Portsmouth 5 C's IPA | Portsmouth Brewery

Portsmouth Brewery
New Hampshire, United States
portsmouthbrewery.com

Style: American IPA

Our interpretation of a West Coast IPA is golden, medium-bodied ale that is very hop forward. The use of Cascade, Chinook, Columbus, Centennial and Crystal hops makes this beer a hophead’s dream.

Added by joepais on 09-04-2008

Liked:
4.08/5
Alströms:

4.82/5  rDev +18.1%

I'm reviewing this after the EBF 09.
Waiting for supper, on my iPhone.

A. Hazy orange with off white head... Nice lacing

S. Citrus... grape fruit up front in the nose. Hops hops and more hops!!!

T. Citrus then sweet biscuit malt.

M. Crisp, hops, pine, citrus....

D. Well balanced for 6.5% a hoppy IPA... I've had two! Yum

4.57/5  rDev +12%

Donna poured me this hop bomb in a Imperial pint glass. When it arrived it had a fingers worth of white head that turned to a thick lace that slid down the glass as you drank it. The body was a clear orange yellow in color.

The aromas is very hop forward. Right of the bat you get the hit of citrus, lemons and grapefruit. It has a really great hop floral presence especially with the big wide mouth of a Imp pint glass placing your nose right in the brew.

Taste like hops and lots of them although you do get a nice sweet front note of crystal malts. Following that you get hit with the mouth drying grapefruit and pine resin bitter. The mouthfeel is medium with just the right amount of carbonation to keep this brew very drinkable.

The hops used for the 5 C's are Columbus, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook and Crystal, Plus Simcoe hops I guess that's where the 's comes in. This is the biggest Hop bomb I seen Portsmouth produce. If you are a Hop head you need to try this one, it is very drinkable. I had a few and I'm heading back for more

4.57/5  rDev +12%

On tap at the brewery for my brother-in-law's 21st b-day.

A - Amber pour with a thin white head.

S - Pine hops, sweet caramel malts, some grass/earthy tones.

T - Delicious. Grapefruit, citrus, pine hops, caramel sweetness, some toasty flavors, and crisp bitter finish.

M - Moderate carbonation and sticky.

D - Ordered 3 of these. Too bad I didn't have an empty growler with me to get more. Love this beer.

4.55/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Hazy orange yellow. definitely west coast dry hop bomb. Lost head a little quick. Tastes great! Good first stop in Portsmouth.

4.53/5  rDev +11%

A big thanks to soccerman7 who brought this to me at the Captain Lawrence Cuvee De Castleton Batch 3 release yesterday!

Appearance: Very nice orange amber with dirty honey folds and a slightly off white crown. Lots of retention and lacing. The crown has a nice oily sheen luring me in for a smell.

Smell: Lots of floral hops, herbal notes, some pine resin and spices.

Taste: Oh wow this one is good. Well crafted, non-abrasive hop bitterness up front and a slightly sweet english or possibly caramel malt. Extremely well balanced to me.

Mouthfeel: Oh is this one a gem. Medium bodied and slightly creamy yet crisp if that is possible?

Drinkability: Not only could I drink these all day, I want to!

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

On tap at the brewery on 2/20/09. Served in an Imperial Pint glass.

Pours a somewhat hazy organge copper with a finger of smooth and creamy brite-white head. Retention skims the surface, with a nice rich and frothy look that just drenches the sides of the glass with thick lacing. The aroma is very West Coast smelling, with a ton of floral, herbal, and spicy accents; but there is also an underlying and nicely balancing sweet tang of tropical fruits and caramel malts.

The taste starts with a nicely assertive bitterness that grips the tongue from the get-go, leaving a sticky (at first) and then more dry and spicy lingering feel on the palate. Much like the nose, all of this hop character is well balanced by a silky and tangy mix of citrus and bready caramel malt sweetness that actually works it's way into and lingers in the finish as well. The mouthfeel is exceptionally slick and creamy feeling and just slides down the throat effortlessly.

Wow! Portsmouth just continues to impress me with what they do and this was yet another hoppy offering that just blew me away. Packed with a ton of West Coast character and the feel and drinkibility of this was obscene. Very nice!

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Had on tap excellent wanted to pick up a bottle or two in the gift shop. They were out decided against getting a growler (what was I thinking). Here is the review.

A - Bright orange nice head poured into a pint glass at the brewery.

S - Wonderful hop forward orange, citrus just nice.

T - Again light "balanced" just a tasted a touch of malts and the awesome hop character. Citruis abound can't believe this is only 6.5%

M - Again nice tingiling feel smoothness just a nice feel.

D - Had two could have had a bunch more absolutely lovely.

I know Portsmouth rotates their beers this should be in their regular rotation.

I would have liked to try this from the bottle and kicked myself once home that I didn't get at least a growler.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Had on draft at the Portsmouth Brewery, poured into a pint glass.

The appearance is a slightly foggy amber/orange, very cloudy and light around the edges.

The smell is grapefruit and citrus, but much more mild than a west coast example of the style. There are tones of lemon and fresh cut grass as underneath, but not much malt, this beer is all hops in the nose.

The taste is a bitter/citrusy splash of grapefruit on the tongue that is quickly dried out by an equally bitter but somewhat mild pine flavor. There isn't much malt to this beer, just a slight fruity sweetness that is very welcome.

The beer is perfectly carbonated and for a beer this hoppy it is also relatively low in alcohol at 6.5%. It is very bitter, dry and citrusy, but something that I could drink all night long. It has all the characteristics of a west coast DIPA as far as the hop and citrus characteristics are concerned, but they keep the sugary sweet characteristics out. In my opinion this is better than the Bottle Rocket IPA (also from Portsmouth), the Torpedo, Smuttynose Finest Kind and most other standard IPAs available; it's one of the finest beers that they have brewed at the Portsmouth Brewery yet.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from a growler filled at the bar last week. I sealed it with electrical tape and kept it in the frige for one week unopened.

Appearance is a very cloudy dark luminous orange (practically opaque) with a small, creamy offwhite head. The head drops to a film quickly but leaves diaphanous panels of remembrance down the sides of the glass.

Scent is first floral and citrus with Portsmouth's characteristic fresh bread notes. On further inspection grapefruit and pine emerge.

I love the unmistakable tangy (almost like sourdough) and crusty fresh bread flavor Portmouth IPA's always have. It's like breaking open a steaming hot loaf of sourdough bread fresh from the oven and enjoying the moist tangy chewy doughy flesh and slightly bitter, slightly charred crisp crust. 5 C's shares that malt character with Bottle Rocket but has a greater citrus content. Primarily grapefruit with lime peel and orange pith. Earthy and spicy hops. Dry fragrant pine appears on the backend with a gathering bitterness that builds and lingers. The balance is remarkable; this ale is all about hops, yet the malt character is such a present and satisfying part of this ale.

Mouth begins creamy and coating and ends astringent and puckering.

Drinkability is fantastic. I could enjoy this all day.

I love this IPA to the bitter end and I wish Portsmouth would put it on more often.

4.49/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

64oz Growler

This is yet another great beer received from the man himself Kegatron, thanks again Heath! 5 Cs IPA has a body that glows sunset orange with a slight haziness throughout. The dish soap white head rises to two fingers on the pour and barely settles below that. The head is super creamy with sticky lacing covering the glass 100%. It's been awhile since I've seen a head take hold such as this one. This is one fine looking IPA to put it lightly.

Big juicy, fruity citrus greets me the second I jam my beak down into the glass. Grapefruit, tangerine, and even some mango jump out while an undercurrent of pine holds it's own in the back. The pine actually stands out more with the deeper pulls I take off this brew. The citrus is of the sweetened, candied variety and sits atop a rich caramel backbone. There is a good deal of hops tossed into this IPA and the aromas range from citrus to pine and spicy to herbal all at once. There's a very complex hoppiness to the nose.

All those hop complexities wash across the tongue with each sip. Caramel and a somewhat sweet almost tea like quality lay down the base for the generous hopping. The hops come across as citrusy up front (grapefruit, orange, and tangerine) while they're met with a nice spicy character. The piney, resinous quality doesn't come across until the swallow and slaps down a solid layer of bitterness that I'm hugely fond of. The resin lingers on my tongue long after each drink has disappeared.

The mouthfeel couldn't get much better. A soft carbonation and a moderate body make for an incredibly velvety feel. The bitterness lingers along the sides of the tongue and in the throat.

Drinkability is way up there. A pint disappears far too quickly. While the hops bring some bitterness it never gets too much to enjoy multiple glasses.

Portsmouth brews some great beers and 5 C's is right up there at the top. This really is a good IPA, one I'd love to be able to pick up in this area. I'd pass by a lot of others on the shelves to get to this one. Thanks for the great brew Heath, send more!

Reviewed: 2/28/09

4.47/5  rDev +9.6%

Thanks joepais for this growler in the Growling at the Moon - The Daylight Growling Time edition. This is my first beer from Portsmouth, thanks so much Joe!

A - A bit hazy not quite cloudy, but golden colored with orange hues when held to the light. The head from the pour was about one-finger's worth with a good amount a lacing left behind on the glass as I drink it down.

S - I really loved the smell from this one! Nice bouquet of floral hops and citrus hops. Honestly I couldn't stop smelling this one over and over!!

T/M - Lives up to the smell in the hops department. Hops from the beginning. The story starts with some citrusy hops. They are gently brushed to side by some spicy notes with a little pine sprinkled in there for good measure. Despite the bitterness as you swallow it is smooth and velvety. The carbonation on this one is great, soft and just enough to keep you coming back for more. Medium mouthfeel, but the thing that hold on in your mouth is those hops!! GREAT!!

D - Simply fantastic! For all the hops in this guy, I'm impressed how easy it is to drink. At 6.5% with a ton of hops I would (if I could) drink this all the time. But one growler (with one pint going to my wife) in a night will have to do for now.

If all the other Portsmouth beers are this good, I understand the hype!! Thanks so much Joe!!

4.36/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a very attractive hazy orange from the growler into my snifter. A thin white head forms but quickly recedes and leaves behind just a skimming.

No surprise in the nose, hops, and plenty of them. Mostly fruity and citrusy notes. Taste is quite hoppy as well but there also a nice bready maltiness to balance things out perfectly. The citrus hops are the most noticeable. It's a smooth citrus flavor unlike other IPA's that can have a strong grapefruit flavor. Plenty of bitterness follows each sip but it's not overpowering.

Hop lovers will love this one but everyone will enjoy it for it's smooth drinkabilty. Flavor seems to disappear off the palate a little quickly, but this is the only real complaint I have, and it's a minor one. Very nice effort from Portsmouth Brewery. Me and the wife will have no problem finishing this growler.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

I got this is the Under 100 BIF from joepais. Thanks Joe! My first Portsmouth brew..
Pours a slightly chilled clear medium-light amber with a smallish white head that doesn't stick around long. This has great clarity and looks very inviting.
Smells very nice. Nothing really stands out for me. The hop/malt aroma kind of blends together, interesting.
This has a very interesting taste to it. I get malts up front, then nice citrus hops in the back, and after those I get an interesting spiciness at the end. I'm having a hard time pin-pointing it, but it really helps fill this beer out and also helps it stand out. Also a nice dryness at the end. I like this. Edit: Had to raise the taste grade, it was too low for this good of a beer.
5C's has a great mouthfeel. It's got a nice bitter/spicy bite, but it doesn't overpower my palate. Leaves a pleasant aftertaste.
I have a hard time putting the glass down, so the drinkability is very high. A very well made beer for sure. I am very excited to try more of their brews, and I will as I have 4 more different ones form Joe. A very nice IPA.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks to CooperEllis for the bottle which I'm consuming after playing football. There's an excellent lacing and a half finger head when you pour it out. Some head remains and there's walking legs, which is pretty impressive for a low alcohol India Pale Ale. It's amber and golden hued, and it's hazy.

The beer smells like the hops that it features, which is a blend of crystal, chinook, centennial, cascade, and columbus. Hard to find 5 that go so smoothly together. This one reminds me a bit of Bell's Two Hearted. It tastes that way too, with a bite coming at the start, and some bitter lingering at the end. Malts and grapefruit and pine in the middle.

Smooth, well carbonated, easy to put back with lunch post football. I really enjoyed this one.

Now to work on getting my knee to bend properly.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

The beer poured with a thin one finger head that was white and foamy. The head slowly receded back into the beer then got working on leaving a nice amount of lacing on the inside of the glass. The beer was a clear copper/gold color (light bright amber) with no visible carbonation.

Aroma was huge, and of floral & perfume notes. There certainly was a slightly sweet and also baked bread aroma in the background. Very nice aroma.

Hop Monster flavor. This is a nice beer and I actually like it more than the Bottle Rocket (which is also very good) A nice combo of some real fresh hop notes and a fresh bread taste. Pine flavors, grapefruit and background sweetness are all evident. Big Cascade finish.

Mouth feel is medium bodied based on viscosity, but big based upon the hop presence.

Drinkability is high, as I love this beer. We were able to enjoy this today at Portsmouth Brewing. I brought home a couple bombers for trade and a growler for the next couple of days.

A very nice IPA.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Clear and copper colored with a thin head. Sticky resin flavor and taste. Outright bitter with a nice sweet undertone. Excellent beer.

Portsmouth 5 C's IPA from Portsmouth Brewery