this beer and have 2 bottles at home to try on a special day.

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

On-tap 6/24/08 at the brewpub, poured shortly after the first keg of the June 2008 release was tapped, served in a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark black color, with a large tan head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of dark chocolate, rich roasted malts, some coffee and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste is malty and rich but very well-balanced with flavors of dark chocolate, a little black coffee and a little dark fruit. The ABV is hidden quite well. The after-taste is bitter-sweet. Not much else to say about it other than that I think what makes Kate great is how well the flavors come together.

M: Very smooth with a little crispness, medium-to-heavy body, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down dangerously easily, not too filling, strong kick, excellent representation of style, this is an outstanding beer. I'm not sure if it's worth the lengths to which many people have gone to get it, but I believe this beer has lived up to the hype it has received.

4.33/5  rDev -4%

Bottle in trade for Pastor (joepais). Thanks a ton for this one!! <Br>
Pours black with a medium sized tan head. Smell is roasty, chocolate, and not over the top at all. Taste is rich, chocolate cake-y-ness, but in a semi sweet sort of way. Fudge like and still hoppy and rich with light carbonation. This was a great brew and lived up to my expectations. I look forward to trying this again!!
Thanks again for this one, Joe!

Portsmouth Kate The Great from Portsmouth Brewery