Love Belgian Beer?

Portsmouth 5 C's IPAPortsmouth 5 C's IPA

Portsmouth Brewery
New Hampshire, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Our interpretation of a West Coast IPA is golden, medium-bodied ale that is very hop forward. The use of Cascade, Chinook, Columbus, Centennial and Crystal hops makes this beer a hophead’s dream.

Added by joepais on 09-04-2008

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 38 | Ratings: 90
4.82/5  rDev +17.3%

I'm reviewing this after the EBF 09.
Waiting for supper, on my iPhone.

A. Hazy orange with off white head... Nice lacing

S. Citrus... grape fruit up front in the nose. Hops hops and more hops!!!

T. Citrus then sweet biscuit malt.

M. Crisp, hops, pine, citrus....

D. Well balanced for 6.5% a hoppy IPA... I've had two! Yum

4.57/5  rDev +11.2%

Donna poured me this hop bomb in a Imperial pint glass. When it arrived it had a fingers worth of white head that turned to a thick lace that slid down the glass as you drank it. The body was a clear orange yellow in color.

The aromas is very hop forward. Right of the bat you get the hit of citrus, lemons and grapefruit. It has a really great hop floral presence especially with the big wide mouth of a Imp pint glass placing your nose right in the brew.

Taste like hops and lots of them although you do get a nice sweet front note of crystal malts. Following that you get hit with the mouth drying grapefruit and pine resin bitter. The mouthfeel is medium with just the right amount of carbonation to keep this brew very drinkable.

The hops used for the 5 C's are Columbus, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook and Crystal, Plus Simcoe hops I guess that's where the 's comes in. This is the biggest Hop bomb I seen Portsmouth produce. If you are a Hop head you need to try this one, it is very drinkable. I had a few and I'm heading back for more

4.57/5  rDev +11.2%

On tap at the brewery for my brother-in-law's 21st b-day.

A - Amber pour with a thin white head.

S - Pine hops, sweet caramel malts, some grass/earthy tones.

T - Delicious. Grapefruit, citrus, pine hops, caramel sweetness, some toasty flavors, and crisp bitter finish.

M - Moderate carbonation and sticky.

D - Ordered 3 of these. Too bad I didn't have an empty growler with me to get more. Love this beer.

4.53/5  rDev +10.2%

A big thanks to soccerman7 who brought this to me at the Captain Lawrence Cuvee De Castleton Batch 3 release yesterday!

Appearance: Very nice orange amber with dirty honey folds and a slightly off white crown. Lots of retention and lacing. The crown has a nice oily sheen luring me in for a smell.

Smell: Lots of floral hops, herbal notes, some pine resin and spices.

Taste: Oh wow this one is good. Well crafted, non-abrasive hop bitterness up front and a slightly sweet english or possibly caramel malt. Extremely well balanced to me.

Mouthfeel: Oh is this one a gem. Medium bodied and slightly creamy yet crisp if that is possible?

Drinkability: Not only could I drink these all day, I want to!

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

On tap at the brewery on 2/20/09. Served in an Imperial Pint glass.

Pours a somewhat hazy organge copper with a finger of smooth and creamy brite-white head. Retention skims the surface, with a nice rich and frothy look that just drenches the sides of the glass with thick lacing. The aroma is very West Coast smelling, with a ton of floral, herbal, and spicy accents; but there is also an underlying and nicely balancing sweet tang of tropical fruits and caramel malts.

The taste starts with a nicely assertive bitterness that grips the tongue from the get-go, leaving a sticky (at first) and then more dry and spicy lingering feel on the palate. Much like the nose, all of this hop character is well balanced by a silky and tangy mix of citrus and bready caramel malt sweetness that actually works it's way into and lingers in the finish as well. The mouthfeel is exceptionally slick and creamy feeling and just slides down the throat effortlessly.

Wow! Portsmouth just continues to impress me with what they do and this was yet another hoppy offering that just blew me away. Packed with a ton of West Coast character and the feel and drinkibility of this was obscene. Very nice!

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Had on tap excellent wanted to pick up a bottle or two in the gift shop. They were out decided against getting a growler (what was I thinking). Here is the review.

A - Bright orange nice head poured into a pint glass at the brewery.

S - Wonderful hop forward orange, citrus just nice.

T - Again light "balanced" just a tasted a touch of malts and the awesome hop character. Citruis abound can't believe this is only 6.5%

M - Again nice tingiling feel smoothness just a nice feel.

D - Had two could have had a bunch more absolutely lovely.

I know Portsmouth rotates their beers this should be in their regular rotation.

I would have liked to try this from the bottle and kicked myself once home that I didn't get at least a growler.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Had on draft at the Portsmouth Brewery, poured into a pint glass.

The appearance is a slightly foggy amber/orange, very cloudy and light around the edges.

The smell is grapefruit and citrus, but much more mild than a west coast example of the style. There are tones of lemon and fresh cut grass as underneath, but not much malt, this beer is all hops in the nose.

The taste is a bitter/citrusy splash of grapefruit on the tongue that is quickly dried out by an equally bitter but somewhat mild pine flavor. There isn't much malt to this beer, just a slight fruity sweetness that is very welcome.

The beer is perfectly carbonated and for a beer this hoppy it is also relatively low in alcohol at 6.5%. It is very bitter, dry and citrusy, but something that I could drink all night long. It has all the characteristics of a west coast DIPA as far as the hop and citrus characteristics are concerned, but they keep the sugary sweet characteristics out. In my opinion this is better than the Bottle Rocket IPA (also from Portsmouth), the Torpedo, Smuttynose Finest Kind and most other standard IPAs available; it's one of the finest beers that they have brewed at the Portsmouth Brewery yet.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a growler filled at the bar last week. I sealed it with electrical tape and kept it in the frige for one week unopened.

Appearance is a very cloudy dark luminous orange (practically opaque) with a small, creamy offwhite head. The head drops to a film quickly but leaves diaphanous panels of remembrance down the sides of the glass.

Scent is first floral and citrus with Portsmouth's characteristic fresh bread notes. On further inspection grapefruit and pine emerge.

I love the unmistakable tangy (almost like sourdough) and crusty fresh bread flavor Portmouth IPA's always have. It's like breaking open a steaming hot loaf of sourdough bread fresh from the oven and enjoying the moist tangy chewy doughy flesh and slightly bitter, slightly charred crisp crust. 5 C's shares that malt character with Bottle Rocket but has a greater citrus content. Primarily grapefruit with lime peel and orange pith. Earthy and spicy hops. Dry fragrant pine appears on the backend with a gathering bitterness that builds and lingers. The balance is remarkable; this ale is all about hops, yet the malt character is such a present and satisfying part of this ale.

Mouth begins creamy and coating and ends astringent and puckering.

Drinkability is fantastic. I could enjoy this all day.

I love this IPA to the bitter end and I wish Portsmouth would put it on more often.

4.49/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

64oz Growler

This is yet another great beer received from the man himself Kegatron, thanks again Heath! 5 Cs IPA has a body that glows sunset orange with a slight haziness throughout. The dish soap white head rises to two fingers on the pour and barely settles below that. The head is super creamy with sticky lacing covering the glass 100%. It's been awhile since I've seen a head take hold such as this one. This is one fine looking IPA to put it lightly.

Big juicy, fruity citrus greets me the second I jam my beak down into the glass. Grapefruit, tangerine, and even some mango jump out while an undercurrent of pine holds it's own in the back. The pine actually stands out more with the deeper pulls I take off this brew. The citrus is of the sweetened, candied variety and sits atop a rich caramel backbone. There is a good deal of hops tossed into this IPA and the aromas range from citrus to pine and spicy to herbal all at once. There's a very complex hoppiness to the nose.

All those hop complexities wash across the tongue with each sip. Caramel and a somewhat sweet almost tea like quality lay down the base for the generous hopping. The hops come across as citrusy up front (grapefruit, orange, and tangerine) while they're met with a nice spicy character. The piney, resinous quality doesn't come across until the swallow and slaps down a solid layer of bitterness that I'm hugely fond of. The resin lingers on my tongue long after each drink has disappeared.

The mouthfeel couldn't get much better. A soft carbonation and a moderate body make for an incredibly velvety feel. The bitterness lingers along the sides of the tongue and in the throat.

Drinkability is way up there. A pint disappears far too quickly. While the hops bring some bitterness it never gets too much to enjoy multiple glasses.

Portsmouth brews some great beers and 5 C's is right up there at the top. This really is a good IPA, one I'd love to be able to pick up in this area. I'd pass by a lot of others on the shelves to get to this one. Thanks for the great brew Heath, send more!

Reviewed: 2/28/09

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks joepais for this growler in the Growling at the Moon - The Daylight Growling Time edition. This is my first beer from Portsmouth, thanks so much Joe!

A - A bit hazy not quite cloudy, but golden colored with orange hues when held to the light. The head from the pour was about one-finger's worth with a good amount a lacing left behind on the glass as I drink it down.

S - I really loved the smell from this one! Nice bouquet of floral hops and citrus hops. Honestly I couldn't stop smelling this one over and over!!

T/M - Lives up to the smell in the hops department. Hops from the beginning. The story starts with some citrusy hops. They are gently brushed to side by some spicy notes with a little pine sprinkled in there for good measure. Despite the bitterness as you swallow it is smooth and velvety. The carbonation on this one is great, soft and just enough to keep you coming back for more. Medium mouthfeel, but the thing that hold on in your mouth is those hops!! GREAT!!

D - Simply fantastic! For all the hops in this guy, I'm impressed how easy it is to drink. At 6.5% with a ton of hops I would (if I could) drink this all the time. But one growler (with one pint going to my wife) in a night will have to do for now.

If all the other Portsmouth beers are this good, I understand the hype!! Thanks so much Joe!!

4.36/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a very attractive hazy orange from the growler into my snifter. A thin white head forms but quickly recedes and leaves behind just a skimming.

No surprise in the nose, hops, and plenty of them. Mostly fruity and citrusy notes. Taste is quite hoppy as well but there also a nice bready maltiness to balance things out perfectly. The citrus hops are the most noticeable. It's a smooth citrus flavor unlike other IPA's that can have a strong grapefruit flavor. Plenty of bitterness follows each sip but it's not overpowering.

Hop lovers will love this one but everyone will enjoy it for it's smooth drinkabilty. Flavor seems to disappear off the palate a little quickly, but this is the only real complaint I have, and it's a minor one. Very nice effort from Portsmouth Brewery. Me and the wife will have no problem finishing this growler.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

I got this is the Under 100 BIF from joepais. Thanks Joe! My first Portsmouth brew..
Pours a slightly chilled clear medium-light amber with a smallish white head that doesn't stick around long. This has great clarity and looks very inviting.
Smells very nice. Nothing really stands out for me. The hop/malt aroma kind of blends together, interesting.
This has a very interesting taste to it. I get malts up front, then nice citrus hops in the back, and after those I get an interesting spiciness at the end. I'm having a hard time pin-pointing it, but it really helps fill this beer out and also helps it stand out. Also a nice dryness at the end. I like this. Edit: Had to raise the taste grade, it was too low for this good of a beer.
5C's has a great mouthfeel. It's got a nice bitter/spicy bite, but it doesn't overpower my palate. Leaves a pleasant aftertaste.
I have a hard time putting the glass down, so the drinkability is very high. A very well made beer for sure. I am very excited to try more of their brews, and I will as I have 4 more different ones form Joe. A very nice IPA.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Thanks to CooperEllis for the bottle which I'm consuming after playing football. There's an excellent lacing and a half finger head when you pour it out. Some head remains and there's walking legs, which is pretty impressive for a low alcohol India Pale Ale. It's amber and golden hued, and it's hazy.

The beer smells like the hops that it features, which is a blend of crystal, chinook, centennial, cascade, and columbus. Hard to find 5 that go so smoothly together. This one reminds me a bit of Bell's Two Hearted. It tastes that way too, with a bite coming at the start, and some bitter lingering at the end. Malts and grapefruit and pine in the middle.

Smooth, well carbonated, easy to put back with lunch post football. I really enjoyed this one.

Now to work on getting my knee to bend properly.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

The beer poured with a thin one finger head that was white and foamy. The head slowly receded back into the beer then got working on leaving a nice amount of lacing on the inside of the glass. The beer was a clear copper/gold color (light bright amber) with no visible carbonation.

Aroma was huge, and of floral & perfume notes. There certainly was a slightly sweet and also baked bread aroma in the background. Very nice aroma.

Hop Monster flavor. This is a nice beer and I actually like it more than the Bottle Rocket (which is also very good) A nice combo of some real fresh hop notes and a fresh bread taste. Pine flavors, grapefruit and background sweetness are all evident. Big Cascade finish.

Mouth feel is medium bodied based on viscosity, but big based upon the hop presence.

Drinkability is high, as I love this beer. We were able to enjoy this today at Portsmouth Brewing. I brought home a couple bombers for trade and a growler for the next couple of days.

A very nice IPA.

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Stopped by today for lunch with #1 daughter Caitlin. Sat in the window area by the street, ate, quaffed and laxed...

Knowing this just came on, I just HAD to have some! Gots me an Imperial Pint (or 3!) of the 5 C's... Poured a smidge cloudy, with plentiful carbo rising within. Color was orangey-apricot, with a thin, fine, off-white head which left wispy traces o' lace in the glass. Aroma was robust, with a touch of malty sweetness being far outweighed by a healthy dose of citrussy hops. Body was solidly medium, and 5 passed rather nicely over the tongue, with only a light bit of carbo pricking things up.

After a "suggestion" of toasty malt sweetness, there came layer upon layer of hops which lay waste to the palate. Again, chitloads of citrus made their attack, with rindy grapefruit and pineapple coming forth, along with some tangerine-like characteristics. Hoppage lasts long and hard! Woo-hoo! Damn, this is a hop-lovers heaven!! And at a relatively easy 6.5% abv, it is supremely quaffable. Bring it!!

Zum Wohl!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | drink: 4.5

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

A seriously good beer. I could drink a lot of these, except that my palate would be numb for a long time afterward. Hazy orange color with a medium-sized white head and some nice lacing. Big hops aroma, both floral and citrus, with neither one standing out. No surprise, a big hops taste also. I think a little more on the grapefruit side, but also some pine. A dry finish. Thoroughly enjoyable; I hope it's still on tap when I get back there next week.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Presentation: On tap downstairs at the Brewery. Poured into a pint glass and served slightly chilled.

Appearance: Gold to amber in color with almost no head or retention. No sediment or haze at all.

Aroma: Strong pine and grapefruit notes from the hops are assertive. Pretty hop-centric, not getting much from the malt at all.

Taste: Nice balance of assertive bitter pine hop notes and some nice sweet citrus, although the pine hops are certainly more noticable. Again, there is some malt in the background, but the hops are front and center. Reminds me a ton of Smuttynose Finestkind.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and crisp. Very smooth and refreshing.

Drinkability: Even with the strong flavors, I feel like I could sip on these all night. A really enjoyable IPA.

Overall, I really liked this IPA. I prefer this to their other IPA, Bottle Rocket, although that is also good. Just a really nice IPA with a strong hop profile. Something I will order whenever I see it on tap.

4.15/5  rDev +1%

A: Poured from the growler into a tulip glass. Body is slightly hazy orangey-amber with a thick but short off-white head. Nice sheets of foamy lace.

S: Citrusy and florally hops. Not a terribly overwhelming nose, but it's nice for an IPA.

T: Bready malt foundation is followed by citrusy hops - grapefruit, grapefruit peel and a lemony finish that lingers nicely.

M: Call it medium in heft, modest creaminess.

O: Good stuff.

4.15/5  rDev +1%

Big thanks to Reagan1984 for this gem!

Appearance: Pours hazy copper-gold with lots of suspended yeast. Loose, rocky, white head has low retention but leaves great chunky lacing!

Smell: Lots of caramel; toasted caramel malts. Pine hops, grapefruit, and a bit of nuttiness round it out. Smells sweet and refreshing like a fresh forest rain.

Taste: Caramel, fresh-baked bread, pine hops, some tangy citrus. Nice balance, pleasant taste. Aftertaste is mildly bitter, but very clean.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and creamy yet crisp (if that makes sense). Carbonation is higher than I'd like. I don't know - this just feels a little too fizzy/crisp. I'm not really diggin the bite.

Drinkability: This is a very nice IPA. I've certainly had better, however the balance in 5 C's is great. While I don't like the mouthfeel too much, the taste and smell are very enjoyable. A very smooth IPA.

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

22oz bomber purchased at the brewery on 8/8/09. Poured into a Portsmouth goblet.

A - Pours a cloudy orange with hints of brown. Looks yeasty, but no signs of sediment in the bottle. Lots of extremely fine bubbles raise to the top after the pour and eventually form a thin head which almost immediately recedes to spotty islands of bubbles on the surface. Very thin collar forms also.

S - Lots of citrusy and piney hops in the aroma with some less prominant spicyness detected too. Not over the top hops like many west coast style IPA's, but very complex. Minimal malt comes through in this one as sweet and biscuity hints.

T - Pine flavors dominate here. Very fresh and resiny. Grapefruity citrus flavors are holding their own here too. Nice sharp bitterness that lingers. Just enough sweetness from the malts to balance this one out, without stealing the stage from the hops. Very crisp and flavorful - pretty impressive.

M - Mouthfeel is very good in this IPA. Medium body, a little bit sticky/resiny feel that lets the hops linger a good, long time on the tongue. Ample, but very fine carbonation rounds this one out nicely...lively but not harsh.

D - Really nice IPA, very crisp and bitter with lots of hop flavor. Great IPA - only 6.5%, but feels stronger, a tad heavy and filling...couldn't stay with this one all night and still feel good in the morning, but I think it might be worth it.

4.07/5  rDev -1%

Big thanks to joepais for hooking me up with a box of Portsmouth awesomeness! 22 oz. bomber poured into a tulip.

A: Cloudy copper color. The pour drops a two finger, cream colored head that recedes to a thin rim and leaves really nice sheets of lace.

A: Sweet crystal malt and tons of hops. Mango, pineapple, and clementine orange, with a touch of grass. The sweet malt balances the hops quite nicely.

T: Again, very citrusy. Loads of mango and pineapple, with sweet pine sap and honey. Alcohol is noticeable, but not prominent. Finishes dry but sweet.

M: Medium body. Lower carbonation makes for a somewhat sticky mouthfeel.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is above average but not outstanding. Overall, I think this is a pretty solid example of the style. If I didn't know this was a single IPA, I would have sworn it was a double. Big malts backing up the hops here. But really good, and I am very glad I got to try. Skal.

4.02/5  rDev -2.2%

Served into a standard pint glass at the Portsmouth Brewery.

I wonder if the glass just rinsed off by the bartender precluded solid head retention, because the head isn't too interested in sticking around at the moment. Regardless, there's a solid butterscotch body that's both cloudy and rustic. What head there is has a nice chunky seam. Carbonation is moderate; it works.

There is a big floral component but, at first, almost a sulphursish scent. There's slight citrus in there as one would expect from something called "5 C's" (Centennial, Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and...I forgot...thought it was Cluster but the bartender said Crystal). Off-sulphur thankfully makes an exit. In short (too late), this smells like a ballsy IPA.

Holy crap, that's a fresh hop pucker. All grapefruit rind, all the time. Slight light caramel malt backbone. Slight. One-trick pony? Maybe. I'll give the benefit of the doubt; consider Major Charles Emerson Winchester the Thiiiddd: "I do one thing...I do it very well...and then...I move on."

Gotta love the tight hop pucker on this one. Even better on the palate feel than on the taste buds. It may be a little green but it is quite good.

Truthfully, this one burns a little. Not from the booze but the hops. This is like sucking on a hop flower. Crazy. Still, quite an enjoyable pour.

4.02/5  rDev -2.2%

Big thanks to Ben for this bottle.

Pours a hazy golden amber that clears up as it warms and shows a small soapy beige head that never recedes completely and leaves only spotty lacing.

Aroma is full of pithy citrus and resinous pine. There are some spicy, herbal notes as well as a lightly toasted malt presence.

The taste is highly astringent at first with pithy grapefruit and pine, especially in the finish. As it warms, it mellows a bit with the sweet caramel malts and more of the juicy citrus showing up.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and sticky with hops lingering on the palate making for a bitter finish.

A hop-forward IPA from Portsmouth that's pretty heavy on the astringency but not as flavorful as I would like give the huge hop profile.

Tap at brew pub.

Light fizzy head with lacing, hazy golden orange.

Nose light pine citrus, some fresh hop must, light grassy hops, very light malty base, sweet hoppy fruits.

Taste is fairly bitter, lots of fresh musty hop resins, little oils too, some pine, touch of citrus and tropical fruit, but pine dominates, light juicy fruit. Long bitter finish, dries a bit, lots of musty hops.

Mouth is med with decent carb.

Drink is decent, no booze but long bitterness that builds.

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

This is a case of preference, not really quality... I happen to come of age in Portland and started drinking west coast hop bombs, don't get me wrong, the very best west coast hop bombs. But, I realized that I strongly prefer balance to my beer.

Thus, the 5Cs is one of my favorite hoppy IPAs. I almost always want a bit more body than I get, but, I'll put back a few pints of these any time it's on.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast